• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bakkus

Anyone else remember that Chris Finch from The Office had a pretty big role in season 2? Why have they just forgotten about him, I want to see him return now that the Ironborn are relevant again.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I would love a scene where she makes Dany look like a clown.

Also with that said, does Dany even understand Westerosi politics? Or is the assumption that Tyrion is filling her in on the goings on. I imagine her being pretty confused that there's a king in the north and cersei as queen. Or is she knowledgable about things going on in Westeros. I think they've implied that she isn't.
Dany knows jack shit about Westeros. For the longest time she bought into her brother's bullshit that everyone loved her father and that the kingdom was filled with secret Targ supporters who would rise up for her. She's had to be constantly reminded that she needs allies in Westeros, that the common people don't give a shit who is king and that Westeros isn't going to take kindly to be taken be force by Dothraki hoards. Until recently she viewed all Lannisters, Starks and Baratheons as enemies and I'm not sure she even knew what the fuck a "Greyjoys" was.

Dany's weakness is always going to be that she's a shitty ruler who doesn't understand the places she conquerors.

Speevy

Banned
Anyone else remember that Chris Finch from The Office had a pretty big role in season 2? Why have they just forgotten about him, I want to see him return now that the Ironborn are relevant again.

Dagmer was flayed by Ramsay Bolton when he burned down Winterfell.

grandjedi6

He was substitute Ramsey. He stopped serving a purpose when actual Ramsey was cast.

Also I'm pretty sure Ramsey killed his character off screen at some point.

bengraven

I've never heard about this. Care to elaborate?

Maybe I'm remembering her words incorrectly, but I remember an interview with her that seemed to interpret her relationship with Robert much differently than in the books, as well as a few other things. I'll have to find the interview again.

Gigglepoo

Good people don't bake their enemies into pies, which is a problem for both Arya and Wyman Manderly.

Totally agree. And don't forget, Manderly eats the pies (and asks for seconds!) in the books. Just because he's my favorite minor character ("Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived he would have grown up to be a Frey") doesn't mean he's a good person.

Vire

Sansa's story in the show is a mess. They still haven't verified whether she is a dumb but good like every other Stark or if she's cunning but evil like everyone else who plays the game. The show probably wants us to believe that she's cunning but good, however that's an impossible situation after this season.
She is somewhere in between,just like her mother.

I don't think it's that off base.

grandjedi6

I think it's clear that D and D did listen to some feedback as they pondered the events that would eventually form season 6.

It's likely that they are still deciding on the conflicts that form season 7.

One thing this show has usually done well is characterizations that lead to life or death conflict. In other words, characters don't usually try to kill each other unless they might have done so in the books. So I imagine a little spat between Sansa and Jon, nothing more.
Yeah, D&D are pretty good at changing plot lines to match the characterizations that the majority of the audience seemed to agree upon. Hence the sand snakes going from female empowered bad asses to dipshit betrayers who Olenna calls out.

Two of the primary antagonists for next season seem pretty set (Cersei & Littlefinger) but I bet they retool Euron.

Damn. Off-screened and unnamed. That's pretty sad for a Game of Thrones death.

Kallor

Okay I really hate Sansa again thanks.

Yeah pretty soon shes gonna be yelling at Jon how she wants to have Littlefingers beady eyed rat children.

Two of the primary antagonists for next season seem pretty set (Cersei & Littlefinger) but I bet they retool Euron.

TWoW Spoilers:
DAT valyrian steel armor

There has got to be a better way to make a graph like this.

There are so many better ways to do this. This was seriously just someone who got a cuh-raaaaazy idea and thought LOL COOL instead of "oh, information presentation." Ugh.

But I just saw it elsewhere too and was gonna bring it here to see if you Tyrion truthers had noticed he was left off. YOUR MYSTERY CONTINUES

Vire

The way some people defend Sansa's decision to feed Ramsay to the dogs, you'd think any death is fair game if it's for revenge.
How was it not justifiable? She was raped by him and he killed her brother.

Man, Sansa could have done worse and I would have been okay with it.

Speevy

Banned
Sansa's yes. Arya's no.

Well Arya was there and from outside listened helplessly as Walder Frey killed her brother, mother, and all of his soldiers. She was there, so it was fitting that she would be there again. I think it's the pie bit that puts people off. Book Arya would so have killed Walder Frey and his sons.

Black_Sun

I mean it's fiction and I recognize the enjoyment for theatrics by baking someone into a pie. I don't really take it at face value, it's too over the top.

Well then you're not taking it the way the author nor the producers want you to.

There's an interview where they talk about how disturbing Sansa is for doing that.

Gigglepoo

I'll never understand what form of torturous death is alright for good characters to do and which is going too far.

I mean it's fiction and I recognize the enjoyment for theatrics by baking someone into a pie. I don't really take it at face value, it's too over the top.

So are there any "good' or "bad" people in fiction? Or is everyone morally neutral, solely judged by how much entertainment you get from their actions.

Black_Sun

Well Arya was there and from outside listened helplessly as Walder Frey killed her brother, mother, and all of his soldiers. She was there, so it was fitting that she would be there again. I think it's the pie bit that puts people off. Book Arya would so have killed Walder Frey and his sons.

Book Arya is a very disturbing person too maybe moreso than Show Arya.

But Book Arya likes to do ironic deaths more than sadistic punishment like Show Arya.

Speevy

Banned
I'll never understand what form of torturous death is alright for good characters to do and which is going too far.

Ned Stark believed in justice. He also felt aht the person who passed the sentence should swing the sword. Presumably, the standard for justifiable deaths are those in which someone is guilty, has the chance to speak for themselves, and are given a quick and painless end.

How was it not justifiable? She was raped by him and he killed her brother.

Man, Sansa could have done worse and I would have been okay with it.
If she was her father's daughter, she would have hung him or had him executed him cleanly, instead of acting like the wife of a Bolton and torturing a prisoner to death

dabig2

Good people don't bake their enemies into pies, which is a problem for both Arya and Wyman Manderly.

Wyman Manderly was MVP of ADWD for that cold ass shit. Too bad he got nerf'd in the show and they gave all of his cool parts to Arya and the bear cub.

Vire

So are there any "good' or "bad" people in fiction? Or is everyone morally neutral, solely judged by how much entertainment you get from their actions.
I feel like there's a significant difference between letting dogs maul someone to death and going through painstaking efforts like a serial killer to put them in a pie. But that's just me.

Black_Sun

Wyman Manderly was MVP of ADWD for that cold ass shit. Too bad he got nerf'd in the show and they gave all of his cool parts to Arya and the bear cub.

I find it funny that his best parts were given to two little girls and his last scene is being chastised by one of them

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Book Arya is a very disturbing person too maybe moreso than Show Arya.
Book Arya tends to be smarter about things and can think strategically.

She's what any version of Sansa is not.

I mainly think it's hilarious that Arya's revenge is being framed by some as bad while Sansa's is being framed as proof of her becoming a genuis tactician.

Gigglepoo

Ned Stark believed in justice. He also felt aht the person who passed the sentence should swing the sword. Presumably, the standard for justifiable deaths are those in which someone is guilty, has the chance to speak for themselves, and are given a quick and painless end.

Well, I obviously agree with that. But there are a lot of people who defend what Sansa did so I have no idea where other people draw the line. If Ramsay had fed someone to the dogs (and he did!) we would condemn him. There's no doubt about that. But Sansa can do it and it's alright? Seems like that's the case for some people. It must be nice to be a "good guy"

I feel like there's a significant difference between letting dogs maul someone to death and going through painstaking efforts like a serial killer to put them in a pie. But that's just me.

So when Ramsay fed Fat Walda to dogs you were alright with that? Good people feed their enemies to dogs?

I mainly think it's hilarious that Arya's revenge is being framed by some as bad while Sansa's is being framed as proof of her becoming a genuis tactician.

Exactly. Fucked up is fucked up no matter how nice we think the character is.

Vire

Well, I obviously agree with that. But there are a lot of people who defend what Sansa did so I have no idea where other people draw the line. If Ramsay had fed someone to the dogs (and he did!) we would condemn him. There's no doubt about that. But Sansa can do it and it's alright? Seems like that's the case for some people. It must be nice to be a "good guy"

So when Ramsay fed Fat Walda to dogs you were alright with that? Good people feed their enemies to dogs?

Exactly. Fucked up is fucked up no matter how nice we think the character is.
Well I mean they were based on completely different motivations, Ramsey feeding Fat Walda to the dogs was out of selfish lust for power, not a burning sense of (justifiable) revenge. Similarly, you have to look at the context of who was being killed by the dogs, an innocent person vs. a crazed murderous, torturous, rapist psychopath. It's not like people would have shed a tear if Hitler died in some incredibly gruesome fashion.

Gigglepoo

Well I mean they were based on completely different motivations, Ramsey feeding Fat Walda to the dogs was out of selfish lust for power, not a burning sense of (justifiable) revenge. Similarly, you have to look at the context of who was being killed by the dogs, an innocent person vs. a crazed murderous, torturous, rapist psychopath. It's not like people would have shed a tear if Hitler died in some incredibly gruesome fashion.

So if the creators wanted to show that Sansa had been warped by Ramsay, that she did have a piece of him inside her, how would they have showed that influence? Because killing someone in the identical way that Ramsay did earlier in the season is a pretty good indication to me that Sansa is following in her torturer's footsteps.

Speevy

Banned
Sansa has an evil Bolton baby growing inside her, making her evil.

As it grows, Sansa's eyes become red, her skin begins to blacken, and her decisions become more Baelish.

Plainly this.

Good people can do bad things. Jury is still out on if Sansa is actually good though. She might still be the jealous child that she was years ago. We'll see.

KahooTs

Everyone pursuing justifiable revenge will result in a divided realm and Others/WW victory. Arya will turn from the course of darkness before its too late, Sansa... maybe she's the show's Lady Stoneheart in arc/descent.

Gigglepoo

Plainly this.

Good people can do bad things. Jury is still out on if Sansa is actually good though. She might still be the jealous child that she was years ago. We'll see.

That's my problem. People are saying what Sansa did wasn't bad even though the show has made a point over and over again that only psychopaths relish killing people. Her feeding Ramsay to the dogs and then smiling (smiling!) is so different than when Jon reluctant hanged his murderers and stormed away that I don't understand how anyone can argue what she did was justified. It's like we're watching two different show/living in two different worlds.

mantidor

Sansa did not kill "like" Ramsay. Sansa did not kill anyone technically.

The whole idea was to bring his arrogance down, as we saw, he almost enjoyed Jon punching him to a pulp, torture wasn't going to do it, and he tortured in worse ways anyway. It was to see his games (starving the dogs so they would eat anything) on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom