• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't find it at all surprising if GRRM, in his desire to not take the standard route, does have Dany despite all her good intentions, turn out to not be a positive force. She is, after all, leaving hundreds of thousands of dead people in her wake in her obsessive quest to be the ruler of a country she's never seen.

Backed predominantly by an army who rape and plunder those whom they conquer.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
She is hellbent on conquering a country she's never set foot in, bringing raping barbarians, raping pirates, and literal monsters to help her do it, just because she insists it belongs to her. She is not going as some savior. She doesn't know a damn thing about Westeros, its people, or its problems.

Sansa will sort it all out since she's apparently the person we need most.

Cromwell

Banned
I wouldn't find it at all surprising if GRRM, in his desire to not take the standard route, does have Dany despite all her good intentions, turn out to not be a positive force. She is, after all, leaving hundreds of thousands of dead people in her wake in her obsessive quest to be the ruler of a country she's never seen.

I would love this. I hope there's a fair bit of the book left after the white walkers are taken care of, that to me has the potential to be very interesting as everyone left standing figures out how Westeros goes forward from there.

In LotR (the books), I really loved the chapters following Sauron's defeat in RotK. Little things like Saruman getting unceremoniously killed and Frodo being so shellshocked he had to go away forever.

I would love this. I hope there's a fair bit of the book left after the white walkers are taken care of, that to me has the potential to be very interesting as everyone left standing figures out how Westeros goes forward from there.

In LotR (the books), I really loved the chapters following Sauron's defeat in RotK. Little things like Saruman getting unceremoniously killed and Frodo being so shellshocked he had to go away forever.

I love those bits in LotR as well- it keeps things grounded, and subverts the trope that once you kill the baddest guy in the room, everything becomes peaceful.

Krogan

Backed predominantly by an army who rape and plunder those whom they conquer.

I won't be surprised if Dany telling Yara that the Ironborn days of reaving are over to be the last we hear if it, same with the Dothraki. Even tho telling slavers to stop slaving didn't work out for her (until just now) I just don't think there is time to do a subplot dealing with the consequences of her alliances with troublesome factions.

I won't be surprised if Dany telling Yara that the Ironborn days of reaving are over to be the last we hear if it, same with the Dothraki. Even tho telling slavers to stop slaving didn't work out for her (until just now) I just don't think there is time to do a subplot dealing with the consequences of her alliances with troublesome factions.

Dany will send the dothraki to attack the wights and white walkers before remembering she has 3 dragons that can melt them. No more dothraki to worry about.

dubq

1) Bran and Meera know the Three-Eyed Raven's Cave was protected by magic
2) Bran and Meera know that Bran has been marked by the Night King
3) Bran and Meera know that mark dissolved the magic
4) Benjen told Bran and Meera that The Wall has magic that protects it from the White Walkers.

If Bran and Meera willing walk past The Wall and destroy its magic that's going to be incredibly stupid, especially if they're somehow surprised by this happening. Also, why didn't Benjen mention this before leaving them a mile north of The Wall (with no horse!)?

My question is, how were those wights able to survive past the wall at Castle Black in Book 1/Season 1? That same magic, if it is the same, was shattering the undead as they tried to enter the cave, but they had no problems rising and attacking LC Mormont.

Corpekata

Banned
My question is, how were those wights able to survive past the wall at Castle Black in Book 1/Season 1? That same magic, if it is the same, was shattering the undead as they tried to enter the cave, but they had no problems rising and attacking LC Mormont.

It likely works the same as the cave, there is a barrier that cannot be crossed (the Wall) but if they get past it somehow, like moving over the cave and falling in, they are fine. In this case they rose past the barrier.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
LF's pawn, Robert Arryn.

I really can't see Dany putting up with Arryn or the show letting her marry a child. Plus Littlefinger would rather have Dany marry him not Arryn, if he had the choice.

Either way, Dany's allies would never let her fall for Littlefinger's plot like that.

The whole King in the North set up would have literally no impact if Jon just happily marries his aunt, also goes against the believes of the 7 and the old gods, even the Wildlings shun it. And i'm not sure wether it's ok with the believers of the red god. I have a hard time believing that everyone in Westeros would just come to terms with yet another Targaryen incest marriage.

Plus, everytime the show showed incest, it's connected to being bad, Cersei/Jaime playing a big part why Westeros is a f*cked up as it is, Targaryen madness (which btw. doesn't hit until later in a Targ's life), Craster and his "sacrifices".

Finally, there's the issue of a heir. As pointed out, incest is bad, and even if it wasn't, Dany can't have any children. And Starks are not really the world's biggest makers of bastards, so there would be a royal pair without any children, or (unlikely) only bastard children.

TL/DR: I have my doubts about Jon/Dany, it has too many problematic connections. I find it more believable (still unlikely) that Westeros will be seperated and both mind their own business. ^^
I think this series long ago passed the point of incest being a contentious point. Since it's not siblings it probably won't even phase anyone.

And Dany's barren regardless of who she marries so that doesn't matter. The realm being saved by a loveless unconsummated marriage between Jon and Dany would be pretty appropriate for this series.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the show is going down this route either way.

1) Bran and Meera know the Three-Eyed Raven's Cave was protected by magic
2) Bran and Meera know that Bran has been marked by the Night King
3) Bran and Meera know that mark dissolved the magic
4) Benjen told Bran and Meera that The Wall has magic that protects it from the White Walkers.

If Bran and Meera willing walk past The Wall and destroy its magic that's going to be incredibly stupid, especially if they're somehow surprised by this happening. Also, why didn't Benjen mention this before leaving them a mile north of The Wall (with no horse!)?
Most of these problems disappear if you assume Benjen is evil though.

Gigglepoo

Kind of? Though he wouldn't have mentioned The Wall's magic if he was evil because that gives Bran and Meera enough information to ensure they won't go to the other side. If he was evil, he would have tricked them to go South. Now? It doesn't make much sense.

grandjedi6

Kind of? Though he wouldn't have mentioned The Wall's magic if he was evil because that gives Bran and Meera enough information to ensure they won't go to the other side. If he was evil, he would have tricked them to go South. Now? It doesn't make much sense.
He specifically told Bran to go to the wall and hang out there until the Night Kings army arrived. Perhaps the magic needed to undue the wall's magic has to be activated in close proximity? And that merely walking past it isn't enough.

Plus Bran is probably assuming his mark isn't enough to take down the wall since neither the 3 eyed Raven nor Benjen mentioned it to him and he trusts them both.

dubq

It likely works the same as the cave, there is a barrier that cannot be crossed (the Wall) but if they get past it somehow, like moving over the cave and falling in, they are fine. In this case they rose past the barrier.

Oh, so like they were brought over as corpses and then resurrected beyond the wall? Could definitely be a thing.

Gigglepoo

He specifically told Bran to go to the wall and hang out there until the Night Kings army arrived.

Is there a chance Benjen is working with the Others? I know it's impossible to figure out how the books are going to differ, but I do think Benjen is going to show up again. And I can't imagine he'll have the identical role as Coldhands (like he does in the show). Maybe there will be a story of betrayal once it's revealed Benjen's mind has been co-opted by the White Walkers?

Ledsen

Can anyone explain the scene with Ned and his sister? I don't get it... What happened exactly, where are they, why are they there and who is the father (I assume a Targaryen)?

Aiii

So not worth it
Can anyone explain the scene with Ned and his sister? I don't get it... What happened exactly, where are they, why are they there and who is the father (I assume a Targaryen)?

Rhaegar "kidnapped" Lyanna, which kickstarted Robert's rebellion. They fled to the Tower of Joy, where eventually Ned "liberated" her only to find out she had a kid with Rhaegar. To protect Jon, Ned took him and pretended he was his so Robert wouldn't kill him as he did the other Targaryen offspring.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Robert's_Rebellion

grandjedi6

Is there a chance Benjen is working with the Others? I know it's impossible to figure out how the books are going to differ, but I do think Benjen is going to show up again. And I can't imagine he'll have the identical role as Coldhands (like he does in the show). Maybe there will be a story of betrayal once it's revealed Benjen's mind has been co-opted by the White Walkers?
I think that's a very definite possibility. Benjen could even be a more willing traitor in the books if any of the theories involving the Others being more cultured and less evil pan out. As for the show, the only reason Bran and the audience trust him is because he's Benjen. But all his actions line up if he was also an agent of the Night King who wanted to get Bran to the wall. It's also suspicious that he claims to be allies of the 3 eyed Raven yet the Raven never mentioned him.

While I'm sure the show won't go into it as much, I wouldn't be surprised if Benjen was the first step in revealing that the Others can talk and have a broader purpose.

Just remember that we've had crazy fan theories for much every event in this season (Umber Conspiracy, Waif being Arya's split personality, High Sparrow is Howland Reed) and none of them panned out, what we saw was what we got.

Mist

Banned
I really can't see Dany putting up with Arryn or the show letting her marry a child. Plus Littlefinger would rather have Dany marry him not Arryn, if he had the choice.

Either way, Dany's allies would never let her fall for Littlefinger's plot like that.

I think this series long ago passed the point of incest being a contentious point. Since it's not siblings it probably won't even phase anyone.

And Dany's barren regardless of who she marries so that doesn't matter. The realm being saved by a loveless unconsummated marriage between Jon and Dany would be pretty appropriate for this series.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure the show is going down this route either way.

Didn't she bleed/miscarriage in A Dance with Dragons? No idea if that means if she's gonna be barren or fertile in the show of course.

grandjedi6

Just remember that we've had crazy fan theories for much every event in this season (Umber Conspiracy, Waif being Arya's split personality, High Sparrow is Howland Reed) and none of them panned out, what we saw was what we got.
The difference is that all those theories were convulted and near impossible to portray in the show. Benjen being evil just comes down to showing him chilling with the Night King when the wall falls.

Didn't she bleed/miscarriage in A Dance with Dragons? No idea if that means if she's gonna be barren or fertile in the show of course.
Her period came early and heavier than usual which concerned her and made her think she was sick. A running fan theory is that she miscarried due to the Drogo prophecy having been completed. The show isn't going down this route though.

Black_Sun

My theory is that as Aegon unites the south, he hears about the North and Euron and gathers two different armies to help the North and Reach out simultaneously and then Daenerys come out of nowhere and attacks him which then domino effects into Stannis having to sacrifice his daughter because no one is coming to help as he's surrounded by WW at Winterfell.

Gigglepoo

Ha! You're so right. It would be funny to resurrect Benjen for only two (minor) scenes, though. There has to be something more for his character to do or else it seems like a waste. But I do agree that the simplest solution is almost always right on the show.

Crisco

Banned
Btw, is Benjen supposed to be
Coldhands
or were they confirmed to be two entirely different characters?

Gigglepoo

Btw, is Benjen supposed to be
Coldhands
or were they confirmed to be two entirely different characters?

In a post-show interview. D&D referred to him as Benjen Coldhands. Seems like they just combined Benjen and Coldhands on the show. Also, no need to spoiler tag anything in this thread except for leaked episode and The Winds of Winter preview chapters.

bitbydeath

Not sure if already posted but that Battle of the Bastards was pretty much all CG.

got_1.jpg

got_2.jpg

got_3.jpg

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ent...ll-was-made-in-australia-20160630-gpv86v.html

There were a few times when the "strings" showed but overall, fantastic use of CG. I assumed they had to have a lot, else they just had the best trained horses in the galaxy.

Extremely cool.

Kozak

Banned
Can't believe we're gonna have a year of arguing over if Dany is good or bad

5CtE9sq.png

Someone theorizes that the reason Sam took Heartsbane is he's gonna reverse engineer the shit out of it.

NeoGiff

As soon as news/set reports of season 7 start coming out, I'm checking out of this thread. Time for my first full blackout since season 1. It's been a pleasure, and as always, madness has had its day.

As soon as news/set reports of season 7 start coming out, I'm checking out of this thread. Time for my first full blackout since season 1. It's been a pleasure, and as always, madness has had its day.

See you on the other side! We'll still be debating about Dany and Sansa, no doubt. :D

Mr Git

There were a few times when the "strings" showed but overall, fantastic use of CG. I assumed they had to have a lot, else they just had the best trained horses in the galaxy.

Extremely cool.

Agreed. Although they still do seem to have amazingly trained horses. The making of video of that episode still has horses crossing each other at speed and falling - and that incredible shot of Jon with 40 horsemen riding towards him. <3

RPGamer92

Banned
I still kinda hope that Jon is the child of a drunken one night stand between Ned and Lyanna. Just for ironic reasons considering Ned was investigating Cersei and Jamie during season 1.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if Tommen actually jumped out a window and fell into a net, or if there was some kind of trick.

I know they didn't have the actor face plant on the bushes or anything.

Of course it was...

Did you think they said "Ok Kit, we need you to practice this movement and path and nail it so you don't get trampled by the horses we are going to send stampeding from both sides at you"

Well some of that is solved by just shooting with long lenses. Compresses the action a lot laterally.

This whole behind the scenes video of the battle shooting is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93k4uhpf7g

Speevy

Banned
Has to be a cushion like 2 feet under the window edge.

Yeah, with the sept burning being the green screen. I was responding to the pictures of Wun Wun CG and all that.

I'm always interested to learn how they did certain things. What always interests me is how some simple things you think are real are not really there, and some really spectacular things are right there on the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom