• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krogan

I wonder what they can do to make Littlefinger dangerous, as it is right now he has the Vale and an alliance with a weak North with likely no interest in fighting the south. For openly backing the North he won't have Cersei on his side. Varys on the other hand has damn near everyone else on his side. Both Littlefinger and Cersei hardly seem like threats to anybody as it is now, idk how they are going to make it an interesting fight (If there even is a fight). The only thing I can see is if Littlefinger tries to cause chaos within the Daenerys alliance through infighting.

CloudWolf

So...I just found out that many years ago, Carice van Houten was in a family film where she played a cat who got transformed into a human woman on account of getting covered by radioactive waste.

I feel like this is the most significant human discovery since the invention of the wheel.

Huh? They dubbed Minoes in English? Why?

This was basically the film that introduced Carice van Houten to the general public in The Netherlands. It was shot in my hometown and kind of a big deal considering they never shot films in my town, I still remember how I went to the film set as a little kid. Good times.

I wonder what they can do to make Littlefinger dangerous, as it is right now he has the Vale and an alliance with a weak North with likely no interest in fighting the south. For openly backing the North he won't have Cersei on his side. Varys on the other hand has damn near everyone else on his side. Both Littlefinger and Cersei hardly seem like threats to anybody as it is now, idk how they are going to make it an interesting fight (If there even is a fight). The only thing I can see is if Littlefinger tries to cause chaos within the Daenerys alliance through infighting.

I think Littlefinger's on the final stretch of his story the same way that S6 was the end of the line for Marg/the Faith. They had a plan, but overall the writers were just looking to get them to a place where they could be killed off wholesale. Politics in KL is pretty much dead going forward with Cersei sitting on the top of the pile.

They'll play with the idea that Sansa is going to stick it to Jon to put herself ahead but ultimately she'd only going to get close to Littlefinger to put him down for good. He'll stay in the North and be dead by the end of season 7, I really doubt he's going to get involved in the other storylines. The North is the end of the road for him.

I think Littlefinger's on the final stretch of his story the same way that S6 was the end of the line for Marg/the Faith. They had a plan, but overall the writers were just looking to get them to a place where they could be killed off wholesale. Politics in KL is pretty much dead going forward with Cersei sitting on the top of the pile.

They'll play with the idea that Sansa is going to stick it to Jon to put herself ahead but ultimately she'd only going to get close to Littlefinger to put him down for good. He'll stay in the North and be dead by the end of season 7, I really doubt he's going to get involved in the other storylines. The North is the end of the road for him.

I would like LF to get desperate and reach out to Euron, culminating in Mr "Chaos-is-a-ladder" getting annihilated by the true force of chaos in the world, Euron the God-Murderer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bran bringing down the magic of the Wall by crossing it after being touched by the Night King doesn't make a lick of sense. Otherwise the NK would have just touched somebody thousands of years ago and let him cross back to nullify the magic. For example, the deserter that Ned killed at the beginning of the series.

The magic of the cave was some Children of the Forest stuff, the Wall is something else as far as I know.

I keep thinking that all the various "art" the WW have made out of body parts, is one long counterspell to break the magic of The Wall. The patterns are based off the COTF, and I'd like to think those would have more of a purpose than just "being there". They've shown off 3 or 4 of those bodypiece art in the show.

Huh? They dubbed Minoes in English? Why?

This was basically the film that introduced Carice van Houten to the general public in The Netherlands. It was shot in my hometown and kind of a big deal considering they never shot films in my town, I still remember how I went to the film set as a little kid. Good times.

Great film. Love Theo Maassen in it as well.

Black_Sun

Why do you think the showrunners veered from the books so that Jon knows Bran is alive?

I have no idea. Maybe they thought it'd be frustrating for the audience being this far in and you'd have the Starks having mistaken information that could get confusing for a casual audience.

Like in the books, Jon thinks Arya, Rickon and Bran are dead and Sansa is missing.

Sansa thinks all her brothers and sisters are dead except for Jon.

Arya thinks Bran and Rickon are dead.

Bran is the only that thinks all his siblings are alive. He doesn't yet know about Robb.

Rickon idk

Cromwell

Banned
Bran bringing down the magic of the Wall by crossing it after being touched by the Night King doesn't make a lick of sense. Otherwise the NK would have just touched somebody thousands of years ago and let him cross back to nullify the magic. For example, the deserter that Ned killed at the beginning of the series.

The magic of the cave was some Children of the Forest stuff, the Wall is something else as far as I know.

The show has broken logical consistency in far worse ways than this, if it happens. Wun Wun in BotB most recently comes to mind.

duckroll

Bran's mark won't bring down the Wall for a very simple reason - If it were the case, Benjen wouldn't be bringing them back south. He obviously knows a lot about the magic of the North now, and him saving Bran was part of his mission. So is him bringing Bran back south.

Bran's mark won't bring down the Wall for a very simple reason - If it were the case, Benjen wouldn't be bringing them back south. He obviously knows a lot about the magic of the North now, and him saving Bran was part of his mission. So is him bringing Bran back south.

Unless Benjen wasn't saved by the Children of the Forest like he said...

Cromwell

Banned

I think it would be kind of fucking rad if Benjen ended up serving the Night King.

Straight up Mouth of Sauron. He meets with Jon to negotiate before the Night King invades, Jon says something about him not being his uncle anymore, and then cuts his fucking head off.

Considering the mark wasn't mentioned in any way after 'The Door', I think it's probably pretty safe to assume it just killed the magical protection that guarded that tree cave location.

No. The actual succession was unclear. That's about as deep as it went.

Cerci only ever claimed that at her coronation.

Tommen's heir is Daenerys.

If we're still treating Tommen as a Baratheon and not a Lannister incest baby Tommen's heir is Daenerys. lol

Through Robert Baratheon, Tommen's great-grandmother is Rhaelle Targaryen. Rhaelle was the sister of Jaehaerys II whom was the father of Aerys II the Mad King. Dany is the last remaining Targaryen so she's the rightful heir.

Moff

euron needs to bring down the wall, they cast him for a reason. right now yara might just as well have won the kingsmoot.
if bran brings it down by accident that would be superlame

euron needs to bring down the wall, they cast him for a reason. right now yara might just as well have won the kingsmoot.
if bran brings it down by accident that would be superlame

He is going to ally with Cersei and whip out his large, throbbing dragon horn when Dany attacks King's Landing

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I've been anticipating a Cersei/Euron alliance as well. But the list of directors next season suggests to me a reasonable (though surely not absolute) chance that we'll lack a huge spectacular gee-whiz battle sequence for the first time since Season 3. Mylod and Podeswa have never been handed those reins and I doubt they would be now; Taylor might be given the keys, I guess, but that's really not his strength.

Bringing back Taylor makes me think of more focused, smaller-scale climactic scenes for the season, which makes me think the Blackwater 2.0 I'd previously anticipated might be shorter and more clipped than I'd previously figured, and the real drama will be in the throne room. Insert valonqar theories here, of course.

So basically, as for Euron, I dunno. We might still see an epic clash of fleets, but maybe we won't? If Sapochnik or Marshall had been tapped for 2017 I'd say bank on it, but...

dabig2

Poor Meera going to have to piggyback Bran's big ass for at least a mile back to the Wall. She's the true MVP and if she doesn't attain Lady of Winterfell status through Bran at the end, I don't know man. I just don't know.

Black_Sun

Poor Meera going to have to piggyback Bran's big ass for at least a mile back to the Wall. She's the true MVP and if she doesn't attain Lady of Winterfell status through Bran at the end, I don't know man. I just don't know.

It's gonna suck for her if she marries Bran. She won't be getting any action from him. Dude is paralyzed from the waist down.

Vyer

It wouldn't necessarily have to be just 'somebody'. Bran is rather unique.

Madness

Yeah I really don't get that theory that a mere mark can bring down the wall.

The magic of the 3ER cave was more about being hidden. The Wall is obviously more powerful than that.

That same magic protected the cave so dead things could not enter. Otherwise why even have the scene with the mark or the earthquake scene.

Benjen didn't know Bran was touched. All he knew was the three eyed raven sent for him to help him escape.

In the show world, this season should make it blatantly obvious to everyone watching that if they showed it or talked about it, there is a reason for it. Just watch as the episode Bran finally crosses the wall and it comes down, we have a previously on and it shows the Three Eyed Raven say he touched you, he can now his mark is on you and we see the Night King do the earthquake to remind everyone when he does it for real.

Danys whole story has been leading to the Iron Throne, as Queen.

Jon's story has been leading him to be the hero who fights back the White Walkers.

But it will be reversed. Danys destiny will lie North vs the Walkers. Jons will be the Iron Throne. Dany will die.

Fits with the house of the undying scene. As Dany reaches for the Iron Throne, she stops. Snow is on the throne. She then goes North, where she meets. Drogo again.

Cromwell

Banned
Danys whole story has been leading to the Iron Throne, as Queen.

Jon's story has been leading him to be the hero who fights back the White Walkers.

But it will be reversed. Danys destiny will lie North vs the Walkers. Jons will be the Iron Throne. Dany will die.

Fits with the house of the undying scene. As Dany reaches for the Iron Throne, she stops. Snow is on the throne. She then goes North, where she meets. Drogo again.

Dany has to die. She's made too many mistakes and been too stupid to get out of this thing alive.

Jon though is totally sitting on the throne at the end, or at least hailed as the hero of Westeros or something. If there's one main character to the series, it's him.

Madness

Agree. Don't know why people think Dany is a capable leader. All she has done is make mistake after mistake being arrogant and selfish and thinking she knows best. She is just as violent as her father too. She is a leader why? Because she is immune from fire and has 3 dragons.

rando14

Dany has to die. She's made too many mistakes and been too stupid to get out of this thing alive.

Jon though is totally sitting on the throne at the end, or at least hailed as the hero of Westeros or something. If there's one main character to the series, it's him.

Really, I don't think Dany has to die? She's made mistakes but she seems to have a really good group advising her now. Assuming that the show doesn't ham up the "Mad Queen" story for her (seems like they'll give that role to Cersei), I think Dany has a very good shot of being queen when all is said and done.

Now whether Kings Landing is still standing is another story lol. Maybe she'll move the throne back to Dragonstone?

Cromwell

Banned
Really, I don't think Dany has to die? She's made mistakes but she seems to have a really good group advising her now. Assuming that the show doesn't ham up the "Mad Queen" story for her (seems like they'll give that role to Cersei), I think Dany has a very good shot of being queen when all is said and done.

GRRM isn't about letting stupidity slide, almost every major character who's done something foolish or misjudged a situation has ultimately payed for it with their lives. Dany has been a naive fool for so long, only saved by her advisers most of the time, that if she's rewarded for it in the end it would just seem wrong for the tone of the series.

Even Stannis, probably the most intelligent character currently alive in the books (aside from LF and Varys) as well as the most proficient military commander, seems destined for death just because of how harsh his circumstances are.

KahooTs

Dany will die and become a dragon in the books. In the show I dunno, they sort of went there with the Drogo HOTU scene, but I really don't think they're going to give her the book ending in the show as that's going to stem from fantasy story lies that they're just not doing. They'll probably give her some heroic sacrifice in battle to save the world, that she's not meant to rule but to save is something simple enough they can recreate.

_Ryo_

I think anyone expecting Dany's dragons to straight up annihilate the white walkers are in for a rude awakening. It would just be way too easy.

But besides that, when Dany arrives in Kings Landing and talks with Cersci (assuming Jamie hasn't executed her and that Dany even gives anyone time to explain themselves before commanding Dracaras) do you think she'll throw the incest in Cersi's face and shame her for it and label her a heretic? It would be quite ironic as Targs are known to intermarry and it was actually a part of their political system. But Dany was abused by her brother, both sexually and then sold off to slavery to be used as a pawn, so it would be amazing to see a Targaryn who everyone knows are incestuous, lamblasting a Lanister, who might be openly displaying her incestual ways. I mean she stopped the sparrows, killed all of the lords and such, there really is nothing to stop her from marrying Jamie, and proclaiming him king reagant or hand of the queen. Except for Qyburn is hand of the queen. New rule: There can be two hands! (I dont think Jamie wants that or anything from the mad queen) but shes deluded and stupid, so her sense of perception is all warped.

It would just be hilarious to me that Dany comes, points out that Cersi is a self professed brother fucker who has no rights to the throne, in front of a public audience and the small folk take Dany's side and rebel against Lannisters without Dany having to use a thread of violence.

Thaedolus

I think anyone expecting Dany's dragons to straight up annihilate the white walkers are in for a rude awakening. It would just be way too easy.

But besides that, when Dany arrives in Kings Landing and talks with Cersci (assuming Jamie hasn't executed her and that Dany even gives anyone time to explain themselves before commanding Dracaras) do you think she'll throw the incest in Cersi's face and shame her for it and label her a heretic? It would be quite ironic as Targs are known to intermarry and it was actually a part of their political system. But Dany was abused by her brother, both sexually and then sold off to slavery to be used as a pawn, so it would be amazing to see a Targaryn who everyone knows are incestuous, lamblasting a Lanister, who might be openly displaying her incestual ways. I mean she stopped the sparrows, killed all of the lords and such, there really is nothing to stop her from marrying Jamie, and proclaiming him king reagant or hand of the queen. Except for Qyburn is hand of the queen. New rule: There can be two hands! (I dont think Jamie wants that or anything from the mad queen) but shes deluded and stupid, so her sense of perception is all warped.

It would just be hilarious to me that Dany comes, points out that Cersi is a self professed brother fucker who has no rights to the throne, in front of a public audience and the small folk take Dany's side and rebel against Lannisters without Dany having to use a thread of violence.

Dany doesn't need to give two fucks about the incest, in her mind Cersei is only queen via a usurper who slaughtered her family, and Dany is the rightful heir. She doesn't need to touch on Cersei's crimes at all, her claim is illegitimate in Dany's eyes

_Ryo_

Dany doesn't need to give two fucks about the incest, in her mind Cersei is only queen via a usurper who slaughtered her family, and Dany is the rightful heir. She doesn't need to touch on Cersei's crimes at all, her claim is illegitimate in Dany's eyes

I know that. They could still have a conversation. Do you actually believe that Dany is gonna Torch the place before trying to remove Cersi from the throne with the least amount of violence? I think Danys end goal is a more Democratic political system. Her orders to Dario prove this, telling him to help Mereen choose/elect their own leaders, so I think she aims for Democratic Monarchy. Anyways, it would be such a fucking huge missed opportunity to not give the two most powerful women in the show some awesome dialogue together. So sure, she doesn't NEED to but it would be awesome to see and add a lot of entertaining drama and nuance.

Unless Benjen wasn't saved by the Children of the Forest like he said...

Instead of making a double agent by making him half-wight or whatever he is, wouldn't it make much more sense to just touch him and let him go? He returns to Castle Black and since he's been touched by the NK the Wall collapses.

IMO there is no way in hell that being touched by the NK will bring down the wall.

Mist

Banned
Instead of making a double agent by making him half-wight or whatever he is, wouldn't it make much more sense to just touch him and let him go? He returns to Castle Black and since he's been touched by the NK the Wall collapses.

IMO there is no way in hell that being touched by the NK will bring down the wall.

It'd be kind of a detour to bring down the Wall as well. If the Night King has the power to give someone a mark to bring down the Wall, why can't he do it himself anyway?

I'm not sure how the Wall wil go down (if it goes down at all?), but Bran doing it would be lame and nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom