• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

So it seems you agree with me that GOT is just another run of the mill TV show, and D&D are just a couple of conventional TV writers.

I'm fine with leaving it at that.

The Sopranos. The Wire. Breaking Bad.

Do you know what all these shows have in common? They had a showrunner and a writers room who broke those episodes before the assigned writers got to work on them.

That's because you don't what the hell you're talking about when it comes to writing backwards. It's far preferable to aimlessly limping forward.

Cromwell

Banned
You know what I mean. People didn't just run up to her with armies. She had to earn that shit.

Not really, it was basically a gift. Her genetics and the dragon eggs are what resulted in that moment at the end of S1 and what got everyone to worship her, and ever since people have just been tripping over themselves to serve her either because she's hot, has dragons, or is a Targaryan.

She was sold over to a Khal to be his wife because she is Targaryen. Then all she did was pretend to sell a (given to her because she is Targ) dragon for a whole Unsullied army and then turn around and say sike! Then she accidentally gets kidnapped by the Dothraki and pushes a fire lamp over. I dunno. To me she has been handed most of her power. She's made a few choices here and there but overall I haven't felt like she has earned much.

This.

Kain

You guys should listen to Radio Westeros' two-part series on Littlefinger.

I just listened to this at work (we have youtube banned so...) and it's very, very interesting. I agree with what they think LFs motivations and goals are:

- He is resentful of the Starks and to some extent of the Tullys

- He has no interest in the throne or the people sitting on it

- He wants Cat/Sansa because he is still an insecure inmature child to some extent and will do anything to get them. Cat rejecting him and then treating him like a little brother really did a number on him.

Adding all that he mainly wants to control the North and the Vale, the North because it's the house of his "enemies" and the Vale because he feels it's his as he was born there (or maybe the Vale is just a means to an end, it very well could be too). So it's a revenge plot against dead people and a quest to bed a minor, basically. In my crazy mind I think he is in cahoots with Euron, but there is no real basis for that, just wishful thinking for my part. I believe while the North is his goal, his endgame is more obscure, but I don't think there is evidence for that.

Now the show is a different beast, he wants the throne? OK good luck with that, you would have to kill most of the kingdom for that because mostly everyone but you has a claim to the throne but so be it. Show's LF is awful.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No no, more arguing about writing backwards please.

But seriously that radio show linked earlier is decent but I don't understand why they're reading instead of having a conversation? Would be so much better if slightly less produced, actually.

As for LF the one thing both the books and the show agree on is that he's a self-serving chaos agent. And any mistakes he makes can just be lumped in with throwing enemies off his trail. Which is a nonsense excuse when he doesn't really want anything -- he's a sociopathic narcissist motivated by a dead teenage crush and a bizarre destruction / political collapse fetish.

If it's hard to pin him down its because there's nothing to pin down. It's trite but he really does just want to watch the world burn. That's it.

bengraven

What? Jon went to Craster's keep to kill the mutineers, not to find Bran.

You're either remembering what happened or... didn't read the books. lol

No, a couple episodes before that Sam and Jon talk about Bran being north of the wall. I can't exactly remember what Jon's decision is in that regards, but he quickly goes to CK to take out the traitors and that's a bigger priority to him than his brother.

I assume he also had an interest in looking for traces of Bran, because he basically assumes Bran is dead...?

I should have wrote it differently to convey my point:

SAM: your brother is alive! and crossing the wall!
JON: I must go to the Keep and avenge our leader!
SAM: Jon, what about Bran? It's cold and winter is coming!
JON: I must save the wildlings in Hardhome!
SAM: Jon, there are fucking white walkers close to the wall and your crippled brother is alone with two kids and a brain dead door holder!
JON: I'M KING IN THE NORTH

Gigglepoo

Now the show is a different beast, he wants the throne? OK good luck with that, you would have to kill most of the kingdom for that because mostly everyone but you has a claim to the throne but so be it. Show's LF is awful.

Exactly. The show just does whatever. But Book Littlefinger isn't trying to be king. Glad you like Radio Westeros. They gave me new appreciation for Marrin's meticulous writing and attention to detail.

Run of the mill TV shows don't get nominated nor win this many awards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/awards

Everything except the writing is exceptionally good on Game of Thrones.

duckroll

Does Jon even remember Bran? When they brought up Rickon, shouldn't he mention to Sansa that he heard that Bran crossed beyond the Wall at least?

Sean C

Does Jon even remember Bran? When they brought up Rickon, shouldn't he mention to Sansa that he heard that Bran crossed beyond the Wall at least?
We're meant to assume he told her about that, and that she correspondingly told him about Arya having been seen by Brienne, in their big offscreen catch-up.

RangerX

Banned
That Sophie Turner interview where she reveals Sansa is secretly angry and envious of Jon is irritating me more than it probably should.,

My first reaction when she looked at Littlefinger was that she was jealous of Jon. I was genuinely surprised people thought otherwise. Her experiences have corrupted her.

My first reaction when she looked at Littlefinger was that she was jealous of Jon. I was genuinely surprised people thought otherwise. Her experiences have corrupted her.

To a certain extent, however it's also true to her character. Sansa has always wanted to be a ruler.

No, not really. She wanted to be queen as part of a fairy tale romance, not for political power or anything. Since then she's mostly just wanted to be left alone.

I should have been more clear I meant a queen, and despite her hardships I think she still fancies herself as a lady of the court, after all she was raised as one, and therefore feels entitled especially to Winterfell or there wouldn't be that tinge of jealousy she's feeling.

On a separate note. If Jon's parentage becomes known. The popular story is that his mother was kidnapped and raped. Would the North still support him then? Also, the only living person who may know the truth is Howland Reed, correct?

Kain

On a separate note. If Jon's parentage becomes known. The popular story is that his mother was kidnapped and raped. Would the North still support him then? Also, the only living person who may know the truth is Howland Reed, correct?

Actually, no. George has made a point that the only character that speaks badly of Rhaegar was Robert, the rest of the characters who lived and knew him speak very fondly of him. This kidnap and rape theory will quickly fall apart if Howland Reed spoke up.

If it were known that Jon is who he is, I think they would still accept him because he is still part Stark and his father was a good guy, but they would probably want Sansa as true ruler because he is not a trueborn Stark. Oh, and speaking of that, the legitimation process to be named a Targaryen (this is a step all bastards must perform before being named heirs to something, I think) should be done by... Daenerys actually. Or Aegon if he was not fake. Which he probably is. The question is: when and how is this going to be revealed? Is it going to be something public? Will this be revealed at the same time Sansa marries Harry the heir AND Little Robyn is dead? Timing is crucial here.

People who know Jon's parentage:

- Howland Reed

- Barristan probably

- Bloodraven

Yeah. And it's been how long? Any normal person would just assume he's dead by now.

The little kid has grown into a giant, that's how long. Imagine Jon's face if he sees Bran again lol

Sean C

I should have been more clear I meant a queen, and despite her hardships I think she still fancies herself as a lady of the court, after all she was raised as one, and therefore feels entitled especially to Winterfell or there wouldn't be that tinge of jealousy she's feeling.
There's not really anything unusual about her feeling entitled to Winterfell. Birthright entitlement is the foundation of the whole society; all the Starks would feel the same way.

Krogan

So where are we on the possibility of Sansa behaving more like Cersei than her mother by the end?

I can't see that happening, I think the show will go in a everyone who lives to see the end gets a good (good enough for this type of show) ending. Sansa will end up just like her mother and maybe a tad like Littlefinger imo.

Random question, but does ASOIAF's world have any history of republican government? It's interesting that Westeros seemed to go from what I'd assume were the tribes of the First Men, to small Kingdoms, to a full-blown feudal system with nothing in-between. I can't remember how most of the Free Cities or other parts of Essos are governed.

Black_Sun

Random question, but does ASOIAF's world have any history of republican government? It's interesting that Westeros seemed to go from what I'd assume were the tribes of the First Men, to small Kingdoms, to a full-blown feudal system with nothing in-between. I can't remember how most of the Free Cities or other parts of Essos are governed.

Most of the Free Cities are republican oligarchies.

Westeros has had no history of republican government aside from the Night's Watch.

Furyo

Neo Member

Most of the Free Cities have some sort of republican government, similar to Italian city-states in the Renaissance.

Volantis in particular works more like the ancient democracies of Greece or Republican Rome. Freeborn citizens get to vote their Thriarchs, but the majority of the inhabitants are slaves.

What do you think happens to Bran and Meera next season? Curious to see what they'll do now, seeing as how Bran should know that he can't cross the wall.

mantidor

We're meant to assume he told her about that, and that she correspondingly told him about Arya having been seen by Brienne, in their big offscreen catch-up.

Sansa mentions all their siblings by name when she's trying to convince Jon to take back Winterfell as if they were all alive(Robb isn't mentioned) so yeah they catched up off-screen.

bitbydeath

So new episode tonight

Is what I wish we were saying

What do you think will happen?

In season 7, ep 1

Episode Title: Redemption

-Arya will free Edmure without revealing herself, tales of a servant girl taking out the Freys spreads.

-Jamie will get upset with Cersei and leave Kings Landing in search of Brienne, Bronn tags along.

-The Red Woman will travel to the brotherhood without banners camp where she'll once again meet Hotpie and a muscly armed Gendry.

-Sansa and Jon will talk politics of bringing more of the north together.

-Daneries will keep travelling on a boat, probably encounter a storm or something.

-Ending: Brans touch from the Nights King will remove the magic which holds it together as he passes through.

So new episode tonight

Is what I wish we were saying

What do you think will happen?

In season 7, ep 1

Episode Title: Redemption

-Arya will free Edmure without revealing herself, tales of a servant girl taking out the Freys spreads.

-Jamie will get upset with Cersei and leave Kings Landing in search of Brienne, Bronn tags along.

-The Red Woman will travel to the brotherhood without banners camp where she'll once again meet Hotpie and a muscly armed Gendry.

-Sansa and Jon will talk politics of bringing more of the north together.

-Daneries will keep travelling on a boat, probably encounter a storm or something.

-Ending: Brans touch from the Nights King will remove the magic which holds it together as he passes through.

Arya freeing Edmure would make sense. Could sort of be like when Arya and Jaqen freed Glover in Harrenhel.

I think the writing for GoT is fantastic, overall. It's had its handful of weak moments, but those pale in comparison to how well it truly excels when it's at the top of its game.

Gigglepoo

I think the writing for GoT is fantastic, overall. It's had its handful of weak moments, but those pale in comparison to how well it truly excels when it's at the top of it's game.

It's good at individual conversations but poor at plotting and character development. Too many characters whose arcs run in circle or stagnate. Too may "why did this happen" or "that doesn't make sense" moments in the plot.

Sean C

What do you think happens to Bran and Meera next season? Curious to see what they'll do now, seeing as how Bran should know that he can't cross the wall.
Bran is planning to cross the Wall. That's why they went there. I'm not sure what he's going to be doing next season; I had initially figured that he would swiftly return to Winterfell, but it seems like that would disrupt the Jon/Sansa/Littlefinger drama they're foreshadowing, so maybe not? Seeing as they murdered almost his entire supporting cast, I'm not sure what else he'd do.

Disagree, only two shows are up there with GoT in terms of exceptional writing.

Breaking Bad and Buffy.
GOT's writing is its weakest point. The plotting is all over the place, especially, and a lot of the time you can pretty blatantly feel the writers forcing the characters to go the direction they want them to go in the face of logic.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
a pox on the clown who had me convinced for even the briefest of moments there was an episode 11 on tonight i didn't know about. a pox, you clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom