• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Tuck

So, who here is with me thinking that they'll reboot the show and be faithful with the books after they all release? And who's down for it?

It happened with Full Metal Alchemist...

But no, probably not. Not for years. Plus the books arent even done.

But I'm certainly a bit bitter about the changes they made that they didn't have to. Really fucked with things

You think this would look silly?

70f943c528d33db220095c8c72bc3bf1.jpg

i'm cracking up at this I just can't

Violet_0

Banned
So, who here is with me thinking that they'll reboot the show and be faithful with the books after they all release? And who's down for it?

prequels
unless they are stupid enough to end the most popular and important show in the world (don't cringe, you know it to be true) and not have a follow-up

This show has been going on a long-ass time. Maise Williams looked like a tiny child, now she's a grown-ass woman. Jaime Lannister (forgot his name) went from looking like a young, dashing prince charming to a grizzled middle-aged man. Etc. I think they probably expected this thing to wrap up years ago.

A little over 6 years really is not that long. However, even two or three years can yield a meaningful difference when you catch people right before and after puberty.

Chumley

Banned
I can't remember - in the show, has Petyr Baelish stockpiled food in The Vale? I seem to remember Baelish storing away five years worth of food someplace.

This show has been going on a long-ass time. Maise Williams looked like a tiny child, now she's a grown-ass woman. Jaime Lannister (forgot his name) went from looking like a young, dashing prince charming to a grizzled middle-aged man. Etc. I think they probably expected this thing to wrap up years ago.

NCW's post S3 haircut is terrible. Give him those long locks back and a clean shave he'll look young again.

Yeah OK but when we have a map and we know what's happening at what time and it doesn't add up that doesn't make it ok? I wonder if people who are upset about Euron's teleporting actually bother to understand what the criticism is?

The unsullied left at the same time as the sand snakes and Yara. It makes no fucking sense that Euron was able to intercept them both with a trip to gloat back in KL in between.

That's ignoring the fact that Euron built up a mostly new fleet from scratch with an island that's notorious in the book and show for being useless.

Azzanadra

NCW's post S3 haircut is terrible. Give him those long locks back and a clean shave he'll look young again.

Eh, I think at least he is supposed to look something like this in the books as well. S7 Jaime (A Dream of Spring territory mind you) character-wise has not even reached AFFC Jaime.

I totally subscribe to the Jaime will kill Cersei theory, but even I am left wondering when it will happen with less than 10 episodes left, and if it will even be executed in a manner that doesn't feel rushed or forced at this point.

Gigglepoo

Yeah OK but when we have a map and we know what's happening at what time and it doesn't add up that doesn't make it ok? I wonder if people who are upset about Euron's teleporting actually bother to understand what the criticism is?

It feels like a cheap victory that Euron was able to go to King's Landing, capture the Sand Snakes, go back to King's Landing, then go all the way to Casterly Rock before the Unsullied could just get to Casterly. I like stories that have real logic and consequences. In GoT, things just happen now because the showrunners said so. It doesn't feel earned so the drama is gone.

EDIT -- Looks like we're on the same page

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

I'd like to see someone take a stab at it via animation, since that would allow more of the fantasy visuals to be depicted better.

Chumley

Banned
When they reboot it I don't care how old Stephen Dillane is, recast him as Stannis. Man was born for that part and has permanently overriden the mental image I had of Stannis when first reading the books.

Apt101

When they reboot it I don't care how old Stephen Dillane is, recast him as Stannis. Man was born for that part and has permanently overriden the mental image I had of Stannis when first reading the books.

He hated the character, didn't understand the fans of him, and didn't seem fond of working in the role in general.

I'm going to guess that ASoIaF will get the animated treatment next, so that they can truly show off the world as GRRM wrote it. HBO will probably do Dunk and Egg next.

Werd

Has anything like Game of Thrones (and live action) actually been rebooted? There's a massive difference between ASoIaF with it's very specific, complicated plot and such compared to loosely taking the premise of some 30 year old procedural into an essentially new show. Or comic books taking the origin story but using another villain, another author's take on the character, etc. I don't think we will be getting GoT sci-fi, modern day, etc. version or something obviously. Although hey, wouldn't mind watching a pilot for that.

Creating another relatively loyal adaptation that doesn't diverge after ASoS would be so many hours of similar, expensive material to recreate with limited appeal before you get to the real changes with no guarantee it's popular enough to get there. If it was an anime and you could just use the same voice actors/art style and pick up from halfway maybe in some format but doing that with a new cast? Eh...

I bet it's just spin-offs until audiences lose interest for a very long time. Maybe someone tries an ill-advised film adaptation.

Chumley

Banned
He hated the character, didn't understand the fans of him, and didn't seem fond of working in the role in general.

Gonna need a source on this, I only remember him basically saying D&D were bad writers.

Also I mean considering he never read the books I don't blame him for not understanding why the character has fans. Show Stannis was trash.

Burt

Nawww. Maybe Gerard Butler will be bald by then though.

But you know what

and I know this is both out of left field and a straight up impossibility

but no more than the whole concept of GOT being rebooted

But I would love to see Hugh Jackman grow that beard out and rock baldness and just be a dick as Stannis.

Apt101

Gonna need a source on this, I only remember him basically saying D&D were bad writers.

Also I mean considering he never read the books I don't blame him for not understanding why the character has fans. Show Stannis was trash.

I don't know if the entire interview is out there still, but a summary: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016...rones-money-is-the-main-thing-i-got-out-of-it

He liked spending time Liam and Carice - which I think is evident when you see those two asked about Dillane in interviews - but he didn't to care much about anything else. Just that money. Which, hey, screw it. It's a job after all.

duckroll

Has anything like Game of Thrones (and live action) actually been rebooted? There's a massive difference between ASoIaF with it's very specific, complicated plot and such compared to loosely taking the premise of some 30 year old procedural into an essentially new show. Or comic books taking the origin story but using another villain, another author's take on the character, etc. I don't think we will be getting GoT sci-fi, modern day, etc. version or something obviously. Although hey, wouldn't mind watching a pilot for that.

Creating another relatively loyal adaptation that doesn't diverge after ASoS would be so many hours of similar, expensive material to recreate with limited appeal before you get to the real changes with no guarantee it's popular enough to get there. If it was an anime and you could just use the same voice actors/art style and pick up from halfway maybe in some format but doing that with a new cast? Eh...

I bet it's just spin-offs until audiences lose interest for a very long time. Maybe someone tries an ill-advised film adaptation.

There's a new live action adaptation of the Condor Heroes series every few years from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China. Legend of Condor Heroes, Return of Condor Heroes, Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber. They sure don't mind rebooting it again and again with a new cast. Some are more faithful to the books, some are less. Don't see how that's any different.

There's a new live action adaptation of the Condor Heroes series every few years from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Mainland China. Legend of Condor Heroes, Return of Condor Heroes, Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber. They sure don't mind rebooting it again and again with a new cast. Some are more faithful to the books, some are less. Don't see how that's any different.

Not to mention their ROTK series reboots. (The 2010 series is fucking faaantastic.)

jfkgoblue

Not a TV show, but the Chronicles of Narnia was rebooted.

thefro

because it makes even less sense if there's a long time between the scenes. if the unsullied went to casterly rock at the same time as yara went to dorne, it makes no sense for euron to have time to attack yara, go party in king's landing, and then make it in time to casterly rock. but why it's even more nonsensical if there was a time jump is that dany/tyrion or whoever is in charge must have thought that attacking casterly rock was still a good idea after losing half their fleet and dorne, and they must have waited a ridiculously long time before sending them to take that useless castle.

Did they show Euron at Casterly or just his fleet? His fleet could have went on while he took some of them back to King's Landing to party.

It also could have been other ships loyal to Euron from the Iron Isles. They're pretty close to Casterly Rock on the Westeros map. Could have just sent a raven over and they would have beat the Unsullied there easily.

I also would suspect Euron's fleet is significantly faster than ships full of Unsullied.

They rushed the Highgarden stuff, but that similarly somewhat makes sense if you assume Olenna was laying low (bannermen not called to defend Highgarden) and got betrayed by the Tarlys and a few others. I'm also assuming Dorne is out of the picture without clear leadership.

Of course we're ignoring the fact that you could lay siege to King's Landing by sea pretty easily due to Dragonstone's location (as Stannis did), especially if you have huge dragons. Varys also should at least know that Euron showed up in King's Landing publicly in front of everyone wanting to ally with Cersei even assuming a lot of his spies no longer work for him. So Tyrion's plan is pretty stupid.

jfkgoblue

Did they show Euron at Casterly or just his fleet? His fleet could have went on while he took some of them back to King's Landing to party.

It also could have been other ships loyal to Euron from the Iron Isles. They're pretty close to Casterly Rock on the Westeros map. Could have just sent a raven over and they would have beat the Unsullied there easily.

I also would suspect Euron's fleet is significantly faster than ships full of Unsullied.

They rushed the Highgarden stuff, but that similarly somewhat makes sense if you assume Olenna was laying low (bannermen not called to defend Highgarden) and got betrayed by the Tarlys and a few others. I'm also assuming Dorne is out of the picture without clear leadership.

Of course we're ignoring the fact that you could lay siege to King's Landing by sea pretty easily due to Dragonstone's location, especially if you have huge dragons. Varys also should at least know that Euron showed up in King's Landing publicly in front of everyone wanting to ally with Cersei even assuming a lot of his spies no longer work for him. So Tyrion's plan is pretty stupid.
Yeah, I found that at least somewhat believable if they successfully guessed that Tyrion was going for the Rock, they had to have a fleet nearby, but not necessarily Euron himself, because the Iron Islands are right there.

I can totally see a new GoT series in like 15+ years just because how popular this one ended being that follows the books more closely (wether or not the books actually finish).

Diancecht

Of course we're ignoring the fact that you could lay siege to King's Landing by sea pretty easily due to Dragonstone's location (as Stannis did), especially if you have huge dragons. Varys also should at least know that Euron showed up in King's Landing publicly in front of everyone wanting to ally with Cersei even assuming a lot of his spies no longer work for him. So Tyrion's plan is pretty stupid.

His ship, Silence, was there.

Emilia Clarkes acting is still awful. Her emotions/facial expressions doesn't come off as natural. Is there any anyone that would have fit the role perfectly?

ZOONAMI

Emilia Clarkes acting is still awful. Her emotions/facial expressions doesn't come off as natural. Is there any anyone that would have fit the role perfectly?

Honestly she's pretty fitting. Dany is pretty stiff I feel like in the books too, unless Clarke has just changed my perception of the character.

Danys chapters I think the books I never much liked so it's kind of fitting. Always felt like a generally useless sideplot.

Chumley

Banned

Probably dozens of actresses would have done better. The thing is that she was actually decent in S1 but has just gotten worse as the demands of the character have changed. I can see why they chose her as the #2 backup back then (she got the part because the #1 choice bailed at the last second).

Honestly she's pretty fitting. Dany is pretty stiff I feel like in the books too, unless Clarke has just changed my perception of the character.

Even in her other roles (I've seen her in Terminator, some rom com, and this other movie with Jude Law I'm forgetting) she has an affectation she can't shake that doesn't appear even somewhat genuine. She can play frightened, overwhelmed, and naive pretty well but outside of that it's like she doesn't know what to do.

jdstorm

Banned
I can totally see a new GoT series in like 15+ years just because how popular this one ended being that follows the books more closely (wether or not the books actually finish).

Seems more likely that they would do a loosly collected set of TV movies that focus on key moments.

No reason why this weeks' episode couldnt have been "The Rock" a TV movie inspired by the Nic Cage classic where Tyrion and Barriston Selmy have to infiltrate "casterly rock" to stop some classic moustache twirling villan while wondering about where whores go
or Fucking the Prom Queen

Or he has a captain to run his ship if he's elsewhere. It's not that crazy.
Lol this line of thinking has been in place since season 4 to excuse poor writing. "Yeah well to explain this thing that made no sense maybe something happened that's almost as equally nonsensical that was never even alluded to"
I had a Stannis icon for the longest time and changed a year or so after I realized they actually did just completely fuck him up for the last time :/ So much of the non-teen casting has been excellent though.
I don't mind really, he looks attractive with or without long hair and it makes sense he looks a bit more grizzled. However, I never sat down and figured out how long it's been since the end of season 6 to episode 3 but you'd think Cersei's hair would have grown back a bit more.

ZOONAMI

Lol this line of thinking has been in place since season 4 to excuse poor writing. "Yeah well to explain this thing that made no sense maybe something happened that's almost as equally nonsensical that was never even alluded to"

I had a Stannis icon for the longest time and changed a year or so after I realized they actually did just completely fuck him up for the last time :/ So much of the non-teen casting has been excellent though.

I don't mind really, he looks attractive with or without long hair and it makes sense he looks a bit more grizzled. However, I never sat down and figured out how long it's been since the end of season 6 to episode 3 but you'd think Cersei's hair would have grown back a bit more.

Well, it's the first thing I thought of watching the episode so I don't think it's that crazy. Not everything has to happen on screen. Especially a completely useless scene of euron handing control off of his ship to some nameless captain.

There's no way that shit isn't going down by the time the finale airs, the fan service to everyone who either has a massive crush on Harington or Clarke is too tempting to resist.

"What were they saying about him being stabbed in the heart?"

Translates to: she's gonna see him naked

Bookmark me

Euron is too much like Ramsay 2.0 for my liking.

They do realize there doesn't always have to be a crazy, murderous villain in the show, right?
I don't think they do which is a shame since Tywin and Roose managed to be a lot more menacing/interesting to watch which is especially impressive for the latter since he didn't have much screentime.

But yeah after joffrey died, ramsay got some serious plot armor. And not only 3 episodes after ramsay died we've got ramsay 2.0.

Euron is too much like Ramsay 2.0 for my liking.

They do realize there doesn't always have to be a crazy, murderous villain in the show, right?

I wouldn't call him crazy. He seems to be making very precise decisions.

I wouldn't call him murderous, either. He left the twin snake girls alive, as well as Yara.

If it was Ramsay, he'd have fed them all to his dogs.

I wouldn't call him murderous, either. He left the twin snake girls alive, as well as Yara.

He kept them alive to get in cersei's pants, and he kept Yara alive as a pet just like Reek.

Probably dozens of actresses would have done better. The thing is that she was actually decent in S1 but has just gotten worse as the demands of the character have changed. I can see why they chose her as the #2 backup back then (she got the part because the #1 choice bailed at the last second).

I thought it was due to HBO not finding the #1 choice attractive?

Ramsay would have left them alive too if it meant getting what he wants

...which is what euron is doing

He kept them alive to get in cersei's pants, and he kept Yara alive as a pet just like Reek.

euron is playing 5D chess

you doubt him

but he'll win the throne and nobody will expect it just like Trump. And it's going to suck for westeros and those targaryen loyalists will go 'but her dragons'

Ramsay would have left them alive too if it meant getting what he wants

...which is what euron is doing

Ramsay would've kept them for himself because he already had what he wanted. Legitimacy and Sansa, so he would father an heir to continue his line.

you doubt him

but he'll win the throne and nobody will expect it just like Trump. And it's going to suck for westeros and those targaryen loyalists will go 'but her dragons'

Ramsay would've kept them for himself because he already had what he wanted. Legitimacy and Sansa, so he would father an heir to continue his line.

You do realize Cersei's gonna use him and then have him killed off right

you doubt him

...what?

Top Bottom