• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Chuckie

I'm sure other people have commented, but how weird was it that Bran sees his sister for the first time in years and then tells her he used his magical powers to presumably watch her get raped on her wedding night?

I thought the whole encounter was fucked up. It felt like Bran left his emotions behind the wall.

He says he feels sorry she got raped, but it sounded like he really doesn't give a fuck at all. About anything for that matter.

_Rob_

I thought the whole encounter was fucked up. It felt like Bran left his emotions behind the wall.

He says he feels sorry she got raped, but it sounded like he really doesn't give a fuck at all. About anything for that matter.

Perhaps because he sees everything (he even said himself that he still had little control over what he does and doesn't see), he's become numb to the atrocities he's forced to witness? Or perhaps he understands that what happened to her is all part of her fate, and despite it's brutality actually lead her home in the end?

Chuckie

Perhaps because he sees everything (he even said himself that he still had little control over what he does and doesn't see), he's become numb to the atrocities he's forced to witness? Or perhaps he understands that what happened to her is all part of her fate, and despite it's brutality actually lead her home in the end?

Could be. I don't know how much he has seen since Hodor died (back when he still seemed to have emotions). He must have seen some shit though... because when he meets Sansa... he is just blank. Not even sad... just nothing.

Man. The writing/acting on the show used to be fantastic.

Almost like they were working off some really good source material and when they lost that lifeline completely they were at sea

re: the cersei/jaime sex scene, it played out more or less how the sept "rape" (on the show) played out in the books. Despite his initial protestation, he clearly goes along with it and wants it. I mean, they wake up in the same bed. Just like Cersei said "no" but clearly went along with Jaime in the books in the sept.

Shahadan

The last two episodes were apparently directed by the guy responsible for the Waif Terminator pursuit last season? Well that explains everything.

If I remember correctly there also was Dany's hilarious return to Mereen by off screen dragon delivery

So is that it for the state of Jorah post-greyscale? I've had sunburn worse than that! Part of me hopes he's still 'active' is going to wind up infecting 1000s of people, but I doubt it. Seriously, did the maesters even LOOK at the cure?! Who the hell would risk transporting sick people on a boat all the way to the Sorrows but would balk at the idea of cutting off some skin and rubbing a little oil on the wounds?

Ludicrous.

Branduil

Sometimes I just have to sit back...and...think....about what a fucking waste Dorne was.

Book Dorne: Badass as FUCK heir in Arianne. Scheming and fucking galore, a plausible Queenmaker plot, and even though Quentyn turned out to be a total neckbeard loser, there was still hope that they could be a super powerful force to be reckoned with. The Sand Snakes were actually awesome in that each one had a specialty and a unique backstory. "Vengeance, justice, fire and blood" was so fucking badass I can't even contain it.

Show Dorne: Weak revenge plot, no Arianne or cool Dornish children in general (I weep for the book Sand Snakes), bad pussy, Tristane is a dork, weird murder of Doran because why the fuck not? And now they've been reduced to a bitter widow and her soon to be zombie daughter.

SIGH.

Book Dorne is a multi-angle game of court intrigue with a smart ruler plotting several simultaneous schemes, working around his daughter who has other plans of her own, and both having to navigate around other moving pieces beyond their control.

Show Dorne is WEAK MEN WILL NEVER RULE DORNE AGAIN.

Don't forget the part where Show Dorne kills off one of the book's most badass black characters like a fucking joke.

pr0cs

Don't forget the part where Show Dorne kills off one of the book's most badass black characters like a fucking joke.
Uh pretty sure it's unclear that he's actually black , from the books Norvos sounds more like "Viking world" than anything else.
But you are right, they did turn Areo into a joke

Ithil

game-of-thrones-nymeria.jpg

She left us with an unforgettable line and a quite, ahem, memorable scene. It's more than the other two ever did.

jett

D-Member
Although Indira Varma is a babe....I guess I can count that as a small blessing.

Also they're killing Ellaria off-screen

So what does this mean for King's Landing, since ostensibly Cersei won't actually kill her. If Dany takes over she's just gonna leave her rotting there? Or is the entirety of King's Landing getting nuked? Cersei can't possibly win this shit.

I figured that was the last we'd see of Ellaria. Just like how we saw the last of Essos and the last of Dorne last season. D&D trimming the fat by all means possible.

Losing GRRM's dialogue was one of the worst things that happened to the show. Say what you will about the monotony of the last two books but that man is an absolute master with dialogue.

Okay. The last two books were really good! I find it weird how they get dragged a lot for being monotonous but they're way better than Clash of Kings imo, which is a real drag until the last third.

Fisico

So what does this mean for King's Landing, since ostensibly Cersei won't actually kill her. If Dany takes over she's just gonna leave her rotting there? Or is the entirety of King's Landing getting nuked? Cersei can't possibly win this shit.

I figured that was the last we'd see of Ellaria. Just like how we saw the last of Essos and the last of Dorne last season. D&D trimming the fat by all means possible.

She will kill herself somehow.

Or Dany takes Kingslanding and she's just told there are two dead bodies
Or Dany take Kingslanding and it's not even mentioned.

ramparter

Banned
Got a feeling that when Cerci kissed Jamie before they went to bed, she poisoned him. It just felt like such a dramatic and pin point moment.

We saw her wipe off the poison in the cell, but she could easily have put it back on again for Jamie off camera. Just because we didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The motive? The witch's prophesy.

She's a clever woman, and is taking steps to protect herself.
That bitch, she also poisoned his dick so every other woman who blowjobs him will die!

Then at the same episode Jamie went at the Tyrell's castle.That's my biggest problem with all fast travelling, we have no idea what happens when, I mean by now the liitle sand snake may already be dead.

jfkgoblue

no way broski jon and dany have to fuck before he goes back to winterfell

why else would the showrunners make him a "prisoner" on dragonstone? They want to build the relationship up and for that you need time
Nah, Dany is going with Jon back to Winterfell to escape from Cersei following all the Ls she's taking. She needs to be in the North when the White Walkers attack and that is the plot device they are gonna use.

jfkgoblue

I can't see Daenerys running.
If she loses a dragon(basically a guarantee at this point) and doesn't have much of an army left, and she already lost all of her Westerosi support. What other choice will she have?

I would honestly be surprised if Dany ever sits the Iron Throne, just not GRRM's style.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh I'd be surprised by that as well! I don't think she's going to take the Iron Throne, at least not permanently, but it feels likelier to me that she'll go for more fire-and-blood wrath than leave with Jon now.

jfkgoblue

Oh I'd be surprised by that as well! I don't think she's going to take the Iron Throne, at least not permanently, but it feels likelier to me that she'll go for more fire-and-blood wrath than leave with Jon now.
I'm not saying it will be that logical, just that they need that dragons vs White Walkers setup going into season 8, and that's how I think they get there.

She will arrive at Winterfell sometime during the season finale and the white walkers will prepare their attack during the finale as well.

I could of course be wrong, but obviously I don't think that I am. :p

The last two episodes were apparently directed by the guy responsible for the Waif Terminator pursuit last season? Well that explains everything.

If I remember correctly there also was Dany's hilarious return to Mereen by off screen dragon delivery

That's correct- though I wouldn't lay all the blame at the feet of any one director. They're still bound by the constraints of what the show runners and writers come up with. Shit in, shit out.

mantidor

I thought that at first, but it had to be that fact, Littlefiinger had just told Sansa to imagine every single outcome so you won't be surprised, I'm betting she understood that LF knew she would get raped or something similar and still went ahead with the plan.

Bran told her that to start the snowball effect.

I'm not sure about Bran's intentions, but I also saw this as a realization in Sansa's mind, sure she confronted Littlefinger before but his "imagine every possible outcome" speech is confirmation that even if he knew about Ramsay he didn't care because he clearly thought of every possibility.

Faddy

Banned
Almost like they were working off some really good source material and when they lost that lifeline completely they were at sea

re: the cersei/jaime sex scene, it played out more or less how the sept "rape" (on the show) played out in the books. Despite his initial protestation, he clearly goes along with it and wants it. I mean, they wake up in the same bed. Just like Cersei said "no" but clearly went along with Jaime in the books in the sept.

In the pooks that scene is written with very different dialogue. In fact it was a major issue of the pilot that all the dialogue felt stilted and unreal.

For example in that video with Eddard, Varys does not say "I swear it by my lost manhood" like George wrote. Because that dialogue is awful.

They should really start adding titles in each scene "4 months later..". Because otherwise all these time skip looks like teleporting or fast travel from Skyrim.

I re watched Season 1 last year and I felt the producers decided to nerf the writing in later season to make the show more comprehensible for the masses.

The difference from say S1 to now, viewed side by side, is staggering. It feels like a lot of the characters speak mostly in series of banalities, platitudes, and one-liners. The acting suffers as a result.

The difference from say S1 to now, viewed side by side, is staggering. It feels like a lot of the characters speak mostly in series of banalities, platitudes, and one-liners. The acting suffers as a result.

I agree. The dialogue is nowhere near as clever as it used to be. Even the show-only scenes like the talk between Cersei and Robert, or Varys and Littlefinger, and what have you, were written a lot better than ANY dialogue is now. And, I would argue, also was acted out a lot better because of it.

I remember when people were giggling about "chaos ish a laddah" (though I think it was more Aiden Gillen's acting than the speech itself), or minutiae of dialogue taken directly from the books ("Only Cat" comes to mind here, funnily enough. Poor LF...). Simpler times then, wasn't it?

I agree. The dialogue is nowhere near as clever as it used to be. Even the show-only scenes like the talk between Cersei and Robert, or Varys and Littlefinger, and what have you, were written a lot better than ANY dialogue is now. And, I would argue, also was acted out a lot better because of it.
They ran out of book material. So now the show writers are showing their true talent. And I am not impressed.

bigJP

I remember when people were giggling about "chaos ish a laddah" (though I think it was more Aiden Gillen's acting than the speech itself), or minutiae in the details of dialogue taken directly from the books ("Only Cat" comes to mind here, funnily enough. Poor LF...). Simpler times.

agreed.
also feel like the story is too predictable now. a main character must die every second episode. no real twists either

They ran out of book material. So now the show writers are showing their true talent. And I am not impressed.

I mean, their books weren't bad, as far as I know.

To me it seems like, even more so than being bad writers, D&D simply are getting tired of making this show. They've been doing this for 7 years now, and I imagine that once they left book territory to fall back on, it didn't become any easier. The ASoIaF fans also seem a lot harsher than any other fandoms I've seen (like, there was plenty of outrage over no Tom Bombadil in the LotR trilogy, but it didn't seem comparable to the outrage over GoT's deviations from the books), so I imagine that the backlash also may have been getting to them.
They genuinely seemed to care about the books and making the adaptation good as they were starting, else GRRM would never have agreed to let them do it, but I think this is simply a case of they bit off more than they can chew, and now they have to finish it. Which is reflected in the last 2 seasons being shorter in number of episodes, as well as Season 7 feeling a lot more rushed even compared to the fairly weak seasons before it.

Branduil

I mean, their books weren't bad, as far as I know.

To me it seems like, even more so than being bad writers, D&D simply are getting tired of making this show. They've been doing this for 7 years now, and I imagine that once they left book territory to fall back on, it didn't become any easier. The ASoIaF fans also seem a lot harsher than any other fandoms I've seen (like, there was plenty of outrage over no Tom Bombadil in the LotR trilogy, but it didn't seem comparable to the outrage over GoT's deviations from the books), so I imagine that the backlash also may have been getting to them.
They genuinely seemed to care about the books and making the adaptation good as they were starting, else GRRM would never have agreed to let them do it, but I think this is simply a case of they bit off more than they can chew, and now they have to finish it. Which is reflected in the last 2 seasons being shorter in number of episodes, as well as Season 7 feeling a lot more rushed even compared to the fairly weak seasons before it.
I don't think you're very familiar with Tolkien purists, LOL.

If Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy got less outrage than GoT, that's only because it was a really good adaptation(and also there were less avenues for fan outrage back then).

I don't think you're very familiar with Tolkien purists, LOL.

If Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy got less outrage than GoT, that's only because it was a really good adaptation(and also there were less avenues for fan outrage back then).

Oh I know, there's purists for everything. But the guys who walked out of the film when Arwen instead of Glorfindel saved Frodo also probably aren't the admins of one of the biggest LotR fan outlets on the internet.

Though I suppose that there were less outlets back then - Twitter wasn't a thing yet and such.

fuzaco

Sophie Turner is the only one of the younger cast that I can see having an actual Hollywood cereer.

Why? She isn't any better than the others. She was pretty bland in X-Men, and she has no range on the show either. The only reason they're gonna get roles is because they were in GoT. The only great younger actor is Alfie Allen, and he seems to be overlooked by most people because he doesn't play a cool character.

Oh I know, there's purists for everything. But the guys who walked out of the film when Arwen instead of Glorfindel saved Frodo also probably aren't the admins of one of the biggest LotR fan outlets on the internet.

Though I suppose that there were less outlets back then - Twitter wasn't a thing yet and such.
Social media didn't exist in 2003 like that. Wow I can hardly believe RotK came out 14 years ago now. I remember I was in 10th grade going to the movies with 10 or so friends after class to watch it lol. But anyway only way to rage of over LoTR not being accurate was probably in forums and such. No Twitter, Facebook didn't pick up yet, MySpace only just coming into existence.

Skilletor

I don't know anyone who predicted Cersei would be kicking Dany's ass at this point.

I knew Dany would have setbacks. You're right that I didn't take into account the showrunners abandoning all logic to make Dany's nearly invincible army look like an army of redshirts.

Top Bottom