• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is what I rack my brain about. How is it gonna play into the greater narrative? Who will believe Bran? it'll be nice for Jon to have some closure, to know he isn't just a "worthless bastard", but he's not going to fight for his right to the iron throne. He never asked to be lord commander, or King in the North.

It'd smooth the path to marriage since Targs exclusively inbreed at least.

I feel like by the time r+l=j is revealed to all of Westeros, there will be such a little amount of significant people around still alive to react to it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
It'd smooth the path to marriage since Targs exclusively inbreed at least.

Ok but that's hardly a satisfying payoff, marrying him would be beneficial to her right now regardless. She's already unable to have children anyway, and she's already married Khal Drogo.

And they don't exclusively inbreed anyway. Elia Martell was Rhegars wife.

Are you saying that if Tywin had the military power to take Highgarden he wouldn't had used it?

If all the Tyrells had was food they would have been overthrown by any other house, they had an important army, they even made a huge display of it in season 6 when they tried to take the capital and rescue Margeary.

Yes. Tywin had his own forces and the forces of Kings Landing when he was Hand. He never went for High Garden. Because Tywin understood what having allies meant.

That's the whole point of the discussion between the Iron Banker and Cersei. That even though Tywin had debts, and he had the ability to fight and win, he kept his allies because he wasn't a fool for some gold.

The only reason they attacked High Garden was because Cersei is a petty ruler.

Speevy

Banned
Perhaps someone might have gotten revenge on Olenna for killing Joffrey, but the dissolution =of House Tyrell is probably the most unnecessarily cruel thing to happen to a family on this show.

I mean, let's look at the logic of it.

+Free food
+Free soldiers
+Beautiful, kind, fertile wife
+Mountains of gold

-A bit catty towards Cersei
-Grandmother killed your evil son

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Ok but that's hardly a satisfying payoff, marrying him would be beneficial to her right now regardless. She's already unable to have children anyway, and she's already married Khal Drogo.

And they don't exclusively inbreed anyway. Elia Martell was Rhegars wife.

I was kidding about the inbreeding... To an extent.

There's no great reason to assume Dany's serile forever. How's she going to give birth to the stallion that mounts the world otherwise?

Maybe A Song of Ice and Fire is a book being read to some whitewalker infant.

I hope they Lord of the rings this shit.

The nights king returns to the white shire, finishes writing his ice best friends' snow uncle's book. Turns to the cover 'a song of ice and fire'.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Cersei shouldn't be this smart IMO.

She should be making more reckless mistakes with her lust for power and revenge.

This is Cersei who is driven by revenge, not protecting her children. She doesn't care about anything anymore, she sits there and imagines ways to murder people now, not how to protect Joffrey and Tommen.

I don't think Jon ever finds out.
What good would it do really, who would believe Bra?

Exclusive look at Bran communicating with Jon:

Jon:"Bran! It's been too long!"
Bran:"Hello Brother. Yes, you are a dragon now. Remember her on that night? She was so pretty. Father was there. To save her. It was an upright tower. The kind that makes women shudder. You remember don't you. Dragons."
Jon:"I have to go now"

watershed

Banned
Cersei shouldn't be this smart IMO.

She should be making more reckless mistakes with her lust for power and revenge.

I kind of agree, but she learned by watching her father govern and her husband not govern and of the big 3, herself, Jon, and Dany, she is the most experienced. Everything feels rushed so maybe her early success feels unearned but I think of it as a kind of short hand representation of her advantage. And I think this is more about putting the characters the audience cares about into desperation. It would be far less exciting if Dany rolled up with her huge army and just wiped the floor with Cersei.

Violater

Exclusive look at Bran communicating with Jon:

Jon:"Bran! It's been too long!"
Bran:"Hello Brother. Yes, you are a dragon now. Remember her on that night? She was so pretty. Father was there. To save her. It was an upright tower. The kind that makes women shudder. You remember don't you. Dragons."
Jon:"I have to go now"

"Did I mention being the three eyed raven"?

if the show does end with aunt and nephew banging, does that mean incest will be normalized in the US?

the homo sapiens on that planet earth have special genetics. you can't just keep literally fucking your family and then expect your family to be okay. The Targaryens would've stopped existing centuries ago because you can't survive if all you do is incest. In fact, that may have been one of the causes of the neanderthals' extinction.

At least the humans have societally decided that it's only acceptable if it's cousins, aunt/nephew, uncle/niece.

It's gross as fuck to everyone there of brother/sister like Jaime, or father/daughter like Crast

mantidor

Yes. Tywin had his own forces and the forces of Kings Landing when he was Hand. He never went for High Garden. Because Tywin understood what having allies meant.

That's the whole point of the discussion between the Iron Banker and Cersei. That even though Tywin had debts, and he had the ability to fight and win, he kept his allies because he wasn't a fool for some gold.

The only reason they attacked High Garden was because Cersei is a petty ruler.

what? no, if taking Highgarden was as easy as was shown he would have done it, period. The Tyrells were very powerful, they constantly mention how they are the second house but even Tywin admits that they are the first and strongest one. Even if he could take the Reach he knew it would be freaking hard, marriage was a much better option for everyone involved, he even was forcing Cersei into marrying Loras jesus.

I'm not even talking about the books, this is all from the show, how the house was presented to the audience.

what? no, if taking Highgarden was as easy as was shown he would have done it, period. The Tyrells were very powerful, they constantly mention how they are the second house but even Tywin admits that they are the first and strongest one. Even if he could take the Reach he knew it would be freaking hard, marriage was a much better option for everyone involved, he even was forcing Cersei into marrying Loras jesus.

I'm not even talking about the books, this is all from the show, how the house was presented to the audience.

But Tarly wouldn't have aided Tywin then, and would've aided the Tyrells. The Tyrells were only as strong as they were mainly because of Tarly and his forces. That's why Jamie goes to Tarly and asks him which side he would take, because he knew if Tarly was on the Tyrells side, that they would lose.

And the only reason Tarly switched sides was because Olenna committed treason against Cersei by aiding Dany.

c0de

unless over-confident euron pulls it out only to find out it doesn't work.

He at least can't use it himself as blowing the horn kills you. And for that, it has to be someone special. It would make a nice twist if he would offer it to Cersei, to give her control of the dragons. For a short time 😉

Brakke

Banned
Ones watch ends when they die. He's free to leave.

This excuse is only chill to lawyer-ass "boning down with wildlings is fine, actually" pedant Sam maybe.

Presumably the northerners are letting the desertion slide because he got rid of Bolton for them, they've been desperate for leadership, and he's basically implementing the policy a Lord Commander would as King in the North anyway.

It's the same as everything else. Oaths, birthrights, marriage vows, whatever only matter if someone's interested in enforcing them.

mantidor

But Tarly wouldn't have aided Tywin then, and would've aided the Tyrells. The Tyrells were only as strong as they were mainly because of Tarly and his forces. That's why Jamie goes to Tarly and asks him which side he would take, because he knew if Tarly was on the Tyrells side, that they would lose.

And the only reason Tarly switched sides was because Olenna committed treason against Cersei by aiding Dany.

There is really no indication of that at all in the show except for the fact that they took the castle at the end, which is actually quite absurd anyway because taking a castle is supposed to be hard. Not to mention the Lannister army had already suffered many blows, they even needed the Tyrell army to win Blackwater, this idea of the Tyrells not being "good soldiers" and the Tarlys being they only good ones has no real basis on the show besides wanting to rush things up.

And Tarly seems not at all bothered Cersei blew up the remains of house Tyrell in the sept, which everyone freaking knows, even Hotpie mentions it. He doesn't care about honor, except that he does, for some reason! it's so lazy, nonsensical writing to tie up house Tyrell and remove them as a factor, it's pretty damn annoying, it's as satisfying as a scene of Olenna "going back to her home planet and dying on the way there".

dogs can incest too

and it does affect them negatively too

you just reminded me that my dog humps my older sister's dog dominantly and like my little sister is all grossed out because they're 'cousins'.

Like, they're two dogs from two completely different families who are cousins only by human standards lmao. But I guess that's what happens when people always call your dog your child.

Les Cousins Dangereux.

Branduil

Unlike Cersei, who definitely did not commit treason by murdering the queen.

There is really no indication of that at all in the show except for the fact that they took the castle at the end, which is actually quite absurd anyway because taking a castle is supposed to be hard. Not to mention the Lannister army had already suffered many blows, they even needed the Tyrell army to win Blackwater, this idea of the Tyrells not being "good soldiers" and the Tarlys being they only good ones has no real basis on the show besides wanting to rush things up.

And Tarly seems not at all bothered Cersei blew up the remains of house Tyrell in the sept, which everyone freaking knows, even Hotpie mentions it. He doesn't care about honor, except that he does, for some reason! it's so lazy, nonsensical writing to tie up house Tyrell and remove them as a factor, it's pretty damn annoying, it's as satisfying as a scene of Olenna "going back to her home planet and dying on the way there".

Unlike Cersei, who definitely did not commit treason by murdering the queen.

"Allegedly".

I'm sure Cersei convinced everyone that Dany had a dragon teleport into a sept and blow it up with their dragon fire.

Top Bottom