• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

They are not even doing that, what they did with Bran is horrible, I do get why he would become emotionless but that development was nowhere, last we saw him he is in the weird wood tree outside of the wall still having emotions, still mourning Hodor and company, he wasn't an emotionless weirdo, then boom, detached aloof Bran all of the sudden.

Ok everyone but bran then

When setbacks can come out of nowhere when it's convenient, then why wouldn't we expect surprise turnarounds when convenient? This stuff does cheapen basically the entire war. We don't need to worry about Dany doing poorly, because it has already been firmly established that completely illogical turnarounds WILL happen when the writers deem them necessary

yep

it's a joke

dany's going to win and they're actually going to be surprised when people on twitter aren't completely shocked that she came back from such a defeat!

it's like people have said, the show is bending its rules to fit the endpoints, not building up to the endpoints with logical storytelling

Gigglepoo

Focusing on minor logistical issues, if funny, kind of misses the forest for the trees.

No complaints stick for show apologists. There's always a ham-handed excuse for why King's Landing citizens care that Myrcella's killer is brought to justice but no one cares about Maegery's. Or how Arya wants vengeance on the Freys but not the Boltons. Or why the Vale Knights are still in the north even though they weren't rewarded for winning back Winterfell.

Chumley

Banned
dany's going to win and they're actually going to be surprised when people on twitter aren't completely shocked that she came back from such a defeat!

Those YAS QUEEN tweets aren't going to generate themselves

D&D have "Make Dany look strong" written in bold letters above the white board in the writers room.

JakeD

I thought it was just because the Tyrells were rich, not a military power. That's why Tywin told Cersei about the mines running dry when she's bitching about having to marry Loras. When were they shown to be a military power?

Season 2, when they're backing renly as king and are seen as the strongest force and most likely to win until stannis assassinates renly. They joined forces with the Lannisters after that to beat stannis.
Not a whole lot happens between now and then to suggest they've diminished at all. Last season as well when mace Tyrell marches a large army into kings landing to save his daughter.

No complaints stick for show apologists. There's always a ham-handed excuse for why King's Landing citizens care that Myrcella's killer is brought to justice but no one cares about Maegery's. Or how Arya wants vengeance on the Freys but not the Boltons. Or why the Vale Knights are still in the north even though they weren't rewarded for winning back Winterfell.
They are still there? Shouldn't they be protecting their home now they have broken from the crown and the Lannisters probably don't take kindly to that.

Azzanadra

Is it just me or has the acting for some of characters gotten progressively worse.

I never liked Clarke, but I found myself cringing at Dany this past episode which even the most hammy of Mereen scenes would not do. Arya is another that is particularly noticeable, ever since she left for Braavos she seems to have embraced the "little badass" attribute a little too seriously. Tyrion is another, but I suppose in his case he at least has had nothing decent written for him since season 4.

Is it just me or has the acting for some of characters gotten progressively worse.

I never liked Clarke, but I found myself cringing at Dany this past episode which even the most hammy of Mereen scenes would not do. Arya is another that is particularly noticeable, ever since she left for Braavos she seems to have embraced the "little badass" attribute a little too seriously. Tyrion is another, but I suppose in his case he at least has had nothing decent written for him since season 4.

Felt this *hard* with Sansa last episode, too. It works better when she's discussing strategy, not telling blacksmiths and hardened soldiers how to prepare armor. In this case, I think it was the writing more than the acting, but Sophie is up and down for me. Still a lot better than Clarke, though.

This aren't minor logistical issues, it's the most important plot point, how these armies defeat each other is the whole point of this part of the story. Dany arrived to conquer and rule, you can't just brush off how are we supposed to get there.

Like I said, I think stuff like Jaime's army taking Highgarden is important and bad plotting, but roasting the writers over "OMG WHY DIDNT THE WALL SEND A RAVEN" and "OMG Cogman said that would make for bad drama and that's bad, somehow!" is misguided and making a mountain out of a molehill. To me, stuff like that completely terrible Sansa/Bran reunion scene is way more damning of the show. There are key dramatic moments they're just butchering with some awful writing and directing. That's much more damning than teleporting ships, to me.

It's gotten worse pretty much across the board, in tandem with the awful dialogue and what I can only assume is bad direction, looking at performances like Bran's and Arya's, when I know for a fact that Maisie Williams has been fantastic in this show in the past.

Jaime explained it to Olenna, it's basically that, they are stranded and the castle without provisions.

At least Olenna made the very obvious question of why Tywin had not tried to take Highgarden before since they were now with no gold for quite sometime. The answer is obvious as well the Tyrells had a huge army, which we know have decided to nerf because reasons.

The nerf of the Tyrell army I think is explained by Randyl Tarly and the other lords of the Reach turning on the Tyrells fighting for Cersei. Randyl Tarly will now be the new Warden of the South (His betrayal is likely out of book character for him but who knows) They decided they'd rather fight alongside the Queen instead of "Foreign savages and Eunuchs"

TrueBlue

It's interesting seeing the contrast between this thread and the other one. It almost seems like a hatewatch thread - or whatever you call that bollocks - at times. Or maybe it's just the other thread seems more positive by comparison.

I do really need to re-read the books though. Stopped at Dance, and I feel I'll have to wipe the slate clean before WoW eventually releases.

I actually like Williams' acting the most out of the Starks I think...

JakeD

It's interesting seeing the contrast between this thread and the other one. It almost seems like a hatewatch thread - or whatever you call that bollocks - at times. Or maybe it's just the other thread seems more positive by comparison.

I do really need to re-read the books though. Stopped at Dance, and I feel I'll have to wipe the slate clean before WoW eventually releases.

I've actually really enjoyed the past season and these episodes so far. I'm grateful we are getting an ending. I just can't resist criticizing these things when they're so obvious and would be so easily fixable with a scene or two or some modified dialogue.

I think the main probalem is that they could to a large extent alleviate some of these glaring issues quite easily - resorting a couple of scenes, adding a few bits of dialogue.

For example, if they threw in a line about most of the Tyrell's bannermen defecting with House Tarly to the crown, that Highgarden scene becomes 100% less silly. Even better, Randyll shows up at the head of an army (which the previous episode appeared to imply he'd be doing?) and they surrender without a fight.

Same run-time, it's less confusing, and with the added benefit of showing how politically outplayed Olenna has become.

Quite liking this season besides this though - loved the callback to Tyrion's sewer management job and everything at Dragonstone.

Gigglepoo

They are still there? Shouldn't they be protecting their home now they have broken from the crown and the Lannisters probably don't take kindly to that.

Royce has been in every episode this season and Sansa had to explain to the Vale smiths that leather keeps you warm. No explanation for why the Vale is still North, though.

Turin

Banned
I'm having fun with the show for what it is. Needs more Rory McCann though.

And Jon needs to lose that fucking manbun.

TrueBlue

I am definitely hate watching, I think Lena Heady is basically single handedly making it watchable

Never understood the concept personally. I can get "so bad it's good" and other similar things, but not hatewatching. We spend a fair chunk of life doing things we're not keen on, why do so in our spare time? At least that's how I see it.

But different strokes. And Lena is fantastic atm. That scene with Elaria was morbidly satisfying.

I've actually really enjoyed the past season and these episodes so far. I'm grateful we are getting an ending. I just can't resist criticizing these things when they're so obvious and would be so easily fixable with a scene or two or some modified dialogue.

Oh don't get me wrong - there's a lot to critique. Just more the general tone of the two threads is quite different. I think it's an interesting quirk for one forum.

They were going south to pick them up, which geographically makes no sense, they should have picked them up on their way to Dragonstone, but whatever, so in theory dornish soldiers are in the south, waiting and now without a leader.

Just watch as they are never mentioned again, their rulers being imprisoned and/or murdered will suddenly have no consequences.

Wouldn't the ships already be loaded with Dothraki and unsullied forces?

Morts

So am I the only book reader enjoying this season? I thought each of the three episodes was was better than the last.

So am I the only book reader enjoying this season? I thought each of the three episodes was was better than the last.

I haven't even read the most recent books except excerpts and I think the episodes have gotten noticeably worse with each one this season. S7E1 wasn't half bad, then E2 was silly and E3 was lunacy. Either way, incredibly disappointing after S6E9 and 10 were so good and we seemed to have finally gotten rid of Ramsay and the sand snakes so we were back on track to the good bits.

And yes I enjoy the technical aspects of the show and always have (except for some of the choreography lol).

I find things to enjoy in every episode. I was gleeful watching Lena Headey just be as cruel as humanly possible to these nothingburger Dorne characters who've been the worst part of this show for as long as they've been on it. The bad guys in general are fun to watch this season, if only because the good guys are such a charisma vacuum. I just think the overall storytelling and plotting is pretty dang bad.

j-wood

Going to be absolutely hilarious if Dany ends up losing and dies and everyone in here definitely saying how predictable her turn around to win is has a feast of crow.

Turin

Banned

I enjoyed the premiere more than most of season 6 and is my favorite so far. Episode 2 was kinda weak. Episode 3 was a little better.

Wvrs

So I suppose my question after watching this season thus far is: why did the showrunners decide to power through to the end, after S6, in just 15 episodes? Is there some kind of imperative here that I'm missing? The show's ratings are incredible and I'm surprised they feel a need to burn through plots and character arcs that clearly need a LOT more breathing space when they could quite comfortably get another few full seasons out of what has already happened and is to come.

S6 was at a decent level of pacing for me, except for the finale which I thought suddenly threw down the throttle. I was willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt heading into S7 and was hyped, but it's even worse. Too much happening off-screen, unclear periods of time lapsing between scenes, characters serving the plot rather than the plot servicing the characters...

Why?

So I suppose my question after watching this season thus far is: why did the showrunners decide to power through to the end, after S6, in just 15 episodes? Is there some kind of imperative here that I'm missing? The show's ratings are incredible and I'm surprised they feel a need to burn through plots and character arcs that clearly need a LOT more breathing space when they could quite comfortably get another few full seasons out of what has already happened and is to come.

S6 was at a decent level of pacing for me, except for the finale which I thought suddenly threw down the throttle. I was willing to give the show the benefit of the doubt heading into S7 and was hyped, but it's even worse. Too much happening off-screen, unclear periods of time lapsing between scenes, characters serving the plot rather than the plot servicing the characters...

Why?
Maybe they got tired of it and wanted to move on instead of just handing the reins over to someone else.

I find things to enjoy in every episode. I was gleeful watching Lena Headey just be as cruel as humanly possible to these nothingburger Dorne characters who've been the worst part of this show for as long as they've been on it. The bad guys in general are fun to watch this season, if only because the good guys are such a charisma vacuum. I just think the overall storytelling and plotting is pretty dang bad.

Yeah, Cersei, Jaime and Euron are still fun to watch

Hope Cersei makes it to the next season. Headey is really good

Brakke

Banned
There's always a ham-handed excuse for why King's Landing citizens care that Myrcella's killer is brought to justice but no one cares about Maegery's.

Jaime talked about that this episode.

Or how Arya wants vengeance on the Freys but not the Boltons.

This isn't a thing.

There's been good scenes every ep.

Gigglepoo

I've had a lot of fun watching the last two episodes. Things just fall apart when I dissect them. But at least I enjoy watching in the moment.

This isn't a thing.

I must have missed that. What did Jamie say? And why isn't Arya not caring about the Boltons a thing?

fanboi

Banned
So...

• Bran knows that Jon is a mix of Ice and Fire
  • Danerys is forced to go to the North
  • Fights the undead
  • Unite against the south
  • ???
  • Profit

And if they can prove that he is son of Rhaegar, he is the rightful heir?

Wvrs

Maybe they got tired of it and wanted to move on instead of just handing the reins over to someone else.

I can't believe that's true, and if it is then pretty shitty of them. Praying GRRM actually gets the last books out now, because this isn't how I want to leave ASOIAF.

...by writing off the entirety of King's Landing and remarking that all they care about is severed heads yet suspiciously not wanting anyone's severed head for the Sept blowing up with two of KL's most beloved people in it?

mantidor

I am definitely hate watching, I think Lena Heady is basically single handedly making it watchable

I definitely hate watch which is lame I know, but dragons are my weakness, and they obviously will fight this season.

Edit: and definitely this:

I enjoy the set pieces, costumes, sets, cinematography and occasionally the dialogue and acting

And music, the new theme for Cersei is amazing.

Wouldn't the ships already be loaded with Dothraki and unsullied forces?

Why go all the way to Dragonstone? It's a pretty long journey, they couldve land in Dorne and deploy their plans from there if ship space was the problem, moving the whole fleet up there only to make it go south and go around the whole continent is crazy.

So...

• Bran knows that Jon is a mix of Ice and Fire
  • Danerys is forced to go to the North
  • Fights the undead
  • Unite against the south
  • ???
  • Profit

And if they can prove that he is son of Rhaegar, he is the rightful heir?
I don't think he wants to be king, they'll likely keep it secret and hell say he is a Stark (bastard) till the day he dies.

Chumley

Banned

As much as I complain, I still enjoy it, but I can't help but constantly see areas where they could have done better. The spectacle of it all is still fun no matter how lazy the writing gets.

As much as I complain, I still enjoy it, but I can't help but constantly see areas where they could have done better. The spectacle of it all is still fun no matter how lazy the writing gets.

This was pretty much exactly going to be my reply. This show could be one of the all time greats with better/more disciplined writing. It was well on its way after the first few seasons, but it's really gone off the rails since. As it is, it's cool- it's still Monday morning water-cooler fodder, but it's aggravating at times due to the sloppy writing.

I'm mostly in it for the ride because of a few of the actors I enjoy (2 of which have been axed this episode), as well as the gorgeous set pieces and costumes.
I kind of accepted that the show is going to be a shitshow, and so far they've always managed to put something in where I thought "You know, this could've been dialogue that would have explained situations a bit better", and generally I feel like the quality of the dialogue has declined heavily.

That said, there's always a nugget or two of good stuff buried inside of these episodes.

Top Bottom