• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

I just was watching a few clips of season 1. Remember when the Stark host shot down Walder Frey's ravens so he couldn't send word to the Lannisters of Robb's movements? Insane how we went from such primitive methods to ships equipped with warp speed and high end scanners, as well as armies with such strong cloaking technology that they can move without anybody noticing until they're literally in front of a castle they want to take, and can besiege and conquer it in the blink of an eye with their photon torpedo launchers and phaser rifles.

D&D are going with cliff notes to wrap this bad boy up.

Gin-Shiio

I couldn't really sense sexual tension between Dany and Jon at all. People are letting on about their desires.
By the way, Sansa has become my favorite character. I just think her character arc is immensely satisfying AND makes sense. She's become such a no-nonsense persona, and it is great. I remember I used to be annoyed with her back in season 1. Well, I am no more.

mantidor

Sansa has always been my favorite character, which has been lonely at times :p she is the most realistic one, and deconstructing all of the princess tropes without transforming her into a "warrior" kind of character is extremely refreshing, if unpopular :p

Pluto

Sansa has always been my favorite character, which has been lonely at times :p she is the most realistic one, and deconstructing all of the princess tropes without transforming her into a "warrior" kind of character is extremely refreshing, if unpopular :p
She's my favourite character too. :)

1)I am assuming he is referring to both actors wooden performances.
lmao!

damn, people think kit & emilia are that bad? they may not be the best actors on the show but they do a good job, they get the job done. they are good in their roles. it's very iconic now, like dan/rupert/emma as harry/ron/hermione.

i don't think anyone else would've been better for these roles; even if they were better actors, it's just so hard to imagine and they're both very good looking and I think they put part of themselves in their characters. it's first i've ever seen of kit & emilia. well technically the first of kit i saw was how 2 train your dragons 2, but i didn't even know it was him coz i didn't even know about him.

2)The Dothraki are only loyal if they perceive the leader is strong, what happens when Dany continues to take the Ls? She can't control a 100k+ Dothraki army that loses their respect for her. I can almost guarantee that there will be rogue khalisars roaming Westeros and it will 100% be Dany's fault.
going by the trailers,
i think there will be a Dothraki battle this week. She will take the Dothraki and her dragons and go at Jaime & Randyl Tarly.

So, I don't think the Dothraki have abandoned her. They also probably don't speak English so they may have no idea about the Ls.
3)Same thing for the Ironborn, but we won't get to see that as they are all dead now.
They were all alive once and pledged to Yara, and Yara agreed to stop her degenerate way of life which means the Ironborn agreed to stop their degenerate way of life. If the Ironborn continued being degenerates that would've been 100% Dany's fault, too.

I couldn't really sense sexual tension between Dany and Jon at all. People are letting on about their desires.
By the way, Sansa has become my favorite character. I just think her character arc is immensely satisfying AND makes sense. She's become such a no-nonsense persona, and it is great. I remember I used to be annoyed with her back in season 1. Well, I am no more.

As Jon walks away from her after their last scene together, there's a lingering shot where she turns and looks at him. That could mean a few things, but with D & D writing it could very well mean "lol she totally wants to fuck him." But at the same time I didn't get any "sexual tension" from their conversations, so who knows.

As Jon walks away from her after their last scene together, there's a lingering shot where she turns and looks at him. That could mean a few things, but with D & D writing it could very well mean "lol she totally wants to fuck him." But at the same time I didn't get any "sexual tension" from their conversations, so who knows.

They have negative chemistry. Sperm cells die when their scenes are happening.

2 hot people on screen and my manhood just shrivels up thanks to terrible writing, acting and directing.

I just was watching a few clips of season 1. Remember when the Stark host shot down Walder Frey's ravens so he couldn't send word to the Lannisters of Robb's movements? Insane how we went from such primitive methods to ships equipped with warp speed and high end scanners, as well as armies with such strong cloaking technology that they can move without anybody noticing until they're literally in front of a castle they want to take, and can besiege and conquer it in the blink of an eye with their photon torpedo launchers and phaser rifles.

The magic is back in the world. Do you expect them not to use it?

She isn't quite my favorite but it's nice to see someone not shitting on her for once. She's a terrific character in the books imo. I think she's good in the show as well relative to show-quality writing. I mean the whole point of the character is that she was raised on the typical fantasy stories of medieval chivalry and it's all bullshit - she as a character is basically what ASOIAF is as a series to fantasy literature.

I imagine just announcing his intentions was sufficient to earn him a death sentence.

it's a stupidass plothole how neither Tyrion, Jon, Davos, nor even Varys tell Dany that she does have her history wrong and that Robb Stark was the last king in the north, and, Varys or maybe Tyrion could've told Dany that Jon's father resigned as King's Hand when late king Robert wouldn't back down from killing her.

Showaddy

Yeah this chapter is amazing. Euron is a creepy mf'er in the books. I can't see any actor pulling off that version of the character tbh.

That version of the character would never make it to TV regardless, makes show Ramsay look mild, HBO would be drowning in complaints.

Brakke

Banned
Complaints about show violence are always kinda silly when in the books we got Ramsay making Theon lick a minor's cooter before he, Ramsay, rapes her.

Books are horrific.

Speevy

Banned
it's a stupidass plothole how neither Tyrion, Jon, Davos, nor even Varys tell Dany that she does have her history wrong and that Robb Stark was the last king in the north, and, Varys or maybe Tyrion could've told Dany that Jon's father resigned as King's Hand when late king Robert wouldn't back down from killing her.

Or even better, they could have had a normal conversation

"I'm Jon. I control the northern houses."

"I'm Daenerys. I wish to take the throne from Queen Cersei."

"That's nice, but there are whitewalkers and an undead army marching on the wall."

"Undead? Are you serious? That sounds ridiculous."

"No, it's true. I know how it sounds. They're unstoppable and will kill everyone. If you'll send someone with me to get proof of what I've seen, I'll be happy to show you."

"That's quite all right. So will you help me fight Cersei?"

"No, I just told you. I need to stop the whitewalkers."

"Why are you here at Dragonstone then?"

"I want some dragonglass. There's a lot of it underneath this castle, and I want to mine it. It kills whitewalkers."

"Help yourself. Have a safe journey, Jon Snow."

"You too. Good luck defeating Cersei. Let me know if you change your mind about the whitewalkers."

Now you may think this conversation is simplistic or "More or less what they did." but I would argue that it makes a lot more sense than a contentious history lesson between two people who had never met, or Tyrion having this deep trust in Jon Snow after talking to him a few times.

What use is Varys if he can't even keep tabs on the Lannister army. You'd think he would've had spies in Casterly Rock and the capital.

"That's nice, but there are whitewalkers and an undead army marching on the wall."

"No, it's true. I know how it sounds. They're unstoppable and will kill everyone. If you'll send someone with me to get proof of what I've seen, I'll be happy to show you."

"I want some dragonglass. There's a lot of it underneath this castle, and I want to mine it. It kills whitewalkers."

"You too. Good luck defeating Cersei. Let me know if you change your mind about the whitewalkers."

Now you may think this conversation is simplistic or "More or less what they did." but I would argue that it makes a lot more sense than a contentious history lesson between two people who had never met, or Tyrion having this deep trust in Jon Snow after talking to him a few times.

well she was already expecting him to bend the knee; I don't think she knows Tyrion left that part out of the parchment, so she was expecting it as soon as they met but Dany hasn't asked that out many of her allies. Yara didn't kneel, I don't think Elaria or Olenna knelt either.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Danny wasn't having anything but a bent knee. She was being an idiot. All her time in Essos and she didn't learn that she EARNED the loyalty of those who followed her. She should know she will have to do the same in Westros.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
What use is Varys if he can't even keep tabs on the Lannister army. You'd think he would've had spies in Casterly Rock and the capital.

littlefinger and varys are completely useless at this point in the story. one of the most disappointing things about the show is that the two biggest schemers had the most boring end games in mind.

also illyrio has gone totally awol, lol. did he want to serve the people too?

Speevy

Banned
well she was already expecting him to bend the knee; I don't think she knows Tyrion left that part out of the parchment, so she was expecting it as soon as they met but Dany hasn't asked that out many of her allies. Yara didn't kneel, I don't think Elaria or Olenna knelt either.

Exactly,because they were conducting a business transaction, not fulfilling an incest prophecy.

Daenerys has no reason to talk down to Jon as though she's crushing his rebellion. He's just a person like Missandei or Daario Naharis.

TTG

Dany's faith speech was apropos of nothing. Best/worst part was her raving about how she was sold as brood mare for... because Jon wouldn't bend the knee or white walkers are ridiculous? One of those.

Exactly,because they were conducting a business transaction, not fulfilling an incest prophecy.

Daenerys has no reason to talk down to Jon as though she's crushing his rebellion. He's just a person like Missandei or Daario Naharis.

Incest prophecy???

I don't know why Dany had to treat Jon with so much hostility because it's not like Jon wanted the iron throne. It's clear that he doesn't care about it at all.

Speevy

Banned
Dany's faith speech was apropos of nothing. Best/worst part was her raving about how she was sold as brood mare for... because Jon wouldn't bend the knee or white walkers are ridiculous? One of those.

"First of all, no you weren't sold like a brood mare, whatever the fuck that is. I read the script too.

Second, ice zombies. Believe it or die. I'm done with you. Jon out."

yeah it did not make sense for her to start her rant on Jon when it's not like Jon was saying she doesn't deserve to be queen (other than not bending the knee), it just seemed like Jon didn't want to bother with royalty shit.

I think she was just trying to impress him by coming off as intimidating. Doesn't really work on him, though.

I thought the first conversation between dany and Jon was awful. On repeat viewing it really just falls apart. It follows no logical structure at all.

Tyrions character has really become a whole lot of nothing which is sad to see. He's become very one dimensional since leaving KL. Suffers the most for the downturn in standard of writing.

Will never stop plugging the Ollena Jaimie conversation. That was brilliant.

jfkgoblue

The conversation doesn't follow much of a logical path after another viewing, but watching Jon not putting up with Dany's entitled ass never gets old, no matter how many times I watch it.

Speevy

Banned
The conversation doesn't follow much of a logical path after another viewing, but watching Jon not putting up with Dany's entitled ass never gets old, no matter how many times I watch it.

If only either of them could act. Liam Cunningham better be getting a raise some time soon.

I thought the first conversation between dany and Jon was awful. On repeat viewing it really just falls apart. It follows no logical structure at all.

Tyrions character has really become a whole lot of nothing which is sad to see. He's become very one dimensional since leaving KL. Suffers the most for the downturn in standard of writing.

Will never stop plugging the Ollena Jaimie conversation. That was brilliant.

yeah i agree with all of this

Speevy

Banned
You can tell Bryan Cogman really worked on that broodmare speech as though it would represent a high point in the series.

Brakke

Banned
Lol "ruin". Get out of here, shipping is wassup. Readers been shipping Jon and Dany for like a decade before the show even happened anyway. Brienne X Tormund is a delight!

what did Barristan say?

http://ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones/

In short, he had read book 5 and expected to get a bigger role in Season 5, in accordance with the book, and then was disappointed over being killed off early.

Doran. It sounded like Ellaria wasn't super happy. I can't remember if Stannis attacked the writers or just the fans. Maybe both? I'm sure I'm forgetting some but I don't remember actors taking shots at writers on other shows.

Thanks!

Regarding Doran, I found the interview

http://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-alexander-siddig-part-1

I'm not really sure what happened there. I was contracted to do at least four episodes this season, but then I was in L.A. doing publicity for something else, and I got a call at the Chateau Marmont and there were familiar voices on the other end of the phone. It was one of those guys, and because they didn't introduce themselves it was like, ”Hi, it's me." I was like, ”Is that David or Daniel?" Anyway, they said, ”You know what this phone call is about." I was like, ”Yeah, well, I guess I do." ”So we were going to kill you off at the end of last season, but we decided that we're going to have to kill you off at the beginning of next season." I was like, ”Okay, life goes on." But there was something wrong about that because I had been contracted for four episodes in the following season, so if they were going to kill me off at the end of the last season why would they contract me for those four episodes? Because it costs them money whether I do them or not, so it's not great business sense to do it just in case.

So something happened; I have no idea what. There was an enormous amount of fan excitement when I got named to be on the show, and everyone was like, ”Oh my god, yes, Doran Martell. He's going to be great as Doran Martell." That might have been the kiss of death. Maybe they didn't want quite that much attention on that character. Maybe they thought, ”Well, let's prove that we're going to stray from the books. We're going to do something else, and he will be our first example of that." So maybe that could have been the case. Or maybe I just screwed up. Maybe I said the wrong thing to the wrong person.

Yeah he seems pretty pissed. He was definitely wasted.

Stannis actor seems pretty disdainful of the show

In an interview with RadioTimes.com, the actor, who is due to be seen in a second series of Sky Atlantic drama The Tunnel next month, was asked what he got out of Game of Thrones. He replied: ”Money".

Asked by RadioTimes.com if he also got ”professional and personal satisfaction" from the role he added with a faint smile: ”Er, no."

If that's not enough, he says that he barely watches the series.

”It's pretty brutal I couldn't watch much of that anyway. It's hardcore. Too tough for me.... It's just too painful.

”It's pretty intense, quite overwhelming, the whole world of it is pretty overwhelming."

Told about people who stopped watching the series after the scene in which his character Stannis authorised the burning alive of his own daughter he said he didn't "blame" them.

lol

Indira Varma didn't seem too pissed. She praised her death scene but maybe I'm not reading in between the lines enough.

HBO: How was working on Game of Thrones compared with your work with Rome?

Indira Varma: It's funny because they're not dissimilar. Rome was an amazing series. And they're both controversial, thought-provoking and challenging. I feel like Rome was a precursor for Game of Thrones because it was on such a massive scale. It was political and it had that historical aspect as well, and the period drama. I feel really proud of Rome. I feel like without it there wouldn't have been a Game of Thrones.

This part here. She only says that one of them is amazing..

Missy deserved that munching.

I still maintain that she should have returned the favour and devoured the cone (or used some other means of prostate stimulation)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This may be old news, but for the people in this thread who use twitter, be careful. There are people on Twitter doing searches for anyone who uses Game of Thrones terminology or names, like "Arya" "Drogon" etc and replying to them with what I guess are leaked spoilers. I got hit with one that thankfully was only a minor one I already knew. Just a head's up for people who go on Twitter to chat Game of Thrones.

I posted this in the other thread too. Wanted to give people a head's up.

This may be old news, but for the people in this thread who use twitter, be careful. There are people on Twitter doing searches for anyone who uses Game of Thrones terminology or names, like "Arya" "Drogon" etc and replying to them with what I guess are leaked spoilers. I got hit with one that thankfully was only a minor one I already knew. Just a head's up for people who go on Twitter to chat Game of Thrones.

I posted this in the other thread too. Wanted to give people a head's up.

wtf is wrong with people :/

Top Bottom