• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Gigglepoo

Indira Varma didn't seem too pissed.

I might be reading too much into this tweet:

RIP my beautiful sand snakes- you kicked arse when you had the chance @YoItsKeisha @JHenwick @HBO @GameOfThrones

"when you had the chance" struck me as a jab that the writers didn't even try to make those characters work.

I might be reading too much into this tweet:

RIP my beautiful sand snakes- you kicked arse when you had the chance @YoItsKeisha @JHenwick @HBO @GameOfThrones

"when you had the chance" struck me as a jab that the writers didn't even try to make those characters work.

hm, yeah, sort of sounds like it

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't know how Rome even came up, but yeah, it's awesome. The first two episodes of season 1 are slow, but after that it takes off and never looks back.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Or even better, they could have had a normal conversation

"I'm Jon. I control the northern houses."

"I'm Daenerys. I wish to take the throne from Queen Cersei."

"That's nice, but there are whitewalkers and an undead army marching on the wall."

"Undead? Are you serious? That sounds ridiculous."

"No, it's true. I know how it sounds. They're unstoppable and will kill everyone. If you'll send someone with me to get proof of what I've seen, I'll be happy to show you."

"That's quite all right. So will you help me fight Cersei?"

"No, I just told you. I need to stop the whitewalkers."

"Why are you here at Dragonstone then?"

"I want some dragonglass. There's a lot of it underneath this castle, and I want to mine it. It kills whitewalkers."

"Help yourself. Have a safe journey, Jon Snow."

"You too. Good luck defeating Cersei. Let me know if you change your mind about the whitewalkers."

Now you may think this conversation is simplistic or "More or less what they did." but I would argue that it makes a lot more sense than a contentious history lesson between two people who had never met, or Tyrion having this deep trust in Jon Snow after talking to him a few times.

I agree agree with you. The conversation was contrived to create a shorter scene with more tension. Again, it felt like LOST where people talk past each other just for the sake of miscommunication.

As for the bolded though, I think Tyrion just respects the fact that John Snow (who he traveled with for a really long ride) is a fucking nobody who seemed to have no ego and yet here he is.

As for the bolded though, I think Tyrion just respects the fact that John Snow (who he traveled with for a really long ride) is a fucking nobody who seemed to have no ego and yet here he is.

That and I feel Tyrion had a kinship with Jon Snow. They're both unwanted in a way, they're both 'bastards' of sorts, and they were both ostracized of sorts. I can see why both Jon and Tyrion have that kinship.

ZOONAMI

Can someone explain to me how Euron has discovered perfect fireball technology to just easily wipe the floor with any other armada?

Why do dragons even matter when euron has crazy as all hell fireballs? It'd like he could wipe the floor with the US navy out if nowhere. His ships are apparently insanely fast or there are just dramatic time jumps that can't be happening given how things are laid out.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah, and so long ago too.

It didn't seem that unbelievable to me. They always related with each other because thy were the black sheep of their family. Memories being as they are I could easily see them over-exaggerating the extent of their connection. Far from the most

I actually quite like Kit and Emilia's acting last episode. Was surprisingly impressed by their chemistry.

I... what? Were your expectations very low? I don't mean to be rue but I can't understand this.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah, and so long ago too.

Tyrion was there long enough for the recruits to start getting better and traveled there with him.

Not to mention he knows he was raised by Ned Stark, and likely learned his reputation as Nights Watch Commander from Varys and Mel

Dragonbinder

Neo Member
Can someone explain to me how Euron has discovered perfect fireball technology to just easily wipe the floor with any other armada?

Why do dragons even matter when euron has crazy as all hell fireballs? It'd like he could wipe the floor with the US navy out if nowhere. His ships are apparently insanely fast or there are just dramatic time jumps that can't be happening given how things are laid out.

Lol! Like what the hell are the fireballs?? Seems so weird to include and looks to just be in for the big spectacle for the show's battle scenes.

They look very cool but they're unheard of in the ASOIAF world, I believe...

Lol! Like what the hell are the fireballs?? Seems so weird to include and looks to just be in for the big spectacle for the show's battle scenes.

Either they built some catapults on those ships, or they are more like giant arrows or something set aflame.

Either they built some catapults on those ships, or they are more like giant arrows or something set aflame.

I think they're the same things that the slaver fleet used to siege Mereen back in season 6, no idea how they're so effective ship-to-ship though.

I just came in here to voice my displeasure at the HuffingtonPost for spoiling the episode for me. On the freaking front page, they have the title, "A Fond Farewell to This Badass 'Game of Thrones' Character with a picture of Olenna Tyrell.... Who on earth on that site thought that was a good idea? The episode just aired a few days ago.

Fuck I just remembered Barristan's awful death scene. What purpose did it even serve? He got killed off by some jobbers, absolutely no drama at all. When this show is good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's really fucking awful.

No but you see this is Game of Thrones not 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Little Babbies First Tea and Biscuits Fantasy' and not everybody gets some big heroic death so that justifies a completely terrible, anticlimactic, tensionless hackjob of a death scene. /defenceforce

I just came in here to voice my displeasure at the HuffingtonPost for spoiling the episode for me. On the freaking front page, they have the title, "A Fond Farewell to This Badass 'Game of Thrones' Character with a picture of Olenna Tyrell.... Who on earth on that site thought that was a good idea? The episode just aired a few days ago.

Shit, The New York Times spoiled a major Breaking Bad character death the day after it aired, on the front page even. My friend was fuming after he saw it.

Rixxan

I actually quite like Kit and Emilia's acting last episode. Was surprisingly impressed by their chemistry.

I too thought they had good screen chemistry

Though Emilia's acting will never be classically good, she's always been at least serviceable in the role, to me

I've enjoyed the season thus far, I'm willing to give the show a pass for D&Ds past missteps, which have snowballed on them in several ways now. But overall these seven seasons have been such a damn good ride.

It's funny because I'll see so much nitpicking and criticism, some fair, some not - and I can't help but think on all these other book to screen adaptations, and how often things get changed for the worse - especially adaptations where the source material is so exhaustive. Dunno just really appreciative of this series, despite its flaws, and think overall everyone involved in this has done an admirable job

Chuckie

Fuck I just remembered Barristan's awful death scene. What purpose did it even serve? He got killed off by some jobbers, absolutely no drama at all. When this show is good, it's great, but when it's bad, it's really fucking awful.

That truely was fucking awful.

I hated Stannis' (non-existent) death scene too. I was 100% convinced he wasn't dead, that Brienne changed her mind or something.

But no. He was dead.

Hjod

Banned
Too bad! "Relationshipping."

AKA the portion of the fanbase that ruins the show for the rest of us.

Lol "ruin". Get out of here, shipping is wassup. Readers been shipping Jon and Dany for like a decade before the show even happened anyway. Brienne X Tormund is a delight!

Shippers got us an eunich sex scene. Nuff said.

Missy deserved that munching.

Ehm, ok I guess...

Who did this besides the guy who played Barristan?

They way Barristan went out is not ok at all. One of the best knights in all of Westeros gets killed by a gaggle of goons.

maybe i should watch rome

You really should!

Then you should've watched it if you cared about being spoiled.

This is the age of On-Demand and DVR. Very few people actually watch episodes on the initial premier air-date. Responsible news sites shouldn't put spoilers literally in the headlines on the front page. A good journalist/editor knows how to hint at something to encourage the reader to click-thru to the article without making a blatant spoiler headline. It's just lazy.

Even a headline like this would have been better, "An End of Era on this Week's 'Game of Thrones' with a generic picture of Daenerys dragons. It hints at something, but the picture of the dragons give a bit of misdirection, so nothing is blatantly spoiled. Then the reader can decide to click-thru to the article if they've already seen the show or don't mind being spoiled. Took me 2 minutes to come up with that. HuffPo has chimps for editors over there.

Gin-Shiio

Fuck Sir Barristan. Showed up when things were already nice and dandy and proceeds to fuck over Jorah's romance with his Khaleesi. Death serves you well, asshole.

Barristan is probably one of the coolest cause/effects in the series, along with Dondarrion. Both really went a long way into showing the scale of the world. Sad how they did Selmy in the show.

Fuck Sir Barristan. Showed up when things were already nice and dandy and proceeds to fuck over Jorah's romance with his Khaleesi. Death serves you well, asshole.

Dany didn't want Jorah before Barristan spilled the beans either. It was never gonna happen dude. She basically sees him as a surrogate dad more than anything.

Also remember how they nailed Selmy's quitting scene? Straight out of the books, but still, the actor nailed it. This show was good, once https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OaMvxVHFs4

Gin-Shiio

I'd argue there were a few instances where sexual tension and affection were visible between Dany and Jorah. Not that I ever expected that to go anywhere. But still, it's a cute little romance, even if truly one-sided.

And besides, there is still more chemistry there than is with Dany and Jon. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

And besides, there is still more chemistry there than is with Dany and Jon. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

True but I've seen inanimate objects display more chemistry than those two in a room. I mean I kind of see the appeal, Dany and Jorah liked and respected each other. But she did not love him like that.

Paganmoon

I'd argue there were a few instances where sexual tension and affection were visible between Dany and Jorah. Not that I ever expected that to go anywhere. But still, it's a cute little romance, even if truly one-sided.

"between Dany and Jorah" is stretching it, it's a one-way street at best. (and thoroughly creepy in the books considering Dany is in her early/mid teens and Jorah is in his mid to late 30's iirc)

Rixxan

Yes. The circumstances of the scene have nothing to do with chemistry or not.

I would argue that the circumstances of the scene impact the demeanor in which the characters engage one another, which could influence perceived chemistry

But regardless of that I felt they shared the screen well, especially during their brief conversation on the steppes

mantidor

http://ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones/

In short, he had read book 5 and expected to get a bigger role in Season 5, in accordance with the book, and then was disappointed over being killed off early.

Thanks!

Regarding Doran, I found the interview

http://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-alexander-siddig-part-1

Yeah he seems pretty pissed. He was definitely wasted.

Stannis actor seems pretty disdainful of the show

lol

Indira Varma didn't seem too pissed. She praised her death scene but maybe I'm not reading in between the lines enough.

This part here. She only says that one of them is amazing..

I still maintain that she should have returned the favour and devoured the cone (or used some other means of prostate stimulation)

Lol

I've said it before the writing does not deserve the actors it has.

munchie64

I... what? Were your expectations very low? I don't mean to be rue but I can't understand this.
Nah, I'm pretty hard on those two in general especially because of how important the characters are supposed to be, but here was some of their strongest stuff in awhile.

In particular, that scene with just them hit pretty well, maybe cause the stronger supporting actors weren't around. I don't really want a romance or anything between them btw, just thought they worked OK together.

Brakke

Banned
Jorah, when he returns: "Khaleesi! I have fulfilled your command! Also I stole some forbidden knowledge from the Citadel's restricted section."

*drops a copy of "Seven Sex Positions for Seven Kingdoms" on the desk*

J: "I thought we could start with 'ours is the fury'! Because our love is furiously strong!"

Dany: 👋😅 oh wow I didn't think you'd survive oops.

Moff

As soon as Jorah sees Dragonstone on the horizon he will spot Jon and Dany having Sex on flying Drogon

maybe i should watch rome
At least watch season 1. One of the best television program ever. But season 2 suffers from GoT season 7 syndrome. Moves mega fast. But to their defense show was canceled due to heavy cost. Back in 2003 this type of production value for TV was unheard of. Barely any CGI and all real sets.

Top Bottom