• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Turin

Banned
Which side characters still have compelling stories? I can't really think of any. It's just Jon, Cercei, and Dany and no one else matters. Maybe Mel? If she comes back from Volantis.

Don't know where his story's going but I hope they do right by the Hound.

Moff

I hope Bran and the children of the forest will be more important than cersei, dany and jon

I also expect Theon and Littlefinger to do something important before they die

btrboyev

Something just popped into my head, not sure if this has been discussed. So Jaime gives Olenna the poison.. she goes out like a gangster ... or does she?? They don't show her die, only Jaime storming out of the room right?

I'm sure she's likely dead or dying but given how carefully crafted the edits on this show are, is it possible there is something left for Olenna? She was a fan favorite, the creators knew this so maybe they're leaving a little something out?

She's gone. Would cheapen the death if it were onscreen. And according to Jaimie it would be painless anyway.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ok fair enough, and perhaps this variation of on screen deaths is actually a thought out contrast to the rest. Not showing an old grandma choke out and die and instead her last scene is her powerful admission leaving that as her last impression. Maybe this was debated in the edit room and the team decided it was better not to show.

I was honestly worrried during the long lingering shot of her at the end that they were going to show her collapse on the table and it would be really funny.

What's up with uncle greyjoys accent. Is he irish trying not to be or the other way round.

He's Danish. It's definitely weird, but they've never cared much about keeping accents straight.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I haven't read the books, so question for book readers:

The Wall never was destroyed before, right? Like, the wall that exists right now is the one that was built way back then?

Also, it's backed by magic, right? The White Walkers can't get past it not just because it's huge, but because there is some type of magic that repels them?

Good call. I'm curious what happens to the BWB. Hopefully something.

If the trailers released prior to the season are any indication they'll be
forming a circle and fighting against the army of the dead before season's end. And will probably all die.

The Wall never was destroyed before, right? Like, the wall that exists right now is the one that was built way back then?

Also, it's backed by magic, right? The White Walkers can't get past it not just because it's huge, but because there is some type of magic that repels them?

You are correct on all counts. In the books, there is talk of a Horn of Winter (Mance was searching for it) that may be able to bring down the wall. However, in the show, it appears the army of the dead will simply walk around the wall, showing how pitifully stupid their counterparts in the books are. Because D&D are smart like that.

As far as we know, the wall has existed and not fallen since started. It has been raised higher by hundreds of lords Commander for the last thousands of years.

There is magic that appears to keep wights and white walkers out. The magic allows those who have taken the nights watch oath to pass through these special gates. At least one we know of is below the wall in the nightfort.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
As far as we know, the wall has existed and not fallen since started. It has been raised higher by hundreds of lords Commander for the last thousands of years.

There is magic that appears to keep wights and white walkers out. The magic allows those who have taken the nights watch oath to pass through these special gates. At least one we know of is below the wall in the nightfort.
Doesn't keep Wights out. One was brought to the other side and attacked Mormont in GoT/S1.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
forming a circle and fighting against the army of the dead before season's end. And will probably all die.

You are correct on all counts. In the books, there is talk of a Horn of Winter (Mance was searching for it) that may be able to bring down the wall. However, in the show, it appears the army of the dead will simply walk around the wall, showing how pitifully stupid their counterparts in the books are. Because D&D are smart like that.

Yeah, I love GoT, but if they just walk around it I will legitimately be pissed off. That would be so lazy after the wall is built up so much after all this time. There has to be another way this unfolds.

Does anyone know if they can fly over it?

Moff

there is no way they will pass on the spectacle that is bringing down the wall. if anything D&D will do that and GRRM won't

mantidor

Doesn't keep Wights out. One was brought to the other side and attacked Mormont in GoT/S1.

It technically revived at the other side, so it seems the Night King powers of resucitation extend beyond the wall, but they can't physically cross it.

It does make you think if Jon might be a wight though.

Iksenpets

Banned

The books are always pretty clear on the idea that historical records in this world more than a few hundred years old are pretty unreliable, but yeah, there's no record of the wall ever having come down or being rebuilt. There is also definitely magic to it, very explicitly in the books. Coldhands says he can't cross it because of the magic, Jon and Ghost's warg connection is severed whenever they're on opposite sides of the Wall, Melisandre says her magic is stronger when she's near the Wall, and Sam literally speaks with a magic door built into the Wall. Melisandre also believes that her spells can't cross spells built into the walls of Winterfell and Storm's End, both of which were supposedly built by the same person as the Wall was, Bran the Builder, which is why Davos has to smuggle her past the walls to unleash the shadow baby that kills Renly, and why the Boltons can't just be killed from afar.

there is no way they will pass on the spectacle that is bringing down the wall. if anything D&D will do that and GRRM won't

I hope you're right- I really do. But, they've pretty much set up what's going to happen by sending Tormund and his wildlings to Eastwatch, I fear.

Moff

I hope you're right- I really do. But, they've pretty much set up what's going to happen by sending Tormund and his wildlings to Eastwatch, I fear.

maybe both happens and the night king needs to do it from the south but the wall will fall, no doubt. maybe they win the battle and the cliffhanger is the wall falling and there is another much bigger undead army waiting behind it, something like that

Coldhands would perhaps suggest otherwise, but they could be different types of wights, or the difference between the living, magic gate of the nightfort and the conventional hole in the wall at castle black.

My theory is the only gates back in the day were the magic ones, and later when castle black became headquarters and wildlings the focus over white walkers, that the standard gates allowed for stuff that might not have worked when the wall was first built.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was listening to the s6 soundtrack at work today, so many great tracks: Light of the Seven, Needle, Winds of Winter,... First time I sat down and listened to a full season OST outside of the show but I was surprised it had so many highlights.

Gigglepoo

Do you think there's a character on the show whose motivations we don't know yet? A character who has been lying this whole time and who'll flip to the other side maybe or some other twist that plays on who the character is? A spy? A change of heart?

Jamie might go against Cercei at some point but I can't think of anyone carrying a secret. Would love to see something tricky go down. I can't remember the last time a character did a 180, though.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Do you think there's a character on the show whose motivations we don't know yet? A character who has been lying this whole time and who'll flip to the other side maybe or some other twist that plays on who the character is? A spy? A change of heart?

Jamie might go against Cercei at some point but I can't think of anyone carrying a secret. Would love to see something tricky go down. I can't remember the last time a character did a 180, though.

i hope to god varys is lying. the way things are, his character is worthless without faegon.

jfkgoblue

i hope to god varys is lying. the way things are, his character is worthless without faegon.
Varys doesn't make any sense without faegon, his scene with Illyrio shows that he is still working on restoring the Targs even back in season 1, but he still tried to kill Dany in season 1.

His character literally needs Aegon to make any sense.

mantidor

Varys doesn't make any sense without faegon, his scene with Illyrio shows that he is still working on restoring the Targs even back in season 1, but he still tried to kill Dany in season 1.

His character literally needs Aegon to make any sense.

Didn't he also prevent the assassination by warning Norah?

jett

D-Member
I was listening to the s6 soundtrack at work today, so many great tracks: Light of the Seven, Needle, Winds of Winter,... First time I sat down and listened to a full season OST outside of the show but I was surprised it had so many highlights.

I think it's the only current TV show I watch with a musical score that actually stands out.

mantidor

No, Jorah found out about the assassination because he received a royal pardon.

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't he recieve the same message twice? the first time he said nothing but the second he realized the assassination was about to happen, wasn't something like that?

jfkgoblue

Maybe I'm misremembering but didn't he recieve the same message twice? the first time he said nothing but the second he realized the assassination was about to happen, wasn't something like that?
No, he only figured it out when he was handed the pardon by one of Varys's kids. He was given the pardon then stopped the wine salesmen.

And Littlefinger is worthless without competent writers.

to be fair LF has been bad on this show all along. I don't think they ever did him justice. He's the most secretive man in westeros (bar varys) blabbing his secrets to whores and openly boasting about how sneaky he is to Varys, in the throne room.

Gigglepoo

"And by break the wheel I mean I'm going to rule over Westeros with the same unquestioned power as the Targaryans have for centuries."

http://ew.com/article/2015/05/01/ser-barristan-dead-thrones/

In short, he had read book 5 and expected to get a bigger role in Season 5, in accordance with the book, and then was disappointed over being killed off early.

Thanks!

Regarding Doran, I found the interview

http://www.startrek.com/article/catching-up-with-alexander-siddig-part-1

Yeah he seems pretty pissed. He was definitely wasted.

Stannis actor seems pretty disdainful of the show

lol

Indira Varma didn't seem too pissed. She praised her death scene but maybe I'm not reading in between the lines enough.

This part here. She only says that one of them is amazing..

I still maintain that she should have returned the favour and devoured the cone (or used some other means of prostate stimulation)

he's right, though. i don't know why they decided to cut him loose, there wasn't any need to twist his death like Robb's & Ned's and he would've been so valuable now, he would've been commanding the army making moves, not Tyrion. Maybe season 7 wouldn't have gone so roughly for Dany just now if Ser Barristan was there.

index5ckah.jpg
I saw this and thought it was pretty fantastic. Sometimes, this show really doesn't give a flying fuck.

Moff

I saw this and thought it was pretty fantastic. Sometimes, this show really doesn't give a flying fuck.
Watching the scene I thought it was pretty obvious Bran picked an example to convince Sansa of his abilities. So its something only she would know about.

I guess they wanted a recent thing. I would have revealed her treachery to Ned, and consoled her on it, or revealed the multiple treacheries that LF has committed. He could have chosen a more not creepy moment.

Why not mention how LF threw Lysa off the Moon Door, or maybe the "Little Bird" the Hound used to call her. I don't know. So many things, and the show decided to obviously portray the most controversial one.

KahooTs

Was she in front of a weirwood in the scene he recounted to her? Might be why.

Sansa and Bran are a dumb mess anyway. They've given up on that shit.

I hope Bran and the children of the forest will be more important than cersei, dany and jon

I also expect Theon and Littlefinger to do something important before they die

I feel like they either need to accomplish something first or be put in a position where their death would be consequential. With Littlefinger I suppose there's the argument that it'd sever the alliance with the Vale.

Also, are we generally deciding that a lot of the leaks turned out to be untrue at this point?

fuzaco

I feel like they either need to accomplish something first or be put in a position where their death would be consequential. With Littlefinger I suppose there's the argument that it'd sever the alliance with the Vale.

Also, are we generally deciding that a lot of the leaks turned out to be untrue at this point?

Every leak turned out to be true so far, so it's safe to say they're all legit.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Watching the scene I thought it was pretty obvious Bran picked an example to convince Sansa of his abilities. So its something only she would know about.

She was full of emotions and he was so cold. My only explanation watching the episode is that Bran saw her do something awful in the future.

Top Bottom