• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Did Tyrion tell Jamie he killed Joffrey in the show? Or was that a book thing? I'm trying to figure out what the ramifications of Ollena's confession was other than a badass scene.

I don't think he did. A large part of the reason Tyrion did that was because he wanted to hurt Jaime for covering for Tywin re: Tysha. With her role dropped from the story at that point there wasn't really any need for it.

JakeD

Did Tyrion tell Jamie he killed Joffrey in the show? Or was that a book thing? I'm trying to figure out what the ramifications of Ollena's confession was other than a badass scene.

It could add some weight to Jaime finally disconnecting with cersei when he gives her proof of tyrions innocence with joffrey and she basically doesn't care. Combined with the other things she said about cersei in that scene it makes sense

jett

D-Member
https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/893471977469607936

DGZABsMV0AE-Mwa.jpg

In more relevant news, he also posted some art for an ASOIAF calendar

DGUe1ZKUAAAaIcl.jpg

DGUe1YFUwAAVoCK.jpg

DGUe1Y9UIAANoW9.jpg

I really loved what Cersei has done to the Tyene and Ellaria. I thought she would just throw them to Gregor and call it a day. Now this is a proper, satisfying revenge!

Gigglepoo

It could add some weight to Jaime finally disconnecting with cersei when he gives her proof of tyrions innocence with joffrey and she basically doesn't care. Combined with the other things she said about cersei in that scene it makes sense

He doesn't have proof, though. Ollena didn't work alone (Dontos and Littlefinger helped) so there's no reason her confession should absolve anyone else.

I just re-watched the scene before Tywin dies and Tyrion didn't tell Jamie he killed Joffrey. I guess that's where the whitewashing of Tyrion began.

jfkgoblue

He doesn't have proof, though. Ollena didn't work alone (Dontos and Littlefinger helped) so there's no reason her confession should absolve anyone else.

I just re-watched the scene before Tywin dies and Tyrion didn't tell Jamie he killed Joffrey. I guess that's where the whitewashing of Tyrion began.
It began way before then. The show acted like he actually loved Shae or how he treated Sansa on their wedding night.

The whitewashing has always been present in the show.

So the Episode 4 really leaked. Not the script, but the episode itself. Watch out, y'all, the social networks are dark and filled with spoilers.

Saya

Yep, I just got spoiled on fucking Instagram. Someone posted the leaked episode 4 spoilers in their story wtf

jett

D-Member
Anyone else watch Alt Shift X's analyses?

Here's the one for episode 3. It sounds like he's getting fed up with the geographical and travelling shenanigans of the show (among other things). He also brings something (sadly) interesting, how Jon's resurrection has mattered very little and how it hasn't reflected any changes in Jon Snow. I definitely expect the book to be better about it, and for Jon to be treated as more of a messianic figure. Honestly I expect TWOW to be completely different and for the people that insist that D&D are following some guideline to finally shut the fuck up. If it ever comes out!

rashbeep

Banned

Here's the one for episode 3. It sounds like he's getting fed up with the geographical and travelling shenanigans of the show (among other things). He also brings something (sadly) interesting, how Jon's resurrection has mattered very little and how it hasn't reflected any changes in Jon Snow. I definitely expect the book to be better about it, and for Jon to be treated as more of a messianic figure. Honestly I expect TWOW to be completely different and for the people that insist that D&D are following some guideline to finally shut the fuck up. If it ever comes out!

it's weird because Bran has a sudden shift in character after what he has experienced, and Jon remains the same.

I'm generally OK with time jumping in order to speed things like movement around the map up, etc., but the logistics of what's happening in the war are a different story. The leaps of logic the writers are asking me to make are just too great. The biggest recent example being the Lannister/Tarly siege of Highgarden. In the best of circumstances, the Lannister/Tarly forces should have taken extremely heavy losses trying to take what is an easily defensible position. Moreover, there's no way such a large force can be moved across that much open territory with no warning of its impending arrival. This is all explained away by being informed that the Tyrells simply "suck at fighting." That's just not good enough for me. Defending a fortified position is a hell of a lot easier than taking one.

That whole scenario could have played out much better by having Tarly and his forces pull a double-cross from the inside, or by having the Lannister forces wait for the Tyrell forces to leave Highgarden en route to KL (that's what the plan was, right?) and then engage them on neutral ground between Highgarden and KL. Then, the whole "Tyrells suck at fighting" excuse could have actually meant something.

As for the handling of Jon's death/revival- it appears that in the show this was nothing more than a convenient way to get Jon out of the Watch. I'd expect Martin's handling to be entirely different. What else could we expect from D&D, though? This is just what they do...

Turin

Banned
My guess is D&D wouldn't want to risk alienating show-only fans by making stark changes to Jon's characterization. So they give him a fucking man-bun and say job well done.

Jon's story is still what I'm looking forward to most in Winds but I am concerned GRRM will barely move anything along overall.

Guys, Bran has seen things. Jon just lay on a bed. Please leave zombie bran alone.

GRRM's interview, where he talked about Beric slowly turning into a wight driven by fire, instead of ice, was pretty cool.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Nice, it's out. I'll watch it now.

Regarding Jon's resurrection, it does seem like he's kinda the same, but he did go through a mini arc last season of being all depressed and faithless right after he got rezzed, into finding something to fight for. Still, I think I see where ASX's criticisms are coming from. I'll have to listen.

Considering GRRM said he thought death & resurrection was pointless unless there was a significant cost/change in the character, Jon is either NOT coming back in the books or it will be markedly different to the show. If he ever told them that part of his notes i feel like the meaning flew over their head, and I don't mean to rag on them but sometimes it feels like they can't see the forest for the trees in terms of themes/allegories/implications.

Ros8105

Man, the Lannister soldiers fight out of fear/the unsullied for freedom thing is real bullshit.

The largest change to Jon's character was when he was ready to flee some place warm with Sansa. Other than that there's been no change to his character.

gun_haver

There is still time and space for Jon having died and come back to mean something to the plot, but as it stands it is nothing more than a manipulative end of season cliffhanger, and the show usually finds less cheap ways of leaving you wanting more than that.

Having said that, Jon's the most interesting that he has ever been now. Not necessarily because his character has gotten deeper, but because of the situations he now finds himself in that he is actually doing things with other members of the main cast, as opposed to hanging out with a bunch of scruffy side characters. So I don't need them to focus on it, but if they don't make something of it, it will remain a dumb part of the show that didn't really need to happen, because it adds absolutely zero to what it happening now only a season later.

Sotha_Sil

That whole scenario could have played out much better by having Tarly and his forces pull a double-cross from the inside, or by having the Lannister forces wait for the Tyrell forces to leave Highgarden en route to KL (that's what the plan was, right?) and then engage them on neutral ground between Highgarden and KL. Then, the whole "Tyrells suck at fighting" excuse could have actually meant something.

I thought it was heavily implied that this is what happened. For starters, Cersei's forces have been one step ahead of Tyrion's plan from the get-go, and we knew the Tyrell army was going to siege King's Landing. It's not a big jump to say they planned to siege Highgarden while it had a skeleton crew defending it. When Olenna asks how they fought, Jamie says "As well as could be expected." That sounds like the Tyrell's were hopelessly outnumbered from the get-go.

This is perfect.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Not necessarily because his character has gotten deeper, but because of the situations he now finds himself in that he is actually doing things with other members of the main cast, as opposed to hanging out with a bunch of scruffy side characters.

7082c8e9700db2d7acef8f4560a06357.gif

How dare you disparage the best character on the show

Rixxan

[bold]My guess is D&D wouldn't want to risk alienating show-only fans by making stark changes to Jon's characterization. [/bold] So they give him a fucking man-bun and say job well done.

Jon's story is still what I'm looking forward to most in Winds but I am concerned GRRM will barely move anything along overall.

I would also think this was the conscious decision, I'm sure the books will display a more significant change in his demeanor - always helps to have the internal monologue that the books provide in cases such as this

I mean, even show Thoros still smiles and emotes a bit of personality, and that's after countless resurrections

gun_haver

7082c8e9700db2d7acef8f4560a06357.gif

How dare you disparage the best character on the show

Tormund excepted.

I would also think this was the conscious decision, I'm sure the books will display a more significant change in his demeanor - always helps to have the internal monologue that the books provide in cases such as this

I mean, even show Thoros still smiles and emotes a bit of personality, and that's after countless resurrections

Thoros is the guy who does the reviving, I think, it's Beric who has been revived. Also, I don't think he's really gone through much of a change either. Maybe from who he was before he died the first time, but we barely knew him. He's died once on screen since the first time and he seems to be exactly the same. He's got a personality, a wry sense of humour, and seems to be a fairly affable and moral person. He's got the physical scarring from his deaths but I think in the show, dying and coming back just doesn't really have much of an effect, his dramatic speech about being a little less every time put aside. That could be taken to mean anything.

Eidan

The best thing about TWOW is that you can always have faith that it'll be better, because it'll never come out.

ZOONAMI

Can the three eyed crow see the 100% future or just the most likely future that can be changed? If the 100% future it's actually kind of lame. Like I know the future and there's literally nothing you can do to stop it. You can try, but some other events will then fall into place to make sure what you don't want to happen does happen.

tmdorsey

Jon's dying is just to get him out of his Nights Watch oath as far as the books are concerned. I wouldn't be mad if he didn't change much. The other 2 instances of dying and being revived were very different circumstances from Jon's. Beric had been revived multiple times and Cat was dead for a long time before revived. You can see those resurrections have repercussions. You also have the fact that Jon warged into Ghost before he actually "died" as another variable.

Rixxan

Tormund excepted.

Thoros is the guy who does the reviving, I think, it's Beric who has been revived. Also, I don't think he's really gone through much of a change either. Maybe from who he was before he died the first time, but we barely knew him. He's died once on screen since the first time and he seems to be exactly the same. He's got a personality, a wry sense of humour, and seems to be a fairly affable and moral person. He's got the physical scarring from his deaths but I think in the show, dying and coming back just doesn't really have much of an effect, his dramatic speech about being a little less every time put aside. That could be taken to mean anything.

Whoops, yeah. Certainly meant Berric

Lautaro

Fucking youtube recommending me videos with leaked scenes of GoT, ugh!

It will be hard but I think I'll try to stay away from Youtube for a while.

LifEndz

Jon's dying is just to get him out of his Nights Watch oath as far as the books are concerned.

Does anyone think they'll use his resurrection as a way to get around that curse placed on Danny (when the sun rises in the west, when the mountains yadda yadda and all that jazz).

Hahaha if you say so.

The preview chapters have been fantastic though? The show isn't exactly a staple of fantastic writing anymore.

The Aeron preview chapter, linked earlier in this thread, was a fantastic showing of Euron - definitely better than anything in the show (of Euron) so far.

Edit - Also what's with these very reductive replies? The original poster made a point and you both reply in a condescending manner. It's quite pointless, doesn't promote discussion or anything. I'd genuinely like to know why you'd be negative on the preview chapters? I read AFFC and ADWD quite late and still found both enjoyable, though I understand people's complaints of them being heavily padded. The preview chapters have been a massive improvement on this front, given we can't fully judge until we read them in the context of the book.

With regards to Jon's Resurrection. I hope we see something familiar to either show Benjen or Cold Hands. A decaying body, but his mind remains fully intact as a result of warging into Ghost. The cost of victory against the others being the spell keeping him alive would be a bittersweet ending. I don't believe there will be an iron throne come the end of the books, and I hope the same of the series too.

LifEndz

Fucking youtube recommending me videos with leaked scenes of GoT, ugh!

It will be hard but I think I'll try to stay away from Youtube for a while.

This just happened to me. I went on looking for an old Stern show clip to listen to and right on the front page where recommendations for parts of the leaked episode.

mantidor

For the show emo Jon was enough of a change, I'm sure D&D think Ramsay's letter and pushy Sansa are enough to get back normal Jon, I wouldn't expect his resurrection to amount for anything except Dany seeing his scars and thinking he's cool or something.

Salvadora

The preview chapters of The Winds of Winter have indeed been very well written.

Beyond what we see in the show by quite a distance.

Top Bottom