• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

The theory of cold hands being the last survivor of a group of heroes sent north to defeat the others is brilliant imho. Being the survivor of a fellowship, if you will.

Theres so many characters I can't wait to see more of in the world of ASOIAF. Given I've only read the books in the past few years, I'm a lot more hopeful of their eventual release!

Gigglepoo

The theory of cold hands being the last survivor of a group of heroes sent north to defeat the others is brilliant imho. Being the survivor of a fellowship, if you will.

I heard he's one of Bloodraven's old Night's Watch buddies. Either way, I'm really excited to see how he fits into the larger narrative. And if Benjen will ever return.

Eidan

The preview chapters have been fantastic though? The show isn't exactly a staple of fantastic writing anymore.

The Aeron preview chapter, linked earlier in this thread, was a fantastic showing of Euron - definitely better than anything in the show (of Euron) so far.

Edit - Also what's with these very reductive replies? The original poster made a point and you both reply in a condescending manner. It's quite pointless, doesn't promote discussion or anything. I'd genuinely like to know why you'd be negative on the preview chapters? I read AFFC and ADWD quite late and still found both enjoyable, though I understand people's complaints of them being heavily padded. The preview chapters have been a massive improvement on this front, given we can't fully judge until we read them in the context of the book.

With regards to Jon's Resurrection. I hope we see something familiar to either show Benjen or Cold Hands. A decaying body, but his mind remains fully intact as a result of warging into Ghost. The cost of victory against the others being the spell keeping him alive would be a bittersweet ending. I don't believe there will be an iron throne come the end of the books, and I hope the same of the series too.
I have no problem explaining my condescension. I think comments like "the preview chapters we've seen are light years better than the show" are stupid because when people say AFFC and ADWD are lackluster, they're not talking about the qualty of every given chapter, they're talking about how those chapters all work together to make a compelling narrative. Any individual chapter of AFFC is well written, with decent, sometimes even very impressive dialogue and prose. It's only when reading it all together that you see it's a meandering mess written by a man who clearly isn't sure how he's going to get from point A to point B.

The show has its problems. Martin has his. And at this point, I prefer the faster pace and slimmer narrative of the show, with all the leaps of logic and suspension of disbelief it often requires, over plodding detail that leads to dull reads and close to an 8 year wait between books.

I don't see how the preview chapters have been fantastic at all. They seem to be moving with the same plodding pace of ADWD, which makes me worry about the rest of the book.

TheXbox

I don't see how the preview chapters have been fantastic at all. They seem to be moving with the same plodding pace of ADWD, which makes me worry about the rest of the book.
The Arianne chapters sound terrible. Otherwise, I'm not sure how you can levy that complaint against the other chapters. They all seem on par with the last act of ADWD - which is to say, fast-paced and extremely good (makes sense, too, seeing as how some of those chapters probably got the ax before ADWD's publication).

That Aeron chapter in particular is on some House of the Undying shit. Vic/Aeron are lowkey some of the best new POVs in the series.

Gigglepoo

Sorry, I should have said "For people who enjoy smart characterizations and thoughtful narratives, the preview chapters are light years beyond the show."

But they're very different from the show's storytelling so I can understand how someone would prefer lightning pacing and shallow plotting. The former works better in a book and the latter works better in a blockbuster television series.

Slater

Banned
Nothing about Arianne is thoughtful or interesting. Her dithering about wasting everyone's time on idiotic plots that don't matter is Jaime/Dorne tier. With the editing to match!

Showaddy

Sorry, I should have said "For people who enjoy smart characterizations and thoughtful narratives, the preview chapters are light years beyond the show."

But they're very different from the show's storytelling so I can understand how someone would prefer lightning pacing and shallow plotting. The former works better in a book and the latter works better in a blockbuster television series.

I think it's also fair there were some excellent chapters within Feast/Dance as well. However to say that they were representative of the complete books would be false so a bit of cynicism around these preview chapters is to be expected. Especially as GRRM isn't likely to preview a load of plodding nothingness to get people excited.

Rixxan

I have no problem explaining my condescension. I think comments like "the preview chapters we've seen are light years better than the show" are stupid because when people say AFFC and ADWD are lackluster, they're not talking about the qualty of every given chapter, they're talking about how those chapters all work together to make a compelling narrative. Any individual chapter of AFFC is well written, with decent, sometimes even very impressive dialogue and prose. It's only when reading it all together that you see it's a meandering mess written by a man who clearly isn't sure how he's going to get from point A to point B.

The show has its problems. Martin has his. And at this point, I prefer the faster pace and slimmer narrative of the show, with all the leaps of logic and suspension of disbelief it often requires, over plodding detail that leads to dull reads and close to an 8 year wait between books.

With me it's not even that I "prefer" the show, it's that the show is the only thing giving me content - and for that reason alone I don't understand the constant need to slam D&D - lol

"Fucking hacks"

I mean maybe but at least they are seeing this through, and had the interest in this world to bring it to life on HBO. I feel like the creator of this masterwork has long since lost his passion for it.

And don't get me wrong I'll forever be endebted to grrm for this incredible world. Also, ultimately he owes me absolutely nothing, it's his life and I'm not here to judge the man - but yeah, I've moved on because I started reading this almost 20 years ago now and I'm exhausted by the wait.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Honestly I expect TWOW to be completely different and for the people that insist that D&D are following some guideline to finally shut the fuck up. If it ever comes out!
They're following the same guideline they did for the first 5 books, ignoring everything they don't want to film and changing it to what they do want to film.

I would also think this was the conscious decision, I'm sure the books will display a more significant change in his demeanor - always helps to have the internal monologue that the books provide in cases such as this
Will there be Jon PoV chapters in TWoW? I bet everything about him will be through other characters' PoV chapters and we won't get one from him in TWoW.

Rixxan

Will there be Jon PoV chapters in TWoW? I bet everything about him will be through other characters' PoV chapters and we won't get one from him in TWoW.

Good question, I've long since given up on following the progress of the book, so I'm not sure

Haven't even read a sample chapter

At this rate, the series will end (that is next year) before GRRM releases TWOW. And there's at least one more book after that one, so maybe 5 years from now?

KahooTs

At this rate, the series will end (that is next year) before GRRM releases TWOW. And there's at least one more book after that one, so maybe 5 years from now?
If he finishes it in two ASOS sized books, which he isn't sure he will. As long as it takes, can't get this anywhere else.

The theon chapter is fantastic also.

God damn I love stannis.

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Gigglepoo

I think it's also fair there were some excellent chapters within Feast/Dance as well. However to say that they were representative of the complete books would be false so a bit of cynicism around these preview chapters is to be expected. Especially as GRRM isn't likely to preview a load of plodding nothingness to get people excited.

I love Feast and Dragons so I hope Winds is closer to it than, say, Clash. Though I do expect more stuff to happen. Feast and Dragons were the calm after the War of the 5 Kings. Martin had to set the pieces for the coming wars.

Veitsev

Fuck leakers. Don't like feeling I need to watch some shitty rip because I fear being spoiled.

Youtube thumbnails are the worst.

I'm actually surprised GRRM hasn't put out his own ASoIaF cookbook.

There is an official one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0345534492/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The wife made its Beef and Bacon Pie for my work’s Game of Thrones potluck and I was the hero that day.

3AbIarY.jpg

i still think there's like 37.5% chance that "no" would be like saying stoneheart is not catelyn.

Cold Hands himself states he was killed a long time ago, ruling out him being Benjen.

I think Benjen may have been taken by the others as he is a Stark. Maybe the got pissed off at the lack of a stark in winterfell and march to place him back in there lol.

The others connection to the starks and winterfell (winter fell) is another topic im eager to read.

Damn it George. Brilliant but lazy.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Cold Hands himself states he was killed a long time ago, ruling out him being Benjen.

I think Benjen may have been taken by the others as he is a Stark. Maybe the got pissed off at the lack of a stark in winterfell and march to place him back in there lol.

The others connection to the starks and winterfell (winter fell) is another topic im eager to read.

Damn it George. Brilliant but lazy.

2 years is a pretty long time to be walking around after dying.

Neece

With me it's not even that I "prefer" the show, it's that the show is the only thing giving me content - and for that reason alone I don't understand the constant need to slam D&D - lol

"Fucking hacks"

I mean maybe but at least they are seeing this through, and had the interest in this world to bring it to life on HBO. I feel like the creator of this masterwork has long since lost his passion for it.

And don't get me wrong I'll forever be endebted to grrm for this incredible world. Also, ultimately he owes me absolutely nothing, it's his life and I'm not here to judge the man - but yeah, I've moved on because I started reading this almost 20 years ago now and I'm exhausted by the wait.

D&Ds writing is a vast drop off from GRRM and it has shown in the last few seasons but the only reason I do give them somewhat of the benefit of the doubt is they only have a few months to write a season, when it has taken George years to untwist himself out of plot knots, so that timing and motivation makes sense for everyone at every time.

Beyond that D&D also don't have a lot of wiggle room for big revisisions of their drafts. So if they spot a glaring plot hole after they've already planned the budget for their big set pieces and gotten to work on costumes, props, and location scouting, it might be too late to go back. Those scripts have to be done quickly so they give enough time for the prep of the production staff, so I think that reflects in the scripts feeling rushed and not as emphasized as the production.

The making of this show is a feat in itself, and while it clearly isn't the smart drama it started off as and criticism is fair game, I still try to adjust my expectations and enjoyment based the circumstances.

Arkeband

Banned
It'll be late in 2017 or early in 2018. Not a full year off just a bit later.

"Talking about season eight, Bloys hinted at some bad news for Game of Thrones fans. Asked whether the final episodes could air in 2018 or 2019, he replied: “Yeah. They [showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss] have to write the episodes and figure out the production schedule. We’ll have a better sense of that once they get further into the writing."

I thought the time off is where they'll debut the prequel/spinoff series.

Fear the Game of Thrones.

The theon chapter is fantastic also.

God damn I love stannis.

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Thank you for rekindling my Stannis fandom.

jett

D-Member
I can see Game of Thrones getting bumped to 2019 if Westworld's Season 2 gets scheduled to this time next year.

Gigglepoo

GRRM has 10 years
D&D has 10 weeks
different write scheduled

True. D&D also have a team of people working with them and a source to crib from. It's not like this is the only yearly show, either. There are plenty of excellent shows that keep their characters consistent and plot developments logical. I can only imagine what other showrunners think when they hear people say D&D didn't have time or the budget to make things click.

I can see Game of Thrones getting bumped to 2019 if Westworld's Season 2 gets scheduled to this time next year.

They should take as long as they need. I just want an excellent final session.

I'm confident in the spin off shows being of higher quality than the last few seasons of Thrones.

Depends on whether GRRM is involved or not. To be fair to D&D, translating GoT's convoluted world to a weekly one hour show has to be extremely hard, especially considering how many plots George has created over the years.

Top Bottom