• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

The theon chapter is fantastic also.

God damn I love stannis.

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."
The moment the show could never come back from right there. Ugh. Season 5 was a mistake.

Neece

True. D&D also have a team of people working with them and a source to crib from. It's not like this is the only yearly show, either. There are plenty of excellent shows that keep their characters consistent and plot developments logical. I can only imagine what other showrunners think when they hear people say D&D didn't have time or the budget to make things click.

They should take as long as they need. I just want an excellent final session.

There aren't many shows with the production schedule of Game of Thrones. I'm talking about filming in multiple countries, vast budget for costumes, props, and special effects that need months of planning and choreography - meaning the scripts have to be done months ahead of time.

They aren't afforded the luxury of $25 million reshoots like the Justice League team, or to write an entire script, realize it doesn't work, and then rewrite the whole thing like GRRM does. Their first draft, essentially, has to be their final draft, which isn't something most creators have to deal with, and certainly not with this many characters, plots, and film restrictions (such as, needing to film in winter for certain plots so having to plan out how many scenes you can film in winter vs stage).

Ideally, a production like GoT should have the schedule that big budget hollywood movies have, 2 years between star wars sequels for a 2 hour film, but instead they are given 10 months for six-ten hour epics that even George has trouble writing. And that rough draft needs to be good enough, without any rewrites, to give the production team enough time to do their thing.

I have no doubt that that since they went off book, HBO has has told D&D to just give them a decent script, and they'll elevate it with their music composers, actors, directors, costumes, and effects.

That doesn't excuse horrible writing choices they make as showrunners (and there are plenty to note), but as a creator myself, I recognize the position they are in in pushing the boundaries of what TV can accomplish, and that making a season of Game of Thrones isn't like making a season of Better Call Saul.

Unrelated - someone refresh my memory, was scouting as a concept more prevalent in the earlier seasons? The Tyrells, The Unsullied, Yara's fleet, etc all getting caught with their pants down seems sloppy.
No scouts barely exist in the GOT universe. Tywin/Jaime are caught off guard by Robb twice, Stannis never expects the reenforcements coming to aid Kings Landing and Ramsay never sees the Vale army marching against him.

Only mention of scouting is when Robb captures a minor member of the Lannisters counting men near his camp.

Well, looks like I can't go on youtube for tomorrow and sunday. Went on and saw a spoiler on my homepage recommended videos :/ like seriously wtf.

I'm fine with 2019 for season 8 if it's early, and I mean January/February early. Also please bring Miguel Sapochnik on for several episodes.

No scouts barely exist in the GOT universe. Tywin/Jaime are caught off guard by Robb twice, Stannis never expects the reenforcements coming to aid Kings Landing and Ramsay never sees the Vale army marching against him.

Only mention of scouting is when Robb captures a minor member of the Lannisters counting men near his camp.

More or less. I remember Jamie being pissed at Black Walder for his lack of outer defenses, because they were pretty much able to walk right up to their camp without any resistance.

jett

D-Member
This guy commenting about the realism of the castles in GoT is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luaRVN_tsKI

Unrelated - someone refresh my memory, was scouting as a concept more prevalent in the earlier seasons? The Tyrells, The Unsullied, Yara's fleet, etc all getting caught with their pants down seems sloppy.

I'll watch that video later, thanks.

I don't think this show has ever bothered itself with the logistics of warfare. I've been watching another medieval show, The Last Kingdom, and you actually in fact see people scouting and people sending in scouts for that matter. P.S. It's a good show.

****ATTENTION ALL THRONERS*****

Spoilers for the show are currently being posted all over the net. There are a ton in the non book thread here on GAF, Twitter, Facebook IG, and YOUTUBE. Be particularly careful on YOUTUBE. There are spoilers in the thumbnails under trending and recommendations.

If you don't want to be spoiled I suggest you leave the net and wait out the coming storm.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
There are spoilers on Gaf? Like they know they are going to get banned right? And Jesus people really have no empathy.

With me it's not even that I "prefer" the show, it's that the show is the only thing giving me content - and for that reason alone I don't understand the constant need to slam D&D - lol

"Fucking hacks"

I mean maybe but at least they are seeing this through, and had the interest in this world to bring it to life on HBO. I feel like the creator of this masterwork has long since lost his passion for it.

And don't get me wrong I'll forever be endebted to grrm for this incredible world. Also, ultimately he owes me absolutely nothing, it's his life and I'm not here to judge the man - but yeah, I've moved on because I started reading this almost 20 years ago now and I'm exhausted by the wait.
They literally translate the show decently well up until Season 3. Then they checked out. The quality drops off starting with Season 4, as you can tell by the subplots they make up. They wanted to show the Red Wedding and after that they didn't care. The reason they got the job in the first place was because they answered who Jon's mother was. Benioff may have been a legit fan of the first three novels, but didn't care for the plots afterwards, and considering how long it took to develop (the talks began in 2006), it's no wonder they don't care. They are like GRRM in that way. They are stuck with a decade-old project. However, at least GRRM still does quality writing.

Depends on whether GRRM is involved or not. To be fair to D&D, translating GoT's convoluted world to a weekly one hour show has to be extremely hard, especially considering how many plots George has created over the years.

It's really not that hard, they did the first three seasons just fine. They just don't care as much. In fact for fun I have been writing short outlines of changes they could have made throughout the show that would have made it better, including have Aegon still there. I'm not writing the screenplays, but that's not my problem. They have a board of writers to work from and it's their job to write quality work.

Forkball

Adkq9vi.jpg

Wow, it's like they don't pay attention to Cornballer's numerous (I assume considering how many we've had on this side not to mention other TV shows) warnings about posting leaked spoilers.

Tonky

If they want a weird ending to the series it'll need to be completely left-field, like the Land of Always Winter turns out to be Canada or something.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I will admit that I wouldn't be mad if they ended up with a cliché "there must always be a lich night king."

Too predictable though.
"There must always be a Stark in Winterfell." This is probably one of the more annoying uses of foreshadowing in the books/show. That and the Direwolves.

mantidor

I think those minor details were more prevalent, there are scenes earlier like taking down Ravens so that movements of armies are not notified, they didn't take more than 30 seconds but it helped with the world building, now to make sense of it you just think of everyone having jetpacks or something.

Does Davos know Melisandre killed Shireen? I'm re-watching Jon's death, and when Melisandre arrives at Castle Black, Davos asks for Shireen and only gets a look from Mel.

mantidor

Does Davos know Melisandre killed Shireen? I'm re-watching Jon's death, and when Melisandre arrives at Castle Black, Davos asks for Shireen and only gets a look from Mel.

This is unmarked spoilers, you should only come here after finishing both show and books :p

but yes, Davos faces her later when he figures it out, it's an important plot point of season 6

Yeah he knows. He found that little horse he carved for Shireen.

This is unmarked spoilers, you should only come here after finishing both show and books :p

but yes, Davos faces her later when he figures it out, it's an important plot point of season 6

I've read the books and watched the show, I just had forgotten about that detail. This made me remember the books still have Jon laying face down on the snow, in a puddle of blood. Goddamn George, it's been too long!

Burt

If they want a weird ending to the series it'll need to be completely left-field, like the Land of Always Winter turns out to be Canada or something.
"This just in: In a stunning twist, author George R.R. Martin reveals that his hit books and TV show 'Game of Thrones' are not derived from medieval England's War of the Roses, but the much lesser known 'War of the Amish' in central Pennsylvania, which took place in the two years leading up to the blizzard of '96."

szbs9jM.png

Apt101

The One and Done™;245431296 said:

Spoilers for the show are currently being posted all over the net. There are a ton in the non book thread here on GAF, Twitter, Facebook IG, and YOUTUBE. Be particularly careful on YOUTUBE. There are spoilers in the thumbnails under trending and recommendations.

If you don't want to be spoiled I suggest you leave the net and wait out the coming storm.

I hate people. Why must they do this?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The One and Done™;245431296 said:

Scope of the spoilers?

Spoilers for this week's episode?
Spoilers for the rest of the season's episodes?

Top Bottom