• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Speevy

Banned
Y'all are missing my point. There are certain anachronisms that add flavor to a work, but when you just throw in a cheap joke it detracts from it.

Faddy

Banned
Y'all are missing my point. There are certain anachronisms that add flavor to a work, but when you just throw in a cheap joke it detracts from it.

Go complain to George on his live journal. Dick jokes are an essential part of the books.

Burt

If you think the show would be better without Bronn laughing at the name Dickon

You're wrong

Besides, beyond the obvious (good) choice to not adhere to ye olde English in general, "you fucking idiot" was more out of place and justified itself less

Gigglepoo

Go complain to George on his live journal. Dick jokes are an essential part of the books.

Essential? The only reference I could find to dick meaning penis was in Dance when Yellow Dick is murdered at Winterfell and his dick was shoved in his mouth.

Faddy

Banned
Essential? The only reference I could find to dick meaning penis was in Dance when Yellow Dick is murdered at Winterfell and his dick was shoved in his mouth.

Nimble Dick was definitely named without even a thought about the humourous meaning... Just coincidence.

Gigglepoo

Nimble Dick was definitely named without even a thought about the humourous meaning... Just coincidence.

None of the characters laugh or reference the double meaning. It doesn't come up. Same with Dickon until last night.

There's a difference between something a reader might laugh at and something characters laugh at.

None of the characters laugh or reference the double meaning. It doesn't come up. Same with Dickon until last night.

There's a difference between something a reader might laugh at and something characters laugh at.
So you're cool with the thousand cock references, but dick is a bridge too far?

Speevy

Banned
It's funnier that D and D actually watched the masterful conversation between Jaime and Robert Baratheon in season 1 and wrote "People shit themselves when they die. They didn't teach you that at fancy lad school?"

It's like the epitome of this season's trip down memory lane.

This story changes every time someone else tells it.

The gold arrived safely through the gate. The Lannister forces however were put into an awkward position, having spread too thin.

So to hear the show tell it, that's why the force was significantly smaller than what you saw marching on Highgarden.

This serves two purposes. One, it makes for fewer soldiers for Dany to kill and saves some effects time. Two, it gives Cersei a Lannister army once they it to either strike back at or join Dany.
Randyll Tarly specifically told Jamie that the "tail" section of the army are responsible for gathering the food and made sure to move quickly just in case if the "head" section of the army is ambushed.

jett

D-Member
So why does everyone know that the big bad's name is The Night King.

When did he introduce himself, exactly.

Honestly I just find it funny how Jon namedrops him and everyone just instantly is supposed to know what the hell he's talking about.

Speevy

Banned

Honestly I just find it funny how Jon namedrops him and everyone just instantly is supposed to know what the hell he's talking about.

Send word to this "Night King". He must bend the knee or be branded an enemy of the crown.

NandoGip

Bend the knee thing is totally foreshadowing a marriage

Makes sense I guess, incest is a Targaryen tradition

If it does happen somehow before the show ends, I wonder if Jon will find out he's a Targ

Folklore?

Mr Git

Send word to this "Night King". He must bend the knee or be branded an enemy of the crown.

He could have called him anything getting naming rights in Westeros.
I would've gone for Shite King to hurt his icy feelings.

Turin

Banned

I guess they're playing it like the Night King is a well known legend as apposed to just some fringe folklore some Northerners know of.

Still wouldn't explain how Jon would know he specifically was the Night King. I don't even think GRRM gave him a physical description. We have some idea what his Queen looked like. Fair guess I suppose.

duckroll

Jon hasn't been furnished with "children of the forest" or any of this other knowledge.

He has. After their encounters with White Walkers, Sam went through all the books at the Wall. He learned about the Children of the Forest and dragonglass weapons. He told Stannis about it, so presumably Jon would have been detailed on it too.

Hey book-readers, was curious but was it ever explained why valyrian steel can kill WW?

I don't think there has ever been a WW encounter in the books where someone fights and kills one, much less with Valyrian steel. It's action added for the show so far.

Jon hasn't been furnished with "children of the forest" or any of this other knowledge.
To be fair, if you see paintings of small people and large people, right next to very detailed drawings of white walkers, somehow much more detailed than previous two peoples, you can tell it was the Children and First Men by context.

Hey book-readers, was curious but was it ever explained why valyrian steel can kill WW?

I'm pretty sure the books don't have any official confirmation that Valyrian steel kills walkers/others. Just a mention of it being a possibility, where as the show finally revealed that it's true. And based off the show it's probably 100% because it's steel made with dragon fire (Right?) so it's magical to a degree. Fire against Ice.

Top Bottom