• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

It was unguarded.

LOL

Presumably to meet up with the First Men to create weapons to fight the white walkers?

They could be all over the continent before First Men came. They got pushed back to the North because of First Men.

The first men came over the land bridge which was destroyed by the CoTF. I thought they mainly kept to forests, in particular weirwood forests (hence the name). Dragonstone doesn't look very green. The whole scene seemed a lazy way to convin Dany.

I guess you could make a case they were hunting for Dragon glass.

Ambient80

Dragon glass dagger.

Ah, that explains it then, I was getting the two confused.

So VS is way more highly regarded in the books than on the show, then. Cause on the show people sort of casually mention it but don’t seem to make a big deal of it. Even Arya was like “Oh cool I guess thx.”

duckroll

Afaik, the only White Walker killing ever is on the show and was Jon vs Nameless Other at Hardhome. Never happened in the books.

Sam killed a White Walker with a dragonglass dagger.

It wasn't a wight? Mind you, it's been centuries since I read that book.

Pretty sure Sam killed a wight, not a White Walker. And I think it was with a dragonglass dagger?

He was being carried by one of the brothers of the nights watch on the retreat from the fist.

They lag behind the rest and get set upon by a white walker. One of the brothers dies, Sam charges with a dragon glass dagger and the chapter ends there iirc. From subsequent chapters we know he killed a white walker.

Apt101

Pretty sure Sam killed a wight, not a White Walker. And I think it was with a dragonglass dagger?

It looked like a white walker. Emaciated and weak, but an Other nonetheless. Just speaking from a show perspective. I can't recall if it was a wight from the books either, been like four years since I read it.

Vyer

Been listening to binge mode podcast as they've done their rewatch. It's been very entertaining. So many great moments over the years that I had not thought of in quite a while. Also it's fun to listen to the hosts. Non bitter book loving fans who are taking great joy in seeing a version of the story on screen. A fun listen, even if Jason's voice can get a little grating at times lol. He does a great section going over related book history of events in the show. And he does a great George voice.

duckroll

He was being carried by one of the brothers of the nights watch on the retreat from the fist.

They lag behind the rest and get set upon by a white walker. One of the brothers dies, Sam charges with a dragon glass dagger and the chapter ends there iirc. From subsequent chapters we know he killed a white walker.

Man, I totally don't remember this. All along I remembered that he fought off a wight beyond the wall and killed it with dragonglass, and then they called him Sam the Slayer.

I'm talking about the book.

Afaik, the only White Walker killing ever is on the show and was Jon vs Nameless Other at Hardhome. Never happened in the books.
You are incorrect. Sam kills one with a dragon glass dagger, earning him the moniker of Slayer.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Samwell_Tarly
He escapes with a group of about fifty survivors led by Jeor Mormont. The march is hard on Sam and he is helped by his friends Grenn and Small Paul, but eventually they are separated from the majority of the men. Paul, who carries Sam for much of the journey, is attacked and killed by an Other, but the weight of his body disarms it as he dies. Samwell, who is carrying a dragonglass dagger that was among the cache found by Ghost, blindly stabs the Other, which dies instantaneously from the dragonglass blade. Killing the Other earns him the nickname "Sam the Slayer", although many say this mockingly as they do not believe his feat.[11]

Meera also kills a white walker with a spear in hold the door.

I really wish the appearance of the white walkers was more similar to the books. Mysterious but beautiful creatures of ice, Ice elves, as opposed to ice orcs.

Madness

Finally caught up and watched all eps. What horseshit is it that ep 4 had like 48 mins of runtime in a 7 episode season...

Meera also kills a white walker with a spear in hold the door.

I really wish the appearance of the white walkers was more similar to the books. Mysterious but beautiful creatures of ice, Ice elves, as opposed to ice orcs.
Agreed. The description in the books are so great. Iridescent armor and ice swords. Instead we get savages in loincloths that look like uruk hai rejects.

Man, I totally don't remember this. All along I remembered that he fought off a wight beyond the wall and killed it with dragonglass, and then they called him Sam the Slayer.

I'm talking about the book.

Yeah in the book! The show changed it to being Sam and Gilly. I read the books before season 5 and currently rereading the series as i feel it in my bones TWoW will release soon, so i still remember a fair whack.

Apt101

Did Tarly die? It kind of looked like him burning. It would be poetic, some great warrior dying like a whore on the new field of fire.

Turin

Banned
Sam did in fact kill a White Walker. The thing had a crystal sword and ghostly aura. Killed a Nights Watch brother with ease before Sam shanked it.

duckroll

I need to read the books again. But I'll do that when WoW is actually coming out. Which is to say, I don't need to read the books again. RIP.

Turin

Banned
if the books are forever tba, we'll have to make due to the ending of the show.

NypXz.gif

if the books are forever tba, we'll have to make due to the ending of the show.

If it came down to it, I think there's enough fan fiction in this thread that we could cobble something together.

Jon Snow waited. The torches above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were White Walkers in the castle. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Daenarys Targaryen were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Jon was a nights watch for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the wall and he said to dad ”I want to be on the walls daddy."
Dad said ”No! You will BE KILL BY WHITE WALKERS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the wall castle of the Nights Watch he knew there were white walkers.
”This is Dany" the raven(who was bran) crackered. ”You must fight the white walkers!"
So John gotted his wolf sword and blew up the wall.
”HE GOING TO KILL US" said the white walkers
”I will shoot at him" said the night king and he fired the ice missiles. John sworded at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
”No! I must kill the white walkers" he shouted
The raven said ”No, Jon. You are the white walkers"
And then Jon was a zombie.

jett

D-Member
I'd like one of these planned prequels to be set during The Long Night era. Or at least I'd like more information about it. Was the entire world overrun with Others, and not just Westeros? The World of Ice and Fire makes no mention of dragons during this time, I think, which would seem instrumental in their defeat. Speaking of, I don't really see how they can defeat the white walker army in the show with just three dragons to be honest. They don't have the children of the forest to help them either.

"Fewer"

Stannis correcting Jon from beyond the grave.

The CG composition in the battle sequence was occasionally awkward on the wide shots if you know where geographical features are in the real world and your brain is playing a game of 'that's from there, and that's from there, and oooh that's from...'. But other than that this episode was satisfying as hell. Particularly the 'saving private Lannister army' shots of burn wounds inside their helmets, those were a nice touch. The fight itself felt like they had it directed by Sapochnik though, with the crediting simply worked out on technicality. If that's not the case, then it's an impressive case of mimicking style.
Also, while I didn't think of it, I agree with a Reddit post saying Jamie was for a small shot straight up Saint George, which makes sense considering the character. But he already killed a (mad) dragon, it's doubtful he's going to get to kill another.

It felt like Bronn was having a 'fuck the queen' moment at the end, so I'm thinking Jamie's savior is actually Dickon. I don't see Jamie coming out of this 'alright' though. He's not going to stick around for another mad king, but now one with actual dragons, I'd think.

And yeah, the Dothtraki can actually fight, who would have thought? That statement of the blood guard or whatever those guys were called is going to bite them hard in the ass though, since they're obviously going full Reek when faced with someone raising the fucking dead. Imagine if Drogon bit it (a Maester from the Red Keep not using poison? Absurd. No, that mouthbreather is a goner), and then is immediately raised as an undead dragon.
I don't see those superstitious horsemen sticking around to see how that turns out.

unless it breathes ice, a dragon cannot be turned under the 'fire destroys the dead' rule though. Perhaps that was why the WW started moving in the first place: they figured the coast was clear and oh what is tha- *flames*

If it came down to it, I think there's enough fan fiction in this thread that we could cobble something together.
really?
image.php

i'm sorry man
They're different stories.
two different storylines? would GRRM really approve of a different ending? i don't think so. this is still a song of ice and fire
By the time the books eventually release everyone will consider the HBO ending canon.
Yeah they'll have to but to be fair, just from what i've heard, sometimes the books are not that good and sometimes the show does things better.

i still believe though that this show is genius because of GRRM but I really wonder how much of season 6/7/8 is them and not GRRM

So uh

The unsullied have no food and a greyjoy fleet at their door

How are they gonna survive at all and why didn't Dany use a dragon on euron's fleet first

Furthermore without any scouting parties and without dragons how did dany know exactly what road the lannister army would be on

Also can dragons not attack unless someone is riding them or what, why doesn't she ever use the other two beasties

How does she stay on the dragon without falling off when it tumbles

How did Jaime seemingly survive going underwater with a metal hand and strapped in plate armor

Why was Tyrion there

How did the dothraki manage to get on ships and get on land without attracting any attention and how did they do it fast enough to intercept the lannisters before they got back to KL, since it was a few days after the siege of highgarden that they even mobilized

Turin

Banned
Yeah they'll have to but to be fair, just from what i've heard, sometimes the books are not that good and sometimes the show does things better.

Certain characters that D&D had some affinity for are improved in the shows characterization. Cersei, Robert and the Hound are good examples of this. Bronn and Osha as well.

Possibly Ned Stark as well but I'd give Sean Bean most of the credit for that.

Gigglepoo

two different storylines? would GRRM really approve of a different ending? i don't think so. this is still a song of ice and fire

You're very adamant about something we know nothing about. Why do you assume two stories with different characters, themes, and plot beats in different mediums will have identical endings?

You're very adamant about something we know nothing about. Why do you assume two stories with different characters, themes, and plot beats in different mediums will have identical endings?
Yeah I'm not sure how you can say that when you haven't even read the books. It may be a similar ending chapter but there's completely different plot threads in the books that the show doesn't even have.

jett

D-Member
really?

image.php

i'm sorry man

i still believe though that this show is genius because of GRRM but I really wonder how much of season 6/7/8 is them and not GRRM

Almost none of the current season is GRRM, I can assure you that.

And GRRM doesn't approve anything at HBO. He has no say. D&D make all the decisions.

Burt

Jon Snow waited. The torches above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were White Walkers in the castle. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Daenarys Targaryen were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Jon was a nights watch for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the wall and he said to dad “I want to be on the walls daddy.”
Dad said “No! You will BE KILL BY WHITE WALKERS”
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the wall castle of the Nights Watch he knew there were white walkers.
“This is Dany” the raven(who was bran) crackered. “You must fight the white walkers!”
So John gotted his wolf sword and blew up the wall.
“HE GOING TO KILL US” said the white walkers
“I will shoot at him” said the night king and he fired the ice missiles. John sworded at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
“No! I must kill the white walkers” he shouted
The raven said “No, Jon. You are the white walkers"
And then Jon was a zombie.
mog1.gif

So uh

The unsullied have no food and a greyjoy fleet at their door

How are they gonna survive at all and why didn't Dany use a dragon on euron's fleet first

Furthermore without any scouting parties and without dragons how did dany know exactly what road the lannister army would be on

Also can dragons not attack unless someone is riding them or what, why doesn't she ever use the other two beasties

How does she stay on the dragon without falling off when it tumbles

How did Jaime seemingly survive going underwater with a metal hand and strapped in plate armor

Why was Tyrion there

How did the dothraki manage to get on ships and get on land without attracting any attention and how did they do it fast enough to intercept the lannisters before they got back to KL, since it was a few days after the siege of highgarden that they even mobilized

1) The Unsullied will have to go east to regroup with Dany. They'll be able to find food.
2) Because we need to prop Cersei up.
3) The road from Highgarden to King's Landing is a single road.
4) Budget
5) Strong grip
6) Probably exagerated for cliffhanger. He's probably fished out right away.
7) Because Dany said off screen "Let's go burn some Lannister's" and Tyiron wanted to be there for obvious reasons.
8) Highgarden to King's Landing is FAR. It's bullshit that Euron got to Casterly Rock so fast, not that Dany intercepted Lannister's outside KL.

Top Bottom