• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Book readers.

Why is the Iron Bank Feared?

Do they have a huge army that they can attack anyone who doesnt pay?? And if so why dont they conquer lands?
They're rich. Fuck with them and they'll hire/fund armies/mercenaries to take you out.

Hazmat

Book readers.

Why is the Iron Bank Feared?

Do they have a huge army that they can attack anyone who doesnt pay?? And if so why dont they conquer lands?

If you don't pay they either hire mercenaries to defeat you or they straight-up fund your enemies. They don't care about land, they have money.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Why dont they conquer people then?

Why would they? Their primary (only) concern is profit and financial gain. Ruling conquered lands is expensive and risky.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Am I mis-remembering or is it implied that the Iron Bank have ties to the Faceless Men (by virtue of both being Braavosi if nothing else)?

Iksenpets

Banned
Am I mis-remembering or is it implied that the Iron Bank have ties to the Faceless Men (by virtue of both being Braavosi if nothing else)?

I'm sure at the very least they've made use of the Faceless Men's services to deal with people who won't pay their debts before.

frontovik

Banned
Dickon actually.

Anyways, it was Bronn. I took a look at the scene again, and the silhouette definitely matches him.. *the figure's plate mail pauldrons weren't visible, and his leather gloves matches Bronn's*

hemo memo

Dickon actually.

Anyways, it was Bronn. I took a look at the scene again, and the silhouette definitely matches him.. *the figure's plate mail pauldrons weren't visible*

He’s Bronn definitely. But how Jamie not drown with that heavy shield is something I want to see next episode.

He’s Bronn definitely. But how Jamie not drown with that heavy shield is something I want to see next episode.
He is still conscious. And Bronn is in the water also. So they just got to get the armor off quickly and swim up. In real life that would be a bit hard I guess, but this is tv.

The Iron Bank being involved with slavery seems odd to me. Aren't they far, far away from slavers bay? They were also founded by runaway slaves.

With regards to them being feared, I believe they have ties with the faceless men. Show faceless men seem to be a non-factor, they're pretty cool people though.

I think that last episode deserves its own thread in itself.

A title something vague, like "best single episode of a TV series"

Honestly, I cannot think of anything better but I've been invested in the show and the books so I have bias… Even still, the spectacle was so amazing and technically well done, even a non-viewer should be able to appreciate it. This rivals the "not penny's boat", but its so much better.

Someone make the thread, I won't, I don't have the pull and am probably ignored (seems like it)

People who haven't invested themselves in GoT yet are in for a treat of binge watching, I wish I could watch the show from beginning to end within a few weeks rather than like 6 years.

I'm sure there was poison in those spears... Qyburn, that clever little man...
Kill poison? Greyscale for dragons? Mind controlling potion? or maybe just fatal damage for Drogon.
I hope the writters don't fuck this up, is will an anazing turn of events.
Qyburn is the most powerful character in this show.
Brought back almost dead Gregor as braindead zombie just as powerful or possibly even more, committed the biggest terrorist act in the entire show, and his R&D created an anti-dragon missile and now in process of mass producing them.

This guy is pushing meta like none other.

Honestly, I cannot think of anything better but I've been invested in the show and the books so I have bias… Even still, the spectacle was so amazing and technically well done, even a non-viewer should be able to appreciate it. This rivals the "not penny's boat", but its so much better.

Someone make the thread, I won't, I don't have the pull and am probably ignored (seems like it)

People who haven't invested themselves in GoT yet are in for a treat of binge watching, I wish I could watch the show from beginning to end within a few weeks rather than like 6 years.

From Game of Thrones itself there were better episodes in the first few seasons, Hardhome, the season finale of season 6 etc. The first half of last nights episode was a bit naff, lets be honest. Super convenient cave convincing Dany of the white walkers, Arya bullshit, littlefinger continuing to be an idiot.

From other series there are multiple GOAT tier episodes in Person of Interest, the last 3 episodes of Breaking Bad. People need to chill with the hyperbole.

When talking about the 'best ever' whatever we need to wait a while to see how the episode holds up in the context of the show and on repeat viewings.

Lol

Hjod

Banned
Dickon played Billy in Black Sails right?

I wonder how long he gets to keep his shirt on in GOT, that dude is insanely ripped.

Dickon played Billy in Black Sails right?

I wonder how long he gets to keep his shirt on in GOT, that dude is insanely ripped.
I don't want to ever see him not in that armor.

7.jpg

The Iron Bank being involved with slavery seems odd to me. Aren't they far, far away from slavers bay? They were also founded by runaway slaves.

With regards to them being feared, I believe they have ties with the faceless men. Show faceless men seem to be a non-factor, they're pretty cool people though.
I took it a little differently. The iron bank invests in all kinds of industries... Some of those industries thrive thanks to slave labor. If slavery is abolished any industry that relies on that labor pool is gonna take a huge hit.

No, it's a testament to GRRM's procrastination.

There's no reason to have this thread now, the story has moved past the books and now the other thread has all of the posters in this thread as well as all the posters that just post there. Instead of the other thread previously being a minefield for book readers in fear of spoiling something and thus a thread to avoid.

The level at which the show has surpassed the books (narrative wise) is staggering, and like you said a testament to his procrastination. Especially when you consider he basically had a 4-5 book lead when the show started. This is a fuck up of colossal magnitude and I have zero sympathy for him. Recognizing your limits, flaws, etc is essential to being a professional adult. Martin is a slow writer, but the bigger issue has always been his time management. He cut down his traveling and instead stacked his schedule with various side projects that ate up his time just as much, if not more, than the traveling. And here we are, with no end in sight.

Even worse when you consider at least 250 MS pages of Winds were moved from Dance, meaning he'll have less pages to truly advance the plot where it needs to be. I have zero hope.

It has been theorized by fans for years and hinted here and there. TWOIAF, for instance, makes reference to rumors that the Iron Bank sends "assassins" after debtors in cannot depose or otherwise topple. This likely refers to Faceless Men.

I imagine the gold being rushed to King's Landing for the exact reason that they didn't want to run into an ambush or have it on the open road for too long.
Randyl does mention the scare of an ambush, but I expected that the gold would not make it bad to King's Landing. Since it didn't, Cersei has little to be upset about.

She could care less if a number of her men are burned alive as long as she has what she wants and needs.

Salvadora

I'd be supportive of combining the threads.

Little reason to have parallel communities given where we stand with the books & show.

Very much feel that even discussion of the books has been exhausted in the six years following ADWD.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What happens if TWoW releases before next season?

Stop laughing.

Absolutely nothing. HBO is probably in the final stages of pre-production for the next season right now.

And even if they could change some stuff up based on the sixth book, they probably wouldn't be able to given the huge amount of divergences that happened in the past three seasons.

Seen some comments around the internet saying this battle was the best fantasy battle ever put on screen, even better than Pelennor Fields.

Now while I love GOT, some people need to calm down lmao. Nothing tops the charge of the Rohirrim.

Iksenpets

Banned
What happens if TWoW releases before next season?

Stop laughing.

Winds probably needed to release during season 4 to really impact the story in a significant way. Now even if it got finished this year they probably wouldn't even read it before writing is done on season 8. Even if he had finished it a year or two ago, the most you really would've seen was some imagery or dialog pulled from it and used for completely different scenes, same as they've pulled some bits from sample chapters here and there.

Seen some comments around the internet saying this battle was the best fantasy battle ever put on screen, even better than Pelennor Fields.

Now while I love GOT, some people need to calm down lmao. Nothing tops the charge of the Rohirrim.

You speak the truth.

Should Martin ever finish the books I'm sure he'll deliver a series for the ages, despite the meanderings of AFFC and ADWDs. Though people are cautious about TWoW (rightly so), even given the excellent preview chapters, I feel he'll deliver something amazing.

Sadly it won't be adapted for the big screen.

I mean, even in Lord of the Rings, Helm's Deep is generally much better filmed than Pelennor Fields - the film does a good job of laying out the geography of the place and why it matters, such that the viewer can always tell what's happening and why. Pelennor Fields was suitably epic but really just consisted of each side having tide-turning reinforcements show up without nearly as much communication of strategy to the viewer.

mantidor

I don't know, on one side yes I agree with you, on the other, fire breathing dragons, man.

But being more serious the only edge GoT has is that the battles are more even and people are divided into who to root for, LoTR is very simple in it's good vs evil, but in all other aspects LoTR wins.

Rewatching the final scene, why doesn't Jaime throw the spear at Dany? He does that, Dany's dead, war over.

Dat plot armor.

Jamie's or Dany's? :p

Jaime was three times in the line of dragon fire, he should be ashes, I get surviving one but three?

I like that this CGI battle was over some wagons filled with gold, in the middle of nowhere, no one of significance died and nothing of significance happened. But other than that, it had a really COOL CGI DRAGON GAME OF THRONES IS THE BEST SHOW EVER I CANT WAIT FOR NEXT WEEK WAIT WHAT WHATS THAT SHINY THING OVER THERE

it's uh, not even the best episode of the series

Top Bottom