• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Gigglepoo

Stannis protected the realm (from wildings) to earn the respect of the Westerosi.

Dany wants respect before she'll protect the realm (from White Walkers).

If be 100% ok with sansa, bronn, theon or littlefinger winning the iron throne at the end.

I hope we get some more unexpected twists.

to me Hardhome is still the best episode. I think the fact that it was such a lone bright spot in an otherwise meh season helps elevate it.
3.9 , 5.8 , 6.9 , and 6.10 are all better for me. This ranks probably as the 5th best, dropping 1.9 out of contention. 2.9 I've always found overrated from general reception here on gaf. Great character piece with awesome dialogue, but the set pieces and the way the battle unfolded looks like childs play compared to many other set pieces.

jfkgoblue

Hey guys, I realize this thread is primarily for GOT book fans who like to hatewatch the show, but I wanted to ask... are the books worth reading as a show fan? It's my favorite series ever (yes, I like it more than The Wire and Breaking Bad), and I'd love to experience more of it in another form, but... are there a lot of differences between the show and the books? Do a lot of things happen differently? I know there's a stone lady or something, but anything beyond that? Would it be different enough that it wouldn't feel like I was "going through the motions", so to speak?
After the first book they are far different, the show meets most of the major plot points during the first 3 books, but is still pretty different.(I.E. Talisa Stark is a show creation). Once you hit book 4 and 5 they might as well be different stories.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Stannis protected the realm (from wildings) to earn the respect of the Westerosi.

Dany wants respect before she'll protect the realm (from White Walkers).
We can only hope Davos gives her the cart before the horse speech.

Anyone got any good JonxDany memes?

Ezlx7KD.jpg

3.9 , 5.8 , 6.9 , and 6.10 are all better for me. This ranks probably as the 5th best, dropping 1.9 out of contention. 2.9 I've always found overrated from general reception here on gaf. Great character piece with awesome dialogue, but the set pieces and the way the battle unfolded looks like childs play compared to many other set pieces.
...5.8 is hardhome

If be 100% ok with sansa, bronn, theon or littlefinger winning the iron throne at the end.

I hope we get some more unexpected twists.

Bron ultimately winning the Iron Throne, or at least sitting on it, is totally something George would do. Bron is still getting too much book time to be gone forever. He's totally intersecting with another POV, even if it isn't Jamie.

Gigglepoo

So they obviously Chekhov's gunned the hell out of that dagger. Who is Arya's gonna kill with it ?

It's pretty obviously going to be Littlefinger. Why did he give Bran that dagger anyway? Even in its best episodes, D&D can't help but throw stupid shit in.

J2 Cool

Having just watched the entire series over thanksgiving to xmas: I think from Tyrions trial, Oberyn/Mountain, through finale of Tyrion killing Tywin was my favorite stretch. With either "The Mountain and the Viper" or "The Children" being my favorite episode. Followed by 1.9, 3.9, and 6.9 in no order.

Series has had some amazing episodes, with these last two being terrific. Not sure there's ever been an episode this good in the middle of a season though.

jett

D-Member
So they obviously Chekhov's gunned the hell out of that dagger. Who is Arya's gonna kill with it ?

Littlefinger is getting got.

Real question is whose face will Arya wear when she does it.

It's pretty obviously going to be Littlefinger. Why did he give Bran that dagger anyway? Even in its best episodes, D&D can't help but throw stupid shit in.

So that Arya could have a weapon made of Valyrian steel.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Littlefinger is getting got.

Real question is whose face will Arya wear when she does it.
Get LF drugged/drunk then Arya shows up as Cat. She gives a whole speech about love and her only ever loving one man, her husband Ned. She then kills him.

That or the Sansa one I posted before.

I always assumed Sansa, Lady Stoneheart, or Nymeria and her wolfpack would do it. All of those would be superior options IMO.

Having just watched the entire series over thanksgiving to xmas: I think from Tyrions trial, Oberyn/Mountain, through finale of Tyrion killing Tywin was my favorite stretch. With either "The Mountain and the Viper" or "The Children" being my favorite episode. Followed by 1.9, 3.9, and 6.9 in no order.

Series has had some amazing episodes, with these last two being terrific. Not sure there's ever been an episode this good in the middle of a season though.

Agree with the final stretch of season 4 being the high point of the show. It was never really reached again, from a narrative point of view at least. There has been some fantastical spectacle to make up for it though!

Iksenpets

Banned
That doesn't answer why Littlefinger gave it to Bran. Arya could have taken it from his dead body after she Needled him. Just sloppy writing.

Best explanation I can think of for this is LF just wanted to put Bran on edge by reminding him that someone wanted him dead, in hopes that would lead to Bran doing something, eventually.

Iksenpets

Banned
God, late seasons Littlefinger really is awful.

He's really a completely vestigial character at this point. I don't know what the intended end game for LF is, but whatever it is, it must be something that's just not possible in the show plot anymore, because he's role at this point is pretty much to stand and mustache twirl and growl out the occasional line of aphoristic dialogue.

Said it before and I'll say it again: LF has always been terrible on the show. He's never been subtle or convincing in the least. Like he says 2 words in the whispery conspiracy voice and you know he's shady as fuck. He's the last person you'd expect to be able to pull off a long con, a 5-year old could see through him.

Why does no one seem to get that characters like him are out of their element now? Seriously, the game has been played out and winter has come. The dead give no shits and Littlefinger's schemes have come to naught.

Seriously, what's his plan?

Turn the Stark kids against one another? - Not happening

Manipulate the north/vale? They all don't trust him so good luck.

Betray them at a crtical moment? To what end?

It seems his only motivation now is to bang Sansa, and Arya will kill him long before then.

Game of Thrones has been building up to the fact that all the politics and squabbling mean exactly nothing now that the true threat has emerged.

Because chaos is a ladder, and that knife was meant to kill a Stark. It's probably still going to, if it were up to GRRM.

buuuut I'm going to guess she will aim for the Hound and it will hit Bondarion (or whatever his name is) instead and not be able to be brought back or something. They've been referencing Jon's heart, but he and that guy have the same 'brought back' thing going on, and the BwB is moving north, so they will likely meet soon.

edit: it was really nice to see Bran turn seven season full-circle by that one line of LF's though. Going from kid climbing a tower to full player (if cripple) is something.

Gigglepoo

Game of Thrones has been building up to the fact that all the politics and squabbling mean exactly nothing now that the true threat has emerged.

There still are a lot of politics and squabbling, though. WW are still beyond the Wall, just like in S1E1, and most characters are still fighting for the Iron Throne. Even Jon and Sansa are still arguing about political matters.

Moff

As I wrote earlier, writing Littlefinger is something that simply is too much for D&D to handle. It takes smart planning, set up and creativity to get into his mind and GRRM obviously didn't tell them anything about it, likely because he hasn't even done it himself, yet, when he told them the broad strokes.
My best guess would be that he really tried to be nice by giving Bran the weapon that was supposed to kill him. It probably made sense when he heard Bran told Sansa how beautiful she looked when she was raped.

ZOONAMI

That doesn't answer why Littlefinger gave it to Bran. Arya could have taken it from his dead body after she Needled him. Just sloppy writing.

No, it was the weapon used in attempt on killing bran, so lf gave it to him because why not, who else should have it, and then to have the bran ladder one liner that oh shits littlefinger.

Moff

Why do people keep LF around at this point?

I'd say he still has 1 big thing to do GRRM told them about, they just don't know how to get there.
He got all of this into motion, there must be some kind of payoff for that. Him just dying now would be wrong.

I'd say he still has 1 big thing to do GRRM told them about, they just don't know how to get there.
He got all of this into motion, there must be some kind of payoff for that. Him just dying now would be wrong.

Didn't stop them from killing off Selmy for no reason though so I wouldn't rule it out just yet

Moff

Didn't stop them from killing off Selmy for no reason though so I wouldn't rule it out just yet

I don't see Barristan anywhere near Littlefinger when it comes to important characters of this Saga. LF is just a side character, but he made a lot happen behind the curtains.

Gattsu25

Banned
Certain characters that D&D had some affinity for are improved in the shows characterization. Cersei, Robert and the Hound are good examples of this. Bronn and Osha as well.

Possibly Ned Stark as well but I'd give Sean Bean most of the credit for that.

Sansa is an actual character now.

danm999

Show Littlefinger seems to run completely contrary to Book Littlefinger's amiable little joker facade that lets him get away with murder.

Book Littlefinger is not standing around the throne room giving speeches about how beautiful chaos is.

My hope which is probably batshit insane, but I'm holding out hope because the end game is the north + dany against Cersei + WW. LF plays no part in this. LF will die in the last or 2nd to last episode with Sansa cornering him some how. She'll lure him in and spring the trap.

Top Bottom