• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Rhaegar dissolved his marriage with Elia Martell and maried Lyanna, making Jon the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne.

oh yeah, that is pretty big

This Winterfell plot can't be real.

I just can't.

Guys please tell me its an elaborate joke.... please....

from the people who thought that having littlefinger marry off his most valuable asset to be raped by a psychopath was beautiful poetry

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I feel like Berric is going to die just to up the tension. The lord of light has no power here. But then we'll never find out why he kept getting resurrected in the first place.

Also, how did Gendry get Robert's hammer?
It's not Robert's hammer, he made it himself. He chose a hammer in effort to feel closer to his father.

dsp

I feel like Berric is going to die just to up the tension. The lord of light has no power here. But then we'll never find out why he kept getting resurrected in the first place.

Also, how did Gendry get Robert's hammer?

I assume he forged his own hammer, being a blacksmith and all that jazz. Also, I have a lot of issues with this episode, but I like that Gendry, without question, was ready to go fight some shit. He truly is his father's son.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wait, what was the revelation about Jon this episode? That he isn't Ned's bastard? Didn't we have that confirmed last season with Bran's flashbacks?

Gilly: "Huh, fascinating, this historical account I've been reading indicates that the Maester who authored it performed an annulment of someone named Rhaegar's marriage, in secret, so that he could legally wed this Ly--"

Samwell: "SHUT UP, YOU DUMB WHORE. I HATE SCHOOL AND I HATE BOOKS. WE'RE LEAVING."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wait, what was the revelation about Jon this episode? That he isn't Ned's bastard? Didn't we have that confirmed last season with Bran's flashbacks?
That Rhaegar and Lyanna were married.

Also, can someone explain to me what purpose each member of the Eastwatch Squad has in heading out beyond the Wall? It really did seem like a contrived way to mash em all together for some crazy adventure.
The three stooges saw it in the flames they were meant to go north of the wall.
Gendry is dumb.
Tormund knows the north better than all of them!
Jon is dumb.
Jorah is dumb.

Magnus

The revelation is that he's not a Targaryen Bastard but a legitimate Targaryen. Here's why the Suicide Squad is going out there:

Jon: to convince Cersei
Jorah: for Dany
Tormund: to help Jon
Gendry: because the plot said he should
Hound: lord of light
Thoros: lord of light
Beric: lord of light

The father was pretty much confirmed, because who else would have fucked Lyanna. This just confirms he's legitimate and not a bastard.

Thank you!

Yes, I figured it was generally confirmed that Rhaegar was the father. What I didn't put together was that the annulment and re-marriage makes Jon trueborn, for whatever that's fucking worth at this point.

And thanks for reminding me of everyone's purpose. But why is the Hound giving a shit about the Lord of Light right now again? I can't remember why he took up with the Brotherhood at all.

edit- Oh, right, he saw shit in the flames.

God damn, I'm forgetting a lot from week to week.

Burt

Bringing back a wight to appease Cersei as if she gives a shit is probably the most absurd thing this show has ever done.

Gilly: "Huh, fascinating, this historical account I've been reading indicates that the Maester who authored it performed an annulment of someone named Rhaegar's marriage, in secret, so that he could legally wed this Ly--"

Samwell: "SHUT UP, YOU DUMB WHORE. I HATE SCHOOL AND I HATE BOOKS. WE'RE LEAVING."

Samwell made me swoon. Such a bad bad Maester.

He cures terminal diseases like it's eating porridge. He follows no rules.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

That he's not a bastard. We knew he was Rhaegar's son, but now we know he married Lyanna, making Jon legitimate.

Means Dany needs to bend the fucking knee.

The revelation is that he's not a Targaryen Bastard but a legitimate Targaryen. Here's why the Suicide Squad is going out there:

yeah, i know it is sort of contrived as shit, but i fucking need this team-up goddamnit

TTG

I assume he forged his own hammer, being a blacksmith and all that jazz. Also, I have a lot of issues with this episode, but I like that Gendry, without question, was ready to go fight some shit. He truly is his father's son.

I like Gendry too, Daavos was all we gotta talk about this and he cut him off right there like don't you think this episode is slow enough? Let's go. Then he turned that one idiot's face into hamburger, it's just nice to have a Baratheon in the game again.

jett

D-Member

Gendry: because fans

fixed

The Gendry stuff is potentially the fanboyest bit of fanboyism I've seen in a TV show. This character doesn't matter on any level whatsoever. Zero reason to bring him back, and to have him fight against the White Walkers in a leadership position no less. All the others are legit warriors. Gendry gave Arya the hots once. It's such shameless pandering to the fans it's hard to believe.

Then again this is the same episode that dug up a miniscule plot element from the first season to manufacture drama in Winterfell. I would've preferred Arya to go with the Seven Bastards. Would be more useful than Gendry.

Beric: lord of light .

Ghost: ....

TTG

Samwell: "SHUT UP, YOU DUMB WHORE NERD. I HATE endless circular discussions about lineage and prophecy AND I HATE people studying and quoting BOOKS that are mostly popcorn entertainment as if they were scrupture. WE'RE LEAVING."

The perfect scene, it was great.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
fixed

The Gendry stuff is potentially the fanboyest bit of fanboyism I've seen in a TV show. This character doesn't matter on any level whatsoever. Zero reason to bring him back, and to have him fight against the White Walkers in a leadership position no less. All the others are legit warriors. Gendry gave Arya the hots once. It's such shameless pandering to the fans it's hard to believe.

Then again this is the same episode that dug up a miniscule plot element from the first season to manufacture drama in Winterfell. I would've preferred Arya to go with the Seven Bastards. Would be more useful than Gendry.

Instead of Gendry it should have been Dragonslayer Bronn.
got-704-bronn-takes-down-a-dragon.png

Tuck

I like how Sam's plotline amounted to absolutely nothing.

Bringing back a wight to appease Cersei as if she gives a shit is probably the most absurd thing this show has ever done.

Didn't Mormont send an undead hand to Kings Landing and no one gave a shit?

Though i guess this time Jamie will ensure it gets to Cersei's eyes.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bringing a Zombie will surely change things no? Maybe not for her, but I'm pretty sure Jaime will start seeing things in different light, if he isnt already with the dragons.

erawsd

if they just talked it out like reasonable, believable human beings. it shouldn't have to be a thing at all

or, as someone else said, bran should set them straight if he could get his head out of the leaves

Eh, given Arya's development over the series I'm not sure having a heart to heart sit down with someone you perceive as a threat is something she'd do.

Meanwhile, Bran is "not Bran", he appears to be extremely cold and uncaring about anyone/anything that isn't the Night King at this point.

Tuck

well he planted a seed in the masters' head and stole some scroll key items

He also saved Jorah, I guess.

But that plotline was a giant nothing too. All it did was send Jorah away for a few episodes and... thats it.

Like, it didn't matter at all.

Unless Sam fucked up and Danny is going to die of greyscale now.

I thought the episode was good. Not amazing like last week, but good. I see the flaws people are mentioning that it feels rushed. But at this point we could wrap up the story in another hour if D&D wanted, and follow feature film pacing.

The story has been set up for 6 seasons now. Not all threads need to be resolved. I have doubted the show before after a slow start or an episode that dives in quality. Every time the show has proved me wrong. The pacing is deliberate and I'm expecting spectacular 2 last episodes for this season.

Eh, given Arya's development over the series I'm not sure having a heart to heart sit down with someone you perceive as a threat is something she'd do.

Meanwhile, Bran is "not Bran", he appears to be extremely cold and uncaring about anyone/anything that isn't the Night King at this point.

Chaos is a ladder says otherwise. Bran, as the actor has said in some interviews, is basically living in 4D, moving through time as if it was a physical dimension. He's living everywhere, and seeing everything.

Hazmat

They made Arya pretty unlikeable pretty quickly.

"Problem. Arya murder?"
"No, Arya, you can't just fix everything with murder."
"Arya not understand."

Tuck

Chaos is a ladder says otherwise. Bran, as the actor has said in some interviews, is basically living in 4D, moving through time as if it was a physical dimension. He's living everywhere, and seeing everything.

He has Bran's memories. But the Bran he was before is, unfortunately, gone.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Didn't Mormont send an undead hand to Kings Landing and no one gave a shit?

Though i guess this time Jamie will ensure it gets to Cersei's eyes.
It's not that nobody gave a shit, it's that it was delivered by Alliser Thorne and Tyrion didn't like him at all so he made him wait (weeks? I can't remember) before even meeting with him. By that time there was almost nothing left of the hand.

Tuck

It's not that nobody gave a shit, it's that it was delivered by Alliser Thorne and Tyrion didn't like him at all so he made him wait (weeks? I can't remember) before even meeting with him. By that time there was almost nothing left of the hand.

Thats pretty ironic then.

They knew dany and jon were going to bang at the beginning, why else would they cast two super short people, kit and emilia are so out of place in terms of height. With maisy and sophy they couldnt know cause they were too young
Also jon needs to die as soon as dany is pregos with the stallion who mounts the world, im sick of his stupid plot armour.

Instead of Gendry it should have been Dragonslayer Bronn.

No, fuck that, even worse. The meeting should have ended with a pan out showing a Raven watching, then a cut back to Bran sending Brienne and Pod to Eastwatch, or them just revealed when Jon arrived. She has Valyrian steel for fucks sake, definitely more useful than Gendry or Bron.

Zabka

He also saved Jorah, I guess.

But that plotline was a giant nothing too. All it did was send Jorah away for a few episodes and... thats it.

Like, it didn't matter at all.

Unless Sam fucked up and Danny is going to die of greyscale now.

Sam discovered the dragonglass deposit on Dragonstone that Jon abandoned Winterfell to get.

Neece

I like how Sam's plotline amounted to absolutely nothing.

Nothing? Eh. In the 8 or so episodes that Sam got to the reach he

1. He found proof that Jon is a legitimate Targ. A megaton.
2. Got a Valerian steel sword that he is bringing back to the north. Someone is going to wield it.
3. Cured Jorah, who will do something.

Edit: 4th, and the dragonglass pit that convinced Jon to head to Dragonstone.

That's pretty efficient when you consider Sam made it to his fathers place in the middle of season 6.

jfkgoblue

Anyone else notice how Eastwatch had a much more impressive castle than castle black and how there wasn't any NW there despite there supposedly being almost 200 there.

So how does Dany and Drogon not see Bronn drag/swim Jaime down the river?

I mean, it's just stupid, right? The first 5 minutes just seemed like something a kid would say to another kid, why their character wasn't killed, when playing something like cowboys and Indians or cops and burglars.

Gigglepoo

"Like many of these situations on the show, the one to figure it out it's Tyrion."

Quote from D or D post episode. Tyrion? The guy who is so wrong Dany accused him of throwing the war? These guys don't even watch their own show!

18-Volt

Yeah, I can see now, when the things are settled, Daenerys, or whoever supposed to be leader of the Seven Kingdoms (there is still a chance that Dany could die) will appoint Gendry as lord of Storm's End and Samwell as lord of Highgarden. I wonder who will get other Banner houses, Riverrun, Vale and Dorne are still lord-less.

In book, probably Aegon will be the King and of the Seven Kingdoms, Jon will be Lord of the North and land beyond the Wall, Edmure will have Riverrun, Arianne will have Dorne, Theon will have Iron Islands, Samwell will have Highgarden. I'm still not sure about Stormlands and Vale. Seaworths could be a good candidate for Stormlands for books, but there is no better candidate for Vale than Sansa.

Top Bottom