• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Apt101

Damn I am so late. Only halfway through the ep now. A few thoughts:

- Jamie seems to be coming around and realizing Cersei is wicked, and just as bad a ruler as Joffrey ever was. Maybe he'll do something out of character to change my mind, half an episode left

- Dany should not have burned the Tarly's. Her first major mistake. It was so stupid. People are going to hear about it, obviously they have, and it could be something that costs her later. Here is Daenerys Storm Born - just as mad and cruel as her father. Burned the Tarly's like the Mad King burned the Starks. Poetic in a way, but sheesh

- Jon Snow made a kingly decision that will lead to doom for anyone following him. What a preposterous plan.

- It's weird that J-Bear and Snow seem to be romantic rivals. Like, what? Fuck it - show-only viewers are probably eating it up

Everyone except Sam. 😔

well he gave that scroll to the baby right?

so he could have brought it along when he left the citadel

on the other hand, that knowledge would have been more useful and trustworthy coming from the citadel

That was a great line. Maybe a little meta, but now that they assembled the Westeros Avengers it's best just to enjoy the ride with that plotline.

can't wait to see what tumblr comes up with

or soulfucker

Mrbob

Everyone except Sam. 😔
The show likes to tease and yeah Sam's reaction was too dumb. He took books with him so he will probably read it again in the future and some light bulb goes off. I didn't like how that scene was handled. Sam went super dense for no reason.

I'm glad the show is finishing up but I'll still read the books because I gave a feeling it will handle every scenario much better.

I really wish we got to see Bronn and Tyrion talk, but I'm sure their reunion will be great in-book.
Especially when Tyrion finds out that Bronn named his "son" (really Lolly's child of rape, not that the rape part matters to me but it's clearly intentional in relation to Bronns naming of him/humor/type of person Bronn is) Tyrion.

Neece

I guess I should have always felt this way, but actually hearing that Rhaegar dissolved his marriage really makes him and Lyanna look really shitty. There is no joy in that "love" story.

In a world where the Targs would have won, would the marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar mean that Aegon and Rhaenys were disinherited? After Elia nearly died giving birth to the little prince?

The show likes to tease and yeah Sam's reaction was too dumb. He took books with him so he will probably read it again in the future and some light bulb goes off. I didn't like how that scene was handled. Sam went super dense for no reason.

I'm glad the show is finishing up but I'll still read the books because I gave a feeling it will handle every scenario much better.
Sam will be having Hogwarts adventures with Jaqen, Alleras, and Leo Tyrell at Oldtown in the books.

Dysun

Season 7 is striking the right chord for fanservice in the best way possible. At this point the show + books are completely divorced and I'm able to enjoy the ride. Very happy with how it turned out in the end, I remember hating Season 5 with a passion.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I guess I should have always felt this way, but actually hearing that Rhaegar dissolved his marriage really makes him and Lyanna look really shitty. There is no joy in that "love" story.

In a world where the Targs would have won, would the marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar mean that Aegon and Rhaenys were disinherited? After Elia nearly died giving birth to the little prince?

Rhaegar was prophecy obsessed, which usually doesn't lead ASOIAF characters down virtuous paths.

KahooTs

It's hilarious how book Gendry is a follower of Rhollor and a member of the Brotherhood lead by Stoneheart, but show Gendry is anti-Lord of Light and Brotherhood.
Edit: Also how book Gendry hates Robert but show Gendry loves him
Edit2: And how show Gendry knows he's his bastard but book Gendry doesn't
Book Gendry doesn't stick around for the BWB hangings and while everyone else is out pillaging and fighting and becoming monsters inside Stoneheart's BWB Gendry is just looking after children at an orphanage.

I'm guessing Sam discovers the truth later. Didn't he drop the book on the kids lap. I imagine the it will be revealed that Gilly packed the book with her son's things when they left.

Forkball

Not feeling the party set up.

Jon- Class: Lord. He has the best gear and overall stat distribution, so he's gonna need to do the bulk of the fighting.
Jorah- Class: Knight. A basic meat and potatoes fighter. Pretty unspectacular considering the mobs they have to face. You can only hope for some decent DPS.
Gendry- Class: Blacksmith. This is not the guy you take into battle. He should be at the home base making new gear and overcharging you for it. Though he does have a hammer, which might come in handy if you need to do blunt damage considering everyone else has piercing or slashing weapons.
Tormund- Class: Berserker. His damage output is good and he's destined to land some critical hits, but considering the sheer numbers he needs to be protected at all times.
Thoros- Class: Paladin. He is the only healer in the entire group, and he's not even solely dedicated to that. A huge flaw considering he has zero AoE healing spells.
Beric- Class: Magic Knight: He brings in some much needed elemental damage, but we all know his defense stat is garbage.
Hound- Class: Warrior. He's basically gotta be the tank of the group. He's extremely weak for elemental attacks, so if the army of the dead does any ice magic he's done for.

I would've brought Mel for some magic damage, and maybe Qyburn for item use.

Not feeling the party set up.

Jon- Class: Lord. He has the best gear and overall stat distribution, so he's gonna need to do the bulk of the fighting.
Jorah- Class: Knight. A basic meat and potatoes fighter. Pretty unspectacular considering the mobs they have to face. You can only hope for some decent DPS.
Gendry- Class: Blacksmith. This is not the guy you take into battle. He should be at the home base making new gear and overcharging you for it. Though he does have a hammer, which might come in handy if you need to do blunt damage considering everyone else has piercing or slashing weapons.
Tormund- Class: Berserker. His damage output is good and he's destined to land some critical hits, but considering the sheer numbers he needs to be protected at all times.
Thoros- Class: Paladin. He is the only healer in the entire group, and he's not even solely dedicated to that. A huge flaw considering he has zero AoE healing spells.
Beric- Class: Magic Knight: He brings in some much needed elemental damage, but we all know his defense stat is garbage.
Hound- Class: Warrior. He's basically gotta be the tank of the group. He's extremely weak for elemental attacks, so if the army of the dead does any ice magic he's done for.

I would've brought Mel for some magic damage, and maybe Qyburn for item use.

should have brought arya as a ninja

everyone knows ninja is the most op job (unless your name is edge)

Book Gendry doesn't stick around for the BWB hangings and while everyone else is out pillaging and fighting and becoming monsters inside Stoneheart's BWB Gendry is just looking after children at an orphanage.
But he's still technically with the Brotherhood and does follow the Lord of Light, hell he joined them prior to Stoneheart anyways.

I think Danaerys killing of the Tarlys is one thing but how she did it really makes this look like a mistake. Its so contrary to her plead that she will break the wheel.

KahooTs

But he's still technically with the Brotherhood and does follow the Lord of Light, hell he joined them prior to Stoneheart anyways.
Yeah, what I'm saying is book Gendry is going to end up where show Gendry is. He's not down with the bullshit that's going on there and is just looking after the kids.

TTG

I think Danaerys killing of the Tarlys is one thing but how she did it really makes this look like a mistake. Its so contrary to her plead that she will break the wheel.

That speech was the worst.

Lannister 1: What the hell is she talking about?
Lannister 2: I don't know, some wheel -- OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE DRAGON FUUUGGGGHHH
Lannister 3: Hey, I think those Dothrakis really do use eyeshad- AAAAAwww shit. Tarly's BBQ man.

Brakke

Banned

Rhaegar was always a shit.

Just 'cuz he sings pretty songs sometimes, you thought he was solid?

NimbusD

So, uh, Jon's a true born Targaryen now. Anyone else catch that?
Unless the show is trolling us. Tho the writing in the show since running out of book hasn't been smart enough to do something like that. Everything is pretty transparent.

Which is fine, it's still fun.

Apt101

Rhaegar was prophecy obsessed, which usually doesn't lead ASOIAF characters down virtuous paths.

Makes you wonder if old Brynden Rivers was toying with his dreams.

Also regarding the Gendry talk, I am pretty sure he is an amalgamation of fake Aegon, Gendry, and Edric Storm. He has the hammer, he is a contender to the throne, etc.

Glad they are taking the time to explore that important subplot in Winterfell in this short season of only 7 episodes.

He wanted three children right? If Jon ends up defeating the night king then Rhaegar was sort of right .

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

"I AM NOT A MURDERER. NOW BEND THE KNEE OR I WILL MURDER YOU."

"Your grace, perhaps we should jail these surrendered, unarmed prisoners of war for a time so that they may consider your proposal first?"

"WHAT? I WILL NOT ENSLAVE OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. NO, THEY WILL PLEDGE THEIR UNDYING LOYALTY TO SERVE MY EVERY COMMAND FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES OR I WILL BURN THEM ALIVE, RIGHT NOW. #NOSLAVERY"

Media

I actually screamed when the annulment thing happened. My longest theory confirmed.

And Jon needs to wed his aunt asap since he'd calm down the whole 'burning people to death' thing

Yeah, what I'm saying is book Gendry is going to end up where show Gendry is. He's not down with the bullshit that's going on there and is just looking after the kids.
I agree with that, unless the Brotherhood changes on some level after the Jaime/Brienne conflict in Winds.

"I AM NOT A MURDERER. NOW BEND THE KNEE OR I WILL MURDER YOU."

"Your grace, perhaps we should jail these surrendered, unarmed prisoners of war for a time so that they may consider your proposal first?"

"WHAT? I WILL NOT ENSLAVE OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. NO, THEY WILL PLEDGE THEIR UNDYING LOYALTY TO SERVE MY EVERY COMMAND FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES OR I WILL BURN THEM ALIVE, RIGHT NOW. #NOSLAVERY"

Sounds like Daenerys Targaryen needs a spokesperson.

8S0FsJtV_400x400.jpg

TTG

I'm with Dany, no one has the time or resources to jail all these assholes anyway. And then what happens? Trials, pinky swears? Get that Trump supporter Tarly off the show.

Jetman

The plan to get a White Walker/Wight into Kings Landing is fucking stupid. Makes zero sense. CERSEI DOESN'T CARE. All it's doing is buying her time to find a way to win. That and no one has any idea what the Walkers are capable of or what their powers are. At this point I fully predict bringing an Other/White Walker into Kings Landing will start to turn any dead in those walls into WW's and spread their power south. Then Cersei will die and become a Night Queen.

I think it was just the writers' excuse to give Jon Snow another reason to fight against the White Walkers beyond the Wall. That's it. Story wise it's just dumb.

jfkgoblue

I'm with Dany, no one has the time or resources to jail all these assholes anyway. And then what happens? Trials, pinky swears? Get that Trump supporter Tarly off the show.
Dothraki are well known for their brutal ways, bringing them to Westeros was an awful thing to do.

jfkgoblue

The plan to get a White Walker/Wight into Kings Landing is fucking stupid. Makes zero sense. CERSEI DOESN'T CARE. All it's doing is buying her time to find a way to win. That and no one has any idea what the Walkers are capable of or what their powers are. At this point I fully predict bringing an Other/White Walker into Kings Landing will start to turn any dead in those walls into WW's and spread their power south. Then Cersei will die and become a Night Queen.

I think it was just the writers' excuse to give Jon Snow another reason to fight against the White Walkers beyond the Wall. That's it. Story wise it's just dumb.
Also it's a 2 week ship ride there, 2 week excursion, 2 week ride back. So we are talking about a 6 week detour in the middle of a war.

It could end up being the plot of that horrible Matt Damon movie which also involved a wall.

TTG

Dothraki are well known for their brutal ways, bringing them to Westeros was an awful thing to do.

Who isn't besides Ed Sheeran and Hot Pie? The Mongolian, ahem Dothraki, invasion presumably sack a city like King's Landing at some point, then the real fun starts.

Biske

It'd pretty stupid that the kings landing people have a hard time believing in zombies when the fucking zombie mountain is walking around.

I mean it's also stupid that supernatural dragon hatching fire walking Dany is like "wooooooooah thats crazy" even after her own Zombie Khal Drogo.

But its especially stupid for people who know about zombie mountain not to think "hmm this is extremely likely".

The whole "everyone is my enemy and a liar" doesn't cut it when clearly they live in a world where unusual shit is happening all day everyday.

Top Bottom