• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Also it's a 2 week ship ride there, 2 week excursion, 2 week ride back. So we are talking about a 6 week detour in the middle of a war.

I mean, Jorah left from the southwest tip of the continent to reach Dragonstone (in the midst of a war) and was in time to see Dany return from her relatively short expedition to the area outside of King's Landing.

Either they all have teleporters now, or time is really flexible now that plot shit has to happen.

It'd pretty stupid that the kings landing people have a hard time believing in zombies when the fucking zombie mountain is walking around.

I mean it's also stupid that supernatural dragon hatching fire walking Dany is like "wooooooooah thats crazy" even after her own Zombie Khal Drogo.

But its especially stupid for people who know about zombie mountain not to think "hmm this is extremely likely".

The whole "everyone is my enemy and a liar" doesn't cut it when clearly they live in a world where unusual shit is happening all day everyday.

This is so true. Like how do you have non-believers in a world where clearly magic exists and have seen it for themselves...

KahooTs

Don't see the reason for making the marriage annulled. Aegon and Rhaenys are dead, so why not just polygamy? Is there going to be a good reason for it?

"I AM NOT A MURDERER. NOW BEND THE KNEE OR I WILL MURDER YOU."

"Your grace, perhaps we should jail these surrendered, unarmed prisoners of war for a time so that they may consider your proposal first?"

"WHAT? I WILL NOT ENSLAVE OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. NO, THEY WILL PLEDGE THEIR UNDYING LOYALTY TO SERVE MY EVERY COMMAND FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES OR I WILL BURN THEM ALIVE, RIGHT NOW. #NOSLAVERY"

exactly. look how she conquered mereen and compare that to this. i mean sure she was talking to armymen and those arent exactly the same as civilians but still she should have handled the ones unwilling to bend the knee differently (castle black was a great option imho)

I mean, Jorah left from the southwest tip of the continent to reach Dragonstone (in the midst of a war) and was in time to see Dany return from her relatively short expedition to the area outside of King's Landing.

Either they all have teleporters now, or time is really flexible now that plot shit has to happen.

it would have been more realistic for jorah to reappear at the battle field

jett

D-Member
exactly. look how she conquered mereen and compare that to this. i mean sure she was talking to armymen and those arent exactly the same as civilians but still she should have handled the ones unwilling to bend the knee differently (castle black was a great option imho)

They don't have time to deal with the ramifications of imprisoning anyone. Move the plot along or fucking die, that's it.

Media

The plan to get a White Walker/Wight into Kings Landing is fucking stupid. Makes zero sense. CERSEI DOESN'T CARE. All it's doing is buying her time to find a way to win. That and no one has any idea what the Walkers are capable of or what their powers are. At this point I fully predict bringing an Other/White Walker into Kings Landing will start to turn any dead in those walls into WW's and spread their power south. Then Cersei will die and become a Night Queen.

I think it was just the writers' excuse to give Jon Snow another reason to fight against the White Walkers beyond the Wall. That's it. Story wise it's just dumb.

I mean, didn't they do that in the books? I don't recall much but I thought they sent a box with a living/dead arm to Kings landing? And instead of like, taking it seriously they used it to make Sir Zombie Mountain?

erawsd

It was a decent option and Dany seemed like she might allow it but Tarley rejected it before she could give a response. He preferred death

Don't see the reason for making the marriage annulled. Aegon and Rhaenys are dead, so why not just polygamy? Is there going to be a good reason for it?

If he re-married, that means Jon would officially not be a bastard, and then Jon would come before aunty in the line of succession

It was a decent option and Dany seemed like she might allow it but Tarley rejected it before she could give a response. He preferred death

Forcing Dany to burn him was a shrewd political move if he wanted to turn the rest of Westeros against her

Unfortunately, his son was collateral

mantidor

It'd pretty stupid that the kings landing people have a hard time believing in zombies when the fucking zombie mountain is walking around.

I mean it's also stupid that supernatural dragon hatching fire walking Dany is like "wooooooooah thats crazy" even after her own Zombie Khal Drogo.

But its especially stupid for people who know about zombie mountain not to think "hmm this is extremely likely".

The whole "everyone is my enemy and a liar" doesn't cut it when clearly they live in a world where unusual shit is happening all day everyday.

I would also doubt about an army of undead, and honestly hunting for a wight is not enough for the reasons you exposed, but it will be enough of course,

I mean, didn't they do that in the books? I don't recall much but I thought they sent a box with a living/dead arm to Kings landing? And instead of like, taking it seriously they used it to make Sir Zombie Mountain?

That's the 2nd time that's been brought up, but I totally am drawing a blank on that. And yeah that did happen..

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's to show that R+L is true love! He loved her so much that he left his wife and made their kids bastards (annulment means the marriage never happened so that means his other 2 kids were technically bastards) for her. It's so romantic!

Mrbob

"I AM NOT A MURDERER. NOW BEND THE KNEE OR I WILL MURDER YOU."

"Your grace, perhaps we should jail these surrendered, unarmed prisoners of war for a time so that they may consider your proposal first?"

"WHAT? I WILL NOT ENSLAVE OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. NO, THEY WILL PLEDGE THEIR UNDYING LOYALTY TO SERVE MY EVERY COMMAND FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES OR I WILL BURN THEM ALIVE, RIGHT NOW. #NOSLAVERY"
I also love how this speech came right after Drogon decimated like 80% of the army.

TTG

The only way this let's get a traveling zombie menagerie plot arc works is if Jon discovers something worthwhile when he's out there. It's too much of a contrived and transparent premise otherwise. Dany has a legit problem in that she can't get the throne without sacking the city, but this is just the most ass backwards attempt.

Apt101

Just finished it. Nice segue into the next episode, in which I fully expect all of them but Jon to die. I like the way the show has used Beric.

erawsd

If he re-married, that means Jon would officially not be a bastard, and then Jon would come before aunty in the line of succession

Forcing Dany to burn him was a shrewd political move if he wanted to turn the rest of Westeros against her

Yeah that’s a good point, that’s probably exactly what he intended.

the rest of westeros usually doesnt care or is scared to shits

lol at the Jon/Drogon scene and then the casual, Sam not listening drop about Rhaegar annulling his marriage and marrying Lyanna. Hope Sam brought that book with him, probably not so I'm sure the crypt will come into play. I hope we get Jon finding out and the reaction this year.

I'm gonna assume that's a "decoy" letter and the one he was looking for was what Ned was going to send to Jon... Did they address that in the first season? I forget. The idea of that letter leading to legit conflict between Arya and Sansa is dumb.

Sounds like Daenerys Targaryen needs a spokesperson.

8S0FsJtV_400x400.jpg

she already has theon as spicey hiding in the bushes

I mean we're coming up on the end of the entire series so I get that they have to move things along and people do things cause "reasons" but I sort of disagree about the whole disbelief of the white walkers stuff.

For one I think even Cersei thinks the mountain is less magic and more the miracles of "modern" science and for two it's not as if everyone in Kings Landing knows him or has seen him.

As for the dragons, yeah it's crazy they've hatched and they're back but it wasn't that long ago they were flying around wrecking shop compared to the long night and the last battle with the white walkers.

As to the stupid plan to capture one and bring it to Cersei....yeah that's fucking stupid but unless I'm remembering wrong didn't Tyrion give the impression that he wasn't really interested in getting his sister to join the fight to protect the realm as much as something left unsaid? I mean it seemed to me he and Dany knew she likely wouldn't care even if they were real and they had some sort of ulterior motive (while also wanting the rest of Westeros to actually join the fight while not rebelling against Dany)

I could be wrong but that's the impression I got of the whole situation

I don't get the hating on Dany killing her enemies that won't bend the knee. She gave them a choice. She didn't burn down innocents or villages. She asked the enemy to change sides. They refused. She killed her enemies.

How is that bad? She is easily the better queen. I'm not a Dany fan or anything. I just don't see how the some look at her actions and think, "man, she's cruel for killing the bad guys after giving them a chance to save their own lives."

Neece

I don't get the hating on Dany killing her enemies that won't bend the knee. She gave them a choice. She didn't burn down innocents or villages. She asked the enemy to change sides. They refused. She killed her enemies.

How is that bad? She is easily the better queen. I'm not a Dany fan or anything. I just don't see how the some look at her actions and think, "man, she's cruel for killing the bad guys after giving them a chance to save their own lives."

It's not that she killed her enemies. It's that she burned them alive. This is the sticking point for a lot of people in Westeros.

straight up mordering POWs because they won't join you is pretty evil dude

As soon as I saw smithing I was going: "nooo, not fucking Gendry" and then he is right there, with a fucking hammer. "I thought you might still be rowing", FULL META DAVOS, everyone. Well, at least we got instant proof that all that rowing makes really good hammertime training. (considering he's working with the Lannisters and Cersei is involved, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he's a plant though. It wouldn't very Cersei-like to not use the opportunity)

And yeah, Sam going 'imma done here, like everywhere I go' was really kind of dumb, but then they are clearly wiping out the Houses at this point. Also, does this mean that Jon is the only true heir to the Iron Throne and Dany's claim is basically bull?

And of course: the awkward 'game knows game' fan-ship scene with King Friendzone and Jon. That coin pretty much seals his fate though. Like his father, he is probably not coming back from beyond the wall (also, way too close to his goal of not-friendzone, we can't have that, can we? I will miss the adventures of King in the Friendzone). I'm betting the Hound is, Beric and the priest aren't, because those are tied together in death and return... oh. Oooof, that's going to be awkward.

LF - Arya is kind of 'ehm, wot mate' though. Either Bran interferes or... Arya fucks up the North? Is that the game here?

Also, on the White Walkers: first of all, the Night King can see Bran, so he's clearly tied into the same roots (see that whole 'how they made him' scene), so doesn't he like, know, there's a squad coming?
And as for WW numbers, the largest number we've seen was in the scene where a baby was taken back to their 'council' of sorts, where there were about twenty of them, I'd say (
it's actually thirteen visible + baby, but okay
).
This scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9Q81MwPkQ

Oh, and eh, not so subtle hint at future events:
"that the drowned god would awaken and drag down.." Yeah, that is absolutely happening this season. The right-to-camera sails, now this line as a joke, Euron absent for two episodes, I'd say that will happen, or it's one hell of a troll. I just hope that's not a cliffhanger event, since we're now obviously entering showdown-of-the-gods territory, even though the show kind of avoids that topic. We haven't heard 'the old gods and the new' in a long time now, but with the temple of the seven gone, I think the implication is that's time for the old ones now.

Also this times a thousand. Fuck them. They were enemy combatants and she's not trying to have Tarly, a leader who has already betrayed his sworn liege, go gallivanting up to the nights watch when he'd likely just defect and fight again. Also is roasting really that much worse than beheading? I mean maybe there's some stigma there cause of the mad King and all but as a viewer I didn't have a problem with her decision at all and I really don't get why Varys is all of the sudden shitting his panties about what kind of a leader shell be after two deaths

Apt101

They're making her be more like Aegon I Targaryen, the conqueror. And that's fine I guess. But she has all this experience and all these wise advisers and she does that? In the books I'd get it. But so far in the show it is really dumb.

duckroll

I don't get the hating on Dany killing her enemies that won't bend the knee. She gave them a choice. She didn't burn down innocents or villages. She asked the enemy to change sides. They refused. She killed her enemies

Yup. Nothing wrong at all with foreign invaders conquering a continent by force, securing prisoners of war, and then going SUBMIT OR DIE before burning defenseless captives. Nothing at all.

Neece

Also this times a thousand. Fuck them. They were enemy combatants and she's not trying to have Tarly, a leader who has already betrayed his sworn liege, go gallivanting up to the nights watch when he'd likely just defect and fight again. Also is roasting really that much worse than beheading? I mean maybe there's some stigma there cause of the mad King and all but as a viewer I didn't have a problem with her decision at all and I really don't get why Varys is all of the sudden shitting his panties about what kind of a leader shell be after two deaths

The Mad King's legacy still endures to these people. I thought Vary's gave a pretty good summation of why he is cautious of any ruler with as much power and hunger as Dany choosing to burn people alive that don't bend to her will. He saw first hand how the Mad King went from an okay ruler to a mad man. He's just cautious about Dany following his footsteps and wants to make sure she has good advisors that will keep her reigned in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yup. Nothing wrong at all with foreign invaders conquering a continent by force, securing prisoners of war, and then going SUBMIT OR DIE before burning defenseless captives. Nothing at all.
Nah, I think Varys was just overreacting because the Dickon fire brought back bad memories.

Mortemis

Banned
The whole Arya/Little finger storyline annoys me, and how Gendry just comes back into the story now to form the grand fellowship is dumb, but fuck it I'm all for this fellowship.

Since we're going all in on fan service I thought for second that Dany was gonna let Jon take one of the dragons to help out lol. Maybe in the future Ned can come back to life to fight the walkers with Ice.

Hey this world is brutal. We're not talking Geneva convention shit. Id like to think she was making a strong show of force on a known flip flopped because she's new to Westeros and she means to let everyone know she's not playing. I also think it's less about "bend the knee" and be my army vs "bend the knee" and don't then take up arms against me a week later. She took far too long to get rid of the rebels last time she controlled a city. I'm all for a little hell and fury

It's all out War folks. War is hell. Even more hell back in the medieval era. Add dragons, and yeah. It's not like she blew up a church and half a city.

She is fighting the people that tried to have her killed as a baby, right? Does she not have a legitimate claim to the throne? Along with Jon?

illamap

I would have liked more if bran had discovered more children of the forest and they would have gone searching for them, to find ways to destroy NK. Current motivation and plan is just so dumb on so many levels. Oh well at least we will get some action next week.

Apt101

The whole Arya/Little finger storyline annoys me, and how Gendry just comes back into the story now to form the grand fellowship is dumb, but fuck it I'm all for this fellowship.

Since we're going all in on fan service I thought for second that Dany was gonna let Jon take one of the dragons to help out lol. Maybe in the future Ned can come back to life to fight the walkers with Ice.

Arya hasn't proven herself to be the sharpest card. She's lethal, sure. Almost a force of nature. But all emotion and little thought. It makes sense someone like Baelish would pick up on that.

Zolo

Nah, I think Varys was just overreacting because the Dickon fire brought back bad memories.

For what it's worth, execution by being burned alive isn't considered cool in Westeros. It was one of the main points used against Stannis. I know fire is Dany's thing, but if you're going to execute someone, just have them beheaded.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
For what it's worth, execution by being burned alive isn't considered cool in Westeros. It was one of the main points used against Stannis. I know fire is Dany's thing, but if you're going to execute someone, just have them beheaded.
Perhaps I should have phrased that joke less subtly.

The Mad King's legacy still endures to these people. I thought Vary's gave a pretty good summation of why he is cautious of any ruler with as much power and hunger as Dany choosing to burn people alive that don't bend to her will. He saw first hand how the Mad King went from an okay ruler to a mad man. He's just cautious about Dany following his footsteps and wants to make sure she has good advisors that will keep her reigned in.

I for sure agree it wasn't the smartest decision politically I just don't think it was a bad decision from a show runner perspective. Also don't totally disagree in world either but I get Varys is wary and she should heed her advisors a bit more. So far though she's only barely stepped outside the lines of what's acceptable (especially given the mountains reign of terror when he was still alive)

It also bugged me he Tarly kept talking as though she was a foreigner. In her way yes she is but she was born in Westeros and has as much right to the throne as anyone else at this point.

About little finger. It's nice to see him actually being smart again but I swear to god if Sansa or Arya die because of something he does I'm going to flip my shit.

Really hope we get some more background on the Night King before next season. I'm not going to be satisfied with just a big battle with them

Mortemis

Banned
Arya hasn't proven herself to be the sharpest card. She's lethal, sure. Almost a force of nature. But all emotion and little thought. It makes sense someone like Baelish would pick up on that.

I get that, I guess this is just drama that I don't care for. I used to like Little Finger but seeing his character nowadays just annoys me.

Perhaps I should have phrased that joke less subtly.

It's okay, I laughed.

I for sure agree it wasn't the smartest decision politically I just don't think it was a bad decision from a show runner perspective. Also don't totally disagree in world either but I get Varys is wary and she should heed her advisors a bit more. So far though she's only barely stepped outside the lines of what's acceptable (especially given the mountains reign of terror when he was still alive)

Of course it wasn't, Dany toeing the line between hero and villain has always been an important part of her arc, especially so in the books

dabig2

On one hand, burning the Tarly's alive brings back some bad memories of the Starks with her father. On the other hand, fuck the Tarly's and their turncoat asses. Tarly should've been gathering his forces to seize King's Landing as soon as he heard his liege lord and queen were blown up along with hundreds of others at KL. Instead he marches on with the mad queen Cersei to murder Olenna and hundreds of Tyrell soldiers and plunders his own homeland for the benefit of the Lannisters. Fuuuuuck em.

And lol at thinking the common people will give a shit about Dany's harsh actions. We've already established multiple times this season that they're as fickle as grass in a hurricane.

Top Bottom