• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jett

D-Member
Watch Black Sails, he's a major character in it. At this point, Black Sails is a more consistent and better show anyway.

absolutely. Black Sails wiped the floor with this show on a quality perspective since its second season until it ended.

a lot of the political machinations and scheming badasses that this was known for, but better written and performed.

EucIfYY.gif

It has a rocky start but seasons 2 and on Black Sails is a GREAT show.

Game of Thrones right now is season 5-tier, spectacle aside, maybe at its lowest point. Not having any source material to work with is hurting it big-time. The stuff set in motion by GRRM is beyond the grasp of D&D. I thought I could accept the show's post-ADWD story as a replacement, but I'm not sure I can't. You don't really need to be a book reader anyway to see how contrived and dumb it gets at points. The show's still entertaining thankfully.

gurm pls

Arya was a highlight in seasons one to five. And her actress was killing it

The writing of her character deteriorated a lot since then

I feel it's just unusual to see her character in a good place right now, as weird as it sounds. She's always been one step forward, two steps back. Now it's like she's been stacking up wins with no particular goal in mind anymore. Her clash with Littlefinger is also a little hollow because she hasn't interacted much with him.

TTG

The Starks have stopped getting the shit kicked out of them for the moment, I suspect that's at the heart of the "soft" and "Hollywood" criticisms.

To the writing being shit, I don't know if it's all that appreciably worse. Yes, apart from the loot train battle and Sam I can't name really great scenes this season, but it's still been entertaining. That's what this show always has been, it's not The Wire. The production and directing are like a full feature film every week now, it's fun. Wondering where the pieces on the chessboard will end up next week is fun.

Let's not pretend the plight of Mereen or Geoffrey had some depth to them that's been ripped out now because GRRM's great guiding hand is no longer there. Dorne was always Dorne. Enjoy the show at the level it's always worked.

I think Dany's burning of the Tarly's would have been fine if she actually called Randall out on his bullshit. She didn't even make a point of saying that she was Westerosi born in front of the southern men, that the Targaryen rule was the most prosperous rule the kingdom had ever seen whilst many of the great old houses had already fallen in the Baratheon/Lannister reign, she didn't denounce the actions of her father whilst showing she was willing to build alliances with the families that rightfully put an end to him, and then there's the whole him being a turncloak and being alright aligning with a family who had her sister in law and nieces/nephews raped/murdered by The Mountain and being chill with Cersi blowing up The Great Scept along with the Tyrells and faith.

She could have even ended it by saying she wasn't destroying the house given Samwell and the Tarly women were unharmed.

You're right. It's because the showrunners can't create intriguing dialog now that we're way past the books. The only dialog worth mentioning this season has been Jamie and Olenna conversation.

The jon + dragon thing PLUS the master scroll about raeghar annulment was so hammered down, it could have gone like "i foundz a scroll that says jonsnow targaryen confirmed WHAT DOES MEAN ?"

Maybe Pizzolatto did an uncredited rewrite on this episode. These contracts...signatures all over them.

I'm honestly baffled by Arya's suspicion even before Petyr started his clumsy scheme. Did some editor fuck up?

Yeah not sure what she was even going off of. The scene transition from Tyrion arriving in KL to Tyrion meeting Jaime was also super jarring. How'd he even contact Bronn? The plotting on this show is just so incredibly shaky. You can't ask any questions about anything anymore because the whole house of cards will tumble down.

I feel it's just unusual to see her character in a good place right now, as weird as it sounds. She's always been one step forward, two steps back. Now it's like she's been stacking up wins with no particular goal in mind anymore. Her clash with Littlefinger is also a little hollow because she hasn't interacted much with him.

Yes, Arya of all characters is aimless and has no goals.

Werd

I feel like the "spectacle" is too easily dismissed by some in here. Spectacle is a hell of a lot of work by very skilled people that most genuinely get a lot of enjoyment out of watching. I don't feel like it's this cheap thing that should be dismissed because it's not full of GRRM level dialog/plot intricacies. It is definitely what the show has done best in S5-S8... which amounts to having 5 of the most critically acclaimed, loved by general audiences, award winning episodes in a relatively short stretch from "Hardhome" to "Spoils of War". My enjoyment of those scenes isn't retroactively erased by a clunky line and plot contrivance 2 episodes later.

S1-S4 have not been erased from history either. Jaime's arc stalling out did not stop me or most of the audience from caring about his fate last week, the characters foundation built up in early seasons still grants weight to the current episodes. Obviously the show still gets a ridiculous amount of attention and solid reviews and such so I'm not saying anything new here, but opening a fan thread the morning after and seeing all the "terrible" talk still feels weird. Of course people have the right to express their genuine opinions though, and like I said last night I had my issues with this episode.

ZOONAMI

Yes, Arya of all characters is aimless and has no goals.

Arya isn't aimless, she's just already accomplished pretty much what she wanted to. She wanted to be a fighter, not just a girl sold off into marriage like Sansa. She's accomplished that and made it through most of her hit list to avenge her father. So she just seems kind of aimless right now but she's actually the most self-actualized character in the books or on the show, perhaps excluding only show Cersei right now.

ZOONAMI

I can't decided if Littlefinger is working towards any particular end goal, or just trolling the Stark kids because he doesn't have anything better to do at the moment

very

In the making of the episode D&D do a poor job of explaining motivations, as usual. It's like somehow him driving himself as a wedge between sisters and creating drama somehow helps him? I think it will just end up getting him killed which has been long in the making it seems like for D&D. Need some kind of contrivance to get him killed.

I meant of Sansa, that was out of nowhere.

She's bothered by the fact that the Northern Lords are throwing Jon under the bus. She was always close to Jon and would be bothered by such sentiment. She's upset that Sansa is doing little to quell their talk and she knows Sansa secretly wants to rule, as she stated.

Arya isn't aimless, she's just already accomplished pretty much what she wanted to. She wanted to be a fighter, not just a girl sold off into marriage like Sansa. She's accomplished that and made it through most of her hit list to avenge her father. So she just seems kind of aimless right now but she's actually the most self-actualized character in the books or on the show, perhaps excluding only show Cersei right now.

That's a better way of putting what I meant to say.

Still can't believe the Tarlys went into battle without their Valaryan Steel sword.

Sam stole it. It's curious why they haven't mentioned it since.

Remember the line the archmeister had after Sam interrupted him? He said something along the lines of "wasn't the drowned God supposed to come out of the sea and stop aegon?", when talking about legends and stories that never happened, comparing it to the army of the dead.

That's a premonition, y'all. Euron will stop Dany.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
anyone at this point still not convinced dany is going the mad queen route?

finding out about jon after all her weary conquering is going to be the last straw, i reckon.

The annoying thing about Sansa/Arya was that Arya was blatantly in the wrong but she had no context for why. Sansa could have just brought up what happened to Rob for ignoring/wronging his bannermen.

finding out about jon after all her weary conquering is going to be the last straw, i reckon.

I think there's zero chance. They'll end up together, people are grossed out by incest but Danny herself is a product of it.

Sansa: "They would have literally killed me if I refused to write that"

Arya: "Oh shit fair play sis. Let's turn Littlefinger into finger food."

Unless in some bizarre desperation for drama Arya insists Sansa should have died for what she believed in.

In the making of the episode D&D do a poor job of explaining motivations, as usual. It's like somehow him driving himself as a wedge between sisters and creating drama somehow helps him? I think it will just end up getting him killed which has been long in the making it seems like for D&D. Need some kind of contrivance to get him killed.

He believes he can manipulate Sansa. So by eliminating those around her which may challenge her authority or sway her, he gains.

Yeah. I guess the idea is that if he splits Sansa away from Arya/Bran/Jon, she'll be his.

She's bothered by the fact that the Northern Lords are throwing Jon under the bus. She was always close to Jon and would be bothered by such sentiment. She's upset that Sansa is doing little to quell their talk and she knows Sansa secretly wants to rule, as she stated.
Arya is getting dumbed down to push this subplot. How was "we should put our faith in the king" not a defense? And Jon has already gone through the whole beheading vassal lords thing.

I love it. If a character is given room to breathe then they are aimless. If they are involved in tons of action, D&D only care about spectacle.

How about GRRM gets of his fat ass and writes the rest of the story? The last two books were shit and the next two will likely never come. I'll happily take the story we are getting, warts and all.

ZOONAMI

He believes he can manipulate Sansa. So by eliminating those around her which may challenge her authority or sway her, he gains.

Arya already doesn't hold much if any sway over Sansa though, from their interactions and that she's just the little sis, not lady Sansa of the north. It's just going to end up exposing him, and then either his head lopped off or Arya offing him. This actually might be a planned ploy by Sansa and Arya too, Sansa instructed Arya to tail LF to see what he's up to, Arya confronts Sansa with note. Sansa says she was forced to write that, and why the fuck would LF be doing anything with that note right now other than if he knew you were tailing him? See. Then they kill him.

KahooTs

It's an arc she'll come down the other side of. Turn fire and blood, ally with Euron, kill loved Aegon, take the throne, be hated, be mad queen, get betrayed by everyone and kicked off the throne, self reflect and decide she deserved it, rally behind Jon and concentrate on saving the world instead of taking back the throne.
Arya is getting dumbed down to push this subplot. How was "we should put our faith in the king" not a defense? And Jon has already gone through the whole beheading vassal lords thing.
Because Arya knows when Sansa is lying through her FM training. That's what they were going for but their dialogue was so clunky it didn't quite work.

Given the writing this season and the face Arya has the most plot armour in the show I have a hard time believing the Winterfell plot is anything other than Arya playing Little Finger in the most convoluted way possible.

On top of that given we're in fanfic territory The Hound's not going to die before he fights The Mountain.

Violet_0

Banned
it's clear that wants to influence Sansa, it's just ... she pretty much openly shows that she doesn't trust him anymore, no one else trusts him, Jon is the King in the North, Bran is the rightful ruler of Winterfell, and if Sansa is friendly with Arya or not really doesn't make much of a difference. It feels like he's spinning an ever-growing web of intrigues just because he's a junkie and can't stop

ZOONAMI

it's clear that wants to influence Sansa, it's just ... she pretty much openly shows that she doesn't trust him anymore, no one else trusts him, Jon is the King in the North, Bran is the rightful ruler of Winterfell, and if Sansa is friendly with Arya or not really doesn't make much of a difference. It feels like he's spinning an ever-growing web of intrigues just because he's a junkie and can't stop

Exactly, the stated motivations of D&D suck given everything else going on in context. Do I'm guessing it's just a contrivance to finally out LF for the Stark traitor he is, and kill him.

Ambient80

Sansa: "They would have literally killed me if I refused to write that"

Arya: "Oh shit fair play sis. Let's turn Littlefinger into finger food."

Unless in some bizarre desperation for drama Arya insists Sansa should have died for what she believed in.

Hot take: Arya kills Sansa then realizes she was wrong and kills LF too.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!
probably not first. Lol

Forkball

Bran needs to do this:

1)Strap dragonglass to all the ravens
2)Warg all the ravens
3)Fly all the ravens beyond the wall
4)Nosedive the ravens into the horde

Even if the NK screws with the ravens like he did in the last episode, some are bound to fall and take out a few of them by sheer accident.

carlsojo

The Suicide Squad isn't going to catch a wight, they're going to get a full-fledged white walker.

And that white walker is going to take control of the Mountain during the summit of the two queens.

Top Bottom