• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

I know it sounds silly, but the show could definitely use some time traveling aid tools, like:

6 Months Later
4 Weeks Later

So Davis literally sailed on a small boat almost the entire world in one epusode?
No? They brought a ship with them. Also it would only be a week or so shipride from white harbor to Dragonstone and 2 weeks to Eastwatch.

Moff

Why would he be there? This isn't the books.

the actor/character was popular enough to bring him back for something that wasn't even him in the books. And I imagine he does something interesting in the citadel. If they brought Gendry back, it's weird they didn't use this.

dubq

People need to stop thinking about how long it takes to travel places in-show as much as they have stopped thinking about how Sansa said she was 14 on her wedding night with Tyrion, which wasn't that long ago.

jfkgoblue

How tiny is this Westeros?
Well we know it took Ned a month to get from Winterfell to KL, and Cat stayed behind for 3 weeks before taking a ship from White harbor to KL and she beat him there. So it's probably less than a week's ship ride.
People need to stop thinking about how long it takes to travel places in-show as much as they have stopped thinking about how Sansa said she was 14 on her wedding night with Tyrion, which wasn't that long ago.
It was 3 years ago show cannon, they do mention the times of big events like the Red Wedding.

We also know that Dany is now 20 in the show(16 at start) because she mentioned it this season. Sansa was 13 at the start, so that also makes it so she is now 17, 3 years past the marriage.

Moff

in the very first episode, Robert Baratheon travelled from King's Landing to Winterfell in a few minutes with his whole court. This kind of criticism is and always has been dumb and misplaced in this show.

studyguy

Sense of time in this show is completely fucked for me so I've given up worrying about it. Every character now just teleports to where they need to be so w/e.

Jaime somehow floating down the river as well was hilarious given the fact he was wearing a full set of armor.

Real Hero

you could shorten that to 'people need to stop thinking'

Applebite

Liked this review a lot, could identify with a lot of it.
The pace of the season can't help but cheapen these scenes, but I can't deny that it's a blast. I've been critical of both the relative depopulation of the cast in this final run and the speedy, schematic narrative that checks off high points and moves on without really building to them. The drama, such as it is, misses too many opportunities. I miss when Game Of Thrones was wide open, but even then, the writers were chained to a narrative they didn't yet know the ending of and feared straying too far from. Subplots that might have been fun to explore were relegated or eventually sidelined altogether in the case of characters like Gendry, who disappeared for years and finally resurfaces as a blacksmith in King's Landing, literally waiting for the call to his hero's journey. But Game Of Thrones is not going to be the flavorful political soap it was in season two or the sickening thriller it was in season three. It's going to be the blockbuster it was in the season six finale, and by that standard it's been fantastic.
I don't know that I think it's "fantastic", but I agree with a lot of the points made.

jfkgoblue

in the very first episode, Robert Baratheon travelled from King's Landing to Winterfell in a few minutes with his whole court. This kind of criticism is and always has been dumb and misplaced in this show.
To be fair, they make it clear it took a month for them to travel from KL to Winterfell.

jett

D-Member
the actor/character was popular enough to bring him back for something that wasn't even him in the books. And I imagine he does something interesting in the citadel. If they brought Gendry back, it's weird they didn't use this.

Jaqen wasn't at Essos training Arya in the books either. Weird thing to expect him to be at the Citadel. It's over breh. Whatever he does in the books it doesn't matter here. In the show the Citadel existed only to heal Jorah and to give Sam a book that spells out that Jon is a trueborn targaryen.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's not about one scene to another having large gaps of time, it's about what those characters were doing during that time. Is Dany going to be looking out the window for the 2-4 weeks Jon is away doing nothing?

dubq

Jaqen wasn't at Essos training Arya in the books either. Weird thing to expect him to be at the Citadel. It's over breh. Whatever he does in the books it doesn't matter here. In the show the Citadel existed only heal Jorah and to give Sam a book that spells out that Jon is a trueborn targaryen.

To be fair we don't know it's him in the Citadel in the books. People just assume it due to some theories about the face he took when he first left Arya at Harrenhal.

Moff

Jaqen wasn't at Essos training Arya in the books either. Weird thing to expect him to be at the Citadel. It's over breh. Whatever he does in the books it doesn't matter here. In the show the Citadel existed only to heal Jorah and to give Sam a book that spells out that Jon is a trueborn targaryen.

I know that it wasn't him in Braavos. That was my point.
the actor/character was so popular, they gave him stuff to do that wasn't even in the books.
which is why I think it's weird they cut his citadel storyline, where he actually does something interesting in the books.

jfkgoblue

It's not about one scene to another having large gaps of time, it's about what those characters were doing during that time. Is Dany going to be looking out the window for the 2-4 weeks Jon is away doing nothing?
I think Brynden Tully mentioned in season 3 that even in the worst wars, most of the time nothing is happening.

But I do agree with you, a 4-6 week detour while they wait for Jon to return is dumb.

Hazmat

That worked because nothing else was happening. The raven arrives at Winterfell to tell them that they're coming and then we jump ahead a month. Travel is weird now because people travel across the entire continent in a timespan that feels like days because only a couple days of stuff happens for the other stories in the episodes. It doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely not great storytelling.

Sillverrr

Show has been balls-to-the-wall for several seasons now... realistim plays second fiddle to pure entertainment and spectacle. I have to admit if I hadn't read this thread it wouldn't even have occurred to me to consider such factors geared towards accuracy. I mean, it's fantasy, right? If I wanted a detailed account of what each character was eating/wearing, there's plenty of padding in the later books (or even better, Wheel of Time series).

JakeD

I just checked, in episode 1 Jaime and cersei are at Jon arryns funeral, and a few scenes later they are arriving in winterfell. However, those scenes in between are dedicated to showing the Starks preparing for the king who's traveling up north. It's portrayed as a big deal that the king is making such a long journey. Not really comparable to the casual bouncing around they do now. I personally stopped caring awhile back. Littlefinger and varys last season was peak bad and it hasn't bothered me since

Moff

That worked because nothing else was happening. The raven arrives at Winterfell to tell them that they're coming and then we jump ahead a month. Travel is weird now because people travel across the entire continent in a timespan that feels like days because only a couple days of stuff happens for the other stories in the episodes. It doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely not great storytelling.

and would you want preparing scenes like those now every time one of the countless characters travels around? Personally, I would not mind 10 episodes for each of the last two seasons, I was never even really bothered by characters like Ros that helped slow down the pacing a bit and let the big main story breathe. But I also enjoy the faster pace now when things are coming together and coming to the end. I thought this episode was a blast.

Hazmat

and would you want preparing scenes like those now every time one of the countless characters travels around? Personally, I would not mind 10 episodes for each of the last two seasons, I was never even really bothered by characters like Ros that helped slow down the pacing a bit and let the big main story breathe. But I also enjoy the faster pace now when things are coming together. I thought this episode was a blast.

I said it didn't really bother me. I'm really enjoying this season, but it's a legitimate complaint that some people might have that this plan to capture a wight to convince Dany and Cersei to pause their war and send their armies North will result in the wall being reinforced in 2-3 months which is probably too late.

jfkgoblue

But like how many times do they have to make it clear how long it takes for people to travel? Show's been on for close to a decade now, let's stop wasting time.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I see the point they make.

Jon arriving in Dragonstone quickly isn't that bad because it doesn't take that long to travel by ship. It took the BwB 4 episodes to reach the wall, Arya 2 to get to Winterfell. Jorah getting to Dragonstone was bad though.

Paganmoon

I know it sounds silly, but the show could definitely use some time traveling aid tools, like:

6 Months Later
4 Weeks Later

So Davis literally sailed on a small boat almost the entire world in one epusode?

Doesn't really work, cause they'd have to go "4 weeks later" in one scene, and then go "in another part of the world, 2 months earlier", then "in bravos 3 months later", and then, "at the same time as that thing 2 months earlier than that thing 4 weeks later".

On the episode:

Gendrys hammer looked so... damned... fake, specially at the smithys and when he put it in the rowing boat.
As others pointed out, Arya learned spying from Dexter.
Gilly almost revealing Jon Targaryan was a damned tease (queue months of "but they didn't outright say it!", we all know that's what was going to be said...)
Not a single one of the "squad" was wearing anything on their head... going out into a fucking blizzard...

Jaime somehow floating down the river as well was hilarious given the fact he was wearing a full set of armor.

dany - hey guise have you seen the enemy commander, I swear he was like totally charging at me a second ago
trion - yeah I was watching him but then he fell into the water so like maybe he's dead? Plus it'd be too hard & risky to look for him now considering that there's a lot of battling to do left

Gigglepoo

And the first thing Cercei says after arriving is "We've been riding for a month my love, surely the dead can wait."

duckroll

I don't think it's silly at all. This show needs help. How long has Sam being at the Citadel? Baby Sam was a baby when they got there. He's way older now.

I love how Sam was like "I let Bran through the Wall, he survived and came back after spending YEARS beyond the Wall!"

Sure doesn't feel like it has been years! For some characters it feels like years have passed. For others it feels like a year or a few months at most. It's really weird!

Brans story has been terrible in the show. We have no sense of progression of his character yet the show expects us to care when Meera leaves him.

Hodor didn't die for this :(

Rewatched the Hodor scene earlier today. Damn it was good. We won't be getting anything like that again :( an actually shocking character death where the viewer feels dismay for the character.

Gigglepoo

You know how I always say the show doesn't have consequences anymore? We might have had the best example of that so far last night:

Jamie charges a dragon and there are no consequences!

Iksenpets

Banned
Was just thinking through how monumentally dumb Cersei's strategy has been this season, if anything behaved as you expected it to.

1. Captures Ellaria, parades her through the streets, then leaves her to die.

Expected result: The Dornish army, deprived of any leadership to hold them to a strategic plan and motivated entirely by vengeance, marches north and starts doing as much damage as they can raiding the Stormlands.

Result in the show: The Dornish disappear.

2. Forfeits Casterly Rock to the Unsullied, in order to use the troops that would have defended it elsewhere. Have Euron burn their ships, cutting off their retreat.

Expected result: With a foothold in the completely undefended West, the Unsullied begin capturing every village and farm them can get their hands on, possibly raid directly on Lannisport. With their retreat and ability to resupply cut off, these raids probably become much more violent than they otherwise would be, since the Unsullied need to capture supplies from the people of the West for survival, rather than just trying to secure their submission.

Result in the show: The Unsullied begin walking across the entire continent to get back to Dragonstone, maybe? Doing absolutely no damage along the way, probably?

3. March the army that's not fighting the Unsullied to a fully defended Highgarden to take it.

Expected result: With the full Tyrell army at Highgarden, and without any plan to open the gates or otherwise infiltrate the castle, the majority of the Lannister army dies on the walls of Highgarden.

Result in the show: The Lannisters win an easy victory.

Expected result of all of this: Given that she's decimated her own army, and is manifestly failing to protect the lands of the two kingdoms that still follow her, lords begin abandoning her en masse, and her kingdom is reduced to the city limits of King's Landing, now deprived of any outside resources. She seems doomed.

Result of all of this in the show: Everything goes swimmingly and Cersei actually gains allies, until Dany starts burning things.

And the failure to respond to all of Cersei's errors pretty clearly lies with Tyrion. He's talking a lot about trying to restrain the dragons, but he's holding back Dany's conventional resources too, by refusing to attack anything that isn't an army or castle, even when Cersei opens herself up to obvious attack. This whole war is being treated like some sort of board game where the only thing that matters are castles and army units, instead of being an actual war where ceding footholds into territory has actual consequences.

Brans story has been terrible in the show. We have no sense of progression of his character yet the show expects us to care when Meera leaves him.

Hodor didn't die for this :(

Rewatched the Hodor scene earlier today. Damn it was good. We won't be getting anything like that again :( an actually shocking character death where the viewer feels dismay for the character.

Disagree with this. Bran's progression is that he never really understood the sacrifices that were being asked of him, and the Three-Eyed Raven pretty clearly kept from him what was going to happen to him, and now Bran has pretty entirely lost himself to the mission that was foisted on him, that he took up trying to find some meaning in his life as a cripple. Meera's pretty much the saddest character in the story now, having lost everything and suffered through years of her life for a mission who's result she doesn't understand and that for all intents and purposes has killed her every friend.

HMD

This episode alone felt like an entire season's worth of plot points and events happening all at once, I honestly wish we simply got two 10 hour seasons with higher budgets but it simply isn't feasible and I'm still in love with the show anyway.

Rhaegar having his marriage annulled doesn't seem right to me, if he's doing it to fulfill the "dragon must have three heads" prophecy. Why would he disinherit the two other heads? More likely GRRM will have him just be polygamous the way the old Targaryens were. But whatever, I can live with it, the show is fun.

Gigglepoo

This episode alone felt like an entire season's worth of plot points and events happening all at once, I honestly wish we simply got two 10 hour seasons with higher budgets but it simply isn't feasible and I'm still in love with the show anyway.

Jon going North of the Wall to capture a wight should have been his plotline for an entire season. It's madness that they're going to do it all in one episode.

Nere

aP97G7Q_460s.jpg

I don't know if this was posted here but I haven't laughed like this in a long time. This guy will never finish those books.

gspec

Succession is not really my thing but Rhaegar died before Aerys so he was never king. Wouldn't the offspring of the ruler come first? I'm now officially confused.

Rhaegar was the crown prince. Males offspring take priority over females in westoros

Take a drink everytime this season has the line "Bend the knee." I don't think you will make it lol. Writers keep spamming this line to a point where it just sounds silly.

gspec

Rhaegar having his marriage annulled doesn't seem right to me, if he's doing it to fulfill the "dragon must have three heads" prophecy. Why would he disinherit the two other heads? More likely GRRM will have him just be polygamous the way the old Targaryens were. But whatever, I can live with it, the show is fun.

Rhaegar was obsessed with the prince that was promise prophecy. He read a book that convinced him that he needed to chase and capture the knight (who was lyanna in disguised) who would lead him to the girl (blue rose) he need to have a child with to bring the PTWP to past. When he caught the knight and it was Lyanna (who he had an attraction to already). Everything just fell into place.

Before Rhaegar went to the trident, he had a conversion with Jaime telling him that things are going to change (He was going to overthrow his father, King Aerysor get him deemed unfit for rule ) (the theory is he created a council to achieved this after marrying Lyanna and getting her pregnant. )

Top Bottom