• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Brakke

Banned
Dany is one "Westerosi" at the head of a ten thousand-strong horde of foreign invaders. Dany didn't ever live in Westeros, she barely knows anything about it.

She's a foreigner.

Racists don't usually let people off on technicalities.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Jesus. S7 is warp-speed insanity as it is. I can't imagine how ridiculous this thing would have played out if they had tried to cram it all into one 10-episode season. The difference in pacing between S7 and the six seasons that came before it is already staggering.
It's only 3 more episodes this way.

JakeD

Dany is one "Westerosi" at the head of a ten thousand-strong horde of foreign invaders. Dany didn't ever live in Westeros, she barely knows anything about it.

She's a foreigner.

Racists don't usually let people off on technicalities.

she's the daughter of the king that Tarly fought for like 17 years earlier in roberts rebellion. this information was brought up *this season*.... its not like im digging in the appendices of the books here.

Brakke

Banned
When Sam brought a Wildling to Horn Hill, Randyll disowned his son *for the second time*. Dany brought much more than one Wildling to Randyll home.

How the fuck are they planning to capture a White Walker btw? Do they have a special contraption? Did they plan for this? They gonna just tie it up?

Aiii

So not worth it
While the Dothraki can surely be described as being "wild", they are not Wildlings by any stretch of the imaginations. They'd be alot paler and warmly dressed, for sure.

I wish they had just killed the Tarly's in the battle instead of showing us evil dictator mad queen Dany that they somehow think is "morally ambiguous" when she's really just a murdering twat, burning people because she loves to tell her dragon to breathe fire in Valyrian.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
How the fuck are they planning to capture a White Walker btw? Do they have a special contraption? Did they plan for this? They gonna just tie it up?

they're trying to get a wight, not a white walker.

which is stupid, because a wight is only evidence of necromancy, something cersei of all people should already be aware of.

which is stupid, because a wight is only evidence of necromancy, something cersei of all people should already be aware of.

Ah I see. And yeah, I don't think a Wight is enough to convince people. They brought a Wight back to the wall in earlier season and the reactiion was just "Hmm ok, what else is happening beyond the wall?"

I think they need to bring a sentient, living (?) White Walker. Which is probably impossible.

1. They don't known that she is

2. These kind of envoys often arrive in open court sessions. So it would show everyone in court that something is going on in the north. It's likely that they think Cersei would lose support if she ignores this threat

Ah I see. And yeah, I don't think a Wight is enough to convince people. They brought a Wight back to the wall in earlier season and the reactiion was just "Hmm ok, what else is happening beyond the wall?"

No, they were brought a severed, motionless and decaying hand of a wight. An entire wight, who can still walk, would get a different reaction

I know I shouldn't care, but things like this interview annoy me so much:

NO. NO HE IS NOT. He gave up all titles, birthright and ownership of land when he took the black. He serves the Night's Watch and nobody else.

As the actor you should know this. If not, you should have had a writer or director drill it into your head. It's a fundamental part of your characters background for fooks sake.

It's like nobody on this show remembers anything from pre-season 6 anymore.

Technically when he went to visit his home, Sam certainly seemed keen at taking their hospitality despite giving everything up. Also he was released to become a Maester.

MoeDabs

2. These kind of envoys often arrive in open court sessions. So it would show everyone in court that something is going on in the north. It's likely that they think Cersei would lose support if she ignores this threat

No, they were brought a severed, motionless and decaying hand of a wight. An entire wight, who can still walk, would get a different reaction

There is 0% chance of Cersei receiving Tyrion, Jon, and a zombie in open court.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

i suppose it might lead to plot mandated loss of support, but we have a queen who is flaunting incest during a losing war, and people seem to be fine with that.

and how are you going to sneak a wight into court? or prove he's one in an army of them led by fairytales?

I also think it's kind of stupid to even try to call for an armistice and get Cersei's help. Fuck Cersei, what is she going to do, send men to fight at the Wall? I don't think any amount of men is going to stop The Night King and the Long Night. Jon knows this. They need Danaerys and her 3 fucking dragons to rain down hellfire on the walkers from above.

Cersei COULD use some Wildfire bombs on the Walkers, but she won't want to because that will be one of her main weapons against Danaerys in the war to come. Cersei ain't gonna give up her Wildfire and then have to give up the throne. She's gonna go down fighting.

Technically when he went to visit his home, Sam certainly seemed keen at taking their hospitality despite giving everything up. Also he was released to become a Maester.

Well, technically to become the new Maester of the Night's Watch to replace Aemon, so that's not REALLY releasing him from his vows.

There is 0% chance of Cersei receiving Tyrion, Jon, and a zombie in open court.

You're trying to apply logic and reason to a show that is no longer bound by such things. D&D are in charge of this fucker. There is 0% chance that Cersei, Tyrion, Jon, Dany and a wight are not all in the same place by episode 7. They've already planted that tentpole firmly in the ground.

MoeDabs

You're trying to apply logic and reason to a show that is no longer bound by such things. D&D are in charge of this fucker. There is 0% chance that Cersei, Tyrion, Jon, Dany and a wight are not all in the same place by episode 7. They've already planted that tentpole firmly in the ground.

Yeah but it will be in secret. There is no way they all just walk into the red keep in front of everyone.

and I think Cersei is clearly planning a sort of Red Wedding at court. Kill all of them with Wildfire. Jaime has to stop her and kill her. Hound has to fight the Mountain. Dragons storm in. Euron shows up. Big ass battle going down in the finale at Kings Landing!

Brakke

Banned
I also think it's kind of stupid to even try to call for an armistice and get Cersei's help. Fuck Cersei, what is she going to do, send men to fight at the Wall? I don't think any amount of men is going to stop The Night King and the Long Night. Jon knows this. They need Danaerys and her 3 fucking dragons to rain down hellfire on the walkers from above.

Cersei COULD use some Wildfire bombs on the Walkers, but she won't want to because that will be one of her main weapons against Danaerys in the war to come. Cersei ain't gonna give up her Wildfire and then have to give up the throne. She's gonna go down fighting.

They aren't expecting Cersei to contribute, they just don't want Cersei to raze Dragonstone (or Casterly Rock I guess?) while they're off fighting the dead.

Also, they're definitely wrong and this plan won't succeed the way they want it to, even if they do capture a wight. The show doesn't want you to expect any of this to work.

and I think Cersei is clearly planning a sort of Red Wedding at court. Kill all of them with Wildfire. Jaime has to stop her and kill her. Hound has to fight the Mountain. Dragons storm in. Euron shows up. Big ass battle going down in the finale at Kings Landing!

I don't think that's going to happen. Not unless
HBO has decided to keep any hint of it out of all trailers/promotional footage, which they've never done before with a big battle. I think episode 6 is going to have our last, big setpiece battle of the season. Cersei, Jaime, Euron and co. are rolling over into the final season.

Faddy

Banned
They aren't expecting Cersei to contribute, they just don't want Cersei to raze Dragonstone (or Casterly Rock I guess?) while they're off fighting the dead.

Also, they're definitely wrong and this plan won't succeed the way they want it to, even if they do capture a wight. The show doesn't want you to expect any of this to work.

Tyrion is pretty much committed to not fighting any more battles. He saw the horror of what happened with the dragon, he saw Dany burn the Tarly's. He isn't interested in seeing that again. Convincing Cersei to surrender, suspend hostilities, give her a way out- bascially anything that doesn't involve dragons burning Kings Landing and thousands of soldiers to dust.

Dany won't show up, Jon might not either, they'll send others in their stead. So her doing this will only speed up an assault on the red keep by Dany and Co. As they will believe they can not go forward and attack the wights without Cersei hitting them from behind.

It's more like;y that this will work, but Cersei won't contribute to their cause and will continue to build the rift between Jamie and Cersei. She will probably use this opportunity to attack them, and wait until they are marching north. Imagine if Dany and Jon have to battle a war from the North and The South at the same time.

They will be expecting a selll sword army, or Cerseis men to come to their aide, and then instead of the cavalry, they will be fighting for Cersei and not against the Army of The Dead.

-Also is The Mountain basically a Wight?

Croyles

Still enjoying it but there are a few too many moments that feel like fan fiction. Can't really say I blame the writers tbh.

Gendry + rowing comment, this weird lets bring a white walker to Cersei plan. I dunno it all feels a little stinted.

mantidor

Not really,they definitely want the whole seven kingdom's armies to unite against the dead, it's implied not even the dragons are enough, and with the way the Night King raises anyone who falls in battle and adds them to his side they are not entirely wrong.

ZOONAMI

Well, technically to become the new Maester of the Night's Watch to replace Aemon, so that's not REALLY releasing him from his vows.

At the same time the watch is already pretty well decimated no? I would think any remaining brothers would have already been kind of pissed at Sam just getting to up and leave the wall, and I don't really think any of them would really be that surprised if he just never came back especially with his father and brother just dying. It's pretty easy to make Sam like not really a watchman that needs to be at the wall constantly, and yeah given he's not all that much of a fighter he honestly doesn't have much need to be at the wall on a constant basis, especially if the white walkers are defeated or at least pushed back indefinitely. He might just be an instance of a watchman who can break his vows with little consequence, much like Jon.

ZOONAMI

Still enjoying it but there are a few too many moments that feel like fan fiction. Can't really say I blame the writers tbh.

Gendry + rowing comment, this weird lets bring a white walker to Cersei plan. I dunno it all feels a little stinted.

Yeah the bringing a white walker to cersei plot makes zero sense. Do they really think she would even care? She would just say we'll that's what the wall is for, so fuck off. Do they even want to ally with her anyway? She's like the ultimate fucking backstabber and doesn't even have much of an army to stand on. They should be trying to align with Euron, not Cersei. Honestly the plot should OK euron you do your thing, get close to Cersei, and kill her. Then you can be rightful king of the iron islands and you can have a separate state. Help us with the white walkers with your magic fireball fleet and you will forever go down in history as a great hero blah blah blah. You can have whatever wife you want, why bother with this old hag cersei. Jon dying and being released of his vows is such a loophole he might as well still have broken his vows, as for all intents and purposes he's alive. He doesn't just get a free pass for his entire previous life.

ZOONAMI

No he is still a brother. Only death can release you from your vows.

But hasn't he broken his vows by boning gilly? Lord commander would likely release him over killing him given his importance to the entire reason the watch even exists.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
But hasn't he broken his vows by boning gilly? Lord commander would likely release him over killing him given his importance to the entire reason the watch even exists.
Every NW member breaks their vows by going to Mole's Town. The only 2 that didn't were Jon and Sam and they both fucked Free Folk.

Yep- he was not released from his vows. Thing is, I don't know that it matters that much anymore. What used to be the night's watch is now just Edd and a few homies, and they're sitting at Castle Black doing fuck-all while the army of the dead approaches Eastwatch. In truth- Jon's still the LC of the NW. He may have dropped the cloak, the title and left Castle Black, but he's the one ranging north of the wall looking to protect the realms of men from the Others. Assuming that either the wall comes down or the army of the dead gets around it and all hell breaks loose in Westeros, I don't think it's going to matter much who took what vow and when.

Given how many people in this thread don't know the difference between a wight and a white walker, I have to wonder how many in the general audience are about to be totally fucking confused by the events of the next two episodes...

Top Bottom