• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

ZOONAMI

Nah, Tyrion will survive and after Jaime kills Cersei to prevent her from destroying King's Landing (or letting the White Walkers win the war out of spite) Tyrion will be the one to convince Dany to spare Jaime's life as a reward. That will be Tyrion's big oratory moment and the conclusion of the arc of the Lannister siblings, as Dany is really, really going to want to burn Jaime alive. Jaime will retire to Casterly Rock with Brienne as lord of his diminished, defeated house and Tyrion will remain as hand of the king or queen depending on which of Dany or Jon sits the throne.

It's also obvious what's going to happen next episode - (mild preview spoilers)
"Cersei there's all kinds of shit that will wipe everyone out in the north and middle of Westeros."
"Oh that's terrible, you mean Winterfell and the king in the north and all of his armies will be destroyed?"
"Yes."
"And Daenerys has lost a dragon and may lose more if she has to keep fighting them without my help?"
"Yes."
"How ghastly. Well, good luck!"

EDIT: Shit wrong thread lol, guess it doesn't even matter any more if I can't even tell

Isnt dinklage first billing in the credits? I dunno I think he'll be around for at least pretty much the entirety of S8. He's literally the best actor on the show.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Arya is definitely killing Littlefinger, steals his face and commands the Eyrie army

of all the dumb shit this season, the fact that they are still at winterfell quite possibly takes the cake. i mean, it must have been months at the very least by now. the fuck are they doing there?

ZOONAMI

Arya is definitely killing Littlefinger, steals his face and commands the Eyrie troops to march to the Wall

It doesn't even make sense that the Eyrie gives 2 fucks about LF though. LF is currently a character with zero leverage, which is like the opposite of what his character is supposed to be. You take him away from KL which is where all of his influence is and then he doesn't have any real influence.

He comes in with a sham wedding and we're really supposed to believe all of the Vale gives a fuck? Any one of the other houses would have just offed him and taken over if any of this was believable. Did this shit happen in the books? It's been so long I don't even remember.

Faddy

Banned
of all the dumb shit this season, the fact that they are still at winterfell quite possibly takes the cake. i mean, it must have been months at the very least by now. the fuck are they doing there?

Garrisoning Winterfell, protecting Sansa, being ready to fight the Army of the Dead. Generally doing as they are told.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Garrisoning Winterfell, protecting Sansa, being ready to fight the Army of the Dead. Generally doing as they are told.

they were meant to help sansa against the boltons. now that she is the lady of winterfell, why would the lords back at the vale not want their army back? it makes no sense that they would "garrison winterfell" when it sounds like there's not even enough food for all the northerners for the winter.

it's also rather strange that there is all this effort to convince cersei and dany, but absolutely no one has made any effort to convince sweetrobin. he probably has a bigger army than the lannisters at this point, and absolutely no reason to care about the undead.

TankUP

I wish the show was never made. I'd rather have no ending than the garbage the show is giving us.

Once the show went downhill my only consolation was that maybe it would light a fire under George's ass to finish the books, since he claimed he wanted to stay ahead of the show, but that didn't even happen.

I almost feel sorry for George that he fucked up the legacy of his story so badly. But, he signed the TV deal and he over estimated his ability to finish the books in time so in the end its his fault.

dc89

I wish the show was never made. I'd rather have no ending than the garbage the show is giving us.

Once the show went downhill my only consolation was that maybe it would light a fire under George's ass to finish the books, since he claimed he wanted to stay ahead of the show, but that didn't even happen.

I almost feel sorry for George that he fucked up the legacy of his story so badly. But, he signed the TV deal and he over estimated his ability to finish the books in time so in the end its his fault.

:(

Majmun

Season 7 might end up in my top 3. I just love the pacing and hope that season 8 will be the same.

I just want to be finished with the show's story and see how everything unfolds in a red line.

i bet this ending is the true ending GRRM wanted and is giving it a trial run. Now he is all sad that when you write some edge lord fantasy shit giving it a proper ending is fucking hard.

Faddy

Banned

He trashed the legacy of his story with the epilogue to A Storm of Swords. Worse than the Deathly Hallows epilogue imo.

dubq

Being critical of the show is not being "an entitled consumer asshole", what on earth

....there's hundreds of TV shows, why should shoddy writing and directing be rewarded and why on earth does that make someone an entitled consumer asshole?

Not saying they deserve oscars but, sorry (not sorry) .. for someone to insinuate that the folks who pulled this off don't deserve some kind of kudos is fucking insulting, regardless of what you think of the showrunners adaptation. Maybe be thankful that we even have a show like this on tv.

Gigglepoo

I know it's easy to say "Stop worrying about time travel" but it does matter that any character can be anywhere in the world at any time. There are no longer stakes in any conflict. If the writers want a situation resolved, they simply teleport characters where they want. It's a cheap way to solve problems that undermines any inherent logic in the storytelling.

Characters don't live or die based on their actions anymore. Rather, survival is left up totally to the whims of the writers. That's a problem.

Volgarth

I like how Arya is trying to be all holier than thou to Sansa while she is top 3 most insane and evil character herself on the show at this point.

My feeling is...

They are playacting for Little Finger to expose him. Arya has caught on to his plan, and let Sansa in on it. Walls have ears, so time to pass notes. Remember the papers Sansa was burning when she told Brienne to go to Kings Landing. I think his days are numbered.

edit: Just wanted to add, I have no knowledge of episode 7. Just my guess.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i've read some people speculating that arya is just testing sansa and she's really onto littlefinger. that would feel rather lame to me, since if littlefinger has to die in winterfell, at the very least he should get outsmarted by sansa. otherwise, what has been the point? after all this time, sansa needing arya's mindfuckery to get rid of the guy would feel cheap. can't the girl do anything on her own in the entire show?

edit: didn't see the post above. arya and sansa playacting would probably be the worst way to go. so that's probably what will happen.

Not saying they deserve oscars but, sorry (not sorry) .. for someone to insinuate that the folks who pulled this off don't deserve some kind of kudos is fucking insulting, regardless of what you think of the showrunners adaptation. Maybe be thankful that we even have a show like this on tv.

Thankful? HBO's not a charity- they're not giving a gift to humanity for the greater good. We're paying for the show via subscription and by buying the Blu-Rays, merchandise, etc.

Of course the cast and crew go through grueling, long days in sometimes hostile locations. Many people toil very long and hard to bring this story to life, and their excellent work should be recognized. Unfortunately, it's being somewhat undermined by some pretty sophomoric stuff happening in the writers room and occasionally in the director's chair. We're allowed to notice that and bring it up in discussion as well.

ZOONAMI

i've read some people speculating that arya is just testing sansa and she's really onto littlefinger. that would feel rather lame to me, since if littlefinger has to die in winterfell, at the very least he should get outsmarted by sansa. otherwise, what has been the point? after all this time, sansa needing arya's mindfuckery to get rid of the guy would feel cheap. can't the girl do anything on her own in the entire show?

Also Aryas speech about how neither of them got to be what they wanted to be was a load of horseshit. Arya is a talented sword lady and bad ass assassin. It's pretty much the definition of what she wanted to be. Also Sansa effectively ruling WF is pretty much exactly what she wants to be, even if it's temporary. And it's not like she won't get married again, she could literally marry whoever the fuck she wanted without having someone force her into it this time, so she can be a "lady" still if that's what she wants, and has the allies to fucking behead the dude if the dude is a prick this time.

The whole WF sideplot makes no sense right now. Honestly though I kind of think LF and Sansa do have show chemistry, which is creepy given the age difference but not really given what happens in Hollywood and real life all the time. It would be kind of cool if Sansa was like alright LF, I know you are a scheming fucker, just stop with the fuckery, and we can hang out because I actually do kind of like you. And then LF is like alright I'm yours and I'll only be a fucker to your benefit and 100% keep you informed and I understand you will kill me if I'm not upfront. Sansa turns LF into her manservant lover essentially.

Beefy

Man so wish the last episode wasn't spoiled for me.

edit: didn't see the post above. arya and sansa playacting would probably be the worst way to go. so that's probably what will happen.

I can tell you if you want? And if it isn't against the rules?

Madness

Wow, really? All of the droves of people involved in creating this show both on and off screen deserve no accolades for working with what they're given, eh? You sound like the epitome of an entitled consumer asshole.

Reread my post and reread yours and then ask which one of us is acting like an asshole. Just because it is game of thrones doesn't mean they are deserving over the hundreds of other shows that deserve the acting, writing and direction awards. Me saying that their strong suits are cgi and stuntwork this season and nothing else doesn't mean I am saying fuck the people who work on this show. The hell is wrong with you?

But...Jon and Dany are the only people who actually pose a threat to his impending invasion. Drogon's just sitting there waiting to take a spear in the neck, yet the NK decides to go for the much more difficult shot of hitting Viserion, who's moving left to right from his vantage and would have to be led properly, etc.

Just one simple writing/directorial decision could have made this work: The NK is lining up a shot at Drogon when he hears a roar behind him. He turns to see Viserion charging his position directly. Viserion breathes fire down at the NK, who's impervious to it, because he's the fucking NK, bitches. Viserion ends up taking a spear right through his open mouth for his trouble, crashes into the ground and bleeds out almost immediately.

As for Jon's ridiculous escape at the end- wouldn't it have played out much better to have Rhaegal (you know, the dragon named after Jon's dad) double back for Jon of his own accord? They could have even played it out off-screen. Have Dany and Co. show up at Eastwatch on Drogon. They set down, and Dany's like, "Yo, where Rhaegal at?" BOOM. There he is, with Jon riding ably on his back.

I mean, it's still tropey and simplistic, but it's better than:

- NK and his WW's assume Jon's dead and leave. Why assume that? Because reasons.
- Jon magically pops up through ice hole.
- Benjen shows up out of nowhere in a complete ass-pull.
- "Uncle Benjen?"
- Dead.
- Jon rides back to Eastwatch wearing wet/frozen furs. Is fine.
- Jon wakes up. Mentions nothing of seeing his uncle: his childhood idol and his main inspiration for joining the NW in the first place. The man who's disappearance resulted in an expedition north of the wall that set everything in motion that's happened regarding Jon's ascension to LC and now KOTN and the impending war with the army of the dead.

Ugh.

Yeah I was expecting the other dragon to go back for him. But nope, random Benjen.

Arkeband

Banned
But...Jon and Dany are the only people who actually pose a threat to his impending invasion. Drogon's just sitting there waiting to take a spear in the neck, yet the NK decides to go for the much more difficult shot of hitting Viserion, who's moving left to right from his vantage and would have to be led properly, etc.

Just one simple writing/directorial decision could have made this work: The NK is lining up a shot at Drogon when he hears a roar behind him. He turns to see Viserion charging his position directly. Viserion breathes fire down at the NK, who's impervious to it, because he's the fucking NK, bitches. Viserion ends up taking a spear right through his open mouth for his trouble, crashes into the ground and bleeds out almost immediately.

As for Jon's ridiculous escape at the end- wouldn't it have played out much better to have Rhaegal (you know, the dragon named after Jon's dad) double back for Jon of his own accord? They could have even played it out off-screen. Have Dany and Co. show up at Eastwatch on Drogon. They set down, and Dany's like, "Yo, where Rhaegal at?" BOOM. There he is, with Jon riding ably on his back.

I mean, it's still tropey and simplistic, but it's better than:

- NK and his WW's assume Jon's dead and leave. Why assume that? Because reasons.
- Jon magically pops up through ice hole.
- Benjen shows up out of nowhere in a complete ass-pull.
- "Uncle Benjen?"
- Dead.
- Jon rides back to Eastwatch wearing wet/frozen furs. Is fine.
- Jon wakes up. Mentions nothing of seeing his uncle: his childhood idol and his main inspiration for joining the NW in the first place. The man who's disappearance resulted in an expedition north of the wall that set everything in motion that's happened regarding Jon's ascension to LC and now KOTN and the impending war with the army of the dead.

Ugh.

Yeah, what you suggested for the dragon/Night's King seems like such an obvious improvement that it's baffling that these writers, who are making millions of dollars, came to rest on this shit.

Pretty cool episode. The travel stuff was a bit strange. Gendry can run fast, damn. And Jon surviving everything that is thrown at him. But the battle made up for it.

Was I the only one that was like "Jon, are you still alive" when he was staring at Dany on the boat in silence?

manfestival

is there any estimation as to how far the whitewalker army was from eastwatch? I cant imagine they are far at all considering how fast gendry made it to the wall as well as the horse

Where the fuck is Ghost? Or did all the CGI budget go Dragons.

Well, they brought Gendry back, so someone had to take his place and fill the perpetually MIA character slot.

is there any estimation as to how far the whitewalker army was from eastwatch? I cant imagine they are far at all considering how fast gendry made it to the wall as well as the horse

At the current rate of travel they've displayed since 'Hardhome' in season 5, the army of the dead should arrive in Winterfell some time around season 11. They should probably hire Meera to pull them to Winterfell on a sled. They'd get there faster.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

if you look at the terrain, they should be nowhere close, because based on the map there is a huge forest right next to eastwatch (you can see it when dany looks down from the wall) and you cannot see any lakes near it. there is also the bit where sansa said she hasn't heard from jon "in weeks". i find it preposterous to think that jon came back to the north without sending any word to winterfell. of course you could argue that sansa and jon are now on different timelines and jon is still hanging out at dragonstone when sansa says this.

but with show logic, they were probably right next door.

Zocano

Benjen showing up to immediately die is the most hilarious fucking asspull this show has done thus far. And that's saying something.

Cigol

Benjen showing up to immediately die is the most hilarious fucking asspull this show has done thus far. And that's saying something.
What made it even worse was the "there's no time" remark when Jon asked him to come with. Guy just sauntered off and got killed instantly. I'd understand if he was holding off the army creating a diversion but he just walks to his death. Lol.

mantidor

How is it worse than Arya and Sansa being so dumb into falling for such an obvious LF trap? I mean it still is awful writing but less awful than them acting like their experiences for 6 years haven't change them and made them wiser.

beril

I don't really mind the fast traveling or how stupid some of the characters are acting that much, but there's a point where the situation is so ridiculously dire that you start rooting against the heroes simply because you want the show to maintain some sort of credibility.

Being surrounded on all sides on a tiny rock and outnumbered by zombies 10 000 to 1 is way past that point. No one should have survived more than 30 seconds after they started attacking. Creating a situation like that only to let everyone make it out unscathed, with a few extra near misses for maximum stupidity, is just not good storytelling. Either make the situation a bit less over the top or add some real consequence.

Killing off a dragon doesn't really count. Sure, Dany gets a bit sad, but they don't really have enough individuality for viewers to care when there are two left and it wasn't even the main one. Night King getting a zombie dragon may be an important plot point, but it's hard to see him as real threat when the show has just illustrated that plot armor makes everyone invincible

Top Bottom