• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

This show sure is entertaining as fuck but boy,did they went full fanfiction with the last episode, some of those moments reminded me of the worst from TWD. At least the interactions between the Magnificent 7 were pretty cool

Moff

Gendry will sit the iron throne in the end, he is a kind and compassionate man

jon and dany will either die or join the white walkers or something

if we're being honest, it didn't really make sense, either. how did dany get all the dothraki with their horses on ships and then land them somewhere on the continent without lannisters having any clue? that landing would have to be some normandy shit.

Well if you are going to nitpick, Dany wouldn't be able to control the Dothakis either after she simply burn off the Dothaki Khals. I just roll my eyes and go with the flow.

Meier

I have loved the pacing of this season and how much stuff is happening, but last night was of course entirely over the top. The fact they are having to condense so much into 7 episodes has meant there's a lot less room for fluff. I think the season would have benefited from at least 1 or 2 episodes (even if they didn't do 10) to pad things out and allow time to "move" a bit more in between scenes. It felt especially ridiculous for the ravens to get there so quickly and for Dany to be able to fly all the way north in a matter of one night.

If they had interjected more scenes elsewhere meaning this was split over two episodes, it would have been much less egregious. It didn't affect my enjoyment at all, but obviously it's a little bit silly.

barit

More than three. The ice takes about 4 days to get hard enough for the Horde to walk on.

Lmao how do you know that? It was never mentioned once in the episode and the time lapse from dusk till dawn indeed gave the Interpretation that they only waited 24h maximum.

Faddy

Banned
Thinking now they really botched the mechanics of this expedition beyond the Wall.

Sam and Jon should penpal stuff, no one believes the army of the dead, not Dany, not maesters. After Sam saves Jorah he tells him the best way to serve Dany is to convince her and the realm about the white walkers. Jorah/Sam come up with the plan of capturing a wight.

Sam sends details to Jon, (Varys reading the letters can also be a thing for him to do) Dany learns of the scheme and commands him north with some men. Tyrion hatches the scheme to convince Cersei and the realm if Jorah's mission succeeds they will show her the wight.

Tyrion goes on his mission to KL with Davos (they can take some time since Davos doesn't have to go beyond the Wall, Gendry can still fanfic their escape back to dragonstone)

There are all these separate threads being spun in the show but none of them seem to be working together for the overall plot. Only people being in the same room counts.

I love how The Fellowship of the King waited for a week for Dany's dragon ins freezing temperature without food without all dying of hypothermia and then still were in peak fighting shape. At least now we know why marching is taking the Army of the Dead so long. They have to wait for a week anytime they encounter a puddle.

Violet_0

Banned
one more thing, that was a shockingly boring episode for such a long runtime. Nevermind the stupidity of everything on display, the show has been like that for a long long time, we're kinda used to it, but the action was really weak as well this time. The standoff took way too long and the fighting scenes weren't any fun to watch. Just horrible pacing, and I don't normally mind, in fact, I welcome "overlong" episodes. And in-between the nothing-happens-beyond-the-wall we got ... more of fucking Arya and Sansa again

I love how The Fellowship of the King waited for a week for Dany's dragon ins freezing temperature without food without all dying of hypothermia and then still were in peak fighting shape. At least now we know why marching is taking the Army of the Dead so long. They have to wait for a week anytime they encounter a puddle.

no way it took a week they were there 36-40 hours max.

Oberon

Banned
Gendry will sit the iron throne in the end, he is a kind and compassionate man

jon and dany will either die or join the white walkers or something

I remember watching a video with George R. R. Martin talking about game of thrones and his inspiration from history. He talked about how just because you're a good person, doesn't mean you'll be a good ruler and vise versa ( like shown mutliple times in the series)

pablito

one more thing, that was a shockingly boring episode for such a long runtime. Nevermind the stupidity of everything on display, the show has been like that for a long long time, we're kinda used to it, but the action was really weak as well this time. The standoff took way too long and the fighting scenes weren't any fun to watch. Just horrible pacing, and I don't normally mind, in fact, I welcome "overlong" episodes. And in-between the nothing-happens-beyond-the-wall we got ... more of fucking Arya and Sansa again

I have to agree. The only part of the combat I enjoyed was Jon's fancy behind the back stab thing. I thought we'd see some characters shine combat wise. Not really.

Aiii

So not worth it
Are Kingsguard still a thing in this show?

Everyone used to have them, but I think The Mountain is the only one left at this point, right?

Hazmat

Are Kingsguard still a thing in this show?

Everyone used to have them, but I think The Mountain is the only one left at this point, right?

Cersei has six other nameless Kingsguard in new black armor because everyone wears black now, cuz shit is serious. They're there when she addresses Euron and/or the lords of The Reach.

IAt least now we know why marching is taking the Army of the Dead so long. They have to wait for a week anytime they encounter a puddle.

jon-map.jpg

Just to add to this point, here's a map that highlights the movements of the vaunted Army of the Dead vs. those of Jon Snow since the Hardhome episode in S5.

Also- why in the fuck would any still body of water not be solidly frozen over 24/7 north of the wall months after the start of what's supposed to be the worst winter in centuries?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-show-has-changed-for-the-worse/#15222c767ba3

This was a good article that captures a lot of what I am feeling. This is perhaps the worst season by far. Everything about it is exactly what I hate about other shows, especially Walking Dead. Aside from CGI or stuntwork, they don't deserve any accolades for things like writing, acting, direction etc.

it's still not worse than 5

it'll take a helluva lot of work to be worse than 5

dubq

Aside from CGI or stuntwork, they don't deserve any accolades for things like writing, acting, direction etc.

Wow, really? All of the droves of people involved in creating this show both on and off screen deserve no accolades for working with what they're given, eh? You sound like the epitome of an entitled consumer asshole.

Rixxan

Wow, really? All of the droves of people involved in creating this show both on and off screen deserve no accolades for working with what they're given, eh? You sound like the epitome of an entitled consumer asshole.

Mad petulance with this season to be sure

Unrelated:

BRING BACK MARSHALL OR SAPO PLS

Faddy

Banned
Just to add to this point, here's a map that highlights the movements of the vaunted Army of the Dead vs. those of Jon Snow since the Hardhome episode in S5.

Also- why in the fuck would any still body of water not be solidly frozen over 24/7 north of the wall months after the start of what's supposed to be the worst winter in centuries?

What is that big loop around the North. After returning from Castle Black he get Tormund just south of wall, then to Bear Island, then to Deepwood Motte (on the west coast). Then he marches on Winterfell.

Azzanadra

it's still not worse than 5

it'll take a helluva lot of work to be worse than 5

Honestly it is worse than 5 IMO, 5 had the better White Walker battle, Stannis was pretty good until he left Castle Black (and thus began the greatest character assassination in the history of television), and for what its worth Jon's tenure as Lord Commander overall was a decent arc.

The only thing I can say I like about this season so far is Field of Fire 2.0, and even then it feels all too convenient and without stakes unlike the others battles despite having two fan-favorite characters butt heads.

....there's hundreds of TV shows, why should shoddy writing and directing be rewarded and why on earth does that make someone an entitled consumer asshole?

Not enough hate being placed at Taylor's feet for this episode, imho

Dude is a hack
Looked him up, saw that he directed s1e9 and s1e10 and figured you were crazy, then saw he directed Thor 2: The Dark Side of the World and Terminator Genisys...

Was this entire show founded on people who can only work well at adapting source material 1:1 or something?

Being critical of the show is not being "an entitled consumer asshole", what on earth

Griss

My take on the quality of the show is this:

The first four seasons were fantastic political drama with fantasy elements. This is how the show made its name. Lots of intrigue, great world-building, great dialogue, shocking twists.

Seasons 5 and 6 totally lost their way, and were dull and boring, both from the political perspective and the fantasy/action perspective. Even though the story was halfway through they were still introducing new elements like Dorne that only obstructed the final goal of the narrative without actually reintroducing any of the interesting politics of the early season.

Therefore the showrunners said 'Fuck it, we need to wrap this up' and decided to pivot to full-scale fanservice fantasy schlock in a race to the end to get it over with. It's not a terrible decision given that they were clearly out of interesting political material and they absolutely had to deal with zombies and dragons eventually. It's more fun to watch than Seasons 5 and 6, it's just not the same show at all as the one everyone loved over the course of the first 4 seasons. But at least it's watchable, and at least it's clearly going to end with a proper resolution.

Why didn't the Night King just hurl javelins at them when they were trapped?

Like, this would be a minor nitpick if they didn't establish shortly after that they have spears and have killer aim.

pablito

Like, this would be a minor nitpick if they didn't establish shortly after that they have spears and have killer aim.

Why should they be hurling javelins when they're being watched? Jon and co will just move out the way.

Paches

Normally I don't get too worked up about this kind of stuff, but there were so many instances of dumb decisions that in totality it really hurt the entire scene. Teleportation, extras randomly appearing only so they could show a good guy dying, all sans Thoros surviving miraculously, random chains appearing to pull a dragon up, etc etc...

duckroll

Mad petulance with this season to be sure

Unrelated:

BRING BACK MARSHALL OR SAPO PLS

Marshall is doing Hellboy, unlikely he will want to commit for GoT right now. Unless they really, really fuck up Sapochnik is coming back for the finale at the very least. What would be nice imo, is to get Alex Graves back to do an episode if they're going to push Hound vs Gregor to the final season, because that guy has done the best solo fights in the series - Brienne vs Hound, Viper vs Mountain.

WW army went to Blood Ravens cave after Hardhome. I think it's near the Fist of the First Men.

Not that it makes a difference, but just wanted to clear that up since it changes the red line a little bit.

Why should they be hurling javelins when they're being watched? Jon and co will just move out the way.

It just seemed an obvious situation to use projectiles. Like, the ideal situation, in fact. Also surprised there isn't a single reanimated archer in the ranks, but oh well.

I'm with the general vibe. The show is very dumb (as dumb as it's been in a while, when it comes to logic) but it's fun.

The Arya/Sansa parts are just boring, though. It feels like the writers just didn't know what else to do with those characters and now we get to watch this forced drama/tension come from characters acting very stupidly.

My only guess is he knows about dragons being alive somehow, and knew he should wait to use them.

from the moment I saw the spears, I thought they were dragon spears.

jett

D-Member
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...-show-has-changed-for-the-worse/#15222c767ba3

This was a good article that captures a lot of what I am feeling. This is perhaps the worst season by far. Everything about it is exactly what I hate about other shows, especially Walking Dead. Aside from CGI or stuntwork, they don't deserve any accolades for things like writing, acting, direction etc.

Yes good stuff in that article. It's a mix of not having access to source material and the show barreling down to its conclusion. This is the final stretch after all.

I would never compare this show to TWD though. TWD is fucking garbage, and very often boring fucking garbage filled with horrific filler episodes where nothing happens. GoT may be many things, but never that.

pablito

It just seemed an obvious situation to use projectiles. Like, the ideal situation, in fact. Also surprised there isn't a single reanimated archer in the ranks, but oh well.

I'm with the general vibe. The show is very dumb (as dumb as it's been in a while, when it comes to logic) but it's fun.

The Arya/Sansa parts are just boring, though. It feels like the writers just didn't know what else to do with those characters and now we get to watch this forced drama/tension come from characters acting very stupidly.

This I could get with. Would be a lot tougher to dodge a volley of arrows when you're stuck in that spot. If they can get large chains out of nowhere, they can get some bows and arrows.

But then the whole fight would have happened differently lol.

What is that big loop around the North. After returning from Castle Black he get Tormund just south of wall, then to Bear Island, then to Deepwood Motte (on the west coast). Then he marches on Winterfell.

WW army went to Blood Ravens cave after Hardhome. I think it's near the Fist of the First Men.

Not that it makes a difference, but just wanted to clear that up since it changes the red line a little bit.

Yes- you're right. Updated map here (I'm not making these, they're being made by a Redditor):

Yes good stuff in that article. It's a mix of not having access to source material and the show barreling down to its conclusion. This is the final stretch after all.

I would never compare this show to TWD though. TWD is fucking garbage, and very often boring fucking garbage filled with horrific filler episodes where nothing happens. GoT may be many things, but never that.
I'm comparing it to last two seasons of Lost. Writers just dont know what to do with all these stories and subplots.

I never venture into book spoiler thread but last night got me beyond worked up.

Faddy

Banned
....there's hundreds of TV shows, why should shoddy writing and directing be rewarded and why on earth does that make someone an entitled consumer asshole?

Looked him up, saw that he directed s1e9 and s1e10 and figured you were crazy, then saw he directed Thor 2: The Dark Side of the World and Terminator Genisys...

Was this entire show founded on people who can only work well at adapting source material 1:1 or something?

The set piece battles take a hell of a lot of production work and they have the beats they want to hit. It seems like it has been to the detriment of making the story work fluently

It isn't the dialogue or the action that is the problem for me this season it is the linking scenes between those two things that is the issue. Sometimes it is fine like Tormund capturing the Brotherhood and them being imprisoned at Eastwatch or even skipping the taking of Highgarden. But other times with the most important characters...

Example 1. Dany is coming North of the Wall so the Night King can get a dragon and they have this cool battle scene on a rock in the middle of the lake. But to bring those things together they come up with Gendry runs back to the wall and sends a raven when there are many better ways to make those plot points work together.

Example 2. They wanted Jaime to charge the dragon but they also needed him to get back to KL to tell Cersei so he get pulled clear by Bronn and suspense over.

so what will happen in the season finale?

obviously wall goes down and sansa engages in some stabby time with littlefinger, all very predictable

hopefully the summit of queens will deliver something interesting

Top Bottom