• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

From what I read of what D&D has said, they actually had their own ending in mind when working on the series early on, around season 3 or so? And they went to GRRM and told him their idea for how the show would end, and they compared notes to see how close they would be to his intended ending and if there was anything they should alter. So I would say a lot of the divergence from then on and the show's overall path towards the end is more D&D than GRRM. I think that was the point everyone deep inside accepted that the show would surpass the books and have to end before the books.

Didn't they also mention that George commented at how close they were at getting the ending right?

I didn't quite get that scene either.

His talk with Cersei, him talking about how he cares for his family, I feel he's going to betray Dany at this point. But then he'll pull an Ocelot and kill Cersei in the end, but he'll end up dying.

I can see it happening like this;

"Daario was tired of having to watch over a city that he didn't care about, was scorned about being left behind by Dany, so he left and sold his services to the highest bidder that being the Golden Company making it the second time he's been the head of a mercenary company."
And they'll recast daario again

BFIB

Yaeh, I didn't like how Tyrion was sulking while hot sensual sex was happening. Somethings up with him. And I'm not talking about his boner.
My guess is he promised Cersei he'd submit to her and have his death carried out if she'd agree too help fight the Night King and if they survive.

duckroll

Honestly I don't even believe them when they insinuate they all this planned and mapped out. Season 7 doesn't at all feel like something that has been planned out for years.

Season 7 wasn't. Season 8 is. Remember, they went to HBO and said "we only have one more season, welp" and HBO said "c'mon, can we get two more shorter ones? please?"

That's why Season 7 has been the hardest one for them to write. It is something they had to drag out and expand on to.

Did you know that before they started shooting Season 7 they announced who would be writing which scripts in Season 8? I bet they had that shit all nailed down. Every episode next season will be wish-fulfillment fanservice and badass shit. Can't wait.

ZOONAMI

My guess is he promised Cersei he'd submit to her and have his death carried out if she'd agree too help fight the Night King and if they survive.

I don't think there was a point to the scene other than just someone other than Dany and Jon knowing they boned.

So did Tyrion flip on Dany during his meeting with
Cersei? The cut to the next scene, plus his sulking outside of Danny's bedroom later made it seem that way.

Also, if the Whitewalkers now have an undead dragon, and an undead Tormund Giantsbane, it's game over.

He ran towards castle black on top of the wall, tormund is fine.

jett

D-Member
Season 7 wasn't. Season 8 is. Remember, they went to HBO and said "we only have one more season, welp" and HBO said "c'mon, can we get two more shorter ones? please?"

That's why Season 7 has been the hardest one for them to write. It is something they had to drag out and expand on to.

Did you know that before they started shooting Season 7 they announced who would be writing which scripts in Season 8? I bet they had that shit all nailed down. Every episode next season will be wish-fulfillment fanservice and badass shit. Can't wait.

Are you talking about season 8 or season 7 there? :p

I mean, we'll see, but I've really lost all hope on D&D as writers.

typist

Littlefinger doesn't go out begging for his life. Littlefinger never even works his way into such an awful position. Littlefinger is supposed to take control of the North somehow and then get swarmed by the undead in a surprise attack that he (rightly) never believed was coming. He ain't supposed to get outplayed by some meddling kids like some Scooby Doo villain

Jorah telling Dany to fly north was his last move. When she says she'll sail with Jon, he knew. He knew.
That whole scene was literally just Jon trying to invent a rationalisation for a romantic boat trip and Jorah trying to cockblock lol

fuzzyset

Tyrion is burning with jealousy but I don't by his character being stupid enough for that jealousy to become a major plot point.

Best theory I saw over on Reddit was

I think Tyrion promised Cersei's child to be the next heir to throne, since he believes Daenerys will have no children. That's why Cersei then agreed to fight, so that the Lannister house will stay in power. He thinks he can get this done by continuing to push democracy for the new empire. I think that's also why they showed Tyrion in the Jon/Dany scene because he might be worried that his plan will be ruined if Dany actually has a child.

I also think Tyrion is starting to see Dany's flaws. Her fire and blood side is hard to control.

ryseing

Are you talking about season 8 or season 7 there? :p

I mean, we'll see, but I've really lost all hope on D&D as writers.

The real shame is that there were some great individual moments throughout the season, but the connective tissue supporting them was so weak. Like, Tyrion/Cersei? Great moment. Unfortunately it required maximum fuckery to make happen.

Best theory I saw over on Reddit was

I also think Tyrion is starting to see Dany's flaws. Her fire and blood side is hard to control.

Oh shit that's right

It was last episode(A couple episodes ago?) where Tyrion was whining about succession and what would happen after Dany. And Dany called him out on bullshit.

Pkaz01

As much as I loved Arya quick drawing the dagger on that fucker, this is absolutely true. That scene would have had an impact if Arya had drew her sword, only to hand it to Sansa who offed him while echoing that statement.

Only thing I'm not sure on (rusty on my book knowledge) is if Arya and Sansa were ever taught that like Jon, Robb, Bran and Theon were, seeing as they weren't present when Ned said that in the book or the show.

After all they have been through I don't think they care as long as they get what they need. It's like if either one of them were in King's Landing and Cersei though they'd be honorable because they were Ned's kids. Both of them would have played her

jett

D-Member
The real shame is that there were some great individual moments throughout the season, but the connective tissue supporting them was so weak. Like, Tyrion/Cersei? Great moment. Unfortunately it required maximum fuckery to make happen.

Yeah good moments linked together by some brainless stuff.

If the previous seasons were adaptations of a fantasy novel, this show now feels like an adaptation of a fantasy comic book.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
this season went from shitlist to A tier thanks to Littlefinger's pathetic little blood squirt.

Fucking finally.

Aidan Gillen did great in that scene with his reactions to everything. Especially that final "of shit" look when Bran recites exactly how he betrayed Ned.

The execution of Littlefinger was so dumb. Like, they didn't have any proof and if he had just denied everything he could have escaped that situation (assuming it was a fair trial), but no, they had to make him confess, desperately asking for forgiveness. I know it had the surprising effect, but LF should be smarter than that, being outsmarted by three kids.

Also, Arya being the headswoman wasn't really well thought as one of Ned's first lesson is that "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword". They made the Sansa/Arya duo as something good but it was against the Stark's tradition.

Three kids who are revered by the Northmen as Starks. Littlefinger had absolutely no play to make.

I also don't think it went against Stark tradition. Arya, Sansa and Bran clearly planned that scene. The sentence was made before the trial, and it was made by all three of them in planning it, it wasn't just Sansa in deciding his fate.

Sorry if it already discussed but how Cerci could plan Euron's aparent betrayal if neither one of them knew that they would bring a zombie to the meeting? Just "invent something to bail out" thing? That scene did not looked much like Euron behavior, much less if there was something more mundane than a zombie.

Tuck

Pretty good episode - probably the best of the season, though thats a pretty low bar.

Jon is named Aegon - I wonder what this means for the book Aegon. Either he's a fake as some have surmised or Jon will be named something else. Interesting.

Kind of funny how that whole fetch quest totally fucked them over by giving the Night King a dragon that can destroy the wall. 100% gonna be different in the books, I'm certain of it. Martin didn't introduce the concept of the horn of winter for nothing.

Winterfell plotline was meh but at least it resolved well and kind of retroactively made the previous episodes (somewhat, a tiny bit) less shitty. I don't think Littlefinger will go out quite so pathetically in the books, but we'll see.

I started watching this show because I thought it would show me the ending that Martin had planned, but its pretty clear now thats not happening. I'd say huge swaths of this season were entirely original. We might get to ice dragon, at least.

A shame he'll never finish the books. Hopefully TWoW comes out at least.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sorry if it already discussed but how Cerci could plan Euron's aparent betrayal if neither one of them knew that they would bring a zombie to the meeting? Just "invent something to bail out" thing? That scene did not looked much like Euron behavior, much less if there elas something more mundane than a zombie.
They probably planned to have him publicly bail out on the meeting to lower Dany's guard with regards to his fleet (and the Golden Company). The whole zombie thing was just a convenient excuse.

Tuck

So the wall getting destroyed like nothing had something to do with low budget or out of ideas?

I donno, I thought it was pretty cool.

At this point anyone that still insists the plot in the books will be similar to the show is just an idiot.
Yep. If anything this season cements just how much the books will differ.

That is to say, almost entirely.

I don't think it was jealousy so much as disapproving

But like 2 episodes ago it seemed like he wanted it to happen?

jett

D-Member
Tyrion has been such a useless buffoon this season. Has he done anything right? Has he been good for anything? I reject the notion that is what awaits Tyrion in the books. Idiotic plans and worthless advice.

Tuck

i liked how the sex scene was done while bran was telling us how they were related

so we'd all be creeped out

Creeped out? More like so a million fans would all climax simultaneously.

Which to me is awesome. I get two outcomes based around the same exact premise brought to life. Pretty geeked about it.

And one of those conclusions might actually be good...!

Well, except, you know:

it doesn't matter how much the books and tv show differ

when one will end and the other wont.

*sob*

Tyrion has been such a useless buffoon this season. Has he done anything right? Has he been good for anything? I reject the notion that is what awaits Tyrion in the books. Idiotic plans and worthless advice.

No, you're right. Total disappointment, unfortunately. A waste of an amazing character.

I imagine we'll see a more unhinged Book 2 level Tyrion. He was very good at being the hand of the king. This isn't a job he's inexperienced in.

Kind of funny how that whole fetch quest totally fucked them over by giving the Night King a dragon that can destroy the wall. 100% gonna be different in the books, I'm certain of it. Martin didn't introduce the concept of the horn of winter for nothing.

Speaking of which, didn't Edd and Sam and the Night's Watch guys find a conspicuous horn with some dragon glass back in season 2? I always wondered if the show would do anything with the horn of winter or Euron's dragon horn, but this late into the show, apparently not.

Tuck

Speaking of which, didn't Edd and Sam and the Night's Watch guys find a conspicuous horn with some dragon glass back in season 2? I always wondered if the show would do anything with the horn of winter or Euron's dragon horn, but this late into the show, apparently not.

They did, yeah - just like in the books. Its unclear if that horn will be the horn of winter in the books (personally, I think its likely), but I guess they decided not to revisit it in the show.

Massa

Yep. If anything this season cements just how much the books will differ.

That is to say, almost entirely.

Jon and Dany will team up.

They will lose a dragon to the Night King.

There will be a remaining player in Westeros that remains a threat to them.

Sansa will turn on Littlefinger.

Doesn't sound entirely different to me.

jett

D-Member
No, you're right. Total disappointment, unfortunately. A waste of an amazing character.

I imagine we'll see a more unhinged Book 2 level Tyrion. He was very good at being the hand of the king. This isn't a job he's inexperienced in.

Book Tyrion should be legendary as Dany's hand. If we ever see him in that position.

I'll be honest, wasn't expecting the Aegon reveal.

My biggest problem with this episode was at the start with the Unsullied, how the fuck did Grey Worm manage to get out of Casterly Rock and march all the way to King's Landing like he did?

Also nice to see the Jaime heelturn but it happening only under an empty threat of execution was lame.

Thought we finally got rid of Euron and his teleporting fleet but I guess not, nice to see they greatly overvalued the Golden Company like we all expected them to.

typist

I can really see Cersei winning this tbh. Once everyone defeats the Night King or whatever they just turn around and get shanked. You can bet the Iron Bank will pay for a lot more of those ballistas and the last remaining dragon won't be able to dodge a flurry of them. Then Jaime or Tyrion (probably Jaime) will be pissed enough to kill her and then probably kill himself. Davos is left wondering what the fuck happened so he gathers a crowd of survivors and declares Gendry as king lol

Also wtf is with that laser beam from the wight dragon.

Have you ever laughed and coughed at the same time? I did at the ending of the episode from a combination of the transition from Bran talking about Jon into his banging his aunt and then into Ice Viserion.

Why would he be named Aegon when Rhaegar already had one of those?

Tuck

Jon and Dany will team up.

They will lose a dragon to the Night King.

There will be a remaining player in Westeros that remains a threat to them.

Sansa will turn on Littlefinger.

Doesn't sound entirely different to me.

Telling a story in broad strokes is why this season was mostly terrible.

You missed:
Lady Stoneheart
Potential Northern rebelion against Ramsay
Potentially fake Aegon and the blackfires
That Dornish prince dying by dragon fire, potentially screwing up the dornish/targarean alliance
Jamie's souring relationship with Cersei (which to be fair the show finally touched on here albeit for a different reason)
Victarion
The horn that can potentially enslave dragons
the horn that can bring down the wall
Whatever the fuck is going on in Oldtown
The faceless men not being so kind to deserters
Rickon Stark
Benjen Stark

Plus character interactions, motivations and relationships actually being believable.

So yeah, i'd say its going to be really fucking different.

But in the end, the white walkers will obviously lose so I guess theres no point in following the story...?

[EDIT: This post was more snarky than I meant it to be]

Top Bottom