• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Slater

Banned
No, the fan knows what they're reading and it is why his next book is so wildly anticipated. We enjoy crafted quality literature, arcs and themes, of which we won't get from a Sanderson.
Pft. You miss all the rage over Brienne wasting her time on a random goose chase for a whole book. Or that dullard Quentin? Yeah man people loved his arc(lol)? Penny? Or literally anything to do with the knot? Fuck no.

How bout all the complaints about wasted pages on food, misspellings and mind numbing repeats of fraces. Yes yes "words are winds" we fucking get it. I dunno about you but adding "nuncle" to the lexicon and then having every character suddenly have it as mainstay in there vocabulary after never being a thing really really made me apperciate how it... uh..filled pages? Tied in to "arcs" about family?

Having the 3 main characters plodd along doing jack shit really got the blood pumping tho.

Does it really qualify as well crafted, when it's basically just the author doing whatever and ignoring his editors cause he can? Maybe to some I guess

they're really shitting all over Dany's party in these last couple episodes but I suspect this is just to make it look like its hard for her since she clearly is gonna win this game.

entertaining episode. good God are Sansa and Bran actors dogshit though. They somehow make Jon Snow and Daenerys look impressive.

that scene between both robots was pretty bad.

they're really shitting all over Dany's party in these last couple episodes but I suspect this is just to make it look like its hard for her since she clearly is gonna win this game.

entertaining episode. good God are Sansa and Bran actors dogshit though. They somehow make Jon Snow and Daenerys look impressive.

I feel like all the Stark kids have been asked to play versions of the characters the writers forgot they didn't actually put the work into establishing. It's become a real problem for me with a lot of the characters, with the writers ignoring the process of those character coming to terms with things/dealing with information and their emotions and then rolling that into their personalities going forward. Instead they just seem to jerk from one personality to the next with little in-between to show the development.

I feel like all the Stark kids have been asked to play versions of the characters the writers forgot they didn't actually put the work into establishing. It's become a real problem for me with a lot of the characters, with the writers ignoring the process of those character coming to terms with things/dealing with information and their emotions and then rolling that into their personalities going forward. Instead they just seem to jerk from one personality to the next with little in-between to show the development.

for sure. Arya and Bran are the most glaring examples of this.

Jon Snow has progressed pretty naturally. But I think the rest of the living Stark kids have just been putting in such inconsistent and frankly, bad performances most of the time.

Chumley

Banned
for sure. Arya and Bran are the most glaring examples of this.

Jon Snow has progressed pretty naturally. But I think the rest of the living Stark kids have just been putting in such inconsistent and frankly, bad performances most of the time.

Bran has barely had to do anything but Sansa is very hit or miss. Nobody is worse than Emilia Clarke though, even Kit Harington came off like a seasoned actor next to her.

SteveWD40

So, with where we are right now, many of the Great Houses / Armies are gone:

Stormlands / Baratheon: Some died with Stannis, not sure where the rest ended up (Renly had 10's of thousands?) Who rules this place now? used to be a great power...

Dorne: seemingly all gone at Sea

Tyrell: killed by what looked like 10K Lannisters off-screen

Riverlands: Freys dead, not sure what became of their armies

Vale: all up North it seems

Turin

Banned
Emilia almost seemed to be nervously trying to dominate the scene. It reminded me of Hugh Jackman's scenes with Gyllenhaal in Prisoners.

Qurupeke

I found it a bit more interesting than the last two episodes, but it was still weak at times. Specifically, the Daenerys scenes seem kind of lacking. Maybe that's their point though, to show that she's a disorganized mess. In any case, I'm kind of glad with her second loss, she was kind of overpowered. Not sure how I feel about teleporting Euron and his instant fleet though. And Jaime continues to be the best character, at least when he doesn't fuck with Cersei.

Also, I fucking laughed at the Bran scene. I'd give everything to hear Sansa's inner thoughts on the whole thing. Like, her long lost brother returns and he's a weirdo that oddly reminds me of Jaden Smith. lmao

Aiii

So not worth it
The thing with the Sansa/Bran scene was weird in that she was totally taken aback by him knowing she wore a white dress.

You could pretty much 100% guess that and be right. Should have let the "gasp, how did you know?" expression happen by him knowing the location of the wedding.

it's also to make the Dany/Jon team up more necessary and meaningful.

TheContact

Bran has barely had to do anything but Sansa is very hit or miss. Nobody is worse than Emilia Clarke though, even Kit Harington came off like a seasoned actor next to her.

I thought emilia did well this episode. It's Arya that is doing a terrible job imo. Her one saving grace this season was her interaction with Nymeria and even then it still wasn't great. Her encounter with hot pie was super cringeworthy

Pft. You miss all the rage over Brienne wasting her time on a random goose chase for a whole book. Or that dullard Quentin? Yeah man people loved his arc(lol)? Penny? Or literally anything to do with the knot? Fuck no.

How bout all the complaints about wasted pages on food, misspellings and mind numbing repeats of fraces. Yes yes "words are winds" we fucking get it. I dunno about you but adding "nuncle" to the lexicon and then having every character suddenly have it as mainstay in there vocabulary after never being a thing really really made me apperciate how it... uh..filled pages? Tied in to "arcs" about family?

Having the 3 main characters plodd along doing jack shit really got the blood pumping tho.

Does it really qualify as well crafted, when it's basically just the author doing whatever and ignoring his editors cause he can? Maybe to some I guess

Haha, fucking "nuncle". That definitely bothered the hell out of me.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
euron has managed to sail around the continent twice, lannisters marched from casterly rock to highgarden, after jaime apparently met them somewhere (wasn't someone supposed to be sieging king's landing?) and meera has dragged bran all over the place, but apparently the night king is still chilling out somewhere, despite his army always being seen marching. makes sense.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I had no problem with "nuncle" because only ironborn used it so it was fine for me if it was a regional word. Jaime using it twice in AFfC and Tyrion using it once in ADwD was dumb though. Nobody else used it.

Sotha_Sil

Is it possible Bran was looking into the future to see another wedding with Sansa? I did like Tyrion inquiring about her and quickly telling Jon it was unconsummated.

Melisandre and Varys interaction was the most interesting to me. She wants to go back East, but then come back for one last trip and to die. I'm curious to see what she's babbling on about.

Another intriguing detail was Tyrion and Dany being so hung up on Davos' "Jon took a dagger to the heart." It could easily pass for a figure of speech, but she correctly gleaned that there's more to it than that. I doubt they'll keep Melisandre's presence a secret for too much longer.

hoos30

Why is it that they're seemingly rushing this show to an end?

It's the biggest TV show right now, a cultural phenomenon and it's popularity is always rising?

Why not have a full 10 episode run this year and let things breath? I'm sure HBO would be more than happy to fund more episodes? What are the major actors doing outside of GoT?

Why are D&D already planning their next show when they should be focusing on living up to monumental expectations?

Better planning and a few more episodes and I believe a lot of grievances had with the last few seasons could be remedied. Many arise from cutting corners. Euron now is just a vessel to forward this 'war' to a conclusion.

With filming in multiple locations and massive amounts of post-production work, they don't have a week to spare. They have a large budget, but not an infinite one.

Dmax3901

Didn't Sansa like hear Bran in the tree or some shit during the wedding? Isn't that why she's like oh shit dude I heard you in the tree I remember now!

Yeah Euron once again teleporting and obliterating these ships somehow (where were his ships hiding this time, there's no damn fog!) was super jarring. The battle felt rushed as well which was obviously deliberate but I dunno, doesn't exactly make for good watching.

Highgarden reminded me of Meridian in Horizon: ZD, a painted backdrop, no substance to it. Shame. Also Bronn shows up out of nowhere?

SummitAve

Banned

It's the biggest TV show right now, a cultural phenomenon and it's popularity is always rising?

Why not have a full 10 episode run this year and let things breath? I'm sure HBO would be more than happy to fund more episodes? What are the major actors doing outside of GoT?

Why are D&D already planning their next show when they should be focusing on living up to monumental expectations?

Better planning and a few more episodes and I believe a lot of grievances had with the last few seasons could be remedied. Many arise from cutting corners. Euron now is just a vessel to forward this 'war' to a conclusion.

I feel like so many of the characters and storylines had been spinning their wheels (because of where the source material left them off and now the lack of it) for the last couple seasons that I've been mostly okay with the rush, it feels refreshing. This latest episode felt like they pumped the brakes a little to let these important meetings breath.

Yeah I liked that scene with Jaime, one final middle finger before she dies.
Is it possible Bran was looking into the future to see another wedding with Sansa? I did like Tyrion inquiring about her and quickly telling Jon it was unconsummated.

Melisandre and Varys interaction was the most interesting to me. She wants to go back East, but then come back for one last trip and to die. I'm curious to see what she's babbling on about.

Another intriguing detail was Tyrion and Dany being so hung up on Davos' "Jon took a dagger to the heart." It could easily pass for a figure of speech, but she correctly gleaned that there's more to it than that. I doubt they'll keep Melisandre's presence a secret for too much longer.
I can't remember if Dany has heard the Azor Ahai prophecy or if they fully merging it with the Prince That Was Promised. But that could give her pause even if not exactly accurate.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
but really, what have the dornish and tyrell armies being doing? i thought they were supposed to siege king's landing. surely they would have had the time to get there by now.

and who rules dorne now?

Chumley

Banned

Emilia Clarke has already talked about how ready she is to move on. She thinks she has a massive Hollywood career ahead of her. Lol.

ido

i the only one who saw the mountain and thought he looked like fucking shredder.

Yh67LbF.jpg

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Emilia Clarke has already talked about how ready she is to move on. She thinks she has a massive Hollywood career ahead of her. Lol.

i don't know about massive, but a decent one wouldn't be surprising. being a great actress isn't a requirement.

SteveWD40

i don't know about massive, but a decent one wouldn't be surprising. being a great actress isn't a requirement.

Yeah, producers / studios know that she has a fanbase / following just from being in Thrones. Terminator flopping won't have been blamed on her alone and she will be given roles just off the back of her current exposure.

I doubt she will be up there with Chastain / Adams but she can carve out a career I am sure.

AFFC and ADWD lacked proper resolutions (the battles for Winterfell and Meereen), needed a lot more editing, suffered from awkwardly split storylines, had too many storylines, and took far too long to come out, but they we're still pretty good books somehow. They have some of GRRM's best writing, like Septon Meribald's speech, and the northern storylines and even Meereen storylines post-Dany are excellent. They're certainly flawed, but the writing and the logic of the world (including travel times) is much, much better than the show.

I'm going to give the show the benefit of the doubt and assume that Greyjoy fleet at Casterly Rock was just more Greyjoy ships stationed in normal Pike waters and not Euron teleporting around the continent.

Man I can't stand Daenerys on this show, imo she's the biggest/worst casualty in the book>show adaptation. They took an interesting, highly likeable (ymmv) character and made her into a super boring imperious ice queen with no range. When I find myself yelling "shut up" at the screen when a character I'm supposed to root for is talking, i think you done fucked up. I don't think Emilia Clarke is terrible (nor great) but she's being given so little to work with.

Chumley

Banned
I hope Cersei survives this season tbh. Lena Headey is way too good.

One of the few legit great actors left playing major roles along with Dinklage. NCW is very good but has been utterly shafted on material ever since S3, Jaime is second only to Stannis on botched book to screen character adaptations.

Cpt Lmao

Can't wait to see how the Tyrell army somehow gets fucked over despite having the largest standing military in the series ��

Oh what a surprise.

And dare I say it, is Bran being corrupted? Will he decide humanity isn't worth saving and become the Great Other?

I gave up on the show having any semblance of logistical realism long ago but yeah Euron's teleporting fleet and the Tyrell army apparently vanishing while Jaime takes Highgarden with incredible ease were some pretty serious failures of writing imo. This season has not been very good so far.

Man I can't stand Daenerys on this show, imo she's the biggest/worst casualty in the book>show adaptation. They took an interesting, highly likeable (ymmv) character and made her into a super boring imperious ice queen with no range. When I find myself yelling "shut up" at the screen when a character I'm supposed to root for is talking, i think you done fucked up. I don't think Emilia Clarke is terrible (nor great) but she's being given so little to work with.

She's not any better in the books.

For what its worth I feel like she's really stepped up her game since arriving in Westeros.

The Tyrells only have the Redwyne fleet and the largest army in the realm. It makes complete sense that there were roughly 15 soliders at Highgarden.

Top Bottom