• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

One of the few legit great actors left playing major roles along with Dinklage. NCW is very good but has been utterly shafted on material ever since S3, Jaime is second only to Stannis on botched book to screen character adaptations.

I did think that NCW did well last night and finally had something to work with for a change. That said its still infuriating that they've botched his arc so badly.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Man I can't stand Daenerys on this show, imo she's the biggest/worst casualty in the book>show adaptation. They took an interesting, highly likeable (ymmv) character and made her into a super boring imperious ice queen with no range. When I find myself yelling "shut up" at the screen when a character I'm supposed to root for is talking, i think you done fucked up. I don't think Emilia Clarke is terrible (nor great) but she's being given so little to work with.
This is exactly how Dany is in the books as well. She's a deconstruction of the Chosen One trope. In fact, they have white washed her too much imo, but they also did that with Tyrion and Varys and loads of other characters.

Now that Olenna has confessed to Joffrey's murder, it gets Sansa off the hook with Cersei. Sansa and Cersei going to team up?
Cersei won't believe that. Cersei will say that it was the mad words of a woman who is about to die. One final way to confuse them. Jamie will believe Olenna though.

jfkgoblue

I think it's fairly obvious that in the books, Cersei will be dead at this point and it will be Aegon on the Iron Throne. It will feel much more natural to be more even at this point because he will have Dorne and possibly the Tyrells after they figure out that Cersei set Margery up.

D&D decided to skip Aegon's storyline and this is the result.

This is exactly how Dany is in the books as well. She's a deconstruction of the Chosen One trope.

That may be but she's still an interesting, likeable character who shows empathy and humanity and more than 1 mood. She is nothing like her portrayal on the show. I'm questioning what books people read when I see responses like this or that she wasn't likeable in the books. Same with Sansa.

Dany

Banned
Quite enjoyed the most recent episode. Some damn good intrigue. FINALLY ICE AND FIRE MEET! And it honestly was as tense as I anticipated.

jett

D-Member
I think it's fairly obvious that in the books, Cersei will be dead at this point and it will be Aegon on the Iron Throne. It will feel much more natural to be more even at this point because he will have Dorne and possibly the Tyrells after they figure out that Cersei set Margery up.

D&D decided to skip Aegon's storyline and this is the result.

I think there's no doubt that whatever GURM is cooking will be more interesting than the soupy mess D&D has prepared.

Although Cersei will never be queen in the books, I rolled with it in last year's finale. I can't roll with what's going on right now. Cersei is supposed to be a class A fuckup.

I think there's no doubt that whatever GURM is cooking will be more interesting than the soupy mess D&D has prepared.

Although Cersei will never be queen in the books, I rolled with it in last year's finale. I can't roll with what's going on right now. Cersei is supposed to be a class A fuckup.

This is my biggest annoyance right now.

Zabka

The travel/time skips don't usually bother me but if Euron is on the Silence at Casterly Rock he better have the damn Wind Waker with him.

Dany

Banned
The fact that everyone knows that Jon is Ice and Fire by himself, it didn't mean as much IMO.

Yeah it does. Dramatic Irony goes a long way. Dany saying "I am the last targaryen" is hilarious.

My issue with cersie is how crazy evil she is right now. We all hate her, as we did Ramsey Bolton, we know how it's going to end for her.

Cpt Lmao

Quite enjoyed the most recent episode. Some damn good intrigue. FINALLY ICE AND FIRE MEET! And it honestly was as tense as I anticipated.

Not sure if this is the case. Part of me thinks Bran is Ice and Daenarys is fire. With Jon set to be the peacekeeper between them.

jfkgoblue

I think he/she meant Jon as Ice, and Dany as Fire, ergo Ice and Fire.
Yeah, of course, but when Mel said it, it didn't really mean much because us as viewers already know that Jon is Ice and Fire, in multiple ways.

His parentage obviously is ice and fire, but the fact that he died on the ice to be resurrected by fire as well.

Yeah it does. Dramatic Irony goes a long way. Dany saying "I am the last targaryen" is hilarious.

My issue with cersie is how crazy evil she is right now. We all hate her, as we did Ramsey Bolton, we know how it's going to end for her.

Biggest issue with Cersei is how she is a complete idiot that somehow became a brilliant tactician the past 2 seasons.

Man I can't stand Daenerys on this show, imo she's the biggest/worst casualty in the book>show adaptation. They took an interesting, highly likeable (ymmv) character and made her into a super boring imperious ice queen with no range. When I find myself yelling "shut up" at the screen when a character I'm supposed to root for is talking, i think you done fucked up. I don't think Emilia Clarke is terrible (nor great) but she's being given so little to work with.
She's definitely my least favorite character from the books. I had to fight the urge to skim some of her chapters in book 5. I think the show version is better, imho (and even then, I don't want to see her sitting on the Throne at the end).

TRios Zen

This is my biggest annoyance right now.

While I agree with both of you regarding Cersei, I think I would be able to appreciate her character more if her winning in the show wasn't so "written into existence". Right now, everything just works out for her because it needs to. Perhaps if it was more organic it wouldn't be as jarring for me.

Yeah, of course, but when Mel said it, it didn't really mean much because us as viewers already know that Jon is Ice and Fire.
I do honestly think Melisandre meant ice & fire to be Jon & Dany. Jon Snow s also ice and fire but him and Dany, while having an disproportionate amount of fire, is still ice and fire.

jfkgoblue

I do honestly think Melisandre meant ice & fire to be Jon & Dany. Jon Snow s also ice and fire but him and Dany, while having an disproportionate amount of fire, is still ice and fire.
I am probably (read:definitely) going way too in depth with this, but Jon is 50/50 Ice and Fire, the perfect split, Jon and Dany is 75 fire/25 ice.

Tiktaalik

Last season when they first showed House Tarly's Horn Hill I was a bit shocked by how absurdly large and grandiose it seemed. It seemed like a bit of an error to me to make the estate so incredible but maybe there was an intention to indicate that House Tarley is an extremely significant house in Westeros, and one that could be capable of matching the Tyrells in terms of wealth and military power.

jfkgoblue

Mel doesn't know that.
Yeah but us as viewers do, it's kinda like in the books with "a maid of three and ten". Like I said I am probably going way too in depth, and it was hardly the worst part of the episode(Fuck show Jaime so much) but it was a minor annoyance to me for some reason.

Are non-book people aware of Jon Snow's parentage? I can't remember for the life of me if it's spelled out at any point or if we are waiting for something more to come.

Violet_0

Banned
Also yeah Jamie was ruined ever since the rape "it's not rape" scene in season 4. Shame.

Jamie is still one of the best characters in the show. It's a joy to watch Nikolaj Coster-Waldau whenever he's on screen. I was never really bothered by that scene because D&D clearly just mishandled the source material

Jamie is still one of the best characters in the show. It's a joy to watch Nikolaj Coster-Waldau whenever he's on screen. I was never really bothered by that scene because D&D clearly just mishandled the source material
Mishandled is the understatement of the century. And yeah NWC is great but Jamie is not a good show character and hasn't been for seasons.

bigJP

Are non-book people aware of Jon Snow's parentage? I can't remember for the life of me if it's spelled out at any point or if we are waiting for something more to come.

it has been hinted indirectly in the shows but hbo has a graph indicating his parentage

But Mel didn't bring Ice and Fire together, they were already together, which is my point. She just diluted the Ice part.

I understand what you're saying. Even though ice and fire were already brought together in the physical manifestation of Jon, Melisandre did still bring it together herself when she brought ice and fire together with fire. That is still ice and fire.

Also for all we know, Melisandre thinks Jon is all ice.

jfkgoblue

The show confirms that his mother is Lyanna, but doesn't outright say that Rhaegar is the father, but it is also pretty much confirmed.

The show confirms that his mother is Lyanna, but doesn't outright say that Rhaegar is the father, but it is also pretty much confirmed.

it is 100% confirmed
download.0.png

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
it is 100% confirmed

I feel like you linked me an optical illusion

The opening scene of the season was Bran seeing the White walker army south of the wall was it not?

The opening scene of the season was Arya slaying face at the Twins, but that was the next one. Except it wasn't south of the Wall, or at least, there was no reason given to assume so. It was still north of the Wall. And if by some cosmic fluke it was in fact south of the Wall, then Edd and the rest of the gang -- not to mention Meera and Bran himself -- are all remarkably blind and exceptionally fortunate, because Bran was having that vision at the Wall.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Spelled out for idiots? No. If someone can figure out x+y=5 when they know y=3? Yes.

Is Bran's actor really bad, or did they just decide to totally change him with no warning? It's both, right?

That bothered me as much as the scene where Arya barely interacted with Hot Pie.

Also, the Euron teleporting is getting ridiculous, and I guess Highgarden didn't have an army somehow??

Top Bottom