• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

Jamie is still one of the best characters in the show. It's a joy to watch Nikolaj Coster-Waldau whenever he's on screen. I was never really bothered by that scene because D&D clearly just mishandled the source material
Yeah he is a great actor, but his character is a shadow of his book counterpart ever since Season 4.

Haha, no, no, it's fine. What I meant was that that picture broke my brain a little bit. :p

yeah, it's an officially HBO released diagram and they definitely just made it more complicated looking than it needs to be. Instead of cutting straight to the point they kinda wanted to blend it in with everything else supposed to be known.

Is Bran's actor really bad, or did they just decide to totally change him with no warning? It's both, right?

That bothered me as much as the scene where Arya barely interacted with Hot Pie.

Also, the Euron teleporting is getting ridiculous, and I guess Highgarden didn't have an army somehow??

I agree with everything here. I really do hope Arya & Bran don't continue behaving like antisocial weirdos for the rest of the season.

edit: sorry for double post

Yeah he is a great actor, but his character is a shadow of his book counterpart ever since Season 4.

Why is it taking Jaime so long to flip in the show though? The events in the book are the same, yeah? Cersei is the same, horrible person and the difference is Jaime realizes that earlier on? What's different about him here? Wtf is keeping him resilient to Cersei's evil claws?

kazinova

Man, how fast was the siege of Highgarden that they didn't have time to send ravens to Dragonstone. There's just so much happening too fast. It's taking the weight out of the show.

jfkgoblue

Why is it taking Jaime so long to flip in the show though? The events in the book are the same, yeah? Cersei is the same, horrible person and the difference is Jaime realizes that earlier on? What's different about him here? Wtf is keeping him resilient to Cersei's evil claws?
Not exactly, for one he doesn't rape her in front of Joffrey's body, it's consensual. Second he never goes to Dorne and watches Myrcella die. And the biggest difference is that in the show Jaime never admits to Tyrion that Tysha wasn't a prostitute so we never get the "fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon boy for all I know" line.

I hate how Littlefinger talks. What a hideous character. Every time he whispers his wise shit, I can almost smell the mint leaves in his breath and that makes me hate him a bit more.

I hate it says Rhaegar abducted Lyanna when Oberyn told the truth.

https://youtu.be/Pxv9ui8O34M?t=28
It also doesn't point out that Aegon & Rhaenys are Jon's (half) siblings, so yeah, even the official released shit has errors.
I think it's both. He's gone full emo but doesn't have the range to pull it off.
He keeps this emo look even in the damn photoshoots
000253184hr_social1.jpg

Not exactly, for one he doesn't rape her in front of Joffrey's body, it's consensual. Second he never goes to Dorne and watches Myrcella die. And the biggest difference is that in the show Jaime never admits to Tyrion that Tysha wasn't a prostitute so we never get the "fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moon boy for all I know" line.

How did Myrcella die in the book? Also, is the line "you're a hateful woman. why do the gods have me love a hateful woman" in the book also?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Jaime still resisting the flip is comical at this point. Saw folks talking up his inevitable impending breakup in Season 4's pre-release fandom chatter. That was three years ago. Season 5 was like. "Cersei is off the rocker now. I bet she made up Jaime's reason to go to Dorne. When he finds out, he flips. Gonna be lit, fam." Season 6 was like. "So Jaime's rumored to head to the Riverlands this year, right? Oh shit, fam. It's happening." Season 7's first episode. "Did you notice Jaime's stare? He knows she's nuts. It's happening, fam."

Fam... Jaime really likes fam.

Speevy

Banned
I just realized that by having Littlefinger and Olenna reveal in season 4 that they killed Joffrey, they spoiled a potentially cool surprise in having Olenna tell the audience for the first time.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I just realized that by having Littlefinger and Olenna reveal in season 4 that they killed Joffrey, they spoiled a potentially cool surprise in having Olenna tell the audience for the first time.

Eh, technically yes, but I wouldn't trade the greatness of Olenna casually dropping it mid-sentence on Margaery and the boat ride with Sansa and Baelish. Both those scenes were aces. It spoils a potential revelation here but this is still very solid because it informs Jaime.

Which will in turn be used if and when he interacts with Tyrion again, perhaps. He knows Tyrion killed Tywin, and that will still weigh heavily, no doubt. But after Tyrion killed their father, I reckon he had doubts as to whether he was innocent of Joffrey's murder. Now those doubts are put to rest. If they do reunite, and if there is to be any peace between them, this is pivotal.

She doesn't, she just gets her ear chopped off because Arienne is an idiot.
Oh, jeez. This Arienne character didn't exist on the show either, apparently.
She hasn't died.

Spend the time you post on GAF and go read instead.
That is a very good idea, and I started reading the first book between episodes but now I am thinking I will commit to reading a song of ice and fire, but after this season is over.
BTW, Could they foreshadow the whole R+L = J thing any more?

"I'm not a stark"
"I'm not a stark"
"I'm the only Targaryen"
"I'm a bastard"
"you've been talking to Tyrion."
"he is my Hand, I should be talking to him"
"he loves to talk."
"we always enjoy what we're good at."
"i don't."

Dany then looks at Jon, maybe she remembers Ser Barristan telling her that her brother Rhaegar never enjoyed killing, after her brother Viserys told her that Rhaegar was very good at it?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'd be more concerned with inflicting The Long Night on poor Artisan. The longest winter between installments, with TWOW "hopefully in 2018, we'll see, xoxo" -- and with the promise of another long winter still to come.

Yeah, Jaime's refusal to flip is annoying. I also lol'ed at Jorah's easy cure of greyscale. I partly hope it comes back to bite them in the ass later, because that plot point felt so poorly handled. :lol

Speevy

Banned
BTW, Could they foreshadow the whole R+L = J thing any more?

"I'm not a stark"
"I'm not a stark"
"I'm the only Targaryen"
"I'm a bastard"

Not if they had Jon pull out his freshly forged Valyrian steel sword over the Targaryen theme playing and Dany's three dragons simultaneously bathed him in dragonfire. Not even if he emerged from that fire with the Targaryen symbol burned into his armor, eyes purple with snow-white hair. And even with all those things, it would still take him consummating his incestuous relationship with Dany while conquering Westeros on the back of dragon, intercut with Bran's visions of his father Rhaegar talking about the arrival of his son for it to be clear enough to us.

Perhaps though, even then, someone would ask "So Ned Stark had sex with his sister?"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I have a running theory that the greyscale subplot will be swept aside kind of frustratingly in the books, too, and all this "Patient Zero" theorycrafting is a whole bunch of nothing. But I would be surprised if it's so utterly swept in the books; there'll probably be more to it than a quick cure and a slap on Sam's wrist.

I don't want to sound too negative by the way; I'm actually a huge fan of the show. But it's easy to pick at the scabs, so-to-speak.

Who's hungry for meat pies?

Violet_0

Banned
Please don't make him read the last two books. He could just go to a wiki page and read that instead :p

I liked Dance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm probably the only person who enjoyed the Tyrion/Jorah road trip

the show better not kill Littlefinger yet. He's still supposed to face off with Varys at some point, integrant versus integrant. It's their destiny

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I liked Dance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm probably the only person who enjoyed the Tyrion/Jorah road trip

You aren't.

the show better not kill Littlefinger yet. He's still supposed to face off with Varys at some point, integrant versus integrant. It's their destiny

Unfortunately, I stopped betting on this years ago. Chaos versus Order, "only the ladder", all that. It was around 2015 I started getting the feeling that was fated to be their last conversation.

But maybe I'm wrong. Fateful meetings happen at plot speed now...!

So, about the preview. This scene here https://image.prntscr.com/image/M4AoLjx3Q7iHkHDGogTA7w.png (screenshot of the trailer)

Is that
Arya reaching Winterfell?

Yep.

Apparently some folks were confused as to her trajectory; IGN's Matt Fowler theorized she's in King's Landing during 7x03 or something. When I read that, I was like, "errr..."

Please don't make him read the last two books. He could just go to a wiki page and read that instead :p

lol

I am still on a game of thrones, it'll be a good while till I'm at the last 2.

I have to say though, it is interesting that hardcore fans complain about the books a lot too, because most show fans say how the show fell off after season 4, maybe earlier. how differently would they have taken it if the show was closer to the books at that point. would the show have been better or worse considering how the books are not (apparently) as acclaimed as the earlier ones?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
lol

I am still on a game of thrones, it'll be a good while till I'm at the last 2.

I have to say though, it is interesting that hardcore fans complain about the books a lot too, because most show fans say how the show fell off after season 4, maybe earlier. how differently would they have taken it if the show was closer to the books at that point. would the show have been better or worse considering how the books are not (apparently) as acclaimed as the earlier ones?

I read the books during and after Season 2. I was finished before Season 3 started. I lacked the book perspective prior to 3x01, but I've been a staunch believer in truncating the heck out of Books 4 and 5 ever since. It's not that I dislike them; I don't dislike any of the books, nor any of the seasons. And I am a traveler, an adventurer, a vagrant and a historian at heart, so I love worldbuilding and long meandering journeys. But they don't translate well cinematically and the show would have ran out of steam by now.

There were literally people on WatchersOnTheWall back in ~2013-14 who were saying Game of Thrones must run 12 seasons because there's no other decent way to do the books justice. That AFFC/ADWD would need to blend together (hey, they got that part right, at least) but they'd need at least three seasons, if not four.

I remember this because I told those people it would never happen. The stalling would be painfully obvious. The masses would lose interest. And who could blame them? I would watch the show -- and I would watch it decline. Both qualitatively and financially.

Granted, many fans believe what you said, that the show hasn't been as good since Season 4. Some even say Season 3. I respectfully disagree, with exception to Season 5 being notably weaker overall. But I don't believe for an instant that it would have made for better television if those two books were adapted more thoroughly. I really didn't need "the one where Daenerys has diarrhea" for an episode, to quote an admittedly-overused example.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have a running theory that the greyscale subplot will be swept aside kind of frustratingly in the books, too, and all this "Patient Zero" theorycrafting is a whole bunch of nothing. But I would be surprised if it's so utterly swept in the books; there'll probably be more to it than a quick cure and a slap on Sam's wrist.

I don't want to sound too negative by the way; I'm actually a huge fan of the show. But it's easy to pick at the scabs, so-to-speak.

Who's hungry for meat pies?
I bet there won't be a cure at all and JonCon will die from it.

Oh, jeez. This Arienne character didn't exist on the show either, apparently.

That is a very good idea, and I started reading the first book between episodes but now I am thinking I will commit to reading a song of ice and fire, but after this season is over.

"you've been talking to Tyrion."
"he is my Hand, I should be talking to him"
"he loves to talk."
"we always enjoy what we're good at."
"i don't."

Dany then looks at Jon, maybe she remembers Ser Barristan telling her that her brother Rhaegar never enjoyed killing, after her brother Viserys told her that Rhaegar was very good at it?

I had forgotten part about Rhaegar, but I took it more Jon like leading more so than killing.

I doubt that is Benjen, as someone said, he can't cross the wall.

Its funny to me that Jon saw the Night King in Hardhome, and in that time since has managed to fight a war with Ramsay, and then go to Dragonstone which is half the continent down, whilst the Night King is still mia.

Gigglepoo

A Song of Ice and Fire is like Harry Potter for me in that, the slower and more detailed the books become, the more I enjoy them. Feast and Dragons elevated ASoIaF from an excellent fantasy series to my all-time favorite.

My only major problem with the books is Nuncle. I hate nuncle! And I'm reading Queen of the Tearling now (quite good!) and one character calls her mom Maman. Cute family nicknames must end!

I bet there won't be a cure at all and JonCon will die from it.

He'll spread a greyscale plague in Oldtown.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Its funny to me that Jon saw the Night King in Hardhome, and in that time since has managed to fight a war with Ramsay, and then go to Dragonstone which is half the continent down, whilst the Night King is still mia.
The Night King is Moses.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Time slows north of the Wall. This was strongly implied in <made-up reference because I need to believe it's true and HBO has effectively confirmed it through supplemental material thanks to <secondary made-up reference because please, I really need this.>

Faddy

Banned

Book Jaime is garbage.

He has no redeeming features and is basically in a depression because she fucked someone else. Never mind that Robert had been screwing her for the duration of their marriage.

Oh woes is me, Moon Boy for all I know!!

Yawn.

No, we as book readers have surmised it. The show has not revealed Rhaegar to be Jon's father yet, only Lyanna as his mother. The average viewer has no idea about R+L=J unless they've seen it on the internet.

exactly. people here already know the shit because they discuss it daily on the internet but you need to get some proper clues in there for the regular tv viewer who doesn't spend his days obsessing over the show. it's not catering to the lowest common denominator, it's just some help.

Gigglepoo

Hey and what happened to Show Loras? Because in the books, he got his ass kicked and was on the verge of dying in Dragonstone, right?

He was getting his forehead carved in the sept when *BOOM*! Also, did you know he's gay? You might have missed that on the show. I think he was gay. Maybe. It's hard to tell. That was his only trait. Awesomely written character!

He was getting his forehead carved in the sept when *BOOM*! Also, did you know he's gay? You might have missed that on the show. I think he was gay. Maybe. It's hard to tell. That was his only trait. Awesomely written character!
Sure, if you believe those reports.

Nah, gay, really?

Last year I didn't pay much attention to GoT because of some real life issues, but yeah, I recall now lol

Top Bottom