• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

jfkgoblue

I have no problem with them not showing battles, per se, but the logic of how Jaime took Highgarden is just... nonexistent.
The Tyrell army just don't fight good ok.

Yeah it's lame af and all because they chose to ignore Aegon in the show. People complain about GRRM adding unnecessary characters, well at least Aegon being on the Iron Throne and being a credible threat to Dany is better than what the show is giving us.

They can't even blame it on that as they return to Jaime's book arc in season 6.
Well kinda, and then they fucked it up by not showing any remorse with edmure. And then he goes home at the last episode and you think OK finally he's gonna go back to season 3 show jaime. And then he waves off the Sept explosion and tommen's suicide. Gross.
They are going to pull a 'Jaime is good now!!!' in the final few episodes after reversing all his development and expect people to love it
Yep
Everyone looks like garbage this season because they all wear ugly black leather and fabric outfits and stand in black rooms with black furniture looking really serious. I know winter is here but it's not like all the tailors in Westeros took time off from designing stuff. The scene in 7x03 where Qyburn, Cersei, Jaime and Euron are standing in the throne room, all wearing black outfits, and then it cuts to the royal audience which consists of like 200 people all wearing black? Give me a break.
Yeah I don't get it. It makes sense for Olenna and Cersei because they're in mourning but for everyone else? Lol

Over/under 50% chance jaime kills (or attempts to kill) Cersei during the siege on king's landing because she goes crazier than normal.

And then d and d go "it's like poetry" and they sweep the emmys.

Well I thought Euron's battle was horribly cut but the Casterly Rock siege was decently done with the exception of the end with the teleporting armada. My only real issue with it was Tyrion saying they'd win because they were freed and the Lannisters were fighting out of fear but not mention the fact that the unsullied were bred for war.

They can't feel pain, but their strength inspired by the Greek Phalanx and therefore are kinda shit individually. That was always a core issue with Danys makeup, she doesn't have a good castle siege unit. Unsullied are much better suited on the field of battle or defense of a castle. Attacking a keep head on is a massive waste of a limited resource.

Parshias7

I am enjoying this season, but it is becoming more and more clear that since getting off the book material D&D have absolutely no fucking clue how to write strategy or a convincing war.

Dorne and Highgarden (oh, and the good Greyjoys) have been wiped out, both essentially off screen, both in a single battle each. No real details into how any of it happened, just 'Bad Guys showed up, won handily.'

One could argue that the Unsullied taking Casterly Rock was just a rehash of Meereen, but the explanation for why Tyrion might have been put in charge of building the sewers and why he'd put a secret entrance in made sense. Of course then invincible teleporting Greyjoys showed up to ruin everything, but fine.

Burt

What Cersei did to Ellaria and the Snake has some pretty close parallels to what Aerys did to Brother Stark and Father Stark.

So we've got the wildfire explosion

We've got the tie up the parents and children and kill them slowly in front of each other

What other Aerys boxes can we expect Cersei to check off?

Other than them both getting stuck by Jamie

ha ha double entendre ha ha

Faddy

Banned
I have no problem with them not showing battles, per se, but the logic of how Jaime took Highgarden is just... nonexistent.

Their bannermen did not show up with their retainers and knights leaving Highgarden undermanned to a full on Lannister fighting force.

Olenna thought she would have more time with the Unsullied hitting Casterly Rock.

Lack of soldiers, lack of commanders seems a reasonable explanation for Highgarden falling to the Lannister force.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I still think they can salvage show-Jaime. But they have to start like right now. And avoid any further "fuck everyone who isn't us!" scenes that make no sense. Hopefully use tyrions proven innocence as the issue that permanently separates them
Jaime: "Tyrion didn't kill Joffrey, Olenna did. We should forgive him."
Cersei: "I don't care, he still killed father."
Jaime: "You got a point. Wanna fuck?"

Joeytj

Banned
At this rate, Cerci will have to be murdered. That's really the only way she's ever going to be stopped if she keeps on winning like this.

On top of that, this all seems designed to force Dany to flee to the north regardless of her stated aims.

I'm seriously beginning to worry about Sam. Dude's flying too close to the sun every episode. Steals his dad's sword, steals maester books, steals Jorah's skin. Dude's gonna get caught sooner or later.

Yeah, but that's what's so frustrating about the story so far. Up until Season 5, when they ran out of book material, the story seemed to flow organically, like in the books (for the most part), which is an attractive aspect about the ASOIAF universe.

Dany should've beaten the hell out of Cersei by now, and Euron doesn't have a magic fleet, and Tarly would've never betrayed the Tyrells like that, whatever the show tries to tell us about the lords of Westeros being afraid of Dothraki and Unsullied.

But, so far, everything just seems rushed in order to force Dany up north and not actually resolve the Cersei vs. Dany conflict, and skip ahead to the "real enemy", similar to the Battle of the Five Armies in The Hobbit (book, no film).

I guess, that's how it's going to end up in the book too?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Shout out to Bran for having a complete 180 character change for no reason too. I don't think Sophie Turner is that bad, at least not in this episode compared to fucking Bran (who was fine before)

And yeah as someone else said Emilia is awful, Kit isn't great but he's still alright.

With Bran, he didn't have alot of scenes post-Hodor, and until this year, no scenes post Tower of Joy flashback. I'm of the opinion it's both a complication of being half checked out from seeing "all things" as well as a bit of realizing the extent of his actions regarding Hodor's entire life. He didn't really have time to comprehend the reality of what happened, and maybe he has in the time after the Tower of Joy.

If anything, the way he os acting should prove why he would be unable to be Lord of Winterfell. Question is, will he freak out people enough to the point they want to kill him for witchcraft, or take his revelations the wrong way (and perhaps turn on John for being a Targaryen)

Their bannermen did not show up with their retainers and knights leaving Highgarden undermanned to a full on Lannister fighting force.

Olenna thought she would have more time with the Unsullied hitting Casterly Rock.

Lack of soldiers, lack of commanders seems a reasonable explanation for Highgarden falling to the Lannister force.

Yeah but you don't need to have read the books to know that the major castles of Westeros are not just taken easily. This was, in fact, a point in literally this very episode when Tyrion talked about how Casterly Rock is difficult to besiege. I don't know about Highgarden but I imagine it's no slouch either. "One man on a wall is worth 10 below it" and all. Like this show has usually at least paid lip service to some semblance of military realism in siegecraft, again, in this very episode. But we're expected to believe an entire army crossed the Reach without being scouted and took Highgarden without even so much as a siege at all? That's more than asking for a little bit of suspension of disbelief, that's just a complete lack of internal consistency.

Chumley

Banned
Jaime: "Tyrion didn't Killy Joffrey, Olenna did. We should forgive him."
Cersei: "I don't care, he still killed father."
Jaime: "You got a point. Wanna fuck?"

Jaime has basically been a fuckboi for years now.

"I have concerns, Cersei- oh. A blowjob. Alright, this is nice."

With Bran, he didn't have alot of scenes post-Hodor, and until this year, no scenes post Tower of Joy flashback. I'm of the opinion it's both a complication of being half checked out from seeing "all things" as well as a bit of realizing the extent of his actions regarding Hodor's entire life. He didn't really have time to comprehend the reality of what happened, and maybe he has in the time after the Tower of Joy.

If anything, the way he os acting should prove why he would be unable to be Lord of Winterfell. Question is, will he freak out people enough to the point they want to kill him for witchcraft, or take his revelations the wrong way (and perhaps turn on John for being a Targaryen)
Perhaps but with the pace of the show I don't expect them to ever explore that dynamic and instead just use him as a powerful all-seeing prop. It still makes no sense as to why he didn't just clarify that someone else taught him to Sansa though.

That's where the books always were heading anyway
It makes sense in the books because you have a Jaime who isn't completely under Cersei's spell no matter what horrid shit she does. For some reason D and D ruined both Stannis and Jaime by making them cucks, rip.

Shahadan

It makes sense in the books because you have a Jaime who isn't completely under Cersei's spell no matter what horrid shit she does. For some reason D and D ruined both Stannis and Jaime by making them cucks, rip.

In the books it's only because he "knows" from Tyrion that Cersei has been fucking other men, not really because she's horrible, something he still ignores in the show

And they cut most people she should have been sleeping with except Lancel because at the time they weren't thinking that far ahead

The Dothraki will do well on horseback. Once the Lannisters start killing the horses, they're done. Neither the warriors nor the horses have any sort of armor to protect them from a shower of arrows, so I highly doubt they'll do all that well.

But dragons innit.

Chumley

Banned
they weren't thinking that far ahead

8318A2AB1.jpg

Doesn't Jamie ignore cersie's letter that she is going on a walk of atonement, in the books?

Yes.

Faddy

Banned
Yeah but you don't need to have read the books to know that the major castles of Westeros are not just taken easily. This was, in fact, a point in literally this very episode when Tyrion talked about how Casterly Rock is difficult to besiege. I don't know about Highgarden but I imagine it's no slouch either. "One man on a wall is worth 10 below it" and all. Like this show has usually at least paid lip service to some semblance of military realism in siegecraft, again, in this very episode. But we're expected to believe an entire army crossed the Reach without being scouted and took Highgarden without even so much as a siege at all? That's more than asking for a little bit of suspension of disbelief, that's just a complete lack of internal consistency.

The main Lannister forces marched from Casterly Rock.

The Reach Lords clearly sat in their castles and did nothing.

Not every castle can be impregnable fortress of doom.

Speevy

Banned
The Dothraki will do well on horseback. Once the Lannisters start killing the horses, they're done. Neither the warriors nor the horses have any sort of armor to protect them from a shower of arrows, so I highly doubt they'll do all that well.

But dragons innit.

Tyrion is sending the Dothraki and their horses to take Castle Black.

Faddy

Banned

Well Jaime did get cucked and spends all of AFfC thinking about how he got cucked.

But he burned that 1 letter.

George R.R. Martin just cured his writer's block by drawing Euron Greyjoy's ships on every page.

I have a feeling R.R. hit a wall when he realized he would have probably needed more that 2 books to wrap up the story properly.

The events of the last 3 episodes could have easily filled a book.

Speevy

Banned
Highgarden is clearly on top of a small mountain, and they brought zero siege weapons.

I shit you not, I have the screen open right here, there are nothing that could break a castle open.

It's not like the Tyrells have lots of food or anything.

Everyone else who's ever been attacked "We'll starve them. Let the siege commence."

Olenna: :(

*pretty little flower knights come prancing down the stairs to fight the Lannisters*

A friend of mine told me yesterday he "liked the chess play" that is being played on scene in these first three episodes.

What? Fucking stupid checkers is all I'm seeing. I'm not even that disappointed in the outcome of the plan, but we're not even seeing the plan act out. Everybody is just teleporting from one place to another and yelling "well, I win" and that's how everything right now is playing out.

I get there are budget and time constraints, but they're not even tied to the books anymore, why invent battles and a war that you're not even going to show? Or why build up to a potential Dany vs Cersei clash at the end of last season and suddenly deflate the entire suspense right away, just so they can hurry to the war with the WW?
I guess they needed some way to even the odds a bit, otherwise it was just everyone against Cersei. And that isn't that much fun also.

The strategy, Tyrion's strategy, was for Dany to be loved as ruler above all else.

Landing on Dragonstone like Aegon, having Westerosi allies surround Cersei and proclaim Dany queen. Tyrion might also have suggested Dragonstone to keep the Dothraki out of Westeros as raping and pillaging would have built up resentment for generations.

The plan would have been fine if not for Euron bringing his ships to Cersei's aid and Randyll Tarly bringing support of the Reach lords. Tyrion miscalculated how able Cersei could gain allies, perhaps naively supposing that the Lords of Westeros would welcome Dany rather than fear and band against her.

Really Dany should have listened to Daario. She is a conquerer, she should have immediately have taken Kingslanding and installed herself as queen, everyone would have bent the knee once she was in place. Her hand seems to be forced now, she must take on Cersei directly, she must take Kingslanding, queen of the ashes be damned.
I get the idea with not letting the Dothraki loose on Westeros. But she is still their queen, and they listen well enough until now. Or have them on the island, and sent Highharden + Dorne + Unsullied to siege King's Landing.

I need a Game of Thrones strategy game sometime to do this stuff. Or check out that Crusader Kings mod I guess.

Faddy

Banned
Highgarden is clearly on top of a hill, and they brought zero siege weapons.

I shit you not, I have the screen open right here, there is nothing that could break a castle open. They have foot soldiers and cavalry.

How do you know they didn't bring the siege weapons up later, ram the gates and take Highgarden.

They won the battle so they MUST have had the right tactics to take the castle.

mantidor

I'm still not over how the people of King's Landing are apparently ok about not having food and their Vatican being blown up, and suddenly caring about Myrcella and her murderers.

I'm still not over how the people of King's Landing are apparently ok about not having food and their Vatican being blown up, and suddenly caring about Myrcella and her murderers.

maybe, all of the inhabitants of king's landing really are just despicable people who will end up being cashualities in Dany's war when/if she brings the dragons there.

How do you know they didn't bring the siege weapons up later, ram the gates and take Highgarden.

The show asks you to assume a lot huh?

I feel we deserve to be as paid as much as the writers for the show as we must fill in their gaps.

Chumley

Banned
I just can't comprehend that a position as easily defensible and as important as Highgarden wouldn't be defended by anyone or have any kind of defenses utilizing that position. Put some fucking catapults or ballistas or something up there. And wouldn't a family as powerful as the Tyrells have scouts who'd send a raven back home about a massive Lannister army marching towards them?

Faddy

Banned
I just can't comprehend that a position as easily defensible and as important as Highgarden wouldn't be defended by anyone or have any kind of defenses utilizing that position. Put some fucking catapults or ballistas or something up there. And wouldn't a family as powerful as the Tyrells have scouts who'd send a raven back home about a massive Lannister army marching towards them?

Qyburn just invented the Ballista, they don't have a time machine to get them installed at Highgarden.

It is like you don't even watch the show!!

That is some really backwards logic. What is known is what they showed on the screen, that is how storytelling works in television. If you have to use your imagination to make up for bad screenwriting, it's bad screenwriting. They had no siege weapons because no siege weapons were shown. That is, literally, all there is to that.

Top Bottom