• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

RK128

Is it really going to be a one-woman-project? Did you discuss that with her? Because I'm finding it awfully ambitious if it's just her doing the entire game, and she's not exactly planning on making Pong for Vita...

I didn't ask if she was the only developer behind the project but if you note in the interview, she said this.

"My name is Cristina Martin Ramos of Dangerous Alone and as you said I’m currently developing Rogue Raiders Online, an Action RPG for the PS Vita."

Note how she states her studio, making me think that she is not working on this alone. I could update the interview by asking her how big her team is if you would like.

So after reading some reviews people have been giving Mary Skelter, it seems there is a major flaw that keeps popping up, that is the lack of balance in higher difficulties. It looks like they balanced the enemy damage correctly where it scales based on difficulty, however they didn't balance the health/defense of monsters, so everything kinda blows up before even being able to take a turn. Mana is also shoved down your throat at every turn, so you can just keep using aoes without having to worry about running dry.

Maybe there's a 4th difficulty you unlock after finishing the game once and things are better tuned there, but as it is, it looks like random enemies are going to be a cakewalk in yet another drpg. They did so well on everything else too, yet they failed at one of my biggest complaints with nearly every drpg on the system. Random encounters need to matter, something that only Dungeon Travelers has gotten even remotely right in my eyes. I'm not even asking for every enemy to be some deadly force you need to watch out for, just that battles should be more than just aoe spam or hitting an auto button that was clearly only included because the devs didn't actually try to balance anything and just want you to walk over normal encounters. If random enemies in the newest dungeon you just unlocked can't even hurt you due to dying instantly, something should probably be looked at.

Is it really going to be a one-woman-project? Did you discuss that with her? Because I'm finding it awfully ambitious if it's just her doing the entire game, and she's not exactly planning on making Pong for Vita...

My understanding from everything she's said so far is that she'll be doing all the programming solo. The Kickstarter funds will be used to buy art and sound assets, as well as a Vita dev kit (although I think she has one already as she has shown the game running on the handheld).

There's a tweet here where she says the base goals will mean her doing the project solo while stretch goals will allow her to hire extra hands.

I can understand why you'd be skeptical, I am a bit too. Not because in principle a project like this is too ambitious for one woman though, because games like Banished were made by one person and that looks great and has a hell of a lot going on. Heck, Light Fairytale is on Kickstarter which is a one-man game which also looks great.

My worry is more because of timeframes and amount of funding needed.

I don't know what goals she's set herself, but I do feel there's a limit to how much can be raised from Vita fans at this point. Maybe she might be able to raise £30k or so, but will that be enough to see the project through? We've already seen decent-looking projects crater at raising sums - Tiny Metal just failed; Light Fairytale is about to fail, so I feel the KS bubble is popping. She might get lucky because she's betting on the dedicated Vita fanbase going all-out with her, but there's still a cap on what she can raise from them I feel.

The other worry is time. She's aiming for a December 2017 release which is sensible because I'm sure she's as aware as anyone that the Vita's shelf-life is ending quickly and who knows what state the console is going to be in by 2018. But I feel like there's no way she's going to get the game done in 12 months (which is about how long she'd have assuming a successful KS campaign ending late November) so it'll inevitably be delayed and may struggle to release later on depending on how the console is.

I didn't ask if she was the only developer behind the project but if you note in the interview, she said this.

"My name is Cristina Martin Ramos of Dangerous Alone and as you said I’m currently developing Rogue Raiders Online, an Action RPG for the PS Vita."

Note how she states her studio, making me think that she is not working on this alone. I could update the interview by asking her how big her team is if you would like.

I think Kresnik sort of answered the question already. ;-)

My understanding from everything she's said so far is that she'll be doing all the programming solo. The Kickstarter funds will be used to buy art and sound assets, as well as a Vita dev kit (although I think she has one already as she has shown the game running on the handheld).

There's a tweet here where she says the base goals will mean her doing the project solo while stretch goals will allow her to hire extra hands.

I can understand why you'd be skeptical, I am a bit too. Not because in principle a project like this is too ambitious for one woman though, because games like Banished were made by one person and that looks great and has a hell of a lot going on. Heck, Light Fairytale is on Kickstarter which is a one-man game which also looks great.

My worry is more because of timeframes and amount of funding needed.

I don't know what goals she's set herself, but I do feel there's a limit to how much can be raised from Vita fans at this point. Maybe she might be able to raise £30k or so, but will that be enough to see the project through? We've already seen decent-looking projects crater at raising sums - Tiny Metal just failed; Light Fairytale is about to fail, so I feel the KS bubble is popping. She might get lucky because she's betting on the dedicated Vita fanbase going all-out with her, but there's still a cap on what she can raise from them I feel.

The other worry is time. She's aiming for a December 2017 release which is sensible because I'm sure she's as aware as anyone that the Vita's shelf-life is ending quickly and who knows what state the console is going to be in by 2018. But I feel like there's no way she's going to get the game done in 12 months (which is about how long she'd have assuming a successful KS campaign ending late November) so it'll inevitably be delayed and may struggle to release later on depending on how the console is.

Aside from the fundraising, which I think she has a good chance of seeing through successfully if she plays her cards right (presentation of your project on KS is só important! Running a successful campaign requires a lot of preparation imo.), I'm mostly worried about the scope of the game.

As you said, I don't think a year is sufficient for one person to put out a 3D action RPG/monster hunting/"exploration scavenger adventure game" that has some substance to it. It's not just the programming and the art. She's creating a new IP, so you need to create a world that people find entertaining and attractive. Even more so because of the online component.

With Virtual Toys she's mostly used with existing IPs as far as I can tell, so the lore was pretty much there. And then there's Q&A. You can't do "early access" on Vita, and have your backers playtest the game for you, like Larian did with Divinity: Original Sin for example. And you being the sole tester of your own code doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. So who's going to do the Q&A to make sure the game isn't super buggy? She'll need at least 4 testers too for the online component anyway.

Other than that, a Kickstarter project requires you to not just do a year (or more) of programming. You actually have to spend quite a bit of your valuable time to keeping your backers up to date as well. You cannot just disappear off the grid once the money's in.

So there's a lot more to it than programming and hiring some guys to do art/sound. A December 2017 release date seems completely unrealistic at this point.

Not that I wouldn't consider backing her, mind you. The game certainly looks interesting. But people on KS aren't giving you money anymore for just about any crazy plan. She's going to need to sell it, and be able to answer legitimate questions.

Today is a good day.

14615793_1308159195894935_8501043813062200120_o.jpg

Omg, Shallie Plus LE, yayyyyy!

The missing Ayesha Plus LE is hurting my collector-ism though.

Also OMG, you can order it from the EU NISA store! D: YAYYAYYAY

Saphirax

Ah, poop. I saw KT Europe's tweet first where it said the game was coming out January 10. Turns out it's out on the 20th.

Edit: standard physical edition is EU only apparently.

Aside from the fundraising, which I think she has a good chance of seeing through successfully if she plays her cards right (presentation of your project on KS is só important! Running a successful campaign requires a lot of preparation imo.), I'm mostly worried about the scope of the game.

As you said, I don't think a year is sufficient for one person to put out a 3D action RPG/monster hunting/"exploration scavenger adventure game" that has some substance to it. It's not just the programming and the art. She's creating a new IP, so you need to create a world that people find entertaining and attractive. Even more so because of the online component.

With Virtual Toys she's mostly used with existing IPs as far as I can tell, so the lore was pretty much there. And then there's Q&A. You can't do "early access" on Vita, and have your backers playtest the game for you, like Larian did with Divinity: Original Sin for example. And you being the sole tester of your own code doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. So who's going to do the Q&A to make sure the game isn't super buggy? She'll need at least 4 testers too for the online component anyway.

Other than that, a Kickstarter project requires you to not just do a year (or more) of programming. You actually have to spend quite a bit of your valuable time to keeping your backers up to date as well. You cannot just disappear off the grid once the money's in.

So there's a lot more to it than programming and hiring some guys to do art/sound. A December 2017 release date seems completely unrealistic at this point.

Not that I wouldn't consider backing her, mind you. The game certainly looks interesting. But people on KS aren't giving you money anymore for just about any crazy plan. She's going to need to sell it, and be able to answer legitimate questions.

I think we're in agreement on this. I'll still be backing her though, since I'm genuinely intrigued as to how things are going to turn out :p

This is blowing my mind.

A standard edition Koei-Tecmo Vita game in 2017. I mean, I know it's because NISA have helped out, but still, I can't believe it.

Now the only hole in my heart is the lack of Ayesha Plus physical edition.

the dream is triple pack from LRG for $99.99 with an outer slipcase. LET ME DREAM DAMN IT.

Shizuka

This is blowing my mind.

A standard edition Koei-Tecmo Vita game in 2017. I mean, I know it's because NISA have helped out, but still, I can't believe it.

Now the only hole in my heart is the lack of Ayesha Plus physical edition.

Is it really a standard edition if that's also exclusive to the NISA Store?

Takao

Banned
We've found out what Bandai Namco is going to do about Digimon in Japan: the PS4 version of Next 0rder is getting a retail release next spring, branded as "International Edition." No updates for the Vita version. No bundle with CS PS4. Good luck.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So after reading some reviews people have been giving Mary Skelter, it seems there is a major flaw that keeps popping up, that is the lack of balance in higher difficulties. It looks like they balanced the enemy damage correctly where it scales based on difficulty, however they didn't balance the health/defense of monsters, so everything kinda blows up before even being able to take a turn. Mana is also shoved down your throat at every turn, so you can just keep using aoes without having to worry about running dry.

Maybe there's a 4th difficulty you unlock after finishing the game once and things are better tuned there, but as it is, it looks like random enemies are going to be a cakewalk in yet another drpg. They did so well on everything else too, yet they failed at one of my biggest complaints with nearly every drpg on the system. Random encounters need to matter, something that only Dungeon Travelers has gotten even remotely right in my eyes. I'm not even asking for every enemy to be some deadly force you need to watch out for, just that battles should be more than just aoe spam or hitting an auto button that was clearly only included because the devs didn't actually try to balance anything and just want you to walk over normal encounters. If random enemies in the newest dungeon you just unlocked can't even hurt you due to dying instantly, something should probably be looked at.

Pretty much the game is not that difficult even on the hardest setting. I 1 shotted a boss for example which was pretty funny.

Once you reach a certain threshold with character levels + your equipment monsters cant hurt you for the most part allowing you to roflstomp a lot of things. Though honestly thats a bit of a good thing considering how much fighting you need to do in order to collect those blood tokens necessary for your equipment and character classes.

Also finally got the time to put up a general import impression thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1296461

Overall though its a pretty decent game apart from being easy so far. Only starting out when you are working up your levels and equipment are the enemies a real threat. And the initial nightmare encounter just due to the large difference in stats that it has vs the standard enemies.

I would say Rose Castle, but they're probably going to hold off on that some just so they can bundle all 3 (Firefly Diary/Yomawari/Rose) of the smaller games together, because reasons.

I will hate that unholy union, but also be grateful it's happening still. That's basically what being a Vita fan is about.

Probably a safe assumption to say it's Coven. I would say Rose Castle, but they're probably going to hold off on that some just so they can bundle all 3 (Firefly Diary/Yomawari/Rose) of the smaller games together, because reasons.

Judging by recent developments, I'm expecting it to be a PS4 game yet to be announced in Japan that NISA will pick up as soon as it's announced >.>

(Yes, I'm very bitter over here :p)

More realistically, I hope it's Hero Must Die but I expect it to be Coven.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Coven coven coven.

....It's going to be some random ps4 game or Rose Castle isn't it?

It better be coven considering that would be a title which would bring in solid sales and reviews considering the overall quality of the game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I would like you to notice that NISA Europe = Nippon(=Japan) Ichi Software America Europe, a really international name lol.

I hope there's still hope for older games like uppers, net high and others i don't remember now.

RK128

I would like you to notice that NISA Europe = Nippon(=Japan) Ichi Software America Europe, a really international name lol.

I hope there's still hope for older games like uppers, net high and others i don't remember now.

I thought Net High is happening, consider that got rated for Vita alongside Valkyrie Drive and Uppers (though the later got cancelled on Vita).

I thought Net High is happening, consider that got rated for Vita alongside Valkyrie Drive and Uppers (though the later got cancelled on Vita).
Don't think they got rated, just got English trophy lists.

I'm still hoping some company like PQube picks up Net High for next year.

Ephidel

Uppers never got cancelled on Vita. Crows got cancelled on Vita.
That said the main thing that made people think Valkyrie Drive and Net High had a chance weren't ratings, it was that they got localised trophy lists. I don't think Uppers ever got one of those.

RK128

Uppers never got cancelled on Vita. Crows got cancelled on Vita.
That said the main thing that made people think Valkyrie Drive and Net High had a chance weren't ratings, it was that they got localised trophy lists. I don't think Uppers ever got one of those.

Ah, I'm sorry on my part then. Got Crows confused with Uppers.

Possible, but it reads like the game will be announced before the event, not at the event. Could be NA/EU game that's announced this week.

Could be anything!

EDIT: Akibas Beat could be a possibility I guess

RK128

I wouldn't put it past NISA, but why would they tease Akibas Beat or TX? We already know those games are coming.

Considering this is the Europe division of NISA, that would make sense......but I hope that isn't the case. They could just release a press release or something about EU localization's.

Saphirax

Considering this is the Europe division of NISA, that would make sense......but I hope that isn't the case. They could just release a press release or something about EU localization's.

I know it's the EU division, but teasing something that's already been announced is utterly dumb. Even if it's not a game by NIS, the tweet said '4th title which will be announced soon', could also be another company bringing an unannounced game west and NISA bringing it to EU.

I know it's the EU division, but teasing something that's already been announced is utterly dumb. Even if it's not a game by NIS, the tweet said '4th title which will be announced soon', could also be another company bringing an unannounced game west and NISA bringing it to EU.

I wouldn't put it past them. Look at the other 3 games in the tweet. ToCS2 is one, a game already out in the USA.

I'm leaning towards it being a European-release-announcement too.

Saphirax

I wouldn't put it past them. Look at the other 3 games in the tweet. ToCS2 is one, a game already out in the USA.

I'm leaning towards it being a European-release-announcement too.

It's definitely a European announcement, but look at their tweet again. They didn't mention that the game would be announced at MCM. So it's quite possible we get a new game announcement, whether it's a game by NIS or another company, this week or next week and said game is also being brought to EU by NISA.

It's definitely a European announcement, but look at their tweet again. They didn't mention that the game would be announced at MCM. So it's quite possible we get a new game announcement, whether it's a game by NIS or another company, this week or next week and said game is also being brought to EU by NISA.

Sure. Or they could just announce they've formed a partnership with Aksys to bring Tokyo Xanadu on Twitter and then that'll be at MCM. Or something similar.

I dunno, could be either.

Top Bottom