• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Fady K

By the way guys: to help celebrate the recent launch of one of the Vita's finest games, I, thanks to Oddworld Inc, have an EU code to give away for the Vita version (cross buy) of Oddworld Abe's Odyssey New n Tasty. I would like to give it to one of you guys cause you are the best Vita community in the world. Since I have only one though, I would like to give it a Vita owner here with an EU account who would REALLY like to play this game. The first person to fall into this criteria who posts will receive the code via a message. I wish i had a code for all of you <3

incpdo

By the way guys: to help celebrate the recent launch of one of the Vita's finest games, I, thanks to Oddworld Inc, have an EU code to give away for the Vita version (cross buy) of Oddworld Abe's Odyssey New n Tasty. I would like to give it to one of you guys cause you are the best Vita community in the world. Since I have only one though, I would like to give it a Vita owner here with an EU account who would REALLY like to play this game. The first person to fall into this criteria who posts will receive the code via a message. I wish i had a code for all of you <3
Would love this game too but I'm in a NA account and would be no fair for me to have it . so whoever has a eu account , you are lucky !
In any case is great from you fady to do this kind of giveaway. Keep it up!

It's sells well and is still getting tons of free content updates.

It was just 33% off on EU PSN though

I'll see your Shovel Knight, and raise you 1001 Spikes.

Been waiting for that game to go on sale forever.
I'd get Shovel Knight at $10.. It's too risky to buy it at full price now.

eh, whichever. just bought shovel knight, double dipped from a pc version.

1001 spikes is kind of shit. i had it on wii u. can't recommend it.

What bullshit are you talking about? Totally out of the loop.

This is a start
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817525

It didn't really get better since then.
Releasing games on multiple platforms in multiple regions but not supporting them equally (BoI EU PSN had to wait months for a patch, Afterbirth still not out on consoles)

Not releasing games outside NA at all

Releasing patches that completely break games

They're just terrible at everything they do

1001 Spikes has been great, if not a little unfair BUT... Update 1.02 added an easy mode which mitigates some of the unforgiving difficulty. A perfect Vita game.

This is a start
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817525

It didn't really get better since then.
Releasing games on multiple platforms in multiple regions but not supporting them equally (BoI EU PSN had to wait months for a patch, Afterbirth still not out on consoles)

Not releasing games outside NA at all

Releasing patches that completely break games

They're just terrible at everything they do

I'm bitter that they're holding an incredibly anticipated game of my hostage with their bullshit - 90's Arcade Racer. I mean it's been like a year and a half since this was supposed to be out and it still seems nowhere near release.

They teased PS3/4/Vita versions too ages ago. But being in Europe, I can expect those in 20never I suppose.

I'm bitter that they're holding an incredibly anticipated game of my hostage with their bullshit - 90's Arcade Racer. I mean it's been like a year and a half since this was supposed to be out and it still seems nowhere near release.

They teased PS3/4/Vita versions too ages ago. But being in Europe, I can expect those in 20never I suppose.
90's Racer was my most wanted WiiU game. Is it stil coming?

If the code is still available, I recently acquired a VITA and would LOVE to replay this game. I had the original on PSone, good times were had back in the day.

Clearos

Anyone have an opinion on the original Vita design vs the new slim models? I have an original Vita with the OLED screen and wasn't sure if there is a real reason to switch to slim aka better battery life, better joysticks, etc.

Saw someone on buy/sell/trade selling a Blue/White slim that I might go after if there is an improvement.

Anyone have an opinion on the original Vita design vs the new slim models? I have an original Vita with the OLED screen and wasn't sure if there is a real reason to switch to slim aka better battery life, better joysticks, etc.

Saw someone on buy/sell/trade selling a Blue/White slim that I might go after if there is an improvement.

The new model is more ergonomic, slimmer and lighter. The controls are nicer. Some feel the colours are too saturated on the original's OLED even though it's technically a higher spec screen.

I went through a period of infatuation with the new model but eventually I realised it was a case of thinking the grass was greener on the other side; the construction on the original definitely feels higher class and more solid, and I like the OLED. As for the ergonomics, I'm quite used to the original now to the point where I don't even need a grip. So I'll be sticking with the classy OG.

The ability to charge the slim with any phone charger is a pretty big plus.

For me it was the upgraded buttons, slimmer form factor and better Battery

Also the micro usb port is a covenient upgrade as most chargers will work in a pinch

I would highly reccomend the Slim model. It's superior in every way imo. Even build quality. Screens are about even since both have pros and cons, don't let that sway you, since you will not notice anything wrong with either unless you have them right next to each other.

I like my OLED screen too much to upgrade :p

I though the same until I used the Slim for extended periods.

The answer to this question is always the same around these parts: buy a 2000.

2000 has every advantage over the 1000. Some people really love the OLED screen, and it's fine if you do, but that would be your only reason to keep a 1000 in 2016.

And, like most people will say, you will not notice the difference in the screens unless they are side by side. There is also the argument that the 2000 screen has more accurate colors, so, you know, get a 2000.

I thought 1001 Spikes was a great game, but reviews aren't that great. I even heard it's an unfair game.

1001 Spikes is great, it's just brutal. The controls are pin point precise, the simple mechanics of two different jump heights and a subweapon throw to kill/deflect are fully conceptualized and utilized, the music and sound is chiptunetastic, the working plot is good motivation with great Ninja Gaiden-esque cut scenes, the graphics totally nail 8 bit NES pixels in the best way, there's lots of extra game modes/characters to unlock, co-op is great (full of nail biting saves and hilarious griefing), and the overall concept of having 1001 lives (+1ups) to complete the game is as well done as it probably ever could be.

The difficultly and level design is fair and smart... nothing is rule-breaker trolling or aesthetic/architectural confusion in the way that stuff like I Wanna Be The Guy, Cloudberry Kingdom or community Mario Maker levels are, or based on any unorthodox exploit play like Mario World romhacks are.

Out of the three indie jones games, I like La Mulana most, then 1,001 Spikes, then Spelunky. All of them are difficult and great in their own way.

I can vouch for 1001 Spikes as well. I loved it enough to 100% the trophy list.

It is brutal to begin with though, there are some cheap deaths as you will either not see the projectile coming, or stand on the wrong block and spikes shoot up skewering you...

It does get easier though, you learn how the game thinks and can react in kind. Plus once you accept your going to die a lot it becomes less stressful, as there should be more than enough lives in the game for the average player.

As NinjamicWZ points out I do have to give props to the controls. A good platformer needs solid controls and these are the most accurate for a platformer I've played in a long while. Plus the two jump buttons (each with the different height) actually makes things easier as I found it incredibly easy to judge jumps based on whether I need a smaller jump or a long jump.

The only level I actively disliked was one of the last antartica levels, where you have a whole host of penguins that die slowly (unless you melee them, but that's a 50/50 chance they'll kill you instead). Plus right at the end there are two really annoying platforming sections that really push your skills to the limit. Apart from that though its one of the best platformers I've played, its one that gives you immense satisfaction when you clear each and every level.

The bonus modes (tower and lost level) turn the game into a faster paced platformer plus you can use characters that can take more than one hit, or have better weapons. Both modes are brilliant fun and absolutely worth playing through.

If you want a tough platformer you can't go wrong with 1001 Spikes, I'd still recommend Super Meat Boy over this though, as that game felt pretty much perfect as far as platformers go.

It is brutal to begin with though, there are some cheap deaths as you will either not see the projectile coming, or stand on the wrong block and spikes shoot up skewering you...

Yeah, you learn those rules almost immediately in the first two levels or so, and the logic remains consistent from then on. Stay on your toes, not everywhere is safe and you might be walking right into danger.

Takao

Banned
yCPD9YC.gif
gbLP8mQ.gif
pOVnvi2.gif
KwCNhnr.gif
3xw2CVn.gif
fvFv2nQ.gif
mC6bKOD.gif
Trailer (NSFW): https://youtu.be/FZrOCtgk_Uc

Uppers HAS to come across. That looks insanely awesome.

Does anyone know if it's got a small 'open world' like the Kenka Bancho games do?

18-Volt

That Uppers trailer... XSEED needs to bring this to west. Port it to steam if they have to. I need this game.

Also I'm not ok with Japanese companies making vita exclusive titles. It decreases the chances of localization. At least they should consider a steam port for overseas releases.

That Uppers trailer... XSEED needs to bring this to west. Port it to steam if they have to. I need this game.

Also I'm not ok with Japanese companies making vita exclusive titles. It decreases the chances of localization. At least they should consider a steam port for overseas releases.

It's not that simple. Japanese companies are taking certain things into account such as how many Japanese people use X console (in this case a vita) vs. how many Japanese people use Steam. And most importantly, PC gaming isn't as huge in Japan like it is in the West. It's more complicated than simply worrying about localization, a business has to make money in its own region too.

Clive

Is there any word on the game flow in Uppers? Does it have some sort of open world like Akiba's Trip, a linear story like for example every TPS on the market or is it just fighting in small rooms followed by dialogue like Senran Kagura?

It looks cool but I hope there is a decent game underneath those flashy effects.

Prelude.

That assumption is completely wrong and skewed by the constant confirmation bias on gaf.
They don't need to port anything in order to be "localizable".

18-Volt

That assumption is completely wrong and skewed by the constant confirmation bias on gaf.
They don't need to port anything in order to be "localizable".

So you're saying it's still possible for XSEED or NISA to bring Vita only titles to west? Both have couple of Vita exclusive titles waiting for localization, and their current 2016 schedule is pretty empty.

Shizuka

So you're saying it's still possible for XSEED or NISA to bring Vita only titles to west? Both have couple of Vita exclusive titles waiting for localization, and their current 2016 schedule is pretty empty.

Not only possible, but quite likely.

Even if the "Vita games only get localized if they have Steam ports" has any merit, we will probably see them in the same way it's happening right now, Vita release first, external Steam port a year later. So Vita exclusive titles will still come, even if they may not be exclusive forever.

But in the end we don't have a crystal ball, so let's wait a few months into the year and see what happens. I do think that a game that is Vita/PS4 in Japan already is much more likely to get localized though. But we can't ignore that Marvelous specifically opened NA and EU branches, yet keeps developing primarily Vita exclusive titles. They'll have to localize and publish something

Top Bottom