• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

Is Skullgirls on Vita using native resolution? The character select and main menu look awful, on the character select screen I can barely make out the small portraits.

Prelude.

Anyones knows if the R3 Asian version from Singapore/Malaysia fpr Assassins Creed Chronicles supports german language? R3 Asia versions from these countries are PAL version equivalents most of the time with different, like Oreshika or FF X for example, but that's not always the case.

Also restocks for Soul Sacrifice Delta and Oreshika retails versions at Heavy Arm Store:
https://twitter.com/HeavyArm_Store/status/719491237850447872
https://twitter.com/HeavyArm_Store/status/719491441475526657
Don't take this as a 100% confirmation but I checked and the game ID is the same as the EU (even the german one) copy so there's a high chance the game's exactly the same.

Chance

I dunno if anyone else paid attention to the Don't Starve: Shipwrecked PS4/One announcement today, but some of the dev comments on the PlayStation Blog post look a might promising for a Vita release:

NYRv6a3.png

So the short version is, go forth, Vita-loving masses! Bug the crap out of Klei Entertainment and Capy Games on Twitter! Fly, my minions! Fly! Fly!

...now if only we could get Invisible, Inc. on it...

BearChair

I was thinking about the longterm future of the Vita last night, and I'd like to know what you think.

Cleary, this thread shows that the Vita still has support among indie and Japanese (and indie Japanese) developers, and that could last into next year.

I'm curious about the Vita even further out. With the arrival of the NX, the writing is on the wall that the 3DS is winding down its life. The indications suggest the NX somehow combines a handheld and console, though.

Alternatively, Sony has been clear that there isn't a Vita successor in development. Given the company's growth into VR, it's hard to imagine Sony developing another handheld. It would just split up its limited resources to support the PS4, VR, and a new handheld.

With all that in mind, it seems like the Vita could have a decent future as a niche gaming machine. Devs can't make a fortune, but there's a large, established userbase for a system that they know how to develop for. I could see the Vita surviving for another two or three years just on the strength of being a niche machine. What're your thoughts?

heringer

I was thinking about the longterm future of the Vita last night, and I'd like to know what you think.

Cleary, this thread shows that the Vita still has support among indie and Japanese (and indie Japanese) developers, and that could last into next year.

I'm curious about the Vita even further out. With the arrival of the NX, the writing is on the wall that the 3DS is winding down its life. The indications suggest the NX somehow combines a handheld and console, though.

Alternatively, Sony has been clear that there isn't a Vita successor in development. Given the company's growth into VR, it's hard to imagine Sony developing another handheld. It would just split up its limited resources to support the PS4, VR, and a new handheld.

With all that in mind, it seems like the Vita could have a decent future as a niche gaming machine. Devs can't make a fortune, but there's a large, established userbase for a system that they know how to develop for. I could see the Vita surviving for another two or three years just on the strength of being a niche machine. What're your thoughts?

Considering there's no successor planned, yeah, I think it's possible. It all depends on two variables though: 1) the attach rate remains high; 2) NX isn't compelling enough to Vita's userbase.

Corto

Just a reminder to people that were waiting for it that Risk of Rain is available on store! GO GO GOGOGO. Fantastic version, running smoothly right until the end levels where the action on screen is all over the place and huge number of enemies.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Imo a lot depends on the power of the nx handheld, if it will be just slightly more powerful than vita then there could be even nx-vita multis, also the lack of a successor could ironically extend vita's life since there will be no clear dead line.

A little over 10 million, right? Not sure if I would call that a "large established userbase".
But if it had a high software tie ratio (I wouldn't know), that is not necessarily a bad thing. Because, as you said, there would be room for developers and publishers who don't need high sales numbers to break even.

[Edit: I found some numbers on a site that is apparently banned. I'm assuming they are unreliable.]

I'm not sure the Vita does actually have a high software tie ratio though.

Is Skullgirls on Vita using native resolution? The character select and main menu look awful, on the character select screen I can barely make out the small portraits.
I know what u mean. I have a hard time seeing the input buttons as well in training. HK MK HP MP sometimes it's hard to destinguish what's what.

Love the game tho. Nice surprise considering I bought it to support the dev team on their next game.

Clive

I'm not sure the Vita does actually have a high software tie ratio though.

It's a "myth" based on a very old statement from 2013. It would be incredibly interesting to see how many Vita owners still use their console and how much their average spending per month/year is but we've got nothing. Just a vague statement from 2013 and certain indie devs claiming Vita owners buy lots of their games, mostly based on games several years old.

There are also absolutely no official Vita global sales figures available.

Jon Arbuckle

Neo Member
It's a "myth" based on a very old statement from 2013. It would be incredibly interesting to see how many Vita owners still use their console and how much their average spending per month/year is but we've got nothing. Just a vague statement from 2013 and certain indie devs claiming Vita owners buy lots of their games, mostly based on games several years old.

A recent game - Volume - apparently outdid Mike Bithell's (the developer) expectations on Vita. IIRC his conversations with Greg Miller and Colin Moriarity made it seem like his expectations were pretty high.

A personal anecdote, I play my Vita about 3-4 days out of the week. I also have plans to buy about 6 Vita games this year - and bought more than that last year. I would guess that the attach rate remains pretty high, but I would be very curious to see some official numbers from Sony on that rate and the actual number of consoles sold.

The fact is (contrary to popular myth) that games keep beeing made and released at a very regular pace. So even if the attach rate isn't as high as it used to be, it's still a viable platform enough to justify the resources necessary.

Yasumi

Banned

For what it's worth, I bought 36 Vita games last year. I might be affecting the curve slightly.

OmegaZero

A dev from Lab Zero has been commenting on various details of the Vita differences and porting process, which you can find in the Skullgirls Vita release date thread.
But basically there are a lot of cutbacks due to the amount of sprites and relatively limited memory of the Vita.

Clive

Yeah, the Vita is seemingly still a viable platform for the Asian market and for at least certain types of indie games. I just don't think the Vita having a high attach rate is proven in any way and yet I see it thrown around a lot.

If there are no non-anecdotal numbers to back it up then it's potentially false information and the same goes for any numbers people throw around for Vita hardware sales. We have no numbers for attach rate beyond 2013 and we have no accurate worldwide sales numbers for the Vita either.

I'm not saying the Vita doesn't have a high attach rate but I'm saying it can't be proven. My personal attach rate is probably around 150. If we count PS1 Classics then maybe 200.

Attach rate also doesn't say anything about when a game was purchased and at what price so it's not really a meaningful expression these days anyway.

Clive

PSN Profiles has stats on the number of games people own, divided by platform.
w1dLyPm.jpg

I just wish they'd release an all user average/platform number.

It still wouldn't be accurate because it would actually require you to boot up the game to have it registered to your profile. Purchasing it wouldn't be enough. I also imagine the average user there is more "hardcore" than the average Vita owner and buy more games so the sample would give a very biased representation of reality.

Vita attach rate is probably a number we will never have any clue about.

Edit: Not to mention Playstation Plus. How do you know who bought and who got a game for free?

Cornbread78

It still wouldn't be accurate because it would actually require you to boot up the game to have it registered to your profile. Purchasing it wouldn't be enough. I also imagine the average user there is more "hardcore" than the average Vita owner and buy more games so the sample would give a very biased representation of reality.

Vita attach rate is probably a number we will never have any clue about.

Yeah, I have well at least 30+ games I haven't even played yet that would be unaccounted for..

Clive

Devs still get paid for a PS+ game so what's the difference?

Depends on what you are looking at the attach rate for. A free PS+ game isn't there by the active choice of the player so it wouldn't for example prove that "Vita owners buy many games" or prove anything regarding Vita owners buying habits for that matter. It would prove the average Vita owner has access to X number of games, or in the case of trophies plays X number of games but nothing about purchases.

Do publishers get paid per PS+ download or is it just a lump sum for making their game free for PS+ subscribers btw? I don't think I have seen the answer to this.

Prelude.

Depends on what you are looking at the attach rate for. A free PS+ game isn't there by the active choice of the player so it wouldn't for example prove that "Vita owners buy many games" or prove anything regarding Vita owners buying habits for that matter. It would prove the average Vita owner has access to X number of games, or in the case of trophies plays X number of games but nothing about purchases.

Do publishers get paid per PS+ download or is it just a lump sum for making their game free for PS+ subscribers btw? I don't think I have seen the answer to this.
I don't think there are many "casual" users that purchase "free" games even if they don't own/use a Vita so that's a pretty good metric of active Vita users.
But yes, they get paid per download. I don't know if it's an actual payment per download or a batch based on the numbers, but still, if you don't "buy" the game, sony doesn't have to pay for your copy.

On PS I Love You XOXO Greg Miller and Colin Moriarty have said that publishers get a choice between the two. They're friends with many devs and usually get insider information about that kind of stuff. I know they were in particular referencing what they had heard from people who work at Psyonix.

Basically it depends on how confident you are with your game. Lump sum is the safe route, but per download can garner a lot more money.

Sony and developers don't run a charity, so the fact that the Vita kept getting these games, particularly from indies, means they're seeing some sort of ROI that looked good to them.

What would you guys recommend for starting with dungeon crawlers on the vita? I'm looking for something I can easily pickup. Not too hard, enjoyable or halfway decent story, clean mechanics.

Don't matter whether first person or third person.

redcrayon

What would you guys recommend for starting with dungeon crawlers on the vita? I'm looking for something I can easily pickup. Not too hard, enjoyable or halfway decent story, clean mechanics.

Don't matter whether first person or third person.
Demon Gaze. Ray Gigant is out soon and would be another good pick but you can probably pick DG up very cheap by now (it's £11.99 on the EU PSN store), whereas RG will probably be three times that at launch.

Ray Gigant looks more interesting to be honest, but I will give Demon Gaze shot. Thanks.

Guess it depends on how you value the cost if the genre doesn't pan out for you. Demon Gaze is pretty easy to find for cheap nowadays, where as Ray Gigant is likely to be $40 for a while. Quite a few Vita people here have also actually played Demon Gaze so it's easy to recommend over the other which is just now seeing an English release.

Clearos

I'm currently in the middle of Demon Gaze and I have not done a dungeon crawler since Phantasy Star 1. A good game to get back into the dungeon crawling while I wait for Sword City and Ray.

UCBooties

I'm gonna second the recomendation for Risk of Rain. The game is amazing on the Vita. I wasn't sure how much I would like it but it is superb! Unlocking things is addictive. The only problem I've had is that occasionaly when I try to launch the game the system tells me the data is corrupted and I have to restart. This hasn't affected my saves at all but it does prevent my trophies from syncing which is a bummer. I guess I'll have to play it on the PS4 to try to get the trophies.

Assassin's Creed Chronicles is a bit disappointing to me. Technically the game is fine but the game itself hasn't been much fun. Too many instances where I get spotted because of someone I had no way of knowing was there. That kind of trial and error stealth play isn't much fun to me.

Edit: And I'll also recommend Demon Gaze, the art is wonderful and the game play is really addictive. Doing loot runs is soooooo satisfying.

Yeah, Risk of Rain is great. Was just as good a fit as I'd expected. I had it on Steam way back but couldn't get a game going with friends, so I barely touched it after trying.

I mapped the attacks to square, triangle and circle, and mapped roll to R. Works better for me so far.

Top Bottom