• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

18-Volt

so for 2017 we already have(us realease)

danganronpa v3
ys viii
caligula

vita wont die until next year at least

There is more,

Super Robot Taisen V
Berserk
Sword Art Online Hollow Realization
Akiba's Beat
Summon Night 6
Fate/Extella (XSEED's "winter" means "January- March next year")
Mystery Gensokyo
Full Throttle

and potential stuff like;
Digimon World Next Order (I still want this to be fall 2016 title)
Atelier Shallie Plus
Dynasty Warriors Tactics
Toukiden 2 (this too, Koei Tecmo has no releases for fall 2016)
City Shrouded in Shadows
Divine Prison Tower: Mary Skelter
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (buy Builders, people!)
Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

(damn yian, you were faster than me)

Wonder what Ray Gigant publisher Acctil is doing now. There is not much for them to localize. I really want XSEED to allow them to bring some of the Marvelous titles. If they don't want to do them at least they should allow someone else.

Neither DR3 or YS 8 have been confirmed for a western release.

I mean, they're most likely happening, but still :p.

Neither of those are confirmed, but we do have two other confirmed 2017 titles - Summon Night 6 and Genso Wanderer. I also highly suspect Fate/Extella will be 2017 judging by XSEED's track record with 'winter' releases.

I do feel like 2017 will be Vita's last hurrah, between Asian-English releases and digital-localizations in the west, but at least it's going out with a bang.

Wonder what Ray Gigant publisher Acctil is doing now. There is not much for them to localize. I really want XSEED would allow them to bring some of the Marvelous titles. If they don't want to do them at least they should allow someone else.

Don't get pulled into this again, that's what we all thought about XSEED :p

CazTGG

IIRC Lost Dimension got 32/40 and Natural Doctrine got 31/40 so I'm feeling hopeful :)

That's a pretty bad sign if true. Lost Dimension was essentially "what if John Carpenter's 'The Thing' was horribly written" with mediocre gameplay to boot. I was tempted to create a drinking game based on how many times they said traitor were it not going to result in dropping dead in the first ten minutes.

I really advise against using famitsu scores for indication of quality, regardless of whether they're high or low. There have been games with mid 20s in their rag but are quite good games. There have been games with high 30s that've been garbage.

That's a pretty bad sign if true. Lost Dimension was essentially "what if John Carpenter's 'The Thing' was horribly written" with mediocre gameplay to boot. I was tempted to create a drinking game based on how many times they said traitor were it not going to result in dropping dead in the first ten minutes.

Wow, different strokes for different folks I guess. I went in with low expectations because FuRyu and ended up loving it. If you can accept it's a game made on a shoestring budget then it's a lot of fun, imo.

I really advise against using famitsu scores for indication of quality, regardless of whether they're high or low. There have been games with mid 20s in their rag but are quite good games. There have been games with high 30s that've been garbage.

Best advice though, Famitsu review scores are all over the place.

Just read this post by Tom on the Marvelous forums about retail Vita - http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28319&st=1500#entry923096

:( I knew this day would come. Asia/R3 english save us all

I mean, the days have been numbered since 2014 really, I'm just saddened that it seems to finally be drawing to a close now. I hope they get a last push of titles out at retail next year at least, though Atlus with Caligula doesn't paint a great picture.

On another note, XSEED's forums are crap. Can't even log in anymore, just gets stuck looping forever.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

yaffi

The only reason I prefer physical (for console games) is that I like to sell games I've finished. I wouldn't mind digital at all if I could resell game licenses or something.

RK128

Just read this post by Tom on the Marvelous forums about retail Vita - http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=28319&st=1500#entry923096

Considering how GameStop has Vita games in the back corners in most shops and how major retails have little to no space for the Vita, hearing that comment doesn't shock me in the slightest :l.

I feel a large amount of Vita sales come from digital purchases and many of us own well over 50-100 games on the Vita just from the digital store front alone. I don't mind being digital-only (with some small cases like my five-six retail carts) but I wouldn't worry about retail versions of games too much.

With programs like Limited Run Games being a success and JP having retail versions of many English-Asia titles, importing & purchasing online is still an option for many.

Just sucks that Vita's store front support at retail is shrinking as time goes on :(.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is that they don't have a noteworthy store themselves or are even capable of making an LE for everything under the sun that they can then charge a premium for on their own store (like Nisa/IFI). When all you have to rely on is retailers, you are constantly taking a hit with every game that you sell, especially when 2 of said retailers have discount programs.

Places like amazon or VGP won't stop stocking Vita games any time soon. I doubt brick and mortar stores have had a significant contribution ot Vita game sales in a long while now. I don't 100% believe that statement.

If that's their reasoning for not making more physical Vita games, fine, but it doesn't have to be that way.

And there's always LRG

Places like amazon or VGP won't stop stocking Vita games any time soon. I doubt brick and mortar stores have had a significant contribution ot Vita game sales in a long while now. I don't 100% believe that statement.

I know things are different in the USA, but to use the UK for an example - supermarkets have stopped stocking Vita games (most have stopped stocking WiiU games too), but any online retailer (Amazon/Base/Shopto/Zavvi) plus any dedicated games store (GAME; Grainger Games) still stock it, so there's still a retail base here at least.

I know things are different in the USA, but to use the UK for an example - supermarkets have stopped stocking Vita games (most have stopped stocking WiiU games too), but any online retailer (Amazon/Base/Shopto/Zavvi) plus any dedicated games store (GAME; Grainger Games) still stock it, so there's still a retail base here at least.

That's basically how it's been here in the US for the last year or so as well. The supermarkets offloaded everything they had early in the year last year and there's still a handful of stores that still carry them (Gamestop/Bestbuy being the big ones). Online retailers (Amazon/Bestbuy/Gamestop) and PSN have been the main focus for well over a year now.

However, several of those online retailers have been trying to "hide" the Vita section as of late and make you go through a separate menu to bring it up (Gamestop/Bestbuy), which is likely not helping very much since the attention isn't front and center with everything else.

Really at the end of the day it's just going to come down to one thing in terms of why Xseed isn't going after Vita games as much as other companies, which is they are unable to port games themselves. IFI has become incredibly successful due to their games being on Steam (which has alot to do with all their sales as well) and Nisa has been getting into it lately as well (even though their games aren't nearly as noteworthy as IFI's and sales show that). We can argue all we want about why Xseed isn't doing this or that when other companies are, but at the end of the day it all comes down to many Vita games just not being viable enough here now without being multiplatform, which being unable to port things is biting them in the ass when I'm sure they would like to do some of these Vita exclusives.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

If that's their reasoning for not making more physical Vita games, fine, but it doesn't have to be that way.

And there's always LRG

Yeah the only places that stocked XSEED Vita titles in store is dedicated game shops, which is pretty much only Gamestop.
Otherwise, online storefronts has always been the place to get them.

I mean, the days have been numbered since 2014 really, I'm just saddened that it seems to finally be drawing to a close now. I hope they get a last push of titles out at retail next year at least, though Atlus with Caligula doesn't paint a great picture.

On another note, XSEED's forums are crap. Can't even log in anymore, just gets stuck looping forever.

I never used their forums but saw this post when my friend linked me to another thread.

I would have expected most physical Vita sales came from online shops.
Gamestop notwithstanding, I almost never see new Vita releases at other brick and mortar places. And it's been that way for a long time.

Also online Vita doesnt have a sep tab and is under other and below clearance so yea :/

The only reason I prefer physical (for console games) is that I like to sell games I've finished. I wouldn't mind digital at all if I could resell game licenses or something.

I prefer physical because I enjoy having games I like on my shelf. I've not sold a single vita game so far. 2 PS4 games and 2 3DS games but kept all the vita stuff even trash like AC liberation.

All the physical only people are going to need to accept that being a Vita gamer will mean making some concessions.

Already been doing that with ray gigant etc.

Considering how GameStop has Vita games in the back corners in most shops and how major retails have little to no space for the Vita, hearing that comment doesn't shock me in the slightest :l.

I feel a large amount of Vita sales come from digital purchases and many of us own well over 50-100 games on the Vita just from the digital store front alone. I don't mind being digital-only (with some small cases like my five-six retail carts) but I wouldn't worry about retail versions of games too much.

With programs like Limited Run Games being a success and JP having retail versions of many English-Asia titles, importing & purchasing online is still an option for many.

Just sucks that Vita's store front support at retail is shrinking as time goes on :(.

I didn't know gamestop was so important to smaller publishers. I've never seen one myself but always assumed they'd only stock the AAA or western stuff.Then again I did manage to get SK SV lets get physical from them online a few weeks ago.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is that they don't have a noteworthy store themselves or are even capable of making an LE for everything under the sun that they can then charge a premium for on their own store (like Nisa/IFI). When all you have to rely on is retailers, you are constantly taking a hit with every game that you sell, especially when 2 of said retailers have discount programs.

I wonder if something like Sony's Gravity Rush Remastered only at amazon release would work. But vita games also cost a lot more to manufacture.

Yeah the only places that stocked XSEED Vita titles in store is dedicated game shops, which is pretty much only Gamestop.
Otherwise, online storefronts has always been the place to get them.

This is interesting. I've gotten all my XSEED stuff barring SK SV from Amazon.

I would think the bulk of their sales comes from Amazon, since GameStops typically stock one copy of anything niche.

The best thing about said one copy is that it's almost certain to have a display box as it's actual box, even when "new", so enjoy your scratched up case (or even worse that damn sticker). With that said, I wouldn't underestimate preorders through Gamestop since people are somehow not very internet savvy (yet live on their phones/internet) and believe Gamestop may be the only place they can get certain games. Never underestimate the uninformed buyers. Surely some people have to be buying Vita games through Gamestop still, or else they wouldn't even bother stocking them anymore.

Really at the end of the day it's just going to come down to one thing in terms of why Xseed isn't going after Vita games as much as other companies, which is they are unable to port games themselves. IFI has become incredibly successful due to their games being on Steam (which has alot to do with all their sales as well) and Nisa has been getting into it lately as well (even though their games aren't nearly as noteworthy as IFI's and sales show that). We can argue all we want about why Xseed isn't doing this or that when other companies are, but at the end of the day it all comes down to many Vita games just not being viable enough here now without being multiplatform, which being unable to port things is biting them in the ass when I'm sure they would like to do some of these Vita exclusives.

I'm sure that's a legit point, but I'm willing to bet IFI are as small if not smaller than XSEED, yet they manage to work out a system for getting their games ported to Steam (I believe it's the original devs like Felistella doing the porting themselves?) Since a lot of the XSEED games we're talking about are Marvelous games in Japan, surely they too can work out a deal?

Prelude.

They should prioritize games people actually want, then. Nobody asked for games that aren't even out in Japan.
I doubt stuff like Nitro Blasters sold more than most of these Vita games would. I don't think we're at that point, especially when they're willing to make physical copies of Shantae. Their Vita stuff might just not be ready to be announced yet, they're currently involved in way less viable projects so, yeah, the doom and gloom will have to wait for me.

They should prioritize games people actually want, then. Nobody asked for games that aren't even out in Japan.
I doubt stuff like Nitro Blasters sold more than most of these Vita games would. I don't think we're at that point, especially when they're willing to make physical copies of Shantae. Their Vita stuff might just not be ready to be announced yet, they're currently involved in way less viable projects so, yeah, the doom and gloom will have to wait for me.

Ehh I wouldn't say "nobody" asked for AB or F/E since they'd likely be games that people would be asking for next year anyway, just no one expected anything for them before their Japanese release. I also wouldn't put Nitro+ in the same league as some of the releases that people were actually asking for, considering the amount of work to localize it was likely laughable compared to releasing text/voice heavy Tokyo Xanadu or text heavy games like Net High/Valkyrie Drive.

I'm still in the camp of thinking we're going to get Tokyo Xanadu as it will have a PS4 version now, I just don't think there's much of a chance on the Vita version unless they can push for Falcom to back port some new features. Releasing both versions side by side here when one is far and away the better version, just seems like a bad decision and asking for that bomb on the lesser version. It honestly makes me question how Ys 8 will go as well, considering there's likely to be a 9+ month gap between when Japan gets the Vita version and when they get it on PS4. Like, is Falcom going add new shit to the PS4 version of that as well, since there is such a large gap?

Yea they said this before. Onechanbara and EDF take a considerable less amount of time and other resources to localize compared to these super long RPGs.

Ehh I wouldn't say "nobody" asked for AB or F/E since they'd likely be games that people would be asking for next year anyway, just no one expected anything for them before their Japanese release. I also wouldn't put Nitro+ in the same league as some of the releases that people were actually asking for, considering the amount of work to localize it was likely laughable compared to releasing text/voice heavy Tokyo Xanadu or text heavy games like Net High/Valkyrie Drive.

I'm still in the camp of thinking we're going to get Tokyo Xanadu as it will have a PS4 version now, I just don't think there's much of a chance on the Vita version unless they can push for Falcom to back port some new features. Releasing both versions side by side here when one is far and away the better version, just seems like a bad decision and asking for that bomb on the lesser version. It honestly makes me question how Ys 8 will go as well, considering there's likely to be a 9+ month gap between when Japan gets the Vita version and when they get it on PS4. Like, is Falcom going add new shit to the PS4 version of that as well, since there is such a large gap?

Yea interesting about Ys 8.

18-Volt

Exactly. They're pushing too hard to find a PS4 game to localize and all they got is an Acquire RPG (that could be localized by some else/someone better) and Fate musou. Both will ignored for PS4 in west and Vita versions would probably sell better.

I don't like this wind of change of XSEED a bit. Since their acquisiton by Marvelous, this year marks the first time they're skipping Marvelous games without a reason. They might be dissatisfied by sales of previous Vita games like EDF2 but it's not Vita thing, their 3DS games also sold bad (Lords of Magna). And I'm sure that Uppers of Valkyrie Drive would sell much better than Corpse Party 3DS.

I don't like this wind of change of XSEED a bit. Since their acquisiton by Marvelous, this year marks the first time they're skipping Marvelous games without a reason. They might be dissatisfied by sales of previous Vita games like EDF2 but it's not Vita thing, their 3DS games also sold bad (Lords of Magna). And I'm sure that Uppers of Valkyrie Drive would sell much better than Corpse Party 3DS.

Those Vita games may sell better (selling more doesn't mean making more in this regard) than Corpse party 3DS, but you also have to remember that they aren't actually doing anything new for Corpse Party, since the localization has been done for years on PSP. It's literally just throwing it out there and hoping for extra sales. Where as any of the Marvelous games would require a full on localization still.

Those Vita games may sell better (selling more doesn't mean making more in this regard) than Corpse party 3DS, but you also have to remember that they aren't actually doing anything new for Corpse Party, since the localization has been done for years on PSP. It's literally just throwing it out there and hoping for extra sales. Where as any of the Marvelous games would require a full on localization still.

I believe there are some new chapters to translate in Corpse Party 3DS. Looking at Steamspy, I don't think the PC port has sold well either (I'm sure it'll sell better in Steam sales, but still) so I don't hold out much hope for the 3DS Corpse Party.

I did wonder how much their Vita-exclusive games from last year (Corpse Party/EDF) factored into their decisions from this year. Because they're really not two good games to judge it by - one is a second sequel to a niche-as-hell horror franchise that was fairly poorly received; the other was overshadowed by a much superior PS4 game in the same franchise launching the same day.

The weird thing about XSEED and Marvelous is that according to Marvelous own fiscal report for the past year, EV and Story of Seasons turned record profits for them in the west. So I'd think they would push to get more of their games localized.

Prelude.

Let me rephrase that. Nobody asked for games that aren't even out in Japan and that nobody knows nothing about. AB got announced in japan like a week before they announced its localization, F/E, similarly, pretty much had nothing to show before E3.
On the other hand we have stuff like Valkyrie Drive, or even Uppers (which is not out yet), that have extensive footage and provided a reason for people to want them. They're not a "fate game" and "akiba's trip's somehow worse looking cousin". You might have mild interest in the concept, but, seriously, nobody knew shit about them, you can't be that interested.
Also, I mentioned Nitro+ because it certainly didn't sell a lot so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to release bombs like that instead of Vita games that would sell more, localization process aside.

What I think people are misunderstanding is that (as always) they're giving too much importance to E3. It's because it's E3 that you're seeing only multiplatform titles, not because they're not exclusives.
It's pretty clear that E3, thanks to Sony, is a toxic place for Vita, so publishers are not eager to show their stuff there, where they'd be completely ignored.
A blatant example of that this year was Atlus. They went to E3 with a Vita exclusive to announce and what did they do? They waited for E3 to settle down and announced it afterwards. This kind of companies aren't as E3-bound as the major publishers and have a lot of events spread throughout the year where they usually announce their stuff, so it makes sense for them to put out everything they have on the mainstream/US-friendly PS4 at E3. By doing that they know "journalists" will cover their games extensively and appropriately. It's sad but it's how it is. We all saw Sony completely obliterate the Vita section on the floor from one E3 to the other. Only at private/more niche-oriented events they can have the attention their games deserve.

RK128

Let me rephrase that. Nobody asked for games that aren't even out in Japan and that nobody knows nothing about. AB got announced in japan like a week before they announced its localization, F/E, similarly, pretty much had nothing to show before E3.
On the other hand we have stuff like Valkyrie Drive, or even Uppers (which is not out yet), that have extensive footage and provided a reason for people to want them. They're not a "fate game" and "akiba's trip's somehow worse looking cousin". You might have mild interest in the concept, but, seriously, nobody knew shit about them, you can't be that interested.
Also, I mentioned Nitro+ because it certainly didn't sell a lot so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to release bombs like that instead of Vita games that would sell more, localization process aside.

What I think people are misunderstanding is that (as always) they're giving too much importance to E3. It's because it's E3 that you're seeing only multiplatform titles, not because they're not exclusives.
It's pretty clear that E3, thanks to Sony, is a toxic place for Vita, so publishers are not eager to show their stuff there, where they'd be completely ignored.
A blatant example of that this year was Atlus. They went to E3 with a Vita exclusive to announce and what did they do? They waited for E3 to settle down and announced it afterwards. This kind of companies aren't as E3-bound as the major publishers and have a lot of events spread throughout the year where they usually announce their stuff, so it makes sense for them to put out everything they have on the mainstream/US-friendly PS4 at E3. By doing that they know "journalists" will cover their games extensively and appropriately. It's sad but it's how it is. We all saw Sony completely obliterate the Vita section on the floor from one E3 to the other. Only at private/more niche-oriented events they can have the attention their games deserve.

Exactly. Smaller scale events, random announcements and social media posts are the best ways to announce Vita titles; we pay attention to them, talk about them and share the announcements with other Vita users.

Sony did a lot to distance themselves form the Vita, putting it lightly, so I can imagine many third party developers waiting until after E3 or next week to announce titles they originally planed to announced during E3.

I've been reporting a lot of news recently and noticed how smaller companies or indie studios announce projects when news is more quiet. Sony's treatment of the Vita is a huge reason I have little care or interest in PS VR, but that is another discussion all together.

Overall, I agree with you and I expect the Anime Expo next month to have some great announcements from Bandai Namco, XSEED and NIS America plus more :D.

Exactly. Smaller scale events, random announcements and social media posts are the best ways to announce Vita titles; we pay attention to them, talk about them and share the announcements with other Vita users.

Sony did a lot to distance themselves form the Vita, putting it lightly, so I can imagine many third party developers waiting until after E3 or next week to announce titles they originally planed to announced during E3.

I've been reporting a lot of news recently and noticed how smaller companies or indie studios announce projects when news is more quiet. Sony's treatment of the Vita is a huge reason I have little care or interest in PS VR, but that is another discussion all together.

Overall, I agree with you and I expect the Anime Expo next month to have some great announcements from Bandai Namco, XSEED and NIS America plus more :D.

Im buying it but I know that feel :p

autoduelist

I don't really blame Sony for all of that, it's the overall state of the market and E3. Why announce during a week when all the press is going to AAA and 'hot' new indies like Horizon, Gow, etc. when you can just wait a week and ride the same wave? It's the same reason some publishers 'leak' a little info a week or two before E3 so they get the news out there before all the press can talk about is Kratos [or whatever].

That isn't Sony's fault. It's basic and proper PR management when you're well aware you're a smaller voice in a big room. Claiming it's because Sony doesn't highlight the Vita kind of misses the point that even if Sony had a Vita section it would still be in the best interest of many to carefully orchestrate announcements around E3, and not necessarily during it.

Experience Inc. Q&A:

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/yomi-wo-...rn-release-more-experience-qa-twitter-session

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (PS Vita)

“No comment,” regarding western release.

New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City (PS Vita)

“At this point in time, we do not have New Interpretation scheduled for localization for the west.”

Experience would like to make more Ray Gigant titles, but that of course is up to Bandai Namco, which owns the IP. (Tweet)

Regarding focus on Xbox One and PS Vita development: “Other platforms are being looked at, though nothing concrete is planned. At this point in time, focus is on PS Vita / Xbox One.” (Tweet)

Experience Inc. Q&A:

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/yomi-wo-...rn-release-more-experience-qa-twitter-session

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy (PS Vita)

“No comment,” regarding western release.

New Interpretation Stranger of Sword City (PS Vita)

“At this point in time, we do not have New Interpretation scheduled for localization for the west.”

Experience would like to make more Ray Gigant titles, but that of course is up to Bandai Namco, which owns the IP. (Tweet)

Regarding focus on Xbox One and PS Vita development: “Other platforms are being looked at, though nothing concrete is planned. At this point in time, focus is on PS Vita / Xbox One.” (Tweet)

I'm in for buying all their JP Xbox releases with English subs but it is hilarious seeing them focus on Xbox one instead of PS4 for Japanese focussed games. I'll buy their stuff physically on all platforms though. They made a fair few games I loved.

mr_chun

Is Gunship-X still a thing? I feel like it's been on this list forever. The developer has gone completely dark as far as I can tell.

It looked pretty fun, was looking forward to it.

It's a great game, it'd be more successful if most gamers didn't have the mentality that every game should be on the newest/latest generation or else it's not worth it.

But gamers do have that mentality, and hinging the version of the game on a console with a niche-but-dedicated fanbase that would surely turn out for something like this on such sales is still incredibly stupid, in my opinion.

Shizuka

But gamers do have that mentality, and hinging the version of the game on a console with a niche-but-dedicated fanbase that would surely turn out for something like this on such sales is still incredibly stupid, in my opinion.

Does it help that even if they released the Vita version, people would've claimed they wanted a PS4 version (that doesn't even exist)? You just can't please everybody, I've learned to get what I can take and appreciate it for it.

Does it help that even if they released the Vita version, people would've claimed they wanted a PS4 version (that doesn't even exist)? You just can't please everybody, I've learned to get what I can take and appreciate it for it.

I guess, there's a difference between making a new version from scratch and sticking the script in a game that already exists, though.

Shizuka

I guess, there's a difference between making a new version from scratch and sticking the script in a game that already exists, though.

It's not as easy as sticking a script in a game that already exists, as much as that's what I want to believe at the end of the day as well.

Top Bottom