• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

AniHawk

Now NISA doing the Vita/PC for all of their releases, I'm pretty we'll get all of their stuff, including Hero Must Die and Cladun Sengoku (and this is my pick). Worlds Longest 5 Minutes is a tiny game with minimal text, I'm not surprised they announced it first. Hopefully HMD is next.

yeah isn't it weird that their vita games are getting steam ports. i wonder if there was anyone who saw that coming.

AniHawk

also, the longest 5 minutes might be the hardest one for them to market.

hero must die - getting a 3d game from nis is super rare, actually, and just being in 3d helps its marketability despite other shortcomings like it being based off a 10 year old phone game.

coven - harada art + nisa's built a dungeon rpg fanbase on the ps vita

rose - spiritual successor to the firefly diary, which is getting more exposure thanks to the yomawari release

then there's this thing, which seems really safe and normal despite the reminisce gimmick. i think if it was a 3ds game, no one would bat an eye.

Shizuka

hero must die - getting a 3d game from nis is super rare, actually, and just being in 3d helps its marketability despite other shortcomings like it being based off a 10 year old phone game.

rose - spiritual successor to the firefly diary, which is getting more exposure thanks to the yomawari release

then there's this thing, which seems really safe and normal despite the reminisce gimmick. i think if it was a 3ds game, no one would bat an eye.

Shin Hayarigami 2?

What do you think the chances of each of those games coming over are, Ani? (Particularly Hero Must Die, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on any of them)

AniHawk

Shin Hayarigami 2?

a bit difficult since the first one didn't come over. not to say it's impossible - at least the only options aren't ps3 and ps vita.

personally, i think shin hayarigami is a series that's way too gross to achieve any sort of lasting appeal like danganronpa or even zero escape. i thought the original hayarigami trilogy was more about dread and horror than gross-out art. too bad those originals never made it over.

that's not to say they won't do it. it's just my personal opinion.

AniHawk

What do you think the chances of each of those games coming over are, Ani? (Particularly Hero Must Die, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on any of them)

considering they're not releasing all of their old games on steam all at once, i think they'll bring them over to help bolster their lineup for that platform. maybe by next year at this time all of those will be out. the ps vita versions will probably be bonuses for fans, especially as more retailers stop carrying ps vita games in any meaningful way.

the ps vita versions will probably be bonuses for fans, especially as more retailers stop carrying ps vita games in any meaningful way.
..and how many retailers are carrying PC games? Vita has digital games too you know. I don't see how that makes sense and how Steam I'll be the main platform all of a sudden because of that

cj_iwakura

I really think niche titles should be more expensive in general. Japan's flexible pricing for games has the right idea.

Vita games should have become at least $10 more expensive a long time ago. I know not many people would agree but I would totally support this. Especially for PS4/Vita releases there is no justification for a $20 difference. Cheap handheld games make sense when you can sell to a large and casual audience. Not with the Vita.

Okay, baller. You're going to kill the reason they manage to turn a profit in the first place.

..and how many retailers are carrying PC games? Vita has digital games too you know. I don't see how that makes sense and how Steam I'll be the main platform all of a sudden because of that

Is this really an argument? PC people have been used to not having physical for years, especially as Steam/GoG have gotten more and more popular. Meanwhile you go into any Vita thread for a newly announced game (either on Gaf or elsewhere) and half of what you see is people wondering if there will be physical or even saying they won't even buy the game unless it is or it has a good sale before they do. The 2 are not comparable and it's baffling that anyone would think as much. You should know by now that there's still a significant amount of people that prefer physical on consoles. Why else do you think places like Gamestop still exist?

Okay, baller. You're going to kill the reason they manage to turn a profit in the first place.
Yeah ATLUS selling their games for $50 totally killed them. Pretty sad :(

Your post could do with some arguments instead of attacking me personally. You're saying the main reason people buy Vita games is because they're cheap?

Is this really an argument? PC people have been used to not having physical for years, especially as Steam/GoG have gotten more and more popular. Meanwhile you go into any Vita thread for a newly announced game (either on Gaf or elsewhere) and half of what you see is people wondering if there will be physical or even saying they won't even buy the game unless it is or it has a good sale before they do. The 2 are not comparable and it's baffling that anyone would think as much. You should know by now that there's still a significant amount of people that prefer physical on consoles. Why else do you think places like Gamestop still exist?
preference, sure. But there's already a clear move towards digital on Vita.

You can read "I'll wait for a sale" in Steam threads just as often. It's not like NISAs releases aside from Disgaea have lit up the Steam charts so far. I'd argue the price sensitivity for buying digital only is very similar

Shizuka

Your post could do with some arguments instead of attacking me personally. You're saying the main reason people buy Vita games is because they're cheap?

The tendency at the end of a generation is for games to get cheaper, not more expensive. Getting more expensive is exactly the thing that'd kill a system faster. Just look at the PSP and the trend of pricing games, games became cheaper and $30 eventually became the MSRP for retail releases at the end of its life.

Why is this just about Vita when 3ds games are just as cheap? Yes, that is a major reason why people buy handheld games, because they are cheaper. Let's not mention the fact that they are graphically inferior to their console versions and many times run worse. There's multiple reasons why handheld games sell for less, and them being portable is not enough of a positive to make up for many of those shortcomings.

I honestly am not sure why this started with Yomawari and why you believe something like it should sell for the same price it sells for over in Japan. Do you honestly not see why Japan is willing to pay that price and why the West likely would not for a game of it's quality? I honestly hate when other people bring it up on other forums because of how shitty it sounds, but it has a hint of truth to it. You are buying a professionally made indie game that has a budget to match most higher tier indies. Why do you think that a Japanese indie should be $50-60 here, when our own sell for a fraction of that? Do you actually believe it would sell at that price here?

You can read "I'll wait for a sale" in Steam threads just as often. It's not like NISAs releases aside from Disgaea have lit up the Steam charts so far. I'd argue the price sensitivity for buying digital only is very similar

I'm also sure you understand why their games outside of Disgaea haven't been lighting up the charts. Not a single one has a name to it outside of a small niche audience, where as Disgaea actually has a decent size fanbase to it. I'd argue that the majority of Nisa's localizations are like that. You have Disgaea, Danganronpa and Demon Gaze and the few games like Disgaea (like Phantom Brave) and then you have a large gulf before getting to everything else. None of their games will ever have the fanbase that their few major releases have, which means none will ever sell to more than just a small niche and a handful of people who think it looks interesting while looking up games.

Why is this just about Vita when 3ds games are just as cheap?
Because this is the Vita thread? And the situation of the Vita and the audience is unique. Also I brought up Atlus' 3DS games which ARE more expensive

I honestly am not sure why this started with Yomawari and why you believe something like it should sell for the same price it sells for over in Japan.
This is never what I said, I think Yomawari's price is fine. It was more general comment that games should have flexible pricing. Higher and lower. I've thought about this for a while but never brought it up because I expected a reaction like this.

If more people were willing to pay more money for games that would be a good thing and would lead to more releases. I think we can agree on that. Looks like that's sadly not the case though.

cj_iwakura

It makes them more palatable to a casual buyer. Making them overpriced is suicide for a niche dev. You think Silver Case would be getting as much potential buyer interest if it was priced at $30 instead of $15?

People like me will buy it regardless, but we're not the ones who make or break a game's success.

It makes them more palatable to a casual buyer. Making them overpriced is suicide for a niche dev. You think Silver Case would be getting as much potential buyer interest if it was priced at $30 instead of $15?

People like me will buy it regardless, but we're not the ones who make or break a game's success.
how many casual buyers are there for Vita games? You can't even find them in stores anymore

cj_iwakura

how many casual buyers are there for Vita games? You can't even find them in stores anymore

Enough that games are doing very well and more and more get licensed every day. You know that making them MORE expensive won't help anyone. I'm kind of baffled someone WANTS this.

Enough that games are doing very well and more and more get licensed every day. You know that making them MORE expensive won't help anyone. I'm kind of baffled someone WANTS this.
You think that is because of casual buyers? Like a significant number of people randomly picked up Stranger of Sword City or Superbeat Xonic or whatever because they saw it on a shelf and it was cheap? We have very different views on what the Vita audience is like.

I'm not saying Pokemon or Fire Emblem should be $60 (although FE kind of was, funnily enough), I'm strictly talking about super niche games that almost exclusively sell to a very informed hardcore base

Shizuka

You think that is because of casual buyers? Like a significant number of people randomly picked up Stranger of Sword City or Superbeat Xonic or whatever because they saw it on a shelf and it was cheap? We have very different views on what the Vita audience is like.

I'm not saying Pokemon or Fire Emblem should be $60 (although FE kind of was, funnily enough), I'm strictly talking about super niche games that almost exclusively sell to a very informed hardcore base

That's taking advantage of a loyal audience. That's the #1 thing that can turn them away in a heartbeat. If they feel they're being exploited, they'll drop it and buy something else.

I mean I would understand it if every current buyer kept buying games even if they were a higher price, as it would help localization companies more. But is every current buyer going to be fine with paying a higher price because "reasons"? I'd be amazed if a significant amount of people didn't just drop it because they don't want to pay for a $10-20 price hike, especially when current handhelds aren't getting any younger. They want to raise the cost of handheld gaming then they should wait for something new to come out (which I would expect NX game prices to be higher for what would normally be handheld games), doing so when current handhelds are on their way out is a good way to make sure we really don't get much more.

Taking advantage of your already small audience is going to cause nothing but trouble, especially since we're not all dumb enough to not question it. It may work for Atlus because they know they'll get your money anyway because they make good games. A price hike for niche Nisa releases is not going to go over nearly as well though.

That's taking advantage of a loyal audience. That's the #1 thing that can turn them away in a heartbeat. If they feel they're being exploited, they'll drop it and buy something else.
It's not taking advantage when it's mutually beneficial and leads to more releases. I'm not saying NISA should use that money to pay their employees a fat bonus.

Shizuka

It's not taking advantage when it's mutually beneficial and leads to more releases. I'm not saying NISA should use that money to pay their employees a fat bonus.

It's not beneficial to me when games are getting more expensive. I'm still clueless to how anyone would want games to get more expensive.

jzbluz

I can only speak for myself, but if Vita games were $10-$20 more expensive then I would be buying games day one less often and waiting for sales. There are already Vita games in Canada that cost $54.99, and the only reason I'm even buying them is because of preorder discounts.

That $50 is already $65 over here. I don't even bother preordering their expensive handheld games even with discounts when I know that if I wait a few months, I could get their games for half off. I did it for DAN and PQ, and will do it for SMTIVA.

Yasumi

Banned
Yeah, retail Vita games are already $10-$15 more expensive here in Canada. Paying $65.99+tax for a standard release would *severely* decrease the amount of Vita games I'd buy.

Shizuka

raw

Must admit, PQube games being ~£22 at launch made Steins;Gate an impulse buy and Root Letter/Valkyrie Drive impulse pre orders, otherwise I'd have bought them down the line. So that's been working out for them (didn't work for Gal'gun though)

New Mary Skelter trailer that isn't about the lewd preorder bonuses this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtLKcou5ym4

Shows the VAs for the girls and guy, puzzle elements and talks about monster weaknesses and class changing some. It also showed the lewd in the game, which I'm sure would go over well with Australia again.
You can rub blood and the swimsuit off the girls.
It's lewd enough to where I'd question if we're even getting it considering some of the girls in the game.

AniHawk

steam will be a main platform because it'll be around longer than 2017. ps vita is going to be good for getting the word out since enthusiast sites are going to be interested in new vita games. the platform will essentially become free marketing for the versions of the games that will last longer on the marketplace.

AniHawk

I remember the 2015 and 2016 variations of that post

Let's see if 2017 is the good one, or we need a 2018 too

it's been pretty consistent so far. 2015 was the last year where vita was getting big-ish localizations as physical games (danganronpa, persona). 2016 localizations still in retail, but only thanks to games also being on other platforms (ps4, ps3, steam). i had expected retailers to slowly stop caring about it through 2016 and it seems that's coming true as well.

there will be physical releases in 2017, which is better than i had expected. it's really up to retail at this point on how strongly that continues. the exclusives situation has already come to pass, but the good thing is that as long as there's even a very tiny audience buying physical vita games, they'll be available somehow, even if it means it's only at amazon or a publisher's website.

Fdkn

already moving the goalposts to retail, exclusivity and perceived size of the games released, so that's consistent too.

Vita wasn't going to be a viable platform past 2015, then past 2016 and now past 2017. It will have to end at some point, as the platform got released in 2011, but here we are, in a thread full of incoming games.

AniHawk

already moving the goalposts to retail, exclusivity and perceived size of the games released, so that's consistent too.

Vita wasn't going to be a viable platform past 2015, then past 2016 and now past 2017. It will have to end at some point, as the platform got released in 2011, but here we are, in a thread full of incoming games.

the discussion usually came from which games were being localized, and usually around nis games. this was over concern that games wouldn't come over, and i would explain that they probably would as long as they weren't ps vita exclusive. stranger of sword city was the first. then it was yomawari. now we're looking at the longest five minutes as well.

and yeah, exclusivity was always a sticking point from me, even back in 2015, so don't worry about goalposts. initially i might have gone in too hard in saying that gamestop no longer stocking ps vita games would effectively be the end of the platform receiving localizations, but that might not be entirely true, it certainly reduces the quantity even further, however.

the problem about retail is that it directly affects even what else gets made. it's important because publishers need to forecast how many games they can sell to retailers and consumers in order to justify localization costs, even if it's as simple as paying an esrb/pegi/usk/oflc rating and the overhead for the employees doing it in conjunction with a steam/ps3/ps4 version. if only 5,000 units can be sold, then it might be better to have it digital only. if only 3,000 digital sales can be forecast, then it might be better to just spend that time your employees would need to work on digital manuals, testing, and submission, and focus on another game entirely and just get the main version out the door.

BTA

I hope Hero Must Die does come out in English, but I'd rank that (if only slightly) behind 5 Minutes for me as far as interesting concepts go, so I'm still happy.

I'm still conflicted over that $40 bundle. I'd have been ok paying $25-$30 for Yomawari even if the digital was $20, but it really does feel like it's extra money for a game I don't care about at all and could easily have already bought for much cheaper.

Takao

Banned
Sony's Chinajoy booth has a few Vita games on display and alongside the Chinese localizations, there are a few new locally-produced titles: Musync, Dying: Reborn and WILL: A Wonderful World. Musync and WILL are confirmed for western releases.

Some of you might remember Musync as a PlayStation Mobile DJMax clone. This is from the same crew, but the Vita-native version will instead be a port of the iOS/Android build, which has planes at a different angle.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really think niche titles should be more expensive in general. Japan's flexible pricing for games has the right idea.

Vita games should have become at least $10 more expensive a long time ago. I know not many people would agree but I would totally support this. Especially for PS4/Vita releases there is no justification for a $20 difference. Cheap handheld games make sense when you can sell to a large and casual audience. Not with the Vita.

You can get it alone on PSN. The physical release is a luxury and probably wouldn't be possible in any other way because people are cheap as fuck. I bet people would have complained less if they just put out Yomawari alone for $40

You forget why vita versions are 20bucks cheaper than ps4 versions, because there were/are ps3 versions too! Vita->ps3=10 bucks of difference, ps3->ps4=10 bucks hence vita->ps4=20 bucks.

I completely disagree with your idea, if vita is still alive and games sell decently is also thanks to their prices.

It seems BlueRider is coming to Vita as well (PS4 version already released).

blue_rider_screenshot_02_small.png
What kind of game is it? A shooter?

Sony's Chinajoy booth has a few Vita games on display and alongside the Chinese localizations, there are a few new locally-produced titles: Musync, Dying: Reborn and WILL: A Wonderful World. Musync and WILL are confirmed for western releases.

Some of you might remember Musync as a PlayStation Mobile DJMax clone. This is from the same crew, but the Vita-native version will instead be a port of the iOS/Android build, which has planes at a different angle.
Damn dying reborn is the one i'm interested in bit it's the only one not localized :\

autoduelist

if i made or localized games, there's no way i'd still be doing retail. having worked for a small media company before, physical is pure headache --- high risk, low return, lots of extra work. Digital is low risk, high return, and a lot less work. For smaller companies and smaller projects, digital is the best thing to ever happen. I wish people didn't get upset when physical doesn't happen and instead focused on the fact the game is getting released/localized at all.

When their stock bar hasn't even changed after being up for several months, it's pretty clear that they are either severely overestimating the appeal and plan to get far more copies than they will sell, or it's going to be a low amount and people just aren't buying it.

i don't know about their site specifically, but when a company i used to work for did preorders we had it up for awhile before we even decided stock numbers. we used early preorder to gauge demand, and only then eventually set a stock number, so the 'stock bar' would be meaningless at first.

That's the most anti-consumer thing I've ever heard.

Hyperbole?

It seems BlueRider is coming to Vita as well (PS4 version already released).

blue_rider_screenshot_02_small.png

I wonder if it's cross buy...

What kind of game is it? A shooter?

Blue Rider is sort of a dual stick shooter that gets absolutely excellent reviews on steam. i'm probably picking it up today.

So, surprised Takao hasn't posted this here, but Sony Asia are releasing a physical version of Touhou Genso Wanderer in 2016:

https://blog.asia.playstation.com/h...sian-languages-will-be-available-for-ps4-and/

NISA are releasing the game in 2017 (also physical), but I find this interesting because I assumed NISA were translating this themselves, but maybe they're just licencing the translation that Sony are doing for Asia?

Also, brings up again: what the hell happened to Moero Crystal lol?

So, surprised Takao hasn't posted this here, but Sony Asia are releasing a physical version of Touhou Genso Wanderer in 2016:

https://blog.asia.playstation.com/h...sian-languages-will-be-available-for-ps4-and/

NISA are releasing the game in 2017 (also physical), but I find this interesting because I assumed NISA were translating this themselves, but maybe they're just licencing the translation that Sony are doing for Asia?

Wait so the LE NISA has on amazon for Touhou genso rondo is the same as the LE shown in this post?

Also wanderer comes out in 2016 in english in Asia? Ill import that one then.

Tohsaka

P-A said on their Facebook page that they were contacting the publisher to see what the language options were, but nothing since. The game itself was pushed back from the end of this month to September, we'll find out by then I guess.

Just a few days left for free shipping on VGP and I decided to get J-Stars Victory VS+ for the Vita.

My local store has had the PS4 version really cheap for a long time sitting next to Godzilla. I'm not a fan of one piece and mosto f the licenses for J stars. Probably wont bother. Let me know if you enjoy it though.

Top Bottom