• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (OVER ~350 games with screens inside!) || 2015 Edition ||

2KMxr9i.png

WRC 5 is coming to Vita. A bit surprising since Kylotton Games are developing this one instead of Milestone, who were pretty experienced with the Vita (WRC 3, 4, Moto GP, MUD etc.)

RedSwirl

I think I said this in the last thread, but this is the trend I see in the OP:

Coming Soon in western territories
-A bunch of indie games that will also be available on every other platform
-A few nice-looking niche Japanese games.

Japan-Only
--ALL THE GOOD SHIT

The people talking about exclusives are generally right when it comes to the overall western market. There's almost no reason most people around here would choose the Vita version of a multiplatform game. Big home TVs are simply the standard outside Japan, and cross-buy with PS3 and PS4 versions is the only way Vita versions make sense to most people. And that's if you've even chosen PlayStation as your main platform for these games. A ton of what I see in the OP is games I'm probably going to just get on PC. Generally I'm actually in favor of everything being multiplatform, but I (and probably most gamers in the west) don't like buying handheld versions to the exclusion of home versions. If you look at other media, you buy something once and enjoy it on both the big screen and a portable device. We're just not there with handhelds yet. If Nintendo's doing what we're all thinking, we'll get there with their next handheld and console.

For right now though, a handheld has to have a valuable, unique library. I found the GBA, DS, PSP, and 3DS immensely valuable because their libraries were pretty much entirely unique. Whenever I ask myself what would actually make me get a Vita, the answer is basically "More of what I enjoyed on the GBA, DS, and PSP." That mostly means JRPGs and Japanese 2D action games -- that are exclusive.

Unfortunately the list in the OP isn't broken up by genre like a lot of release lists on GAF are. For instance, for a while now I've been trying to find a good list of Vita SRPGs. In my opinion that's been the biggest missed opportunity for both the Vita and 3DS. The 3DS has a handful like the Devil Summoner remakes and most notably Fire Emblem, and the Vita has a version of Disgaea 4 I believe, but not much. Why the fuck can't either one of those systems get a game on the level of FF Tactics? Where is FFTA3?! I want that stuff with full-blown Vita graphics and touch screen controls. Instead I just end up playing War of the Lions on my iPhone. I hated SEGA for switching Valkyria Chronicles to PSP but the Vita would be the perfect platform for it in my opinion.

The 3DS from my perspective has been largely kept afloat on first party Nintendo games and Atlus dungeon crawlers. Those games are great, but I don't see anything made specifically for it or the Vita that looks as good as Mega Man Zero, Metroid Fusion, or Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (other than those indie games that I'm just gonna get on PC). If the PSP can produce a game like Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker just imagine what the Vita could do.

The closest games I see to what made the PSP and DS worthwhile in the OP's list are almost all Japan-only. And it makes sense. The Vita is a system that largely just makes sense for Japanese hardcore gaming. Again, the 3DS is being kept afloat in the west by Nintendo. Vita doesn't have that kind of first party support to fall back on, so it becomes mostly the port machine outside Japan.

Sorrowful state of affairs. Somehow I don't think it'll get better until portable Windows devices advance to a point of being marketable handheld gaming systems.

There's almost no reason most people around here would choose the Vita version of a multiplatform game.

I wouldn't say that. A lot of simpler indie-type games will come across better on the smaller screen. And things like visual novels are more pleasant in a form factor that you can hold in your hand, like a book. And then there's the simple fact that portability can be a deciding factor. I'm probably going to check out Pro Yakyuu Spirits on the Vita this year since getting in games on the train makes more sense than sitting in front of a TV doing it for hours to me.

Maid

Banned

While your complaining is valid, somehow you missed a bunch of games are coming over that fills the need of what you mentioned. "Operation Abyss" is coming, and I believe "Stranger of the sword city" will, too, although it hasn't been announced yet.

It's not the lacking of games. It's the lacking of exposure for Vita's games outside of Japan. This could be a factor of small userbase, small marketing from Sony, or simply because of the small budget.

You may want to take a look at Tactic Ogre if you like FFTactic. I'd rather play Disgaea, though.

jonno394

Hi guys, little query. If I were to buy say the physical USA release of Demon Gaze, would I be able to download the DLC from the UK PSN store or would I have to get a US PSN account and download from the US PSN store?

Tizoc

Hi guys, little query. If I were to buy say the physical USA release of Demon Gaze, would I be able to download the DLC from the UK PSN store or would I have to get a US PSN account and download from the US PSN store?

The latter; you will need a US PS account on your vita to use the DLC of a US copy of Demon Gaze.

redcrayon

Unfortunately the list in the OP isn't broken up by genre like a lot of release lists on GAF are. For instance, for a while now I've been trying to find a good list of Vita SRPGs. In my opinion that's been the biggest missed opportunity for both the Vita and 3DS. The 3DS has a handful like the Devil Summoner remakes and most notably Fire Emblem, and the Vita has a version of Disgaea 4 I believe, but not much. Why the fuck can't either one of those systems get a game on the level of FF Tactics? Where is FFTA3?! I want that stuff with full-blown Vita graphics and touch screen controls. Instead I just end up playing War of the Lions on my iPhone. I hated SEGA for switching Valkyria Chronicles to PSP but the Vita would be the perfect platform for it in my opinion.
Aside from the Banner Saga, we also have Project Phoenix and Liege coming out this year as far as SRPGs go.

You've kind of answered your own question though- the Vita wouldn't be a perfect platform for it from the publisher's point of view, as it has a circular problem in that the only way to make larger scale projects viable is to make them cross-buy with PS3/4, and Square doesn't want to develop a classic-style SRPG for a home console.

As has been said, the latter.Though is there a reason you couldn't get a UK physical version of Demon Gaze? They do exist, after all (unlike a lot of games).

jonno394

As has been said, the latter.Though is there a reason you couldn't get a UK physical version of Demon Gaze? They do exist, after all (unlike a lot of games).

Tempted by the US Limited edition, but might just go for the standard UK version now. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

VLiberty

I think I said this in the last thread, but this is the trend I see in the OP:

The people talking about exclusives are generally right when it comes to the overall western market. There's almost no reason most people around here would choose the Vita version of a multiplatform game. Big home TVs are simply the standard outside Japan, and cross-buy with PS3 and PS4 versions is the only way Vita versions make sense to most people. And that's if you've even chosen PlayStation as your main platform for these games. A ton of what I see in the OP is games I'm probably going to just get on PC. Generally I'm actually in favor of everything being multiplatform, but I (and probably most gamers in the west) don't like buying handheld versions to the exclusion of home versions. If you look at other media, you buy something once and enjoy it on both the big screen and a portable device. We're just not there with handhelds yet. If Nintendo's doing what we're all thinking, we'll get there with their next handheld and console.

For right now though, a handheld has to have a valuable, unique library. I found the GBA, DS, PSP, and 3DS immensely valuable because their libraries were pretty much entirely unique. Whenever I ask myself what would actually make me get a Vita, the answer is basically "More of what I enjoyed on the GBA, DS, and PSP." That mostly means JRPGs and Japanese 2D action games -- that are exclusive.

The 3DS from my perspective has been largely kept afloat on first party Nintendo games and Atlus dungeon crawlers. Those games are great, but I don't see anything made specifically for it or the Vita that looks as good as Mega Man Zero, Metroid Fusion, or Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (other than those indie games that I'm just gonna get on PC). If the PSP can produce a game like Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker just imagine what the Vita could do.

The closest games I see to what made the PSP and DS worthwhile in the OP's list are almost all Japan-only. And it makes sense. The Vita is a system that largely just makes sense for Japanese hardcore gaming. Again, the 3DS is being kept afloat in the west by Nintendo. Vita doesn't have that kind of first party support to fall back on, so it becomes mostly the port machine outside Japan.

Sorrowful state of affairs. Somehow I don't think it'll get better until portable Windows devices advance to a point of being marketable handheld gaming systems.

Basically you don't like handhelds. If you have the chance, so, if the games are multiplatform, you'll rather get them on consoles or PC. Yet you want games to be exclusive to handhelds.

You don't want to play on a handheld, but you'd like to be forced to do so. Yes, you're right: that's exactly the western mentality about handhelds, but I'll never get it.

Basically you don't like handhelds. If you have the chance, so, if the games are multiplatform, you'll rather get them on consoles or PC. Yet you want games to be exclusive to handhelds.

You don't want to play on a handheld, but you'd like to be forced to do so. Yes, you're right: that's exactly the western mentality about handhelds, but I'll never get it.

Great analysis.

As a person who prefer handhelds, I mostly play my vita on the couch, between my gaming PC and my Ps3, I also don't care for the games to be exclusive to the vita.
Good games are good games and I had no problem waiting for games like fez, don't starve, rogue legacy, swapper, spelunky, frozen synapse etc. And I will wait for banner saga, bastion, risk of rain, broken age, bro force, hatoful boyfriend and more, until they get released for the vita :)

cammy84

Great analysis.

As a person who prefer handhelds, I mostly play my vita on the couch, between my gaming PC and my Ps3, I also don't care for the games to be exclusive to the vita.
Good games are good games and I had no problem waiting for games like fez, don't starve, rogue legacy, swapper, spelunky, frozen synapse etc. And I will wait for banner saga, bastion, risk of rain, broken age, bro force, hatoful boyfriend and more, until they get released for the vita :)

I'm the same. Given the choice between playing games on PC/PS4 or Vita I always choose Vita. I'm waiting for all those games to come out and I'll pick up Grim Fandango for Vita aswell :) Just prefer handheld gaming for Indie and RPG games, it just seems to fit better to me

redcrayon

Personally the Vita version of a game is automatically the definitive one for me. I practically never have time to play at home, so a game having a PC or PS4 version means nothing to me. They might as well all be exclusives as far as I'm concerned, which is probably why I see the Vita library as full of so much cool stuff compared to people who do all their gaming on a TV or monitor.

We're lucky to be playing games at a time when there's a device for everyone, no matter how they squeeze in their gaming time.

I can't understand the "most of these games either are on other plattform or will be" mentality.

Then why would you buy any system? most PS3, X360, PS4, Xbone and PC games are multiplat with few good exclusives. Just like the Vita. WiiU is full of nearly just exclusives and is the last selling system.

And people is choosing PC or PS4 because is often the better version, and the better version of the good multiplat indies is Vita because of controls, screen, portability, etc.

Oh yeah, and I don't know why they forget so often that is different to play on a stationary device like a console or PC instead of playing portable. Lots of games for the Vita are portable exclusives for the system, so there you have it. It doesn't matter if they are on other kind of system if they're not on a better handheld.

mrmook

Neo Member
I just want to say thank you to OP and all contributors for showing me where all of my money will be going in 2015

Rezae

To chime in on some of the conversations above, for multiplatform I've always preferred the Vita version. I tend to play those much more. I'm busy with limited time. Even if I'm at home, if I can grab my Vita and start playing an indie title for example, I'd prefer that while having the TV on something, than going over to my computer desk, sitting in my computer chair, wait a few minutes to boot it up, load steam, grab my controller, etc.

...or try to fight for screen time on TV if it's on a console. Call it laziness or convenience, either way, for me personally, a lot of games on my PC or console I don't finish these days due to time. On Vita (or my 3DS), I'll play games much more and often to completion. It doesn't bother me if there is a version on 6 other systems. Vita normally wins out.

Adeptrain

Lately I been playing my Vita about as much as I play on my pc. Most of the AAA games are pc (or ps4 for the occasional exclusive) and the rest are on the vita. There's just something really comfortable about curling up on the couch or in bed and playing on my Vita. I also have an hour commute to and from work everyday where my Vita is essential. Finally, when I have an hour or two break at school, out comes my Vita. Overall, if a game is multi-plat, I go for the Vita version. It's all about comfort and convenience for me.

Shinriji

Multiplats on vita:

- Vita/PS3 - Vita. $20 cheaper, almost same performance.
- Vita/PS4 - Case by case basis. Most I bought on PSV (Indies, Warriors Series, Akiba's Trip), some on PS4 (the pinball arcade).

_hekk05

Banned
Is Crash/Spyro available in NA yet?

If not anyway around this?

I remember there was a period when they screwed up the lisences and you could download them to your vita from your ps3. Its impossible now though, at least legally.

Anyway my new work location bans cameras, so there goes my plans of playing my vita to and from work. Its my basically my ps3 jrpg port machine and my psp replacement for now.

Sitrus

Been playing Oreshika 2 since it's a PS+ game for JPN. After playing it for a bit, I really cannot put it down. It's so fun to customize (breed) your party. I highly hope this comes to the west since it's a pretty good title. Good production values too.

Been playing Oreshika 2 since it's a PS+ game for JPN. After playing it for a bit, I really cannot put it down. It's so fun to customize (breed) your party. I highly hope this comes to the west since it's a pretty good title. Good production values too.

I looked up Oreshika 2, and it looks pretty good too. I wish that a lot of these Japanese titles would put English subs in them. It's a pipe dream, but I can dream it.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

I've more or less been a fan since playing the first game on ps1/psp. I bought the JP version, but I'll buy the western versions too if they get physical releases. I want to do what I can to support this franchise.

It is coming to the west, it got announced alongside Soul Sacrifice Delta and Freedom Wars. Those two games are now out and we still don't have a date for Oreshika, though. :/

For multiplats, if both are equal I go for Vita. If a good portion of content is cut from the Vita version, I'm" more likely to swing towards home consoles and even then that depends on kind of game it is. EDIT: and yeah, God Eater 2 RB can't come soon enough, loved God Eater Burst for the PSP.

Alisha Airscape

Neo Member
Going back a little in the conversation: There are always reasons to pick the portable version of a multiplat, only very frequently they're specific to people's tastes and needs. Some people prefer to be tucked in in their beds on cold nights with their Vita close by instead of sitting up to play on a screen. Some people love to be able to just put their game on hold at night and carry on with it during their morning commute. Some people may even be limited due to having to share a television/PC/home console with others, and therefore having limited game time on these.

Personally, all the indie games I've played and loved on my Vita I would probably have never even tried on PC, maybe not even on home consoles, and many other games just feel more comfortable to play on it.
I rarely play Binding of Isaac on my boyfriend's PS4, even given the chance, but I do it all the time on my Vita.
I own both the PS3 and Vita versions of Disgaea 4, but I'm much more inclined to play it on my Vita. It just somehow feels better (maybe it just comes from being so used to playing srpgs on portables). I'm very much looking forward to playing Banner Saga on my Vita, even though I never considered getting it for my PC.
On the other hand, though, when given the choice between the PS3 and Vita versions of FFX HD, the PS3 won hands down, I really didn't want to enjoy the game in anything less than in full widescreen glory.
A lot of this comes down to personal taste but I always felt like a lot of titles feel completely at home on the Vita, and playing them I truly feel as though I'm getting the best experience I could.

(Also: yay, my first GAF post!)

I looked up Oreshika 2, and it looks pretty good too. I wish that a lot of these Japanese titles would put English subs in them. It's a pipe dream, but I can dream it.

It was announced last year by Sony that is coming over. I had hoped it was coming last year. Haven't heard much in the intervening months. Hope it comes soon?

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Going back a little in the conversation: There are always reasons to pick the portable version of a multiplat, only very frequently they're specific to people's tastes and needs. Some people prefer to be tucked in in their beds on cold nights with their Vita close by instead of sitting up to play on a screen. Some people love to be able to just put their game on hold at night and carry on with it during their morning commute. Some people may even be limited due to having to share a television/PC/home console with others, and therefore having limited game time on these.

Personally, all the indie games I've played and loved on my Vita I would probably have never even tried on PC, maybe not even on home consoles, and many other games just feel more comfortable to play on it.
I rarely play Binding of Isaac on my boyfriend's PS4, even given the chance, but I do it all the time on my Vita.
I own both the PS3 and Vita versions of Disgaea 4, but I'm much more inclined to play it on my Vita. It just somehow feels better (maybe it just comes from being so used to playing srpgs on portables). I'm very much looking forward to playing Banner Saga on my Vita, even though I never considered getting it for my PC.
On the other hand, though, when given the choice between the PS3 and Vita versions of FFX HD, the PS3 won hands down, I really didn't want to enjoy the game in anything less than in full widescreen glory.
A lot of this comes down to personal taste but I always felt like a lot of titles feel completely at home on the Vita, and playing them I truly feel as though I'm getting the best experience I could.

I haven't had the dilemma of having to choose between Vita/PS3 very often. Most games I've bought that have been available for both have been cross buy, thankfully.

However, I recently had to think about if I wanted to buy Dynasty Warriors 8 for the Vita or the PS3. On the one hand, I love playing on handhelds. There's something special about putting on some good headphones and sinking into another world for a while. In many ways it's a much more immersive experience than playing on the big screen because you're so close to the medium. On the other hand, I wanted to also be able to play it with a friend. The latter weighed more heavily for me though, so I decided on the PS3 version this time.

I feel you, for me portables just fits my lifestyle way better and even when I am at home, chillin' on the couch with my Vita + Headphones is a very relaxing and immersive experience. Welcome to GAF.

Well that just make my day. Support these games, so we can get more to come over.

Oreshika will be mine when(ever) it comes over.

RedSwirl

While your complaining is valid, somehow you missed a bunch of games are coming over that fills the need of what you mentioned. "Operation Abyss" is coming, and I believe "Stranger of the sword city" will, too, although it hasn't been announced yet.

It's not the lacking of games. It's the lacking of exposure for Vita's games outside of Japan. This could be a factor of small userbase, small marketing from Sony, or simply because of the small budget.

You may want to take a look at Tactic Ogre if you like FFTactic. I'd rather play Disgaea, though.

If only more games with that kind of art direction came out of Japan. I'm not holding my breath though. Again, I'd love to see a genre-by-genre breakdown of the Vita's library.

I'd like to think most people in the west don't like playing games on handhelds to the exclusion of playing them on consoles/PC. You see it in threads all over forums like GAF. Like I described earlier, it's different with other media because with books or music these days you have to option to run the media on whatever you want after buying it once. You buy a Kindle book and you can read it on just about anything. You download a movie you can watch it on your TV or your portable device after only paying for it once.

We're not really there yet with handheld games, so traditional handhelds still need to justify themselves with exclusives, at least in the west. The people in western territories who prefer handhelds as their primary systems for core gaming are a niche, and that's why the traditional handheld market is dying outside Japan, or at least turning into a tiny niche. It's a simple matter of lifestyle. People in Japan might spend a significant amount of time on public transportation, and maybe a few people in western territories are in a position to be in front of a portable screen most of the time, but most game consumers over here spend more time in front of a TV.

I think things will get better in the west when cross-buy and cross-play between portable screens and TVs becomes more standardized. Sony's getting there with cross-buy. If I were buying all those indie games on PS3/PS4 I'd gladly play them on a console at home and then switch to the handheld when I'm away. I think the real holy grail though might be whenever we get portable Windows devices that can actually do gaming. We've already got $99 tablets just barely able to run Crysis. I'm not even asking to run Crysis on a handheld, just the Steam copy of La-Mulana I already bought instead of having to pay for it again to have it on Vita.

I can't understand the "most of these games either are on other plattform or will be" mentality.

Then why would you buy any system? most PS3, X360, PS4, Xbone and PC games are multiplat with few good exclusives. Just like the Vita. WiiU is full of nearly just exclusives and is the last selling system.

Well this is why a chunk of people have decided to basically stick with a Wii U and a PC this generation. The different platforms today are no longer unique libraries but really more like competing services offering the same content in different ways, or maybe competing operating systems. People have their reasons for sticking with Android or iOS even though they offer most of the same essential software. People are starting to pick up the Wii U for its exclusives, but only as a secondary system. I am frankly done with all this "each system has to have its own library," phase.

But, as long as handhelds can't just run a portion of what you already bought on a console/PC (or vice versa), they're going to need exclusives to justify themselves in western territories. That's what I think justified all Nintendo's handhelds in the west up until now.

Maid

Banned
For multiplats, if both are equal I go for Vita. If a good portion of content is cut from the Vita version, I'm" more likely to swing towards home consoles and even then that depends on kind of game it is. EDIT: and yeah, God Eater 2 RB can't come soon enough, loved God Eater Burst for the PSP.

The funny thing is, most of the time the Vita port is the superior version, but people would refuse to play it anyway.

We're not really there yet with handheld games, so traditional handhelds still need to justify themselves with exclusives, at least in the west. The people in western territories who prefer handhelds as their primary systems for core gaming are a niche, and that's why the traditional handheld market is dying outside Japan, or at least turning into a tiny niche. It's a simple matter of lifestyle. People in Japan might spend a significant amount of time on public transportation, and maybe a few people in western territories are in a position to be in front of a portable screen most of the time, but most game consumers over here spend more time in front of a TV.

The Asia is picking up with handheld, though, so I wouldn't say it's dying outside of Japan. It's always been the region of PC and pirating rampaging, but recently people started to buy games more and according to some reports (Vita's number of last year has that mystery 750k hardwares sold outside of JP/EU/NA, or SAO's number). The only problem is most developers think Asia = Chinese. If they bother to localize the game in English (yes, I know Chinese is easier to localize than English due to the similarity in character space), I do think most games will do better. Currently all great looking games are either in Japanese or Chinese.

The day that Asia has good PS+ support and most games in the region are in English instead of Chinese, even broken English, is the day I will abandon my NA account.

After going over my list of games, and upcoming list of vita games that I would like to buy, I decided to price some of them out on amazon and gamestop just to get an idea. I was just wondering, what's the deal with Disgaea 4? Did that game have a limited run on Vita or something?

On amazon, the prices are up to at least $50 approximately, and i did a store search for gamestop, and only one store in my area had it. I actually ran there tonight to pick it up because of how hard to find it seemed to me. Only paid $25 with a coupon I had.

tr4656

After going over my list of games, and upcoming list of vita games that I would like to buy, I decided to price some of them out on amazon and gamestop just to get an idea. I was just wondering, what's the deal with Disgaea 4? Did that game have a limited run on Vita or something?

On amazon, the prices are up to at least $50 approximately, and i did a store search for gamestop, and only one store in my area had it. I actually ran there tonight to pick it up because of how hard to find it seemed to me. Only paid $25 with a coupon I had.

It was just $20 on PSN a couple days ago.

tr4656

I'm building a collection for one. And two, I prefer to have something physical that I won't lose because some contract ends, or sony decides to drop support for my PSTV in a few years because it flopped.

Makes sense. I just don't like having the stuff taking space and managing/carrying around the cards is a serious pain.

Makes sense. I just don't like having the stuff taking space and managing/carrying around the cards is a serious pain.

Vita games are basically played like a home console for me since I only own a PSTV at the moment. I may get a regular Vita at some point in case I want to continue an adventure on the go, but I prefer playing games on a TV instead of hunched over on a handheld.

antibolo

Banned

I love this post.

I shall call it: The Handheld Paradox.

Maid

Banned
I love this post.

I shall call it: The Handheld Paradox.

I think it's still better than wishing all Vita games to be on console because "let it be exclusive on Vita is just sending the IP to their death".

Why aren't we getting Dragon Dogma 2, then?

Is La Mulana still coming this month? There is no buzz around that..

Talk about games perfect for the Vita...I have it on PC but I'd much rather play it on a handheld. Maybe I just associate metroidvanias and exploration platformers with handhelds these days because of all the time I logged into the DS/GBA titles. Also, Symphony of the Night on Vita.

I'm half tempted to throw together a basic website that lists all vita games with fast filters for genre and developer, squash that no games myth for good. A lot of work doing it retroactively though, which is why i'd keep it basic, otherwise take too long to populate with games. Did a site recently for my Transformer toy collection, took forever to take pics but shows what i mean www.transformersearch.com . Made the mistake with this one of having too many parameters to filter on, too much data entry! At least i could source Vita boxes on the net...

Or should i just wait for Vita 2 :D

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm half tempted to throw together a basic website that lists all vita games with fast filters for genre and developer, squash that no games myth for good. A lot of work doing it retroactively though, which is why i'd keep it basic, otherwise take too long to populate with games. Did a site recently for my Transformer toy collection, took forever to take pics but shows what i mean www.transformersearch.com . Made the mistake with this one of having too many parameters to filter on, too much data entry! At least i could source Vita boxes on the net...

Or should i just wait for Vita 2 :D

Wow what a jump in the past looking at the toys i owned or wanted! :D
Great work ;)
About Vita 2... For the moment is better to enjoy Vita without waiting for a successor(i'm not 100% excluding there will be one though).

Top Bottom