• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (OVER ~350 games with screens inside!) || 2015 Edition ||

chumby

Neo Member
I dont understand this. Looking at all those games.....wh is the vita not insanely successful?

I appreciate the Vita for its selection of indie games and legacy titles, but the new releases don't interest me in the least. I suspect, like me, many people are turned off by the pervasive anime influence in the Vita library.

Jazz573

*The English version of Moero Chronicle has been released in Asia by IdeaFactory under the name Moe Chronicle / The game is the successor to Monster Monpiece. Here are some screens and the box art:
image_thumb22.png

image21.png

image22.png

image24.png

*Atlus are localizing the Aquaplus-developed dungeon RPG Dungeon Travelers 2: The Royal Library & the Monster Seal for the Vita, set for release this summer, digitally and physically. Here's the English trailer.
Dungeon-Travelers-2-Atlus-Ann.jpg

fVJZtQD.jpg

2015-03-27-115510.jpg

Pre-ordered & first print copies will come with a calendar as well.
DT2_GlamShot_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately these games are banned from discussion on GAF. Also one of your images for DT2 is from a banned site.

Skyzard

Banned
Small update guys, some work came up, update 5 will come tomorrow God willing. Hope you guys enjoyed the 4 updates today!! Hope u look forward to it and enjoy it :)

Great job with the updates, added a few to my list to get, cheers.

Axiom verge
Mighty no. 9
Resident Evil Revelations 2
Super Time Force Ultra
Shiren the Wanderer 5 Plus
Driftstage - was really keen on this after playing the PC alpha demo. So damn good, really can't wait.

A few others in a maybe list. Ah, think I already shared ha, my bad.

Takao

Banned
Wow, Taiko V looks phenomenal. Odds of a US release are good, I hope.

Yeah, I don't know about that. While there wouldn't be a tonne of text to localize (though Taiko does have RPG-esque modes ...) the licensing would be a nightmare. BN's western branches don't seem keen on localizing Vita exclusives either.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I don't know about that. While there wouldn't be a tonne of text to localize (though Taiko does have RPG-esque modes ...) the licensing would be a nightmare. BN's western branches don't seem keen on localizing Vita exclusives either.

Well, you can't get more import friendly than a rhythm game. Heck, it comes with the territory.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I appreciate the Vita for its selection of indie games and legacy titles, but the new releases don't interest me in the least. I suspect, like me, many people are turned off by the pervasive anime influence in the Vita library.
People didn't buy the Vita when it was the ultimate AAA portable either. Quality AAA games didn't do it. Quality indies didn't do it. Quality Japanese games didn't do it. There really isn't anything that could have made the Vita a success. It's the case of a system where most people decided they didn't care well before it released.

People didn't buy the Vita when it was the ultimate AAA portable either. Quality AAA games didn't do it. Quality indies didn't do it. Quality Japanese games didn't do it. There really isn't anything that could have made the Vita a success. It's the case of a system where most people decided they didn't care well before it released.

I love my vita, I have Final Fantasy 1-9 + Tactics, MGS 1-3, Persona 1-4, Mega Man 1-4 X4/X5, Metal Slug Anthology, An amazing backlog of PSP games, Great indies, Some awesome exclusives and weird Japanese shit, all in my pocket on the go. I don't think I've heard a single person who actually bought a vita complain about it. The problem is convincing people to get one.

cj_iwakura

Hannah Montana edition, it's not too late.

I love my vita, I have Final Fantasy 1-9 + Tactics, MGS 1-3, Persona 1-4, Mega Man 1-4 X4/X5, Metal Slug Anthology, An amazing backlog of PSP games, Great indies, Some awesome exclusives and weird Japanese shit, all in my pocket on the go. I don't think I've heard a single person who actually bought a vita complain about it. The problem is convincing people to get one.

I must say, these are the most accurate consecutive posts ever made about the overall state of the Vita. This shit needs reposting every time someone says the Vita is where it's at because "Sony didn't care".

Takao

Banned
Well, you can't get more import friendly than a rhythm game. Heck, it comes with the territory.

Yeah. Who knows how that will play out, Taiko might even get a Hong Kong release in English or something. The Vita game will be the first to get a Chinese translation.

Vita was never the "ultimate AAA portable." A Call of Duty spinoff thrown together in a couple of months, a mediocre Assassin's Creed (which was apparently successful), some ports and Uncharted (which was apparently successful) mean little. Western games in general didn't mean much to PSP, but that platform's best selling western games are either MIA on Vita or exist as low key ports. SCEA then torpedoed the platform into obscurity after holiday 2012.

You know what could have made Vita a success, at least in Asia? Looking at what made PSP one and ensuring Vita was a proper followup. Instead of investing in guarantees, Sony spent money on derivatives. Instead of looking at the market and realizing that out of ecosystem multi-platform development wasn't going to exist unless they did something, they twiddled their thumbs. Imagine how well PS4 would be selling if things like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Gran Turismo and GTA were either exclusive to XB1 or completely MIA. That's Vita's situation. The games that sold its predecessor never came.

Some new Vita games have popped up on Amazon France, all published by Bigben. No release dates or anything yet.

Rugby World Cup 2015
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00XQCYF6E/

Handball 16
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00XQCYF5U/

Zombie Pinball
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00XQCYFBE/

From what I can tell Zombie Pinball's a port (remake?) of a mobile game from 2012. It's getting a digital release on Wii U/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, but apparently Vita and 3DS have the honour of a physical release. It doesn't look very good going by screenshots, but I'm always keen for more pinball.

redcrayon

For me, the combination of PSOne, PSP, PSV, PSN and indie games, combined with great controls, sleep mode and a battery life that drains very slowly when in stand-by make it a fantastic portable. I must have 50+ great games installed on mine. I know most gamers want a machine to live or die by it's exclusive library, but gaming is an old hobby of mine, and I have just as much affection for the sheer range of classics available for it as I do for the latest stuff.

For all the reasons it's flopped, the hardware isn't one of them for me. Probably my favourite portable yet in terms of hardware design. I'll be using it for years to come, and probably buying a spare when they are finally discontinued.

Tom Happ is waiting on Sony to make MonoGame Engine support for the Vita, which they are actively working on with Axiom Verge as their test game.

As soon as Sony makes those tools available, the Vita port will begin full force. Tom Happ says the Vita version is his most frequent request.

Cool, thank you. Good to hear. Day 1 purchase for me

Takao

Banned
Some new Vita games have popped up on Amazon France, all published by Bigben. No release dates or anything yet.

Rugby World Cup 2015

Handball 16

Zombie Pinball

From what I can tell Zombie Pinball's a port (remake?) of a mobile game from 2012. It's getting a digital release on Wii U/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, but apparently Vita and 3DS have the honour of a physical release. It doesn't look very good going by screenshots, but I'm always keen for more pinball.

vita will get handball and like a dozen rugby games before hockey or basketball

Rugby World Cup 2015

Handball 16

Zombie Pinball

too many nahmsayin's

hqdefault.jpg

someone must have told shovelware companies how to exploit Vita collectors

I don't know. I just got a Vita yesterday and am overwhelmed with the amount of games I want to play.

I guess a lot of these games are huge in Japan but not in NA?

I dont understand this. Looking at all those games.....wh is the vita not insanely successful?

If you love indie games, legacy titles, and the AAA games released in the early life cycle of the system that you have not played yet (Metal Gear HD, Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, God of War Collection, etc), the Vita is basically the best thing in the world. I never owned a PS1 or a PSP, and those catalogs alone are worth double the price I paid for my Vita. If its only purpose were to play these games, I would get years of enjoyment out of it.

It's also my favorite place to play indie games and sidescrollers, and I don't play PC games. So when games like Axiom Verge hit Vita, it's the embodiment of #BetterOnVita for me. It's the only system I can play these tremendous games. So the indies are carrying me to the promised land. The existing and expanding indie catalog is diverse and extremely high quality.

But these Japanese anime games? You couldn't pay me, or most Americans, to play these games. No amount of "core gameplay" is going to sell Monster Monpiece. Even huge hits like Persona 4 (which I have) are alienating because they are "anime games."

Anime is not just an art style. Really, it is, but that's not how it is seen. It is equated with cartoons, and they are cartoons watched by weird people that mainstream Americans do not want to associate with. The Vita having a host of creepy cartoon games is not appealing to any player base outside of Japan, where even then it caters to the tastes of Otakus.

The fact that the Vita has no less than three popular games banned on GAF is a testament to this. Games like Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice might be great, but they are unappealing to the mainstream gamer who views them as "Japanese games" in a way they do not view Bloodborne, Zelda, or Metal Gear.

Since the Vita only sells well in Japan and is popular with Otakus, it gets a lot of Otaku games, which create an esoteric environment of new games that most people will never want to play. So why buy a Vita? :(

Takao

Banned
The fact that the Vita has no less than three popular games banned on GAF is a testament to this. Games like Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice might be great, but they are unappealing to the mainstream gamer who views them as "Japanese games" in a way they do not view Bloodborne, Zelda, or Metal Gear.

The Vita games that have been banned are all <75k sellers in Japan. Those aren't "popular" games even in their native market. The internet has a tendency to blow up things to heights far greater than their actual reach.

Soul Sacrifice is so divorced from "anime norms" that I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Everything about it is far closer to Bloodborne than Freedom Wars. It's not popular because it got sent to die with next to 0 push in the west, lacks a marketable art style in Japan and is part of a genre where only now, 10 years after its introduction, the leader is finally making headway in the west. If it had been super anime, it probably would've been more popular!

The Vita games that have been banned are all <75k sellers in Japan. Those aren't "popular" games even in their native market. The internet has a tendency to blow up things to heights far greater than their actual reach.

Soul Sacrifice is so divorced from "anime norms" that I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Everything about it is far closer to Bloodborne than Freedom Wars. It's not popular because it got sent to die with next to 0 push in the west, lacks a marketable art style in Japan and is part of a genre where only now, 10 years after its introduction, the leader is finally making headway in the west.

Don't get mad at me, friend. Vita is my favorite thing and has been since I got it last year. As an ambassador for the Vita I've managed to sell several friends on them, but have failed to with several more. It always involves breaking down their point of view of the device, if they've even heard of it, and that's the point of view I described above.

That's not MY opinion, it's the opinion of people who aren't interested in a Vita. We talk a lot about Vita games sent to die, but a game like Oreshika would never appeal to these people anyway.

Takao

Banned
Don't get mad at me, friend. Vita is my favorite thing and has been since I got it last year. As an ambassador for the Vita I've managed to sell several friends on them, but have failed to with several more. It always involves breaking down their point of view of the device, if they've even heard of it, and that's the point of view I described above.

That's not MY opinion, it's the opinion of people who aren't interested in a Vita. We talk a lot about Vita games sent to die, but a game like Oreshika would never appeal to these people anyway.

I never mentioned Oreshika in my reply ... That game isn't really anime either, though it's super Japanese. For something like that, the "sent to die" comments were more in regards to notifying anyone of its existence pre-release than trying for the mainstream.

I wish Vita would've had a Share button, then and now. Vita enthusiasts (even some of the journos) have always had to pick up the slack trying to "evangelize" the system where Sony never did.

redcrayon

It's also my favorite place to play indie games and sidescrollers, and I don't play PC games. So when games like Axiom Verge hit Vita, it's the embodiment of #BetterOnVita for me. It's the only system I can play these tremendous games. So the indies are carrying me to the promised land. The existing and expanding indie catalog is diverse and extremely high quality.
This is definitely true for me. I don't have a PC or a PS4, so those indie games might as well be Vita exclusives to me. Without a Vita, I never would have played Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Terraria or Hotline Miami.

Moobabe

This is definitely true for me. I don't have a PC or a PS4, so those indie games might as well be Vita exclusives to me. Without a Vita, I never would have played Rogue Legacy, Spelunky, Terraria or Hotline Miami.

Rogue Legacy and Spelunk, for me at least, may as well be Vita exclusive simply because I think it's the best place to play them. Suspend/resume is a god send for rogue likes.

I never mentioned Oreshika in my reply ... That game isn't really anime either, though it's super Japanese. For something like that, the "sent to die" comments were more in regards to notifying anyone of its existence pre-release than trying for the mainstream.

I know you didn't mention it. I was speaking abstractly. Oreshika was just another game Sony sent out to die, with a stealth release and no marketing. It's the most recent game people refer to when discussing "sent to die" games and why the Vita struggles.

I am attempting to represent the dismissive point of view mainstream gamers have towards the Vita because of their perceptions of what a Japanese catalog is and means. That's all. I'm just relating sentiments that others have expressed to me in my own experience.

This is a very odd thing to open with given the response Takao gave you. Responding with a counter-point =/= "getting mad"

I'm not sure if my tone is being misread or if my posts are unclear, but it seems like a few people are taking my posts super-literally. I don't think Takao is angry. I was clarifying my own point of view versus the third-party amalgamous one I had expressed above with a mild facetiousness.

Xieldos

Does anyone know much about Steins:Gate? I see it's out next month and I really loved VLR and the Danganronpa games, does anyone know if it's like those at all? Really looking for something to fill the void those games have created for me...

Does anyone know much about Steins:Gate? I see it's out next month and I really loved VLR and the Danganronpa games, does anyone know if it's like those at all? Really looking for something to fill the void those games have created for me...

If you enjoyed the visual novel aspects of those games, with all the mystery and science/pseudoscience, I think you'd really like it. There's not really much in the way of gameplay like the puzzle-solving or class trials, but there are some decisions and branching paths, and like Danganronpa it has some optional character interaction on the side through phone messaging (and some responses are important to get certain endings...)

Also, I like the cast of characters more than either of those games. The protagonist is amazing.

It's pure VN so only reading.

Xieldos

If you enjoyed the visual novel aspects of those games, with all the mystery and science/pseudoscience, I think you'd really like it. There's not really much in the way of gameplay like the puzzle-solving or class trials, but there are some decisions and branching paths, and like Danganronpa it has some optional character interaction on the side through phone messaging (and some responses are important to get certain endings...)

Also, I like the cast of characters more than either of those games. The protagonist is amazing.

Sounds like it might be right up my alley actually. I think I'll dive in when it comes out, thanks.

Fady K

Here's the latest update folks :) I'll have another update tomorrow that will include this week's new releases and more of the latest news that you may have missed from the last few days. Enjoy!

NEW GAME ANNOUNCEMENTS

Aquaplus announced Utawareruno: False Mask for the Vita. The game is a hybrid of visual novel & simulation RPG is coming out in Japan on September 24. Not many screens at the moment, though Aquaplus revealed a live action trailer.
Utawawerumono-2_Fami-shot_04-08-15_005.jpg

i1NenjG.jpg

* Himawari: Pebble in the Sky has been announced for the Vita by Prototype. The game is another visual novel for the Vita and is scheduled for Japan sometime in 2015. This game is an enhanced port of the PSP version.
4ZUU1OH.jpg

*Another upcoming game from Prototype for the Vita (also a visual novel & an enhanced version of a PSP port) - Amatsumi Sora ni! Kumo no Hatate ni .
1OVSssI.jpg

RELEASE DATE UPDATES

*Compile Heart's visual novel Date A Live: Twin Edition Rio Reincarnation will be hitting Japan on July 30. Here's a new video of the opening of the game.
da05_thumb.jpg

da01.jpg

da02.jpg

* Gal Gun: Double Peace from Alchemist & Inti Creates (Mighty No. 9, Koji Igarashi's upcoming game, Mega Man Zero games, Mega Man 9 + 10) are releasing the action game in Japan on August 6. Here's a new trailer
galgunW_thumb.jpg

w1xSsRJ.jpg

*Infinite Stratos 2: Love and Purge is scheduled to release on the Vita on September 3.
is201_thumb.jpg

is202.jpg

qLjXmHll.jpg

* Ray Gigant , Bandai Namco's upcoming Experience-developed dungeon RPG now has a Japanese release date - July 30. Here's a new trailer.
Ray-Gigant-Dated-JP.jpg

Ray-Gigant_04-02-15_004.jpg

Ray-Gigant_Dengeki-shot_04-13-15_004-600x340.jpg

NEW GAME MEDIA

Forgotten Memories: Alternate Realities has already been released for iOS devices and the survival horror game is shaping up nicely for a summer release on the Vita with two new game modes and extra content. Have a look at the new trailer.
fg_thumb.jpg

mm_thumb1.jpg

forg_thumb.jpg

* Cross Ange: Rondo of Angels & Dragons from Bandai Namco is nearly out in Japan (in 10 days). The mech action game based on the anime has a new 5 minute trailer.
Cross-Ange-PV_04-28-15.jpg

g9D1jGq.jpg

* World Trigger: Borderless Mission , the upcoming action game from Bandai Namco based on the anime and manga has new screens to be shared (as well as the debut trailer)
WTBL_04-06-15_001.jpg

WTBL_04-06-15_002.jpg

WTBL_04-06-15_003.jpg

WTBL_04-06-15_004.jpg

LOCALIZATION UPDATES

Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess will come out in the west, Koei Tecmo has confirmed. The game is an enhanced version of the Vita game, Deception IV: Blood Ties. The awesome looking trap simulator will be coming out digitally on July 14th in North America and July 17th in Europe. Check out the live action trailer.
Deception-IV-West-July.jpg

NEW GAME INFO

Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni has received a new preview up at Gematsu full of new gameplay and character details. It is the next game from the producer of the Senran Kagura games and is due in Japan later in the year.
Valkyrie-Drive-Bhikkhuni_2015_03-30-15_001.jpg

p55O3OU.jpg

*Junichi Yoshizawa, producer of Freedom Wars said at a recent fan event in Japan that a sequel very much depends on fan demand. He uses Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines as an example of a game that came out as a result of fan demand.
FW-Sequel-User-Voice_03-30-15.jpg

*The visual novel game on the Vita based on the Tokyo Ghoul anime has been renamed to Tokyo Ghoul Jail (previously known as Tokyo Ghoul Masquerader). Here are some screens:
Tokyo-Ghoul-Jail-Rename.jpg

Tokyo-Ghoul-Jail_2015_04-16-15_002.jpg

Tokyo-Ghoul-Jail_2015_04-16-15_003.jpg_600.jpg

Top Bottom