• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

I wish I could locate a nice 14" PVM so I can toss my stupidly huge & inconvenient 80cm Trinitron but it seems like overpriced 9" monitors are all I can find.

Peltz

Mine is pretty bollocks but I'll start it anyway. Just taking some snaps now too. Monitors on I'd say

do-it.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Where am I going to get the best BNC -> female SCART adapter for my PVM? Also, should I buy SCART or JP21 cables or does it not really matter? I plan on buying a Framemeister at some point in the future, for whatever that's worth.

BTails

where can i buy a quality rgb-21 cable for my super famicom for a good price?

retro_console_accessories on eBay is what I use (As do many in this thread, I suspect, and her work is awesome. Phenomenal cables for pretty much any system under the sun, available in EURO SCART or JP-21.

retro_console_accessories on eBay is what I use (As do many in this thread, I suspect, and her work is awesome. Phenomenal cables for pretty much any system under the sun, available in EURO SCART or JP-21.

hmm... i found her, but it does't appear that she has anything listed on ebay for sale. i'll keep an eye out. thanks for the heads up!

Where am I going to get the best BNC -> female SCART adapter for my PVM? Also, should I buy SCART or JP21 cables or does it not really matter? I plan on buying a Framemeister at some point in the future, for whatever that's worth.

This guy sells good SCART > BNC cables of all types. Go with SCART, not JP21. If/when you end up getting a framemeister then just get the SCART > JP21 adapter for it.

This guy sells good SCART > BNC cables of all types. Go with SCART, not JP21. If/when you end up getting a framemeister then just get the SCART > JP21 adapter for it.

why should i go with scary instead of jp21? my understanding is that the framemeister comes with the adapter i need to go from jp21 into the framemeister. does scary have an advantage over jp21? also, this is for a super famicom. not sure if that makes a difference.

baphomet

why should i go with scary instead of jp21? my understanding is that the framemeister comes with the adapter i need to go from jp21 into the framemeister. does scary have an advantage over jp21? also, this is for a super famicom. not sure if that makes a difference.

If you ever want to buy a switch you should go with scart.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Looks like retro_console_accessories is currently on hiatus or something? Literally nothing in the store? Has she done this in the past and if so - how long does it usually take for her to come back?

Conversely, whats the general consensus on retrogamingcables.com?

Khaz

You have way more options when it comes to cables, switch boxes and adapters with Scart. JP21 is much rarer and more expensive. Everything Scart plus a single Scart to Jp21 adapter is the way to go.

You have way more options when it comes to cables, switch boxes and adapters with Scart. JP21 is much rarer and more expensive. Everything Scart plus a single Scart to Jp21 adapter is the way to go.

huh, interesting. all i want to do is go from a super famicom to a framemeister to a hdmi input on lcd. i can't imagine ever doing anything other than that. should i still go scart?

Bar81

huh, interesting. all i want to do is go from a super famicom to a framemeister to a hdmi input on lcd. i can't imagine ever doing anything other than that. should i still go scart?

In that case just buy the japanese RGB cable from Nintendo and you're done.

Looks like retro_console_accessories is currently on hiatus or something? Literally nothing in the store? Has she done this in the past and if so - how long does it usually take for her to come back?

Conversely, whats the general consensus on retrogamingcables.com?

She does that every so often. People say that retrogamingcables.com cables are inferior to hers so I never got any from them other then one of my SCART>BNC cables.

Khaz

What people?

*raises hand*
retrogamingcables are not shielded, resulting in crosstalk between the wires. It makes a quite prominent humming in the audio when you are displaying a light picture. You can get them if you only use the video portion of the signal and get the audio from somewhere else (the front jack on a Mega Drive or an Audio-out mod). But otherwise, they are nasty.

Peltz

*raises hand*
retrogamingcables are not shielded, resulting in crosstalk between the wires. It makes a quite prominent humming in the audio when you are displaying a light picture. You can get them if you only use the video portion of the signal and get the audio from somewhere else (the front jack on a Mega Drive or an Audio-out mod). But otherwise, they are nasty.

Khaz isn't the only one. Over the months since I've joined a few others have expressed their frustrations with retrogamingcables.

Retro_console_accessories will be back soon. She's probably just on vacation. She often closes shop for a week or so at a time only to be back soon thereafter. I'd wait for her.

Bar81

*raises hand*

Fair enough. The ones I have are fine; I haven't bought any of their cheaper cables.

Edit: the ones I purchased were shielded and pulled stereo from the headphone jacks on the MD and NG - apparently these cables are not offered anymore.

Here's the MD one:
http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...reo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-pro-build.html

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
*raises hand*

What if I'm just nabbing the SCART -> Framemeister converter from them? Retro_console_accesories hasn't had any up for sale for weeks and I want to be able to jump in with the framemeister as soon as that tax return gets here :(

Peltz

What if I'm just nabbing the SCART -> Framemeister converter from them? Retro_console_accesories hasn't had any up for sale for weeks and I want to be able to jump in with the framemeister as soon as that tax return gets here :(

Message her for a timeframe as to when they'll be available.

Khaz

I'm now officially in the hunt for a widescreen CRT HDTV, 66cm minimum (81cm would be ideal). I'm planning to use it with Component for my not-so-retro consoles like the PS2, Wii, Xbox, and the future Xbox360. These displays are quite uncommon in Europe but I saw ads for two of them last month when I couldn't get them, for like 50€. Wish me luck!

I'm now officially in the hunt for a widescreen CRT HDTV, 66cm minimum (81cm would be ideal). I'm planning to use it with Component for my not-so-retro consoles like the PS2, Wii, Xbox, and the future Xbox360. These displays are quite uncommon in Europe but I saw ads for two of them last month when I couldn't get them, for like 50€. Wish me luck!

when I bought my CRT (Panasonic flat 21") in 2001, component was not so popular but I clearly remember that after a couple of year most of CRT had it
a friend of mine bought a Pana CRT and used a component to hook up his GC, it was around 2003 or 2004
around same time I gave to my parents a DVD player for Xmas and it had component input

Maybe you just have to search for it without being in a hurry :)

Peltz

when I bought my CRT (Panasonic flat 21") in 2001, component was not so popular but I clearly remember that after a couple of year most of CRT had it
a friend of mine bought a Pana CRT and used a component to hook up his GC, it was around 2003 or 2004
around same time I gave to my parents a DVD player for Xmas and it had component input

Maybe you just have to search for it without being in a hurry :)

I have a broadcast monitor from 1991 that has component inputs. They're definitely out there even if they're hard to find. I'd like to find a widescreen one too :)

goldenpp72

So i'm interested in hooking up a Dreamcast to an HDTV and a framemeister potentially, but have also heard VGA input is the best way to handle DC. It seems most HDTVs don't support VGA anymore, so with that being said, what is the best way to hook up a DC to a newer HDTV?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So i'm interested in hooking up a Dreamcast to an HDTV and a framemeister potentially, but have also heard VGA input is the best way to handle DC. It seems most HDTVs don't support VGA anymore, so with that being said, what is the best way to hook up a DC to a newer HDTV?
Either of these:

VGA box (any) -> VGA-to-component transcoder -> TV component input
VGA box (Toro) -> Framemeister -> TV HDMI input

The Toro and other VGA boxes by Beharbros are generally regarded as the ones to get because they have proper support for both 480p and 240p games. Other VGA boxes won't get you 240p support without modding. I believe that the Toro can be more easily connected to a Framemeister than the other models.

If you forego the Framemeister, then you want a simple component transcoder that doesn't do any scaling. Modern TVs of decent quality are at least competent when it comes to handling 480p component sources.

goldenpp72

Either of these:

The Toro and other VGA boxes by Beharbros are generally regarded as the ones to get because they have proper support for both 480p and 240p games. Other VGA boxes won't get you 240p support without modding. I believe that the Toro can be more easily connected to a Framemeister than the other models.

If you forego the Framemeister, then you want a simple component transcoder that doesn't do any scaling. Modern TVs of decent quality are at least competent when it comes to handling 480p component sources.

So looking at that box, and please note I don't know a lot about this stuff at all yet, I see that it has a scart plug and a vga plug. Is there such a thing as a dreamcast scart cable, and if so, what would be the benefit of using that box vs just that method? I'm pretty confused about the whole thing which is why i'm here, I only just recently learned there was a difference between scart in japan and Europe, so i'm trying to dodge any bullets a novice might run into before spending the cash, heh. I don't own a framemeister yet (working on it) but to my understanding it doesn't have a VGA input right?

IrishNinja

this is the part where i again mention the option of having a VGA box modded to support RGB, as well as SCART cable use for framemeister/etc

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
this is the part where i again mention the option of having a VGA box modded to support RGB, as well as SCART cable use for framemeister/etc

How?

Edit: Is this adapter a good idea if I want to connect my Dreamcast to my PVM and/or Plasma TV (which doesn't have VGA)?

http://www.beharbros.com/#!kenzei/cvhd

Is this VGA to component?

televator

How?

Edit: Is this adapter a good idea if I want to connect my Dreamcast to my PVM and/or Plasma TV (which doesn't have VGA)?

http://www.beharbros.com/#!kenzei/cvhd

Is this VGA to component?

Those good folks have various models of the VGA box. The one you want for RGB Scart is the Toro. That's the one I wanna get as well. It's pretty much the perfect VGA box. No need to modify and it's built with quality... Sorry Ninja.

The Toro allows you to switch between 15 khz RGB for games that don't support VGA and/or for connecting to the Framemmeister, and 31 khz VGA for games that will run in 480p.

goldenpp72

Those good folks have various models of the VGA box. The one you want for RGB Scart is the Toro. That's the one I wanna get as well. It's pretty much the perfect VGA box. No need to modify and it's built with quality... Sorry Ninja.

Is scart superior to VGA in the dreamcast case?

Sixfortyfive

Don't bother with SCART for Dreamcast unless you can confirm that it supports 480p. I can never remember which consoles work in that configuration.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

The Toro allows you to switch between 15 khz RGB for games that don't support VGA and/or for connecting to the Framemmeister, and 31 khz VGA for games that will run in 480p.

Well I already have a VGA box for my Dreamcast. The adapter also says it can be used with Scart as the input so if I can connect my Sega Saturn and SNES to it via Scart and use component as the output that would be useful.

televator

Is scart superior to VGA in the dreamcast case?

VGA on Dreamcast is beautiful and in smooth 480p... I can't imagine 240p RGB being superior outside of 2D games where scanlines are more appropriate.

So yeah if a game supports 480p on the DC (and most do) I wouldn't bother with RGB unless it's a sprite based game with original 240p assets.

Well I already have a VGA box for my Dreamcast. The adapter also says it can be used with Scart as the input so if I can connect my Sega Saturn and SNES to it via Scart and use component as the output that would be useful.

Are you saying you already have a Toro or are you using a VGA box that'll go ahead and send the RGB signal over the 15 pin out? I know the latter is possible, but I never found if the ones you referred to would do it. Plus I think it requires more massaging since I don't think many display devices will recognize that.

goldenpp72

VGA on Dreamcast is beautiful and in smooth 480p... I can't imagine 240p RGB being superior outside of 2D games where scanlines are more appropriate.

So yeah if a game supports 480p on the DC (and most do) I wouldn't bother with RGB unless it's a sprite based game with original 240p assets.

But how can you hook a vga cable to a tv that doesn't have that input? Is it possible? And if so is it doable with the framemeister?

IrishNinja

^there's ways around it; presumably the Kuro allows another option? but yeah, the standard VGA to HDMI powered adapter on monoprice works, but it's not ideal

a guy on the SHMUPs forum, installed another switch (VGA/RGB) & made it so i don't have to use a crappy VGA to HDMI adapter for my XRGB mini, plus i like having it over SCART as well

It's pretty much the perfect VGA box. No need to modify and it's built with quality... Sorry Ninja.

it's cool, i mean the Kuro looks good as well, but if you already have a good VGA box, i found my option to be cheaper/more ideal. just want to put it out there in case anyone else is in that spot.

*edit: wait does the Kuro support RGB as well? because the guy taking preorders on assembler made it sound (at the time) like you'd have to buy another adapter/thing with it to do that, which was another factor in my decision to pass on it

televator

But how can you hook a vga cable to a tv that doesn't have that input? Is it possible? And if so is it doable with the framemeister?

Oh right... that little conundrum. hehe

I was lucky that my old plasma had that input. Also, sets like the XM29 have it as well as it will display up to high def. I guess if your TV doesn't have the plug you could get a transcoder... JUST a transcoder, NOT a scaler. I think Sixfourtyfive is the expert on those though. So if I wanted a recommendation for a VGA to HDMI or Component transcoder, I'd ask him/her.

Speedwagon

Are you saying you already have a Toro or are you using a VGA box that'll go ahead and send the RGB signal over the 15 pin out? I know the latter is possible, but I never found if the ones you referred to would do it. Plus I think it requires more massaging since I don't think many display devices will recognize that.

Well I have 2 VGA boxes... The cheap clear one
and one that looks similar to this

You're saying they might not be compatible with the Kenzei?

Sixfortyfive

I'm going to repeat myself:

Either of these:

The component transcoder is what you get if you don't have or want a Framemeister and are only concerned with VGA sources like the Dreamcast. It's cheaper than a dedicated upscaler, and component transcoders are usually superior to HDMI converters because those often screw up the Dreamcast's horizontal resolution.

The Toro is what you get if you have a Framemeister. I'm actually not certain of the specifics because I own neither of them, but the Toro apparently is easier to connect to a Framemeister than their previous VGA boxes. Ask someone who has them for more details.

If you already have a different VGA box and also have a Framemeister, then you need to look into a sync-combiner so that you can connect those two devices together. I believe the Kenzei is precisely that.

Just to be clear, will they do both signals over the 15 pin connector?
I believe so. The Kuro does for sure, anyway.

IrishNinja

yeah, i have that classic cheap clear one - again, works perfect when modded, and i had the guy replace my DC battery too so it'd stop thinking it was '99, haha

All of the Beharbros VGA boxes (Kuro, Hanzo, Toro) are dual 15khz/31khz.

ah, that's good to hear - again at the time, the dude made it sound like my purposes would require Kuro + Kenzai, so if that somehow changed closer to release (?) then cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom