• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Sometimes people can't accept that CRTs just aren't worth anything anymore, and that pretty much includes PVMs too. I paid $50NZD for my 14" and I was willing to pay a premium for that because it was local to pick up, pretty much brand new, and I knew I'd get my money's worth. For a larger one I'd likely cap myself at $100. Normal CRTs here go for a buck more often than not, and a bunch of PVMs just went for under $30, so yeh.

Ramune

Very true. Picked up 2 PVMs from work since they were pretty much going to toss them away (properly of course), and they were still working (the ones I got had very minimal daily use). Puzzled why I'd want them, but it's old junk to them all the same. Probably see if they have more since my roommate wants one for his older stuff too now.

Since I'm here, and the PS2 thread pretty much ignored my question, maybe this would be the more appropriate place to ask. I ordered these and am wondering, are these cables JP 21-pin or Euro SCART?. I'm assuming JP 21-pin since this is a place that deals in Asian imports primarily, but just making sure.

PA.00267.001.jpg

baphomet

My guess is euro scart because it specifically says scart in the description.

You can find them on ebay for around that price in the us though.

TnK

Is the signal for the PS2 component cables meant to be very messy/dirty? Don't know which word to use, but it is very fuzzy.

IrishNinja

Is the signal for the PS2 component cables meant to be very messy/dirty? Don't know which word to use, but it is very fuzzy.

to an extent? i tried 2, the last one wasn't bad but still wasn't to my liking, this also affected my choice to go RGB, personally.

Yes Boss!

Really depends on the resolution on the games. The 480 stuff is fuzzy but the 240 stuff is crystal clear. I wanna get a scart cable for it as well.

Rich!

ahhhhhh

Finding a suitable RGB SCART cable for my PS1 to use with the XRGB is proving a nightmare. I don't want to order one that doesn't work - my current one doesn't, and I'm assuming it's because of a lack of composite sync.

Would going the JP21 route be a better option for this? I'm stuck.

Ramune

to an extent? i tried 2, the last one wasn't bad but still wasn't to my liking, this also affected my choice to go RGB, personally.

Can someone post an example on component's fuzziness? I use the official PS3 component cables and haven't noticed any fuzziness (also tried my roommates Monster Components).

Rich!

Is SCART Euro only? Never heard of it here in the US?

the hint is in the name

"EURO SCART"

99% of UK TV sets (CRT, LCD,HDTV) right from 1990 or so onwards to today (my 42" LG HDTV has RGB SCART) have native RGB support. I've never owned a TV without RGB support. RGB here in the UK is cheap. Like really cheap. Don't know how you guys in america cope with not having it as default with your televisions.

Hell, my SNES which I got back in 1994 was connected via RGB from day one. No composite or RF shit, just pure RGB. Of course we had to put up with 50hz, but still. The N64 stands as the only console I grew up with that I didn't have connected via RGB. RGB SCART was, up until HDMI, the standard here for nearly everything.

Ramune

the hint is in the name

"EURO SCART"

99% of UK TV sets (CRT, LCD,HDTV) right from 1990 or so onwards to today (my 42" LG HDTV has RGB SCART) have native RGB support. I've never owned a TV without RGB support. RGB here in the UK is cheap. Like really cheap. Don't know how you guys in america cope with not having it as default with your televisions.

Hell, my SNES which I got back in 1994 was connected via RGB from day one. No composite or RF shit, just pure RGB. Of course we had to put up with 50hz, but still. The N64 stands as the only console I grew up with that I didn't have connected via RGB. RGB SCART was, up until HDMI, the standard here for nearly everything.

I think back then, Americans were confused enough with composite. RGB Scart probably would have made things much simpler as it was one plug. But alas. Even back then I knew there HAD to be something better than RF, but most were of the mind "as long as it works". Wonder why it wasn't adapted here. Our closest would be the PC standards of VGA and DVI. But not till the 6th gen did we see consoles support that natively.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

It's not great, if we're talking 480i. Definitely worse than the output from the other Gen. 6 systems. In my experience, the system looks best hooked via component directly into my plasma. I tried using it with the XRGB-3 for a while, and found that the picture quality actually came out worse.

televator

Very true. Picked up 2 PVMs from work since they were pretty much going to toss them away (properly of course), and they were still working (the ones I got had very minimal daily use). Puzzled why I'd want them, but it's old junk to them all the same. Probably see if they have more since my roommate wants one for his older stuff too now.

Since I'm here, and the PS2 thread pretty much ignored my question, maybe this would be the more appropriate place to ask. I ordered these and am wondering, are these cables JP 21-pin or Euro SCART?. I'm assuming JP 21-pin since this is a place that deals in Asian imports primarily, but just making sure.

PA.00267.001.jpg

Call me paranoid, but I'd be worried about a cable like that not being the signals it advertises. Sure it has a Scart connector... but it might be feeding off the same signal as the composite portion. Thus it may not be RGB at all.

Edit: sent you a PM.

Rich!

Call me paranoid, but I'd be worried about a cable like that not being the signals it advertises. Sure it has a Scart connector... but it might be feeding off the same signal as the composite portion. Thus it may not be RGB at all.

Edit: sent you a PM.

My current RGB cable for the PS1 looks identical to that one and outputs RGB to my CRT and TV...it just doesn't work with my XRGB, for some reason.

Rich!

Are you sure you're getting RGB?

100% sure. My Mega Drive RGB SCART cable won't work with my XRGB either, but my N64 and Wii do work with it via RGB SCART. All of them output RGB perfectly to my CRT.

Here's a shot of the PS1 hooked up to my CRT with the exact same cable:

But via the XRGB, it's a blank image - no signal, yet the sound still goes through. Same with the Mega Drive, which displays this on my CRT:

I have no idea what's wrong.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
100% sure. My Mega Drive RGB SCART cable won't work with my XRGB either, but my N64 and Wii do work with it via RGB SCART. All of them output RGB perfectly to my CRT.

Here's a shot of the PS1 hooked up to my CRT with the exact same cable:

But via the XRGB, it's a blank image - no signal, yet the sound still goes through. Same with the Mega Drive, which via the same cable displays this on my CRT:
You bought a SCART adapter for the mini, right? The adapter that comes with it is JP only.

Rich!

You bought a SCART adapter for the mini, right? The adapter that comes with it is JP only.

Indeed. I've got this:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...ni-adapter--euroscart-with-sync-stripper.html

And like I said before my RGB modded N64 and my PAL Wii work flawlessly with the XRGB through SCART and the above adapter. So why do the PS1 and Mega Drive not work when they output full RGB to my CRT? gaaaaaahhh

I have got another MD cable coming tomorrow - this one, in fact:

http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...esis-1-stereo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead.html

I'm going by the fact it specifically mentions the XRGB in the description. If it doesn't work, I truly do not have a fucking clue what's wrong.

baphomet

Hey Sixfortyfive, do you know anything about extron rgb's? From what information I can find I should be able to input 480i and output 240p with it. I got it for $6 with power supply and free shipping so it was to good of a deal to pass up. Any idea if this is all I needed, or did I also need a super emotia along with it?

baphomet

Yea, info is pretty scarce on the stuff. The only solid info is fudohs, and it's still somewhat vague. Well, if it can I'll figure it out hopefully.

Ramune

Yea, info is pretty scarce on the stuff. The only solid info is fudohs, and it's still somewhat vague. Well, if it can I'll figure it out hopefully.

RetroRGB has a small section on the Emotia paired up with an Extron RGB interface. The Emotia handles the scaling and the RGB interface handles the finer details.

http://www.retrorgb.com/emotia.html

But if you already know this, disregard. But sounds like a good price for what it is.

baphomet

RetroRGB has a small section on the Emotia paired up with an Extron RGB interface. The Emotia handles the scaling and the RGB interface handles the finer details.

http://www.retrorgb.com/emotia.html

But if you already know this, disregard. But sounds like a good price for what it is.

That's the thing though, the rgb definitely downscales 480i to 240p without the emotia. I think I found what I needed though.

Scart to sync strike to extron to pvm via BNC/xrgb via VGA

Everything is ordered so I'll know for sure when it all arrives.

TnK

Really depends on the resolution on the games. The 480 stuff is fuzzy but the 240 stuff is crystal clear. I wanna get a scart cable for it as well.
It's not great, if we're talking 480i. Definitely worse than the output from the other Gen. 6 systems. In my experience, the system looks best hooked via component directly into my plasma. I tried using it with the XRGB-3 for a while, and found that the picture quality actually came out worse.

Hmm, seems like most of the fuzziness was a dumb option in my CRT TV, and I turned it off. There is something odd about the component, but now it looks a lot better.

Also, wait a minute, all this time I have been getting free RGB connectors with every PAL PS product I purchased? News to me. just now I busted one of my PS2s, and brought out my spare brand new PS2, and it had one of those where you input composite and the output is apparently RGB. I lost that connector for the nth time, lol.

Ramune

Hmm, seems like most of the fuzziness was a dumb option in my CRT TV, and I turned it off. There is something odd about the component, but now it looks a lot better.

Also, wait a minute, all this time I have been getting free RGB connectors with every PAL PS product I purchased? News to me. just now I busted one of my PS2s, and brought out my spare brand new PS2, and it had one of those where you input composite and the output is apparently RGB. I lost that connector for the nth time, lol.

So RGB connections were a standard pack-in too in PAL territories? Can barely get Component standard here in the US. Always composhite even today. At least there's HDMI as our modern RGB, but still...

Krelian

So RGB connections were a standard pack-in too in PAL territories? Can barely get Component standard here in the US. Always composhite even today. At least there's HDMI as our modern RGB, but still...
No, the output isn't RGB. It was rarer for our TVs to have separate composite inputs so most consoles shipped with a composite to scart adapter. The signal itself was still composite, though. I don't think there was a single console that shipped with an RGB cable by default.

Rich!

No, the output isn't RGB. It was rarer for our TVs to have separate composite inputs so most consoles shipped with a composite to scart adapter. The signal itself was still composite, though. I don't think there was a single console that shipped with an RGB cable by default.

Correct. But RGB SCART cables for each console were widely available and cheap.

I remember a SNES one was around a tenner.

IIRC, PAL Saturn came with Scart rgb packed-in. SEGA was so avant-garde, back then!

Ramune

Oh, so it was more of an adapter TnK was talking about? And Bill above me says PAL Saturns did come with one. @_@;

Anyway, I got those RGB cables from Play-Asia and can confirm they are indeed SCART cables. ...But that's about all I can say that's positive. The performance is absolutely terrible. There's noticeable audio noise once I hooked it up, and this is not even while my PS2 on. Then the colors are completely off.

DSC_0035.PNG

DSC_0037.PNG

What you might not be able to make out is the visual patches of static rolling up on the picture. I'm glad they were so cheap as I feel I'm doing a public service and must now warn people about these cables so they don't make the same mistake I did. Just going to get a cable from Retro Console Accessories and get a Guncon adapter like I should have done.

Krelian

Oh, so it was more of an adapter TnK was talking about? And Bill above me says PAL Saturns did come with one. @_@;
Yeah, it's just an adapter. SCART can carry many video signals, like composite, RGB and even S-Video. I'm actually pretty sure that the packed in video cable of PAL Saturns isn't RGB either, but a composite cable that came with the adapter permanently attached. I can't find a source for this at the moment, though.

Anyway, I got those RGB cables from Play-Asia and can confirm they are indeed SCART cables.
There seems to be some confusion here also. SCART is just the big connector type so you can confirm that it's SCART just by looking at it :) (or am I missing something here?)

Dwayne

Saw a 36" TV with SCART behind a appliance shop today while picking up some pallets. So tempting. But I have a 14" PVM, I don't need it, right? right??

Ramune

Yeah, it's just an adapter. SCART can carry many video signals, like composite, RGB and even S-Video. I'm actually pretty sure that the packed in video cable of PAL Saturns isn't RGB either, but a composite cable that came with the adapter permanently attached. I can't find a source for this at the moment, though.

There seems to be some confusion here also. SCART is just the big connector type so you can confirm that it's SCART just by looking at it :) (or am I missing something here?)

I know there are composite Scart cables in addition to RGB Scart. It's just the wording used made it seem like he got free RGB cables. I would have been jelly.

As for the cables, no I have a SCART -> BNC + Sync connecter, so if the picture isn't bugging out, it's SCART and I don't have to use my JP 21-pin to Euro SCART adapter. Also good to know for someone who wanted to use it for their Mini or something that uses JP 21-pin, although they shouldn't as these cables are the devil and should stay far away!

baphomet

Finally broke down and bought an xrgb mini. Good thing is it's from someone in the states and came with a scart to jpn21 cable.

antibolo

Banned
SCART is always European. "EuroSCART" is a completely redundant and pointless term. SCART and JP21 share the same physical connector, but JP21 is not a SCART standard.

Pretty sure that's just using SMART_X2 mode.

Incidentally, scanlines in SMART_X2 mode look just fine. The downside is the black borders around the entire screen.

Rich!

Anyone have a link to a cheap component to d terminal adapter? Preferably in the states or Europe.

seconding this. I can't find one anywhere.

oh maaaaaaaaaan Mega Drive looks fucking amazing on the XRGB:

Only issue I have are games which make use of overscan borders, like Burning Force. It's a load of fucking garbage around the actual game window - distracting as all hell.

seconding this. I can't find one anywhere.

oh maaaaaaaaaan Mega Drive looks fucking amazing on the XRGB:

Only issue I have are games which make use of overscan borders, like Burning Force. It's a load of fucking garbage around the actual game window - distracting as all hell.

Yeah you can block them out using the retro mode, but I don't like fade effect on each side. It's too obvious where it starts.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, Genesis benefits tremendously from RGB upscaled, it really shines! and yeah, you've got a few retro mode options to hide those but i find myself switching them out per game, there's one that works for me on SOR and most beat-em-ups but not so much for other titles...it's not a perfect solution.

Beckx

Woohoo! My NES came home, freshly modded with viletim's NESRGB board & expansion audio. Here's the good, the bad, and the frustrating.

The good! It looks great.

Here's the back of the NES, palette switch in the center, SNES multi-out installed on the right. (The modded Famicom converter is sitting there, too - see below for the problem I'm having with that.)

Here are a few games for a quick test - the image is so, so clean (image displayed via Panny projector onto Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen):

The bad: as you can see, the scanlines from my XRGB mini look very, very light. You may remember a few weeks ago I posted that my scanlines were looking weird, dark then light. The problem is that Scan_A was set to 80 while the two Scan_B options were at 115. Unfortunately, the Scan_B options are completely locked - I can't alter them. The only thing I can do is move Scan_A to 115 to make everything even, but very, very light. Does anyone know what setting I need to be able to change the Scan_B options??

The frustrating: I can't get the Famicom converter to work. The only Fami cart I have right now is Holy Diver (no exp audio on that so I won't be able to test exp audio for a while) and all I get is a grey screen. I've tried every configuration to put the adapter together and no luck. Ideas?

Are you in 720p output? I think SCAN_B only opens up for 1080p mode.

As for the gray screen... odd. Maybe the NES10 chip lockout wasn't disabled?

Beckx

Are you in 720p output? I think SCAN_B only opens up for 1080p mode.

As for the gray screen... odd. Maybe the NES10 chip lockout wasn't disabled?

Yeah, in 720p b/c of the scanline issues in 1080p. Hrm. Not sure what to do. When I darken scan_a, I get a few dark lines, then a few light, then dark, etc, in clumps.

He was supposed to remove the lockout and said he tested it before sending out. He did mention that he thought the 72 pin didn't look great, maybe that's it? I am going to take the Holy Diver board out of the cart and put it all together in the Hogan's Alley case where I pulled the converter. Maybe that will work.

IrishNinja

damn man, sorry to hear this - i too currently have that setting locked, and was trying to sort out which option unlocks it, as i swear it wasn't so before my last FW update (having a minor issue with vertical scrolling & heavy scanlines at the moment myself).

*edit ahhh that might be it, ive got it at 720p too

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Your mileage may vary, but the 4:3 mode on my Panasonic TV completely blocks out the junk on Genesis (and a white line on the side of NES). It looks as perfect as one would hope.

You'd think the 4:3 mode would squish the image and whatnot... but I guess it knows better with HDMI sources... it just perfectly masks the un-needed sides of the screen out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom