• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for this thread for a while!

Got the Snes out this weekend, the nephews are enthralled by Yoshi's Island but the game hasn't looked as good as it could on my lcd tv.

Having messed with the TV settings, got it to the best that I could but, yeah it's not good enough.

Looks like I'm going to have to start saving!

Rich!

I've been looking for this thread for a while!

Got the Snes out this weekend, the nephews are enthralled by Yoshi's Island but the game hasn't looked as good as it could on my lcd tv.

Having messed with the TV settings, got it to the best that I could but, yeah it's not good enough.

Looks like I'm going to have to start saving!

oh yes, you are gonna have to start saving. Here's a shot of Yoshi's Island via RGB on my CRT:

ieXtee9mwSBJX.jpg

also, my XRGB didn't turn up yesterday. fucking royal mail. had better turn up tomorrow! I've got a space set up for it with the power adapter, HDMI cable and SCART adapter all ready to go!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Your nephews have great taste, Heavy's Sandvich!

So I recently rediscovered my GameCube Component cables but I fear trying them, as they broke once before and a friend's "fix" for it ended up blowing the audio on my two previous GameCubes. Anyone have any recommendations for places that could fix it for me? Preferably cheaper than buying a brand new one...

Krelian

oh yes, you are gonna have to start saving. Here's a shot of Yoshi's Island via RGB on my CRT:
This doesn't look bad at all. Wouldn't the XRGB be redundant if you already have good picture quality with your SNES? Or is it for other systems mainly?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's your CRT. You probably want it for an LCD TV. My bad ;)

Rich!

This doesn't look bad at all. Wouldn't the XRGB be redundant if you already have good picture quality with your SNES? Or is it for other systems mainly?

EDIT: Oh wait, it's your CRT. You probably want it for an LCD TV. My bad ;)

Haha yeah. I can't fit my amazing 29" Sony CRT in my new crib. My 42" LCD is on the wall.

TnK

That is downright beautiful. Hopefully, the S-Video cable I bought gives me a similar picture when it arrives. Really glad I did not give away the CRT TV.

Rich!

That is downright beautiful. Hopefully, the S-Video cable I bought gives me a similar picture when it arrives. Really glad I did not give away the CRT TV.

S Video won't give you that image. You need RGB and a CRT that accepts euro RGB to get that, specifically.

S Video will still be very nice though, especially on a CRT.

Rich!

Possibly unrelated to this thread, but GBA games look fucking fantastic with a decent CRT filter. Really cleans up the rough edges if you're using an emulator:

edit: oops, didn't mean to DP

antibolo

Banned
S Video won't give you that image. You need RGB and a CRT that accepts euro RGB to get that, specifically.

S-video gets a bad rep it doesn't deserve, it's a HUGE step up from composite, and is definitely very close to RGB on a console with a good NTSC/PAL encoder. On my PVM, the difference between s-video and RGB on my SNES is extremely small. In fact once I run out of inputs on my SCART switch (which will happen soon, if I do get a Saturn and a consolized MVS), I'll just switch my SNES to s-video.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Other than lack of progressive scan, I'd argue that s-video really doesn't have any glaring shortcomings depending on what console and display you're using.

For example, I think the N64 might be the console that benefits the least from the jump from s-video to RGB. All of the low-res textures and heavy anti-aliasing aren't going to suddenly look razor sharp, no matter how much effort you put into cleaning up the image.

IrishNinja

^yeah, but i thought the love for RGB had to do with colors moreso, as well as color separation. again i dig s-vid, as was said it rids you of the shit effects composite gives you (and stuff like SNES looks great by me) but Genesis, N64 and id argue Turbo look substantially better, and i can't go back personally.

Rich!

I do have to disagree about S Video on the N64. I posted a comparison a few pages ago between s video and RGB, and it's night and day.

TnK

I know, hence why I said a similar image, and not identical :)

One thing that I will miss out on is the color quality. I think colors look more vibarant on RGB vs S-Video. Sadly, my CRT TV does not accept an RGB input, which is why I was asking earlier if there is an SCART to component converter.
I'm trawling ebay for a crt now.

Playing Yoshi's Island with my nephews needs better looking visuals.
I recommend searching for a Sony CRT TV that accepts RGB and component if possible. Don't know if such a TV exists though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do have to disagree about S Video on the N64. I posted a comparison a few pages ago between s video and RGB, and it's night and day.
Regardless of which cable you use the image quality produced by N64 is generally rather poor. Most games used a heavy filter to help eliminate aliasing but ultimately produced a muddy image instead. RGB output does improve things, no doubt, but I don't think it's worth the hassle to add it to the system when image quality is generally poor.

Other than lack of progressive scan, I'd argue that s-video really doesn't have any glaring shortcomings depending on what console and display you're using.

For example, I think the N64 might be the console that benefits the least from the jump from s-video to RGB. All of the low-res textures and heavy anti-aliasing aren't going to suddenly look razor sharp, no matter how much effort you put into cleaning up the image.

I see the bolded statement, and I raise you 3DO. Shit doesn't even do 240p, you'll suffer though blurry internally scaled 480i on everything.

Maxrunner

I just bought a pal N64 and it looks horrid on my samsung lcd of course, it seems the pal n64 cannot be modded to signal out in rgb mode correct? i do have seen a store selling s-video cables for it...here:

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/
The product N64 S-Video cable - PAL version....seems that will help solve my problems. no?

TnK

I have a philips CRT, and the only way to display scanlines is to set the refresh rate at 100 hz. Problem is, the whole screen seems like it is vibrating, anyone knows why this happens?

Rich!

I have a philips CRT, and the only way to display scanlines is to set the refresh rate at 100 hz. Problem is, the whole screen seems like it is vibrating, anyone knows why this happens?

Because it's creating frames that don't exist? Unless I'm wrong.

Either way it's adding digital bullshit to it, and likely loads of lag.

TnK

Because it's creating frames that don't exist? Unless I'm wrong.

Either way it's adding digital bullshit to it, and likely loads of lag.

The way to turn this on is called digital options, there is no input lag though.

When I set it on auto or progressive scan they both look the same, but there are no scanlines. Friends told me that if scanlines don't exist, that means the TV is streching the image and it is not running at native res.

Anyone encountered something similar with their TVs?

EDIT2: Also, who has the Sony Trintron Wega line of TVs? That, and the philips I have were both released in the same time frame, and I think both it and the trinitron are HD ready. Was wondering, does the Sony one also eliminate scanlines?

Rich!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tracking appeared for my XRGB on the royal mail site today. Delivered to my local sorting office this morning.....and kept there.

I phoned them up just now. Turns out customs opened it up, found out the true value, and hit me with 20% VAT. So that's like, £40. I need to wait for a card to be delivered tomorrow and then I have to go pick it up.

Fucking hell. Not happy.

IrishNinja

^fucking hell, that's pretty invasive there...whenever i sold international, id try to hook up my buyers by lowballing the shit out of the customs forms on my end, i can't imagine saving up for such a thing & then being hit with $65 of taxes when it's that close.

Krelian

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Tracking appeared for my XRGB on the royal mail site today. Delivered to my local sorting office this morning.....and kept there.

I phoned them up just now. Turns out customs opened it up, found out the true value, and hit me with 20% VAT. So that's like, £40. I need to wait for a card to be delivered tomorrow and then I have to go pick it up.

Fucking hell. Not happy.
Oh man, sorry to hear that. I've had nothing but bad luck with my customs office whenever I imported anything from Japan or the USA. Usually they sent a letter asking for me to open the package in front of a customs official, followed by me having to pay VAT ("only" 19% here). Because of this I don't like importing anything outside the EU anymore :/

Krelian

wait, they send a letter asking you to open it in front of them? that's...seems kinda harsh
Yeah. I think in some rare cases they open it up by themselves but I believe they're supposed to wait for the recipient's approval or supervision. They also charge storage fees when you wait too long to get your package. I hate customs.

baphomet

I see the bolded statement, and I raise you 3DO. Shit doesn't even do 240p, you'll suffer though blurry internally scaled 480i on everything.

I actually almost picked up a 3DO today. I can get it with 2 controllers for probably around $65, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Madao

those horror stories about customs in europe are one of the things that make me feel good for living in america.

Sixfortyfive

I think I've grinned at every instance of the phrase "Royal Mail." How positively British.

those horror stories about customs in europe are one of the things that make me feel good for living in america.
Yeah I don't think USPS has ever intercepted anything I've bought for customs. And even then, some of the places I order from ship from residential addresses and/or include fake "adjusted" invoices in order to lessen the hit should it ever come to that, lol.

Jamix012

Why does the XRGB Mini have to be imported, why does no one here make something similar?

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/ has all your answers. There's a multitude of upscalers/de-interlacers, but none of them are really as good as the XRGB and none of them are as cheap either. That having been said, I went for a DVDO VP50, which is pretty much just as good at 480i and can actually handle PAL signals properly unlike the Mini (not to mention it has more inputs and is in english for convenience.) I was lucky enough to find a working VP50 for $200, so I jumped on it.

Beckx

I think I've grinned at every instance of the phrase "Royal Mail." How positively British.

Yeah I don't think USPS has ever intercepted anything I've bought for customs. And even then, some of the places I order from ship from residential addresses and/or include fake "adjusted" invoices in order to lessen the hit should it ever come to that, lol.

I had a play-Asia game get held up in customs once but it didn't result in any charges.

I think years ago there was a Japanese game series that used symbols that looked like swastikas and there were stories about the games being held or seized. Probably urban legend.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Mak

S-Video, which separates contrast and color, is basically Component video but without the extra color separation and can't carry more than 480i/240p. I took these screens with my old capture card with Dscaler a long time ago so it won't be as sharp as on a TV.

GameCube Composite vs. S-Video

Sixfortyfive

I have composite, s-video, and RGB cables laying around for Saturn, plus a capture card that accepts all 3 inputs. I should so some cross-comparisons sometime.

I think I also have composite, component, and RGB cables for PS2.

TnK

Richi, I noticed that you have a sony wega TV. Does the TV naturally show scanlines? Also, what are the picture options that you have on the TV?

First set of S-video cables arrived in the mail for my nintendo systems. Till now no checkered pattern, except for Link's red shield when facing the opposite side, and a shadow of the water bubble that follows you in the water temple. This is in lttp. SMW showed no checkered pattern. What should I look for exactly?

Only real artifact I recall seeing with S-Video on a SNES was some haloing around sharp contrasts, like black next to white, or pretty much everything in Earthbound (because everything's got a black outline). Not really present on a CRT, but quite obvious on an LCD, even with an XRGB-mini. (I think my RGB cable cleared that up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom