• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Repost from the setup thread....

rWhLGLp.jpg

3p8N5dz.jpg

pictured: 55" HDTV, my gaming PC (i7 4.0ghz, gtx 970), Japanese RGB modded N64, modded and region free japanese saturn, 50/60hz and csync modded region free asian Mega Drive, Framemeister, Wii U, chipped PSone, RGB modded SNES/SFC Jr console with optical digital audio output mod and my 5.1 sony surround sound - 4x mission speakers, one cheap tannoy centre speaker and a panasonic sub (not pictured)

all the mods (aside from the N64 which I bought premodded) were done by myself, so I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out - and not for an extravagant price either.

Oh and a bonus photo

ZCxmOXgh.jpg

That looks like a fun place to hang out.

Rich!

That looks like a fun place to hang out.

it's not bad! We've had a spate of good weather recently, so last night I had some mates round for a bbq and we dragged out our old 42" samsung into the garden/back yard and I used a long ass hdmi cable out of my window, down the garden and into it. I haven't got any photos sadly though... :(

we mostly played mario kart 64 on block fort battle mode. I was the one who kept going in and getting drinks and changing the game/console! Luckily I have a batch of N64 and SNES extension cables and they worked daisy chained haha

I played on my Wavebird though with the N64 of course

BTails

So, I'm usually one for real hardware... But I've been messing around with Enhanced mGBA for the Wii, and its a pretty solid emulator! By messing around in the meta.xml file, I was able to activate 240p mode. Through component into my Framemeister at 720p (with scanlines, of course) it looks pretty damn sharp.

7i86WMp.jpg

I'm also using a Mayflash adapter to control it with an SNES controller, which feels very comfortable. Unfortunately the emulator doesn't support the Gamecube to GBA cable, or else I'd be using that.

Once I get my AV Famicom back from Baphomet, I'm going to go through the whole Castlevania series, I think, as I've only played about half of them. This should do me nicely for the GBA games, at least until I pick up a GBA Player and an SD Launcher for my Gamecube to run in 240p there.

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions and it seems like this place kinda knows whats going on.

There's a good few PS1 games I want to go back to and some that I missed entirely. I've been using my PS3 simply due to PSN making it a whole lot easier to get these games in the first place. I live in Ireland, which obviously is a PAL territory so I've been using an American account to get NTSC region games. I also have a pretty decent CRT around. It's a Matsui model that I can't find anything about online, but it supports 60Hz. However, the only cable that I have for this TV is the standard sony composite cables that plug into a little SCART adapter.

Now my question is would this cable work with PS3 and make a big difference on the CRT? I know RGB is the best quality that you can get, but I was under the assumption that not all TVs supported it.

Peagles

Anyone ever have a CRT lose sync on a super bright white screen but be otherwise fine?

I turned the brightness down which seemed to help a little, but doesn't fully remedy it.

Best example is probably PSX boot up sequence, it doesn't like the white screen with the PS logo but it's fine with the black screen and SE logo.

Danny Dudekisser

Anyone ever have a CRT lose sync on a super bright white screen but be otherwise fine?

I turned the brightness down which seemed to help a little, but doesn't fully remedy it.

Best example is probably PSX boot up sequence, it doesn't like the white screen with the PS logo but it's fine with the black screen and SE logo.

What kind of cable are you using? Same thing's happened to me with shitty JP21 cables.

You can add resistors to remedy this but I cannot for the life of me remember which lines you put them on. Should be well documented on shmups and similar forums.

Vespa

Hey guys, I have a couple of questions and it seems like this place kinda knows whats going on.

There's a good few PS1 games I want to go back to and some that I missed entirely. I've been using my PS3 simply due to PSN making it a whole lot easier to get these games in the first place. I live in Ireland, which obviously is a PAL territory so I've been using an American account to get NTSC region games. I also have a pretty decent CRT around. It's a Matsui model that I can't find anything about online, but it supports 60Hz. However, the only cable that I have for this TV is the standard sony composite cables that plug into a little SCART adapter.

Now my question is would this cable work with PS3 and make a big difference on the CRT? I know RGB is the best quality that you can get, but I was under the assumption that not all TVs supported it.

I think you would only get 480i out of the Ps3, it doesn't support 240p, which would be ideal for ps1 games (some are 480i). I guess a Ps2 isn't an option since your collection is on the Ps3? Also I think there might be input lag for Ps1 games on Ps3, I'll let someone else correct me on that.

If your TV supports RGB Scart then yes it would be better than the composite cable. Do you have a DVD player you can test on it? Maybe googling the model number to see if the Scart socket is wired for RGB.

Vespa

Some pvm/bvms have a 75ohm switch which I think is to help with issues like peak brightness causing desynchs, not sure if you're rocking one with that feature?

10925-15a.jpg

I do have a DVD player around to test that. Never thought about using that. I did try looking up the model number for the TV, but I can't find anything about the TV at all, other than how to tune in the remote for it.

I remember reading that the PS3 upscaler does add some input lag, but I'm only really going to play RPGs so that isn't something I mind all that much.

Vespa

I do have a DVD player around to test that. Never thought about using that. I did try looking up the model number for the TV, but I can't find anything about the TV at all, other than how to tune in the remote for it.

I remember reading that the PS3 upscaler does add some input lag, but I'm only really going to play RPGs so that isn't something I mind all that much.

Does the remote have an AUX or DVD button? If it's fairly modern then it should be RGB... Post a pic of the TV!

Lag should be fine for RPGs then. A 480i picture will have some flicker though and you wouldn't get lovely scanlines.

Repost from the setup thread....

rWhLGLp.jpg

3p8N5dz.jpg

pictured: 55" HDTV, my gaming PC (i7 4.0ghz, gtx 970), Japanese RGB modded N64, modded and region free japanese saturn, 50/60hz and csync modded region free asian Mega Drive, Framemeister, Wii U, chipped PSone, RGB modded SNES/SFC Jr console with optical digital audio output mod and my 5.1 sony surround sound - 4x mission speakers, one cheap tannoy centre speaker and a panasonic sub (not pictured)

all the mods (aside from the N64 which I bought premodded) were done by myself, so I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out - and not for an extravagant price either.

Oh and a bonus photo

ZCxmOXgh.jpg

Great set up! I love the logos on the switch box!

The remote doesn't have a AUX or DVD button, but I'm not certain if this is the same remote that actually came with the TV originally. I'm still looking for the SCART cable I have for the DVD player.

Here's the TV. Apologies for the terrible photo.

Funny you should mention scanlines. I loaded up FFVI on my PS1 and on my PS3. Turned both systems on and switched back and over between the two systems. I couldn't tell any differences between the two.

PS3 adds lag to PS2 games over HDMI and component. Never heard anything about PS1 lag.

PS3 outputs PS1 games as 240p component, same as the PS2 and PSP do.

Well, found the SCART cable and the DVD player works perfectly on it, so I'm presuming this TV is RGB compatible. I guess I'll go order that new cable now.

Peagles

What kind of cable are you using? Same thing's happened to me with shitty JP21 cables.

RGB SCART, same setup I've had for years but with the new JVC monitor. Maybe it's just a bit sensitive. I haven't had this issue with the Sony monitors or the Framemeister.

You can add resistors to remedy this but I cannot for the life of me remember which lines you put them on. Should be well documented on shmups and similar forums.

Thanks, I'll take a look. Not sure I want to add resistors when it seems to be only happening on this monitor (and only sporadically, I've only see it happen on N64 and PSX so far), but I'll definitely keep it in mind if it becomes a problem (or maybe I can build something into the setup just for the JVC).

Some pvm/bvms have a 75ohm switch which I think is to help with issues like peak brightness causing desynchs, not sure if you're rocking one with that feature?

10925-15a.jpg

Doesn't look like it has one, although my Sony's do. JVC are a bit more budget I guess lol.

On another note, my poor rejected Sony PVM-2030 is sitting on the floor looking sad. Don't think I can bring myself to get rid of it but it's just so huge and takes up so much space. Poor thing.

ShowDog

I think I posted here earlier about a Trinitron KV-27FV300 I picked up that seemed a little past its prime, possibly beyond repair. Well I messed around the service menu and even took the back off to adjust the yoke convergence, the dynamic contrast and the focus and I must say its cleaned up fairly well. It still isn't as sharp up close as an FD Trinitron that was well kept but it looks great from 3 feet back.

So anyways, I got another KV-27FV300 to stick alongside it for whatever reason (could be useful for a party or something?) and this one is in perfect condition and looks fantastic. Didn't have to do much at all in the service menu to get it dialed in real nice.

I'll post some pics of my "setup" once it's done but I've still got a lot of work cut out for myself to get everything set up, stored and tucked away appropriately.

The two FV300's have relegated a perfectly fine 27" JVC D-Series and KV-24FS120 to deep garage storage, although I don't know how long I'll realistically keep them. I hope to RGB mod the JVC and if that goes well maybe I'll stick that where the lesser FV300 sits now.

theclaw135

Banned

AFAIK all PS1s, PS2s, and PS3s, in all regions support the same RGB cables. The same pinout from 1994 is still used by a PS3 manufactured this minute.
(although the PSX DVR removed RGB output)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
No. Toro is great but the original VGA box gives just as good a signal.

A bit late here, but thanks! So why would I need to Toro-box then? I am also using a Codebreaker who automatically force all the games that can be forced into vga-mode, so i think that solution is pretty decent all in all.

I think it looks better than any other VGA option available for the Dreamcast. I've used a multitude of cables and the Toro beats them out. Also, the ability to output RGB via SCART is worth the price alone, especially for the few titles that support 240p.

The 240p over scart is nice for sure, but how many titles support this? Would kinda like to get a Toro just for the comparison. Hmm, maybe i have to.

theclaw135

Banned
A bit late here, but thanks! So why would I need to Toro-box then? I am also using a Codebreaker who automatically force all the games that can be forced into vga-mode, so i think that solution is pretty decent all in all.

The 240p over scart is nice for sure, but how many titles support this? Would kinda like to get a Toro just for the comparison. Hmm, maybe i have to.

About a dozen titles, from the looks of it.
Dreamcast brought swift utter annihilation to 240p in the mainstream.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22842

Peagles

I feel like this has been answered a lot here lately but here's the feature list from the Beharbros website. Aside from the 240p stuff above, in short you'd want one if you have a Framemeister or another device that accepts 480p over SCART, want "maximum compatibility" on the fly, a scanline generator, or the option for separate audio.

Toro is a Dreamcast video box with multiple video outputs. It has both VGA and Euro Scart connectors to output RGBS(composite sync) and RGBHV for maximum compatibility with displays and upscalers. So you can play both RGB Scart and VGA compatible games. Like the Hanzo it's a built-in Scanline Generator to add scanlines. Basically it's a combination of Hanzo and Kenzei with less features like RCA RGBS outputs and scart/rca video pass-through function.

AUTO SYNC COMBINER FOR THE UPSCALERS AND MONITORS
Now you can use your Dreamcast with the XRGB Mini or other upscalers/pro monitors without any additional sync combiner devices like Kenzei...

MULTI VIDEO SYNC SYSTEM
Both CSYNC and H&V SYNC modes supported
Euro Scart connector can output RGBS (CSYNC) (480i+480p for the XRGB)
VGA connector can output RGBS or RGBHV. It's selectable by a push button.

SCANLINER FUNCTION
It’s possible to turn off scanlines easily with a switch, you can also select Even or Odd scanlines. You can also change the width of the scanlines, thin or thick for a resolution like 1024x768..
You can use Toro as a standalone sync combiner + Scanliner for other consoles/PC with VGA output if you use the extra Scanliner cable.
You just need to swap the DC cable with the Scanliner cable which has a VGA (HD15) male plug for input.

15KHZ / 31KHZ MODE SELECTION SWITCH
Both RGB and VGA modes supported for full compatibility! XRGB can be fed with 15/31khz through Scart...

Pure Audio output in Stereo...
Toro has RCA Stereo audio jacks to let you plug your console to an amplifier or a stereo system or simply your TV. So you can hear the sounds which you have never before and feel as you are in the game.

EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY

All our products are handmade using high quality imported components. Every component is tested multiple times and chosen carefully for its longevity. We use high quality shielded video cable for better video and audio quality.

BlStinger

Neo Member
Just received my Saturn SCART cable. Crummy cell phone pics notwithstanding, the Saturn's RGB output looks amazing via the OSSC. I can't believe SF Alpha 2 is a Saturn game!

They do 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i lagless, 240p upscaled to 480p with one frame of lag.

I got slightly excited as I have an old set packed away. The CRT HDTV I have in the garage (2004 model Toshiba) does up scaling of all those formats to 1080i and apparently will do 540p with a 480p input. I wish it did 720p native :(

Khaz

I got slightly excited as I have an old set packed away. The CRT HDTV I have in the garage (2004 model Toshiba) does up scaling of all those formats to 1080i and apparently will do 540p with a 480p input. I wish it did 720p native :(

Damn, that's not cool. I didn't know some sets had a fixed HSYNC like an LCD. Terrible use of the technology.

arit

5NkiG9x.jpg

Taking pictures is hard. And I have to find the time to eliminate the jailbars (besides finding my PSX RGB cable...).

Galdelico

The picture above reminds me a question for OSSC-GAF. Did anyone try to mess around a bit with the crop/borders settings, in order to cover up/get rid of the colored overscan with some MD games (just like Sonic)?

arit

The picture above reminds me a question for OSSC-GAF. Did anyone try to mess around a bit with the crop/borders settings, in order to cover up/get rid of the colored overscan with some MD games (just like Sonic)?

Top is without extended borders, bottom until one side is hit (in this case bottom and right side).

gRRUd6T.jpg

PmnSUV4.jpg

Currently one can only mask from top/bottom and left/right, since the picture is not centered it might be less useful and I hope we can get the option to set all 4 border masks separately. For now I use it to mask the pixelstripe on the bottom. It may differ for other consoles though.

Mega

Banned
It all goes back to cheap and perceived convenience being supreme over all other factors. These are the same people asking why their new modern console isn't made with better parts after it overheated and crapped out. Or asking why HDTV options for gamers are barely improving and sometimes going backward. Well, it's because this is a hobby made up of pretty casual gamers and peasants (in the sense of an unwillingness to pay for high quality). If we were all as discerning as audiophiles, we wouldn't be in the situation of hunting down old CRTs, modded hardware and pricey scalers to get adequate performance and picture quality out of our games. Most of the time we are only catered to by hobbyists because the average gamer, both out in the wild and here on GAF, is fine (happy really) with only paying for bottom of the barrel quality at every step of his setup.

In relation to my earlier post, exhibit A:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1262934&page=1

Quite a few pathetic responses to the reasonable OP. Blind fanboyism making people argue against options and higher quality hardware.

Rich!

I stand by my opinion that this is the worst generation I've experienced since I started gaming in 1994.

The xbone and ps4 offer nothing new. The hardware, games, selling points are all so dull and utterly bland. At least with the last gen you had the jump to HD and the crazy shit Nintendo pulled off with the Wii. This generation is just...shit. What is there on the xbone and PS4 that my PC cannot offer, at a cheaper price? Where's the new and innovative experiences? Is there anything the two consoles offer that couldn't have been done before to an extent?

And besides that, AAA gaming of today is something I cannot stand. Fuck all these "cinematic" experiences that try to emulate big budget movies, but with shit tier writing and direction. And shit gameplay.

oldmanshoutsatcloud.jpg

Mega

Banned
I stand by my opinion that this is the worst generation I've experienced since I started gaming in 1994.

The xbone and ps4 offer nothing new. The hardware, games, selling points are all so dull and utterly bland. At least with the last gen you had the jump to HD and the crazy shit Nintendo pulled off with the Wii. This generation is just...shit. What is there on the xbone and PS4 that my PC cannot offer, at a cheaper price? Where's the new and innovative experiences? Is there anything the two consoles offer that couldn't have been done before to an extent?

And besides that, AAA gaming of today is something I cannot stand. Fuck all these "cinematic" experiences that try to emulate big budget movies, but with shit tier writing and direction. And shit gameplay.

oldmanshoutsatcloud.jpg

Nothing new. You look at how different physical media, audio chips and graphical capabilities were between Genesis, SNES, PC Engine and Neo Geo were... that's exciting. That ended with the PS3 and 360. People fight over 900p vs 1080p and 27fps vs 30fps. So boring. The consoles now, more than ever, are budget PC derivatives. They're literally lower-spec, walled computers. Their most exciting aspect is indie developer support, and that pales next to what you can get on a PC with Steam and GOG.

AAA gaming has bothered me for a long time for the exact reasons you cited. The plot, scripts and acting in "cinematic" video games are the equivalent of February movies with 15% Rotten Tomatoes scores.

Grief.exe

It's my opinion that if you own a good PC, there is almost no reason to own a console at this point. Third party developers generate just as much revenue, or more, from a PC release so they are motivated to release their games on PC as well.

I largely agree with both of you on AAA development, enthusiasts have been nearly completely disenfranchised from modern development as developers are targeting a more mainstream demographic. As a result, the games have become increasingly shallow and simple to appeal to as wide a market as possible.

Galdelico

Top is without extended borders, bottom until one side is hit (in this case bottom and right side).

gRRUd6T.jpg

PmnSUV4.jpg

Currently one can only mask from top/bottom and left/right, since the picture is not centered it might be less useful and I hope we can get the option to set all 4 border masks separately. For now I use it to mask the pixelstripe on the bottom. It may differ for other consoles though.

Awesome, thank you so much.
And yeah, hopefully there will be an update with the option of letting you control each border separately. Definitely needed, especially with the MD.

Danny Dudekisser

I thought last gen was awful for the reasons stated above, but in some ways... this one might be worse. I feel like the few hits we've gotten have been better than basically anything we got last gen, and I do like that RPGs are kinda sorta becoming a thing again... on consoles, even... but it's been pretty dull. AAA games have become beyond boring, indie games almost never have the execution to back up their ideas, and there's nothing in-between. It's unfortunate. It's the first gen where I've bought a system for which I've literally not been able to find a single game I want to play (Xbone.)

I do appreciate the WiiU, though. That's the last bastion for games that just want to be games.

Peltz

Man, so much negativity in this thread for modern games, so I'll offer a counterpoint.

Even though we've had HD consoles before, we are now getting HD consoles with consistently better performance. Last gen to this gen is similar to the leap we saw from the 8 bit to 16 bit consoles.

16 bit consoles brought with them more polished experiences as well as early 3D polygonal home console gaming for the first time. They also brought expanded experiences through add-on hardware that were not possible with the base systems. Similarly, this gen we are seeing Virtual Reality expanding beyond what the base consoles can offer. It's a similar leap in gaming that will exist along side of 2D and traditional 3D games, getting cheaper and more refined as time goes on.

Furthermore, current gen consoles are home to many fun/innovative NON-cinematic games like Super Mario Maker, Rocket League, Android Assault Cactus, Overwatch, Splatoon, Bloodborne, MK8, The Witness, Towerfall, etc. Some (not all) of those games would not be possible on previous gen hardware... but the same could said of many 16 bit offerings as well. That doesn't make them any less fun or enjoyable.

Yes, if you have a PC, you can get most non-Nintendo games on that hardware with better performance. But consoles still offer a really good bang for your buck for easy plug and play enjoyment. If anything, gamers should be happier that more games are platform agnostic and are showing up on most platforms. I personally don't see how this generation is "lesser" than previous gens.

And in my humble opinion, last generation was the greatest generation in gaming. It ushered in smaller downloadable titles as well as big cinematic experiences at the same time. The impact of XBLA has allowed many games to be made that otherwise had no audience in the preceding generation (e.g. the PS2, GCN, XBOX, DC generation).

Now, we have more variety in video games than ever before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom