• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTails

Nintendont can force the majority of Gamecube games into 480p.

Yup. I just played through Resident Evil 3 Gamecube release in 480p thanks to Nintendon't, and it worked flawlessly. You get the sharp 480p graphics of the Dreamcast, with the slightly faster camera transitions of the Gamecube release. Best of both worlds.

Einhandr

This is sort of off topic but can anyone recommend a decent power strip that has a layout that accommodates the bulky power supplies of retro consoles? I'd like to have my PCE, SNES and Genesis all plugged in that the same time and just cut the power to the strip when not in use.

Ramune

New pc crt pick up, an IBM P275 21", It's a really nice picture although I think the sweet spot for practicality is 19"!

Only way I can get the Wii to look decent is on a pc crt:

28856374091_6c23710692_o.jpg

Horrible moire in this pic

28314225334_dfbd85fec9_o.jpg

A little blown out but you can see how nice the image looks on the left

28314226904_d02858a670_o.jpg

Bonus faint 480p scanlines

What did you use to achieve this? I mostly use my huge 21" monitor for Dreamcast/Xbox 360 shmups/occasional retro themed, 4:3 aspect games. Wouldn't mind using it for my progressive scan consoles too!

Yep, pretty much all the Gamecube games I tried did 480p. That's why I love using it for Gamecube games over playing on the Gamecube itself!

isn't the gamecube library already overwhelmingly 480p? what non-480p titles are there worth playing? Not including GBPlayer stuff.

Madao

i own around 22 GC games and only Wario Ware doesn't do 480p.

also, Nintendont can force 480p even in PAL games that had their 480p modes removed originally.

it shows Nintendo were just being dicks by removing that option for PAL users.

The rest don't seem to support it, thus not listed.
But then why list other games that don't support it? seems more likely that there isn't data, which tends to be indicative of poor or super niche titles. factoring in the gamecubes small and centralized library, that seems to confirm that lack of 480p on the ngc is all but a none issue.

Timu

But then why list other games that don't support it? seems more likely that there isn't data, which tends to be indicative of poor or super niche titles. factoring in the gamecubes small and centralized library, that seems to confirm that lack of 480p on the ngc is all but a none issue.
I have no clue.

Vespa

What did you use to achieve this? I mostly use my huge 21" monitor for Dreamcast/Xbox 360 shmups/occasional retro themed, 4:3 aspect games. Wouldn't mind using it for my progressive scan consoles too!

These pictures are from a Mayflash Component (YpbPr) to VGA (RGBHV) transcoder but I've also just received the GARO transcoder from the people that made the Hanzo/Toro dc vga boxes.

I recommend the GARO for the best no hassle option, to me it looks like the same picture quality as the Mayflash which uses a really great chip for the transcoding. Also has a scanliner and a SCART output built into it.

I was going to put up a more in depth impression once I played around with the GARO but I'll list up some pros/cons here:

1a1987_593327adf865447aaab5155d054374e5~mv1.jpg

GARO
+ No desynchs for Wii (So far..) - Where as the Mayflash would lose synch on bright white flashes e.g the lighting in Mario Kart Double Dash the Garo holds perfectly (I need to test on Ps2 but it should hold synch too. VGA monitors need the signal from these machines to be attuned somewhat. Never experienced a desynch on the original XBox with Mayflash)
+ Scanliner built in
+ Build quality
+ Passes audio through to SCART
+ Picture quality (Testing various transcoders, the saturation would be off or there would be excessive colour bleed, no issues here)

- Price? at $85 it's a fair bit more than the Mayflash which I suspect is mostly down to the scanliner built in, I already have the Hanzo so it would have been nice to have a cheaper option sans scanliner
- Requires a 9v-12v 1A psu, not provided
- Magenta horizontal bars on bright white scenes *Caused by my extron

31Pw5ng3qvL.jpg

MAYFLASH
+ Picture quality
+ Runs off USB
+ Price - Can be had for £11/$14

+/- No scanliner
+/- No SCART

- Loses synch on bright white flashes, No More Heroes when powering up and doing supers in Capcom Fighting Jam (Appears to handle the Xbox fine though, assuming that signal doesn't exceed the peak level vga needs to hold synch?)
- Very 'plasticy' build quality
- Magenta horizontal bars on bright white scenes *caused by my extron

If you're handy with a soldering iron you could easily build a VGA attenuator (75ohm resistors on the RGB pins?) and use that in conjunction with the Mayflash to fix the desynch issues and save some cost:

These things have saved the Wii for me and with Nintendont I get to experience my GC library in 480p without spending an arm and a leg on GC component cables.

WildZero

Just received a framemeister from Solaris! How can I double-check that they have sent me the correct EUR SCART adapter? I don't want to fry the framemeister by plugging in a SCART cable to a JP21 adapter...

Grief.exe

Just received a framemeister from Solaris! How can I double-check that they have sent me the correct EUR SCART adapter? I don't want to fry the framemeister by plugging in a SCART cable to a JP21 adapter...

To my knowledge, every box includes the JP21 adapter and not scart.

Peltz

Someone out there makes a VGA cable for Wii.

These pictures are from a Mayflash Component (YpbPr) to VGA (RGBHV) transcoder but I've also just received the GARO transcoder from the people that made the Hanzo/Toro dc vga boxes.

I recommend the GARO for the best no hassle option, to me it looks like the same picture quality as the Mayflash which uses a really great chip for the transcoding. Also has a scanliner and a SCART output built into it.

These things have saved the Wii for me and with Nintendont I get to experience my GC library in 480p without spending an arm and a leg on GC component cables.

This is the only exactly what I was looking/asking for, a few pages back!

WildZero

That's convenient.

The bag that contains the adapter isn't labelled? I didn't even touch my JP21 cable, just left it at the bottom of the box.

No label on the bag, it's probably the correct one, but I'd rather not risk it. There was only one adapter cable in the box.

Rich!

Repost from the setup thread....

rWhLGLp.jpg

3p8N5dz.jpg

pictured: 55" HDTV, my gaming PC (i7 4.0ghz, gtx 970), Japanese RGB modded N64, modded and region free japanese saturn, 50/60hz and csync modded region free asian Mega Drive, Framemeister, Wii U, chipped PSone, RGB modded SNES/SFC Jr console with optical digital audio output mod and my 5.1 sony surround sound - 4x mission speakers, one cheap tannoy centre speaker and a panasonic sub (not pictured)

all the mods (aside from the N64 which I bought premodded) were done by myself, so I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out - and not for an extravagant price either.

Oh and a bonus photo

ZCxmOXgh.jpg

Vespa

This is the only exactly what I was looking/asking for, a few pages back!

Another option might be the OSSC, I don't have one but the reviews say the component transcoding is superb with zero desynchs. I believe that costs £150, but it does a bunch of other cool things so might be worth considering (Would require a DVI>VGA dongle).

@Rich! Great setup, love the logos on the switch boxes.

Rich!

Another option might be the OSSC, I don't have one but the reviews say the component transcoding is superb with zero desynchs. I believe that costs £150, but it does a bunch of other cool things so might be worth considering (Would require a DVI>VGA dongle).

@Rich! Great setup, love the logos on the switch boxes.

Ha thanks! I actually replaced them since that photo with ones actually cut out straight and not wonky as hell. Thought it'd be a good idea to have some sort of label on the switches and I had some spare glossy label paper! It's the same paper I use for my everdrive and repro labels that I design and print.

Bear in mind with the OSSC the waiting list is HUUUUUUUUUGE. Theyre made to order and shipping is so far less than 100 every two months. I'm placed in the low 700s and I very much doubt I'll get to buy one before 2017. Hence why I bought a framemeister until then.

Register at videogameperfection asap if you want in on it. I'm just glad I'm in the UK for once! I bought my RGB bypass amps and the digital snes audio board from them and they all arrived within one day as they are also UK based. OSSC would be the same! No customs shenanigans!

Vespa

Ha thanks! I actually replaced them since that photo with ones actually cut out straight and not wonky as hell. Thought it'd be a good idea to have some sort of label on the switches and I had some spare glossy label paper! It's the same paper I use for my everdrive and repro labels that I design and print.

Bear in mind with the OSSC the waiting list is HUUUUUUUUUGE. Theyre made to order and shipping is so far less than 100 every two months. I'm placed in the low 700s and I very much doubt I'll get to buy one before 2017. Hence why I bought a framemeister until then.

Register at videogameperfection asap if you want in on it. I'm just glad I'm in the UK for once! I bought my RGB bypass amps and the digital snes audio board from them and it arrived within one day. OSSC would be the same!

Ah yeah the waiting list! Good point.

Are you done with your setup now? it's so neat and tidy, must have some mad cable management skillz. No Xbox, Ps2 or Wii (WiiU's vWii not being all that great)?

Rich!

Ah yeah the waiting list! Good point.

Are you done with your setup now? it's so neat and tidy, must have some mad cable management skillz. No Xbox, Ps2 or Wii (WiiU's vWii not being all that great)?

My Xbox is under my bed...it's got a 160gb HDD set up and all that but I just have no desire to really use it.

My Wii is now connected to my 17" JVC broadcast crt in the spare room!

And...the cable situation is terrifying. I've just hidden it all out of sight. When I was building my house I made sure I had integrated cabling through the walls for audio and video as well as 8 power sockets behind where the entertainment unit is....they are all in use. I've had to add on a multiplug adapter.

My setup is really limited on room now. I can't fit anything else on. Apart from maybe a PC engine. I may even try rgb modding a NES myself if I can get a top loader or AV Famicom for the right price - I was looking forward to the AVS but £50 shipping to the UK put that out of the question for me. Sadly.

Vespa

The integrated Audio and Video in the walls sounds amazing! My setup is a bit of a tip, I'm still playing with the setup and have cables spewing out everywhere not to mention one too many crts... I see that flat screen mounted on the wall and it all looks so perfect.

Got to get the xbox out for some Jet Set Radio or Panzer Dragoon Orta <3

Rich!

The integrated Audio and Video in the walls sounds amazing! My setup is a bit of a tip, I'm still playing with the setup and have cables spewing out everywhere not to mention one too many crts... I see that flat screen mounted on the wall and it all looks so perfect.

Got to get the xbox out for some Jet Set Radio or Panzer Dragoon Orta <3

Heh yeah it's good! I made sure to have it set up for the surround sound too:

oU3NaBYh.jpg

Crap photo as it's behind my sofa, but I have one of those banana jack panels for each surround speaker and a set of four inputs behind my surround sound unit. They run through the walls.

Behind the TV is a power outlet and an HDMI pass through, running through the wall.

Vespa

That house isn't playing around! I have some surround sound speakers I never bothered to put up because of the cabling, such an elegant solution.

Rich!

That house isn't playing around! I have some surround sound speakers I never bothered to put up because of the cabling, such an elegant solution.

Elegant when it's finished, a mess otherwise!!!

My place was a very large old outhouse that was converted into a large gym and then into a two bed place for me. Considering average rent here is £750 minimum per month for a SINGLE bedroom property I'm pretty fucking lucky. I live in the most expensive place in the UK by comparison to the residents incomes. Luckily I have a very easy and well paid job too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom