• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

The way people in Gaming sometimes talk about retro gaming is painful. Why buy an AVS when there's Retron, why play on CRT when I have a giant LCD and RetroArch, who needs native hardware when Retro Pi exists, why own an Everdrive when there's cheap flash cart, why buy original games when there's Wii U VC, etc.

It all goes back to cheap and perceived convenience being supreme over all other factors. These are the same people asking why their new modern console isn't made with better parts after it overheated and crapped out. Or asking why HDTV options for gamers are barely improving and sometimes going backward. Well, it's because this is a hobby made up of pretty casual gamers and peasants (in the sense of an unwillingness to pay for high quality). If we were all as discerning as audiophiles, we wouldn't be in the situation of hunting down old CRTs, modded hardware and pricey scalers to get adequate performance and picture quality out of our games. Most of the time we are only catered to by hobbyists because the average gamer, both out in the wild and here on GAF, is fine (happy really) with only paying for bottom of the barrel quality at every step of his setup.

I think it's due more to ignorance than anything. I doubt any of my real life gaming friends have ever actually seen a SCART cable in the flesh.

I think it's due more to ignorance than anything. I doubt any of my real life gaming friends have ever actually seen a SCART cable in the flesh.

I was hacking SCART cables to plug Playstation, Saturn, Genesis, Neo Geo into Commodore Amiga and Atari ST RGB monitors almost 20 years ago. :)

Grief.exe

As soon as you plug in the Framemeister over RGB, you realize it was all worth it.

This is so good.

This copy of Symphony of the Night is literally brand new.

Einhandr

Got a question since I'm still a novice in certain areas of the topic at hand. I've got an issue with my vp20 (one that isn't uncommon I don't think) in that my analog inputs does not translate to audio output through HDMI. My solution has been not instead plug my audio cables into RCA-3.5mm adapter into some external PC speakers. When I add the HDMI/DVI cable - HD Fury - VGA - minislg - VGA to my setup, is that going to create an sort of audio sync issues since that won't be part of the chain with the video?

Kawika

That gscart is a gorgeous piece of kit.

gscartswV31-01.jpg

I just got mine but I don't have a Male 2 Male Scart Cable. I bought one off of amazon but I don't know how much better the coaxial cable would be. None of my cables are coax so I don't know if there would be a difference.

Mega

Banned

I don't doubt it in those cases, but sometimes you come across willful ignorance, like durr I'll take my $50 Retron any day over your NESRGB, AVS, etc. People who know but think their clearly inferior solutions are about as good if not better. Information about RGB gaming, upscalers, etc was harder to come by but not anymore. I personally didn't get how 240p gaming on a 240p CRT was attractive in a time of HDTVs when 240p YouTube was a total eyesore! But now... At least for someone on GAF there shouldn't be any excuses with so many resources of info to get one educated and up to speed.

To be fair, I'm not ranting against gamers with a limited budget to think about. It's more the guys who buy multiple $90 collectors edition, yearly series releases and no effort ports, but take on a dismissive cheapskate attitude over the retro gaming niche.

I don't doubt it in those cases, but sometimes you comes across willful ignorance, like durr I'll take my $50 Retro any day over your NESRGB, AVS, etc. People who know but think their clearly inferior solutions are about as good if not better. Information about RGB gaming, upscalers, etc was harder to come by but not anymore. I personally didn't get how 240p gaming on a 240p CRT was attractive in a time of HDTVs when 240p YouTube was a total eyesore! But now... At least for someone on GAF there shouldn't be any excuses with so many resources of info to get one educated and up to speed.

To be fair, I'm not ranting against gamers with a limited budget to think about. It's more the guys who buy multiple $90 collectors edition, yearly series releases and no effort ports, but take on a dismissive cheapskate attitude over the retro gaming niche.

That's just it. These are GAFers! WTF! Like the guy in the thread a day or two ago who was asking about how to hook up his SNES to an LCD TV via RF.

Mega

Banned
I think that's an example of not knowing better. The OP wasn't being a jerk or anything bad. He was pretty receptive of the advice to test out better connections on his TV.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, I figured out how to get 480p to work via SCART on the OSSC. Had to switch to RGsB mode.

I will say, the PS2 doesn't look half bad via SCART, despite the system being notorious for noisy picture. It's definitely better than component.

IrishNinja

I will say, the PS2 doesn't look half bad via SCART, despite the system being notorious for noisy picture. It's definitely better than component.

this was always my conclusion too, yeah
again, only a handful of games i have supporting 480p helped push the decision to stick with that format as well

IrishNinja

yeah, ive got less than 10 of those...if i had more of those awesome import sega AGES ones maybe that'd sway me to try it again!

ive never really thought too great of PS2 IQ either way though, it's not bad but man the rest of that gen looked so much better

The way people in Gaming sometimes talk about retro gaming is painful. Why buy an AVS when there's Retron, why play on CRT when I have a giant LCD and RetroArch, who needs native hardware when Retro Pi exists, why own an Everdrive when there's cheap flash cart, why buy original games when there's Wii U VC, etc.

It all goes back to cheap and perceived convenience being supreme over all other factors. These are the same people asking why their new modern console isn't made with better parts after it overheated and crapped out. Or asking why HDTV options for gamers are barely improving and sometimes going backward. Well, it's because this is a hobby made up of pretty casual gamers and peasants (in the sense of an unwillingness to pay for high quality). If we were all as discerning as audiophiles, we wouldn't be in the situation of hunting down old CRTs, modded hardware and pricey scalers to get adequate performance and picture quality out of our games. Most of the time we are only catered to by hobbyists because the average gamer, both out in the wild and here on GAF, is fine (happy really) with only paying for bottom of the barrel quality at every step of his setup.

Some gamers just don't understand how much of a difference a quality setup can make, or are oblivious to the advantages of older AV technology. I'm talking about those who assume 240p = grainy shit quality, CRTs = blurry trash, Virtual Console = perfect emulation, etc. And of course, input lag is a myth because they "didn't notice any lag".

Just because something has HDMI out doesn't automatically make it the definitive option.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
What problems with the Hama and Bandridge??? I have only heard of some Hama clones and other mo-name crap switches having problems. I got three Bandridge switches for a total of $110, so actually a lot less than the gscart. Last I checked they're still out there for such low-ish prices. I'm not trying to crap on the gscart either, it's a nice product, just wishing to clear up some things.

Regarding daisy chaining, you can connect three good switches with no signal degradation. Past that it may be a minor decrease.

Honestly, I can not answer you. I did a lot of research on scart-switcher about a year ago, including asking here, talking to the MLiG-guys and the retrorgb-guy, and while I havent tried either the Hama or the Bandridge myself, I got the impression that both of those had reported issues. So I decided to wait for the Gscart, and since the first batch was sent out and got very good reviews, I decided to go for it. Still doesnt have mine though.

Edit: But I'm still looking for evidence that these things really don't degrade the signal.

At least the reception from MLiG, RetroRGB and the guys that have given impression over at assemblergamer seems to be really positive. I will get mine soon as well, will post about it then.

Morfeo

Does anyone know if a mini din extension would work with the xrgb Mini? Having the scart input on the front is such a huge design fuckup. It's even on the fucking top when upright! Why?!

It should be at the back, switched with the sd slot.

Lol, this irritates me to no end too. The composite is also in the front, but at least nobody is insane enough to use them.

I might need to go get a new PS1, mine freezes consistently on the boot screen.

Maybe you just need to replace the optical drive? Mine gave up the ghost a week ago (it froze on the boot screen or on a game's title screen), and so I ordered a new optical drive off Amazon. It works perfectly!

Although, there are different model optical drives for the different model PS1 units. My console is 5501 or 5505 (can't remember), and there were people on some message boards that discussed the correct model optical drive to get.

Morfeo

Bro you should upgrade your SNES to a RetroN5. I hear they're incredible, can run that awesome Super 2×SaI filter on real cartridges.

Actually you know what, Sonic the Hedgehog was a bad game so all Super Nintendo games are bad too, so the only game we're allowed to play anymore is The Last Of Us Rereleased Again over and over on PS4 Neo.

MtZ9N.gif

Perfect post.

Grief.exe

Maybe you just need to replace the optical drive? Mine gave up the ghost a week ago (it froze on the boot screen or on a game's title screen), and so I ordered a new optical drive off Amazon. It works perfectly!

Although, there are different model optical drives for the different model PS1 units. My console is 5501 or 5505 (can't remember), and there were people on some message boards that discussed the correct model optical drive to get.

Probably the issue at hand, but these things are so cheap I might just throw down the $20 on Craigslist to get a new one.

ShowDog

I love my PVM over RGB, but at only 13" honestly I'd rather play on a 27" Trinitron over svideo (although my RGB to component converter is nice). The right sets look great and can be had all day on Craigslist for FREE. There's really no elitism necessary to get a good experience with retro equipment. Don't need a PVM, don't need scart, don't need a framemeister. Just need to give half a shit. An suv and some muscles will help too!

leroidys

What do you guys reckon is the best way to display gen 6 consoles (xbox, ps2, gamecube, dreamcast, (wii))?

PVM? Large CRT? LCD w/ scalers and/or component?

Asking because this is all that I have set up in addition to my PS3 and Wii U, and an occasionally connected NES.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What do you guys reckon is the best way to display gen 6 consoles (xbox, ps2, gamecube, dreamcast, (wii))?

Asking because this is all that I have set up in addition to my PS3 and Wii U, and an occasionally connected NES.

Most Gen 6 games run at 480p, so even if SD CRTs are the shit for 240p stuff, I dunno that I'd recommend them for Gen 6. I do feel like an LCD with a decent scaler built in is up to the task in most cases. Obviously, component (or the VGA box, in the DC's case) is a requirement.

Dreamcast w/the Hanzo VGA box -> OSSC -> my TV looks mind-boggling. I can't believe a system from 1999 pumps out an image that good.

Khaz

There are CRT HDTVs out there, but they are uncommon. Not really sought after or expensive, just uncommon.

Gahhhh.

I want to upgrade my TV later this year. UK. I posted for help in the TV thread in gaming side, and said I would be looking for something with good colour reproduction and low input lag for my retro gaming

The only replies I got were sarcastic comments of "why bother upgrading your TV then if you're just playing old games?! Buy a PS4!" Sigh

Anyone got any ideas? It must be 55", lower than £1k and for sale at currys for their credit plans. Ive got my eye on the Samsung range as I hear the input lag is very low.

I don't have a particular model to suggest but http://www.rtings.com/ is great for checking out reviews for things like color reproduction and input lag.

I got a Samsung 4K set in November of last year that has been awesome.

I'm just going to put this out there but almost every HD CRT out there (least the ones that were widescreen) had major geometry issues. How bad that is, is going to depend on how noticeable geometry issues are to you.

Morfeo

I have an original Dreamcast VGA-box, will the Toro give an even better picture? I find the picture to be pretty dam clean already.

Vespa

New pc crt pick up, an IBM P275 21", It's a really nice picture although I think the sweet spot for practicality is 19"!

Only way I can get the Wii to look decent is on a pc crt:

28856374091_6c23710692_o.jpg

Horrible moire in this pic

28314225334_dfbd85fec9_o.jpg

A little blown out but you can see how nice the image looks on the left

28314226904_d02858a670_o.jpg

Bonus faint 480p scanlines

Grief.exe

8bitdo Bluetooth SNES controllers + SNES Bluetooth adapters have any input lag that's been tested?

From what I've heard, it's fairly minimal. I hope they do one for PS1/PS2 next.

Here's Rich's review from the thread

Got mine in the post today!

All I can say is that it works as advertised, and I've been playing DKC2 with both my 8bitdo SNES30 and dualshock 4 with no lag whatsoever

Really happy with it.

ShowDog

I've seen quite a few EDTV, 480p plasma displays on Craigslist. In theory they would have little to no lag because they don't scale, and they should look pretty good aside from maybe some poor black levels. We're talking 2005 Panasonic 42" panels, mostly. But for the $50 people usually want you probably would be better off putting it towards an external scaler.

Probably the issue at hand, but these things are so cheap I might just throw down the $20 on Craigslist to get a new one.

The optical drive cost me $16 with free shipping. :p

A new optical drive would mean that your console lasts longer, too! This assumes that it is your optical drive that is having issues, though.

GCN looks great on an HDTV for 480p games... Which is most of them. I'd give it a chance if I were you.

You could always search for a converter after giving it a shot. Although I'm betting such a converter is a bit more rare than RGB to component.

Yeah, I found one on a European website I'm not familiar with, but most sites seem to be RGB to component, rather than what I want. :\

No. Toro is great but the original VGA box gives just as good a signal.

I think it looks better than any other VGA option available for the Dreamcast. I've used a multitude of cables and the Toro beats them out. Also, the ability to output RGB via SCART is worth the price alone, especially for the few titles that support 240p.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

There's only really two valid arguments I can understand: CRTs and Original Games.

CRTs are huge and heavy and difficult to track down these days. Even second hand and charity shops are phasing them out and what's left isn't exactly in the best condition.

Original games are getting stupid expensive, especially the gems of each system's library. You're not going to find a whole lot of folks outside of enthusiasts willing to spend more money on a 20+ year old cartridge than a currently Playstation 4 or Xbox One title.

Otherwise I agree.

The optical drive cost me $16 with free shipping. :p

A new optical drive would mean that your console lasts longer, too! This assumes that it is your optical drive that is having issues, though.

Is it one from China?

FYI you might want to double check that thing when you get it. I've heard that the lasers are fine but they tend to not use a metal sled, and instead cheap out with a plastic sled. Thus over time you'll find wear causing damage to the laser assembly and you'll end up with some severe problems reading discs, similar to the oldest PS1 models. But don't expect just turning it upside down to help... being that it's a clone part the fitting isn't quite as good and the damage is more severe more quickly.

You can however swap some parts (mostly just the laser itself, and the ribbon cable attached to it) over to the original assembly and get a fully functioning long lasting laser.

Is it one from China?

FYI you might want to double check that thing when you get it. I've heard that the lasers are fine but they tend to not use a metal sled, and instead cheap out with a plastic sled. Thus over time you'll find wear causing damage to the laser assembly and you'll end up with some severe problems reading discs, similar to the oldest PS1 models. But don't expect just turning it upside down to help... being that it's a clone part the fitting isn't quite as good and the damage is more severe more quickly.

You can however swap some parts (mostly just the laser itself, and the ribbon cable attached to it) over to the original assembly and get a fully functioning long lasting laser.

It probably is from China. I will give it a look over later. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom