• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another option might be the OSSC, I don't have one but the reviews say the component transcoding is superb with zero desynchs. I believe that costs £150, but it does a bunch of other cool things so might be worth considering (Would require a DVI>VGA dongle).

@Rich! Great setup, love the logos on the switch boxes.

All I really wanted was something to get a Wii to display on my PVM. If this (the GARO) goes to SCART, then I can do that! :D

Damn, this Toro shit out on me after a week. Hitting up the Behar Bros. for a replacement/refund, hopefully it works out.

Everybody else who got one, or considering getting one, watch out. I think another person on this board had issues, too.

leroidys

Thanks for the feedback on my gen 6 question everyone, using my HDTV is probably for the best, but I think I just have some major scanline envy due to this thread :p

Damn, this Toro shit out on me after a week. Hitting up the Behar Bros. for a replacement/refund, hopefully it works out.

Everybody else who got one, or considering getting one, watch out. I think another person on this board had issues, too.

Ugh, that sucks. Keep us updated, I need to pick something up like this soon and was thinking of going with the toro. Best of luck!

Peagles

What happened to it? Mine's still going strong, for now.

Thing won't stay powered on with either SCART or VGA connected. It was hot to the touch so it's probably a short somewhere. Yossi, my favorite Beharbro, is pretty quick to respond to emails so I'll probably hear back later AM EST.

That 3rd strike/Alpha 3 240p looked so good...

T__T

Mega

Banned
Does USB3HDCAP properly display 240p? I tried composite and s-video for a few systems and Amarec showed only the top half of a weird 480i picture. Nothing in Amarec's settings fixed it.

I was using my quirky CRT Emudriver/GroovyMame PC. Maybe that was the cause? I would use my regular PC but it's in a different room from my retro consoles... could try getting a long USB3 cable.

Do I need to do anything with these scanlines. They seem okay to me.

2csUrex.jpg

vcz9ZwP.jpg

4ZHzKvA.jpg

baphomet

I feel like mine shit out on me as well. It's been awhile, but it was something to do with the Dreamcast connector. Took forever for the replacement, but once it arrived it worked beautifully.

Timu

Does USB3HDCAP properly display 240p? I tried composite and s-video for a few systems and Amarec showed only the top half of a weird 480i picture. Nothing in Amarec's settings fixed it.
Yes, this explains how to do it.

"720x240 is supported over both Composite and S-Video but the capture frame rate is always 30 fps. You must capture at 720x480 and deinterlace to get the proper 60 fps."

An alternative that will work is to select 720x240, then at Graph2(Preview) set Scan Line Doubler to Enable. Well, this works for RGB and Component at least, but can be given a try.

Peagles

Thing won't stay powered on with either SCART or VGA connected. It was hot to the touch so it's probably a short somewhere. Yossi, my favorite Beharbro, is pretty quick to respond to emails so I'll probably hear back later AM EST.

That 3rd strike/Alpha 3 240p looked so good...

T__T

I feel like mine shit out on me as well. It's been awhile, but it was something to do with the Dreamcast connector. Took forever for the replacement, but once it arrived it worked beautifully.

Lameness... Mine needs to be plugged in very hard into the DC but otherwise it's fine. Hope it stays that way!

SKINNER!

Banned
Nah, RGB works because it's not encoded, only the refresh rate changes. Composite, SVideo and Component are encoded so that everything can fit in a single wire. NTSC and PAL have different incompatible Chroma encoding. Often what happens when a TV made for a region receives a signal made for another is that it only displays the Luma (B&W) part of it, which isn't encoded and common to both standards. Sometimes a TV can display a foreign encoding only on a specific input, but that was mainly for older sets, or so I thought.

Lots of purple looks like on the PS2 whenever RGB or Component is selected in the menu but the other cable is used. Purple for one combo, green for the other iirc.

Keep looking in the menus, try to find the service menu, maybe something is deactivated somewhere. Call Toshiba directly or the place where you bought it (any number on your manual), maybe the whole range was misconfigured: the last TV I bought was configured for use in Eastern Europe with only Russian, Ukrainian, Polish and other weird alphabets were selectable, with no trace of English or any other western languages. The seller laughed at my incompetence when I explained my problem at the shop, but when I called customer service they had me go deep into the service menu to change stuff and get western languages. They had loads of complaints and they just fucked up at the factory.

[Edit] waitaminute I don't see PAL60 in the manual. Probably an oversight, but there is a possibility the decoding is based on the refresh rate, ie assumes that anything 50Hz is PAL and anything 60Hz is NTSC. The PAL console with an American game would still output PAL, but at a faster 60HZ? I don't know much about the N64 but that's how I'm assuming it should work. Call the helpdesk, but don't give them that info directly. PAL60 is a thing (in Brazil), so TVs should manage.

Great advice! Thanks buddy! I'll further investigate this tonight.

Vespa

All I really wanted was something to get a Wii to display on my PVM. If this (the GARO) goes to SCART, then I can do that! :D

Yeah, GARO has a Scart output.

If all you want is the Wii connected up to your PVM via RGB Scart then you can flash the firmware (so you can change it to PAL) and just use a Scart direct. I'm assuming you have a NTSC Wii. Does your PVM support 480p?

Edit: I think xbox and ps2 in NTSC land also support RGB scart?

This seems to be exactly what's wrong with mine. Yossi got back to me so we will see where this goes.

Peltz

Khaz dropping the knowledge. Thanks for that informative post earlier.

I store them in the original cases.some of them are rubber banded closed if they're broken.

You could also order replacement jewel cd cases online.

In a binder.
I feel like that scratches them.

I used to have a really large CD collection. Whenever I bought a PS1 game over the years I would swap the beat up or broken jewel case for a pristine one from my CDs. As a result, nearly all of my PS games look minty and new on first glance. Just order some replacements if you don't have CDs laying around.

Rich!

Khaz dropping the knowledge. Thanks for that informative post earlier.

I store them in the original cases.some of them are rubber banded closed if they're broken.

You could also order replacement jewel cd cases online.

I feel like that scratches them.

My binder isn't a slide in one. It has panels for discs just like in a jewel case, but slimmer.

I have nowhere really to store any DVD/game cases in my place where they would be easily accessible.

Mega

Banned
Yes, this explains how to do it.

"720x240 is supported over both Composite and S-Video but the capture frame rate is always 30 fps. You must capture at 720x480 and deinterlace to get the proper 60 fps."

An alternative that will work is to select 720x240, then at Graph2(Preview) set Scan Line Doubler to Enable. Well, this works for RGB and Component at least, but can be given a try.

Thanks! That was a helpful read. I'll give this a try next time. The FPS doesn't bug me. I'm doing this to capture still shots in order to draw comparisons.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I have my Dreamcast collection in a binder and the jewel cases in storage, but sooner or later I'm gonna try to cut my collection by at least half (75+ to maybe 30/40) so I can put them out on display.

Maybe even swap out some of the more mediocre titles for stuff I wanted but never got around to picking up.

Ruprit

How do you guys store your PS1 games?

These CD cases are flimsy.

Cases go in protective sleeves and cds go in binders from AmazonBasics.

My end goal is to have all my games ripped to a hard drive so that they can be played on each console via sd card (PS1, Saturn), or hard disk (Xbox).

Cases go in protective sleeves and cds go in binders from AmazonBasics.

My end goal is to have all my games ripped to a hard drive so that they can be played on each console via sd card (PS1, Saturn), or hard disk (Xbox).

That's the fuckin' dream. I've been slowly backing up my Saturn disc library in anticipation of the recent Dr. Abrasive developments. Not to mention RHEA.

Ruprit

That's the fuckin' dream. I've been slowly backing up my Saturn disc library in anticipation of the recent Dr. Abrasive developments. Not to mention RHEA.

Do you have a disc ripper that you recommend?

I was lucky enough to get on the Phoebe list this past weekend, so I'll see how that works out. I would also love to see how the one you mentioned turns out as it seems like it will be superior. The next PS-IO pre-orders are in October, so keep an eye out for that.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a larger hard drive for my original Xbox (somehow, the molex cable I bought is doa). All this time I thought the fan was causing the noise. I never realized the 8gb hard drives were so noisy. The thing is silent once you remove the old drive.

Timu

What does that do? I want the closest to original screenshot capture. To me that reads like it will add a blur filter!
It makes a 720x240 image to a 720x480 image, has nothing to do with blurring thankfully. Heck it's a requirement for recording or else the image would look wrong.

It makes a 720x240 image to a 720x480 image, has nothing to do with blurring thankfully. Heck it's a requirement for recording or else the image would look wrong.

I want to try, relatively soon, to make "perfect" recordings by doing what I did here for a single screen:

Mh3PCmy.png

I captured at 720x240 RGB, then cropped down to 644x224, then resampled down to 256x224 in Paint.NET using 'Best Quality' which removed sampling errors from the original capture. Then I scaled out 3X with nearest neighbor for legibility (size).

Is there a program where I could script to do this for every single frame in a video? I have an i7, don't really care if it takes a while.

Has Krikzz ever mentioned anything of the sort? Given his history, I would think that he could easily make the best product available.

Not that I know of, sadly.

omgkitty

Could use some help. Just picked up a component cable for my PS2, and while it looks a lot better, I'm getting some weirdness. Does this look normal? These were taken with my phone so that probably doesn't help, but the open world stuff in Yakuza looks almost abstract at times. The smaller scenes and close ups on faces look good though. Not sure if this is the cable or just weird old PS2 game.

I want to try, relatively soon, to make "perfect" recordings by doing what I did here for a single screen:

Mh3PCmy.png

I captured at 720x240 RGB, then cropped down to 644x224, then resampled down to 256x224 in Paint.NET using 'Best Quality' which removed sampling errors from the original capture. Then I scaled out 3X with nearest neighbor for legibility (size).

Is there a program where I could script to do this for every single frame in a video? I have an i7, don't really care if it takes a while.

You could do that with an ImageMagick pretty easily if you have every frame as an image file... you'd just need to figure out the right command for each step and send it off on every frame in a folder.

Converting from a video to frames and back to a video would probably be the most annoying part of that process. That could be scripted as well though.

New002

Pardon my ignorance, but I decided to try these settings out and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the scan lines to display properly (evenly). I see what I can only describe as light banding across the image. So there will be, say, 10 darker lines, 10 lighter lines, 10 darker lines etc. It's subtle, but the difference is clear when I compare it to Firebird's 4x 1080p profile with scan lines on. For those more knowledgeable than I, is there a setting I can tweak to try and address this?

Thanks so much!

Well I took a few minutes to move my Framemeister and SNES to my LG set in the living room and lo and behold the scanlines looks perfect at 720p. I've come to the sad conclusion that my Sony Bravia that's part of my retro set-up does not properly scale 720p content, and unfortunately none of the display options solve the issue. Total bummer. Looks like I'll be sticking to FBX's 1080p profiles on that set.

Timu

Mh3PCmy.png

Not that I know of, but man that takes a lot of work.

angelic

Banned
I'm trying to get scanlines out of my PS4 on my framemeister, it only works in 480p, anyone know how to get it working?

Latest firmware 2.03a, ps4 set to 720p, meister out set to 1080p, scanlines will not turn on.

Do you have a disc ripper that you recommend?

I was lucky enough to get on the Phoebe list this past weekend, so I'll see how that works out. I would also love to see how the one you mentioned turns out as it seems like it will be superior. The next PS-IO pre-orders are in October, so keep an eye out for that.

I'm in the process of upgrading to a larger hard drive for my original Xbox (somehow, the molex cable I bought is doa). All this time I thought the fan was causing the noise. I never realized the 8gb hard drives were so noisy. The thing is silent once you remove the old drive.

I used imgburn based off a youtube recommendation

Photoshop supports scripting. It can also open video streams and work frame by frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom