• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Thanks everyone. I already have all my stuff hooked up to a PVM via RGB but I always get asked why I don't use component by other gamers I know locally.

So at 480p does component still have inferior colours?

plc268

Component is more of a matter of convenience, honestly. I already have stuff wired up via RGB on an xrgb mini, but I also do have a trinitron with component. I like having a choice, and honestly I'm not gonna lie, If were sitting on a couch a few feet away, I probably couldn't tell the difference between component and rgb anyway.

antibolo

Banned
Thanks everyone. I already have all my stuff hooked up to a PVM via RGB but I always get asked why I don't use component by other gamers I know locally.

So at 480p does component still have inferior colours?

SCART RGB does not do 480p (because it's 31 KHz). If you want 480p then you need to use component (and take the hit on color reproduction accuracy). But of course this is irrelevant if your output device does not do 480p to begin with.

Cross posted from the SNES collector's thread.
Had an idea to do my component modded SNES's with a TRRS style jack.
Looks pretty good. And not as gaudy as the SNES with the gold RCA jacks sticking out the back. Almost looks factory.
Also modified the circuit a bit and now it looks nearly as good as RGB on my PVM.
078f9460-ec74-4a76-a5c6-cd975a2b838c.jpg
]

Why component and not RGBS? TRRS means 4 contacts, yes? would be perfect for a RGBS to Scart cable or simply plugging it onto a PVM/BVM BNC monitor directly.

Does the analog out still work? because standard nintendo cables would then supply the sound nonetheless.

I'm just asking because for YPrBr component there has to be quite a bit of things going on inside and a most TV's don't play well with 240p over component. The idea in itself is genius.

Peagles

SCART RGB does not do 480p (because it's 31 KHz). If you want 480p then you need to use component. But of course this is irrelevant if your output device does not do 480p.

I know, I'm asking just about the colour aspect, if component colours are still as inferior at 480p as they are at 480i.

Or more simply put, does component colour improve at 480p and above, or does it simply become the only choice since RGB SCART can't go to 480p or above?

HaL64

Why component and not RGBS? TRRS means 4 contacts, yes? would be perfect for a RGBS to Scart cable or simply plugging it onto a PVM/BVM BNC monitor directly.

Does the analog out still work? because standard nintendo cables would then supply the sound nonetheless.

I'm just asking because for YPrBr component there has to be quite a bit of things going on inside and a most TV's don't play well with 240p over component. The idea in itself is genius.

4 contacts yes. One is ground though. You could do RGB with sync on green if your monitor supported it.
Not sure if there is a TRRRS jack. There might be.
This is more for people who don't want to go the more expensive RGB route and want to hook up their SNES to component input on a Trinitron CRT TV or something.
Yeah the audio still works through the AV port.

Lyriell

Ive got 2 modded PAL snes units setup for component.... but i notice some green lines on the screen that are somewhat faint and run vertical... any ideas? Could it be the power supply i am using on both the units? Shluld i get another one and try...? Besides these lines it looks amazing.

antibolo

Banned
I know, I'm asking just about the colour aspect, if component colours are still as inferior at 480p as they are at 480i.

Or more simply put, does component colour improve at 480p and above, or does it simply become the only choice since RGB SCART can't go to 480p or above?

There's no particular reason for component to "improve" at higher resolutions, it's always still YPbPr no matter the resolution.

I got my NES RGB modded by Baphomet and man is it fantastic. Totally worth it. I'd take pictures, but I suck at that sort of thing. Plus, I'm sure plenty of people have taken pictures of Baphomet's work.

Also, I have a dumb question. Would it suffice to plug in the red cable for my audio into the single audio port, or buy an adapter that will take the white and red? This will mainly matter for when I buy my receiver and start doing stereo.

Also, I bought an add on module for a second RGB input. I hooked my Wii up to it, and it looks great (maybe slightly dim picture) Should I assume that module also self terminates, as the inputs for the 20l5 does? As far as I know, I would be able to tell quite easily if I needed to terminate the ports, but I wanted to make sure the effect of the ports needed to be terminated wasn't minor, or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Also, I have a dumb question. Would it suffice to plug in the red cable for my audio into the single audio port, or buy an adapter that will take the white and red? This will mainly matter for when I buy my receiver and start doing stereo.

Are you doing this for Svideo? SCART cables include the audio don't they? If he set you up with the Genesis AV out then you'll get better audio out of that. The default mono port is garbage by comparison.

Are you doing this for Svideo? SCART cables include the audio don't they? If he set you up with the Genesis AV out then you'll get better audio out of that. The default mono port is garbage by comparison.
I guess I should clarify, this is mainly a question about for my component based systems.

ZealousD

I guess I should clarify, this is mainly a question about for my component based systems.

So do you have component video jacks plus a Genesis AV out for the RGB? I'm not exactly sure what the back of your system looks like.

So do you have component video jacks plus a Genesis AV out for the RGB? I'm not exactly sure what the back of your system looks like.
I'm not sure where the Genesis came in (I had my NES RGB modded, which was a point seperate from this question) but I am referring to my systems like the Wii, original Xbox, PS2, etc. Those systems' audio are being carried via the white and red audio cables.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I got my NES RGB modded by Baphomet and man is it fantastic. Totally worth it. I'd take pictures, but I suck at that sort of thing. Plus, I'm sure plenty of people have taken pictures of Baphomet's work.

Unless you had some crazy NES mod... the NES is mono sound, not stereo.

So you can get a cheap splitter from red>red+white if you want the same mono sound coming out of both speakers. Pennies at Radio Shack.

ZealousD

I'm not sure where the Genesis came in (I had my NES RGB modded, which was a point seperate from this question) but I am referring to my systems like the Wii, original Xbox, PS2, etc. Those systems' audio are being carried via the white and red audio cables.

Sorry. I guess Im still not exactly clear what you are asking. Anything that takes component input should have both red/white inputs for stereo audio. If you had only one input you'll be missing either the left or right channel.

I brought up the Genesis because when Baphomet does the NESRGB mod he can set you up so that the RGB output uses a Genesis AV out connector. Makes it easy to get RGB cables for the NES.

I'm sorry if I'm not making this clear. I am not asking about stereo for the NES or any other Scart system. My original post was to chime in about the quality of work Baphomet provides, and then to move on to an unrelated point.

I have the Wii, PS2 and Xbox hooked up via component cables. These component cables carry the audio via white and red audio cables. My PVM has one input for audio. Do I need an adapter to get both audio cables plugged in, or is plugging in the one red audio sufficient?

EDIT: Zealous, my PVM has one input for audio across all of its various video inputs. Does that mean I can only get one channel of audio? Also, I wound up doing a 3D print of a SNES style multiout instead of the Gen connector because I guess the Gen connector doesn't fit in a toploader.

ZealousD

I have the Wii, PS2 and Xbox hooked up via component cables. These component cables carry the audio via white and red audio cables. My PVM has one input for audio. Do I need an adapter to get both audio cables plugged in, or is plugging in the one red audio sufficient?

Are you sure that the audio input is for composite audio? That seems very strange to me that you have component inputs without having two ports for both channels.

antibolo

Banned
All PVMs only have mono sound. And yes it's a plain RCA connector.

For stereo sources you have to either merge channels with a Y adapter (doesn't work well in my personal experience), or ignore the PVM speaker and use something else.

But the NES should be mono only anyway, unless there was also a stereo mod along with the RGB mod.

Peagles

I'm sorry if I'm not making this clear. I am not asking about stereo for the NES or any other Scart system. My original post was to chime in about the quality of work Baphomet provides, and then to move on to an unrelated point.

EDIT: Zealous, my PVM has one input for audio across all of its various video inputs. Does that mean I can only get one channel of audio? Also, I wound up doing a 3D print of a SNES style multiout instead of the Gen connector because I guess the Gen connector doesn't fit in a toploader.

What model is your PVM? Mine only has one input for audio and has a small mono speaker, but I run all my audio directly to my speaker system with both red and white ends (even for SCART, because my SCART BNC cable separates audio as well as RGBS).

My other PVM has a place to attach stereo speakers, so for that one I'd just run all cable ends into it and then have stereo sound through the speakers I could attach. It sounds like your one probably doesn't have this feature though.

Are you sure that the audio input is for composite audio? That seems very strange to me that you have component inputs without having two ports for both channels.
They're RGB inputs. The module is just like the stock input on the TV-- video only, single audio input. In fact I just remembered the BNC-> Scart breakout cable I'm using also has red and white audio, which would go into my receiver (when I buy it and start using it). And then is there a single audio cable type that goes from my PVM's audio input to my receiver to provide both channels of audio? Or there might be a headphone jack on my PVM, I can't remember... is that what I would use?

EDIT:
What model is your PVM? Mine only has one input for audio and has a small mono speaker, but I run all my audio directly to my speaker system with both red and white ends (even for SCART, because my SCART BNC cable separates audio as well as RGBS).
Yes, I want to do this exactly. How do you hook the receiver up to it?

antibolo

Banned
They're RGB inputs. The module is just like the stock input on the TV-- video only, single audio input. In fact I just remembered the BNC-> Scart breakout cable I'm using also has red and white audio, which would go into my receiver (when I buy it and start using it). And then is there a single audio cable type that goes from my PVM's audio input to my receiver to provide both channels of audio? Or there might be a headphone jack on my PVM, I can't remember... is that what I would use?

No, plug the white/red RCA ends of your breakout cable directly into your receiver and ignore the (mono only) audio connections on your PVM.

Peagles

EDIT:

Yes, I want to do this exactly. How do you hook the receiver up to it?

No, plug the white/red RCA ends of your breakout cable directly into your receiver and ignore the (mono only) audio connections on your PVM.

Like this ^ the audio does not go via the PVM at all.

D'oh. I am guessing I need to get a new BNC--> Component breakout that has Red/White cables, then. Right now it's just the three video cables.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

4 contacts yes. One is ground though. You could do RGB with sync on green if your monitor supported it.
Not sure if there is a TRRRS jack. There might be.
This is more for people who don't want to go the more expensive RGB route and want to hook up their SNES to component input on a Trinitron CRT TV or something.
Yeah the audio still works through the AV port.
I hadn't thought about that! (the ground pin)

But I still think RGBS could work! I mean the S in RGBS a lot of times is simply composite, right? meaning I just need to take out RGB!

Kinda defeats the purpose, but... Everyone has the regular cable, anyway, that way one would only have to add three 75 Ohm RCA cables to it.

HaL64

I hadn't thought about that! (the ground pin)

But I still think RGBS could work! I mean the S in RGBS a lot of times is simply composite, right? meaning I just need to take out RGB!

Kinda defeats the purpose, but... Everyone has the regular cable, anyway, that way one would only have to add three 75 Ohm RCA cables to it.

Depends if your display allows composite as sync. Some PVMs do I think. My PVM requires pure sync. So theoretically you could do it. But yeah you are missing the point. You might as well take a rgb scart cable and just add RCA/BNC jacks to the end.
The mod I was doing was purely for component people.

Is that with a switch? If not you could just run small BNC-RCA connectors from the component ends to your PVM. They're less than a buck each.
Right now I'm using an adapter, and then when I get a receiver, I'll be using that like a switch. But I think I had a derpy moment previously-- I just need to plug in my systems' audio into the receiver, and then select the input the audio is on the receiver, and obviously select the video on my PVM.

Derp.

Madao

i got my SNES mini from HaL64 today and, man, it's crazy how good the games look with RGB. i tried SMW and it looks pretty much the same as the Wii U VC release since i played that one very recently to beat every level. i'll need better cables though since the cable i have is pretty bad.

one thing that turned weird was S-Video. i tried that first but the video feed cut out after a bit and i couldn't get it to work after that. i'm using a Framemeister and the official S-Video cable from Nintendo for this. are there any known issues for this set-up?

Depends if your display allows composite as sync. Some PVMs do I think. My PVM requires pure sync. So theoretically you could do it. But yeah you are missing the point. You might as well take a rgb scart cable and just add RCA/BNC jacks to the end.
The mod I was doing was purely for component people.
Hehe, I know (I'm missing it completely).

But I loved the mod, I was trying to make sense of it/give it purpose sans the component because I felt it would be simpler internally to simply rewire stuff rather than putting it through conversion for YPrBr. Sadly it didn't make much sense, I'm aware of that.

I have that, Scart to RCA to BNC's. *goes hug PVM's*

Vark

Stupid excited. I have a really great 14" PVM and managed to get a hold of a damn near perfect PVM-20L2 this week for pretty cheap. Came out of a working studio, no burn in, front is cosmetically perfect.

(Linking the image because it's 2.2mb from my phone and too big to post, but you can zoom in and see delicious scanlines)

http://frankward.net/neogaf/IMG_7007.JPG

Need trying to decide how I want to wire it up. Thinking of just going scart to RCA but I'm trying to reduce the number of cables involved and making BNC cables for each console would be a bit much.

HaL64

Stupid excited. I have a really great 14" PVM and managed to get a hold of a damn near perfect PVM-20L2 this week for pretty cheap. Came out of a working studio, no burn in, front is cosmetically perfect.

(Linking the image because it's 2.2mb from my phone and too big to post, but you can zoom in and see delicious scanlines)

http://frankward.net/neogaf/IMG_7007.JPG

Need trying to decide how I want to wire it up. Thinking of just going scart to RCA but I'm trying to reduce the number of cables involved and making BNC cables for each console would be a bit much.

You just get a scart switch box, a male to male scart cable, and one of these.

Mafia Films

Neo Member
Ive got 2 modded PAL snes units setup for component.... but i notice some green lines on the screen that are somewhat faint and run vertical... any ideas? Could it be the power supply i am using on both the units? Shluld i get another one and try...? Besides these lines it looks amazing.

May be something with the system. I remember reading about vertical lines after doing a component mod. Im not sure what causes it besides the certain models the mod is done to.

I know several older model SNES have the ability to tap the encoder/av multi out w/e u please to get the RGB signal off and out to component. I think they had 1 S-ENC chip encoder than 2 variations of the S-ENC that were similar.

Voliko

I'm snagging a PVM this weekend, finally. A shame the scart to BNC cords are 40 bucks though. Oh well, it's a small price to pay to bask in the warm glow of a top notch CRT :)

And there's something cozy about smaller TVs. Maybe I'll be able to replay Chrono Cross again, the framemeister can't handle those resolution changes between the higher res menu and the rest of the game fast enough! Kind of pissed me off when I found out about that, that's one of my favorite RPGs.

Peagles

On that note, could you just get a SCART to 6 RCA cable and plug on some BNC adapters? They can be had for less than a buck.

Anyone know anything about the Sony Trinitron BVM-20F1U? Might have a chance to get one and would like input on if it's appropriate for a scart to BNC setup.

Timu

I am so new to this, but this would be perfect for whatever direct feeds I can do with my older consoles before PS1. Just need to know where to begin, that's all.

Peagles

This is relevant to my interests

THe 6 RCA cables would have to be wired to the right pins for R G B S and L R audio, but otherwise I don't see why not... Then add 4 RCA-BNC connectors for the R G B S and you're done!

Even if it wasn't wired, if you're handy with soldering you could rewire at the connector.

Voliko

THe 6 RCA cables would have to be wired to the right pins for R G B S and L R audio, but otherwise I don't see why not... Then add 4 RCA-BNC connectors for the R G B S and you're done!

Even if it wasn't wired, if you're handy with soldering you could rewire at the connector.
So this wouldn't cause a drop in quality or anything?

Peagles

So this wouldn't cause a drop in quality or anything?

Not unless you bought a poor quality cable, I guess. I think those SCART-6RCA cables are probably wired for Y Pb Pr Composite and L R audio, so might need some changes to work with R G B S instead of Y Pb Pr Composite, but I'm not an expert on that part.

If they are proper quality there's really no wiring to speak of, it's just signal and ground per each cable, it should be fine.

The problem is that every cable used for video has to be 75 Ohms or more, never ever 50 Ohms or you'll see tons of random grain (a tempest) going on in your picture. And audio cables, bar the ubber expensive ones are always 50 Ohms. And sadly, video cables on the cheap side can have very, very bad shielding too.

What 6 RCA component cables are those?

I usually use 3 component cables with RCA's on both ends plus a loose 75 Ohm cable for the sync.
Have You Hugged Your PVM Today
That I did, cleaned them too, it was starting to get dusty in there.

Then played some Yoshi Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom