• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

Lucent

Yeah, I caught him before an edit and called him out :p

So, should I get the cards or the posters? The cards look really cool and would be much better than pins, but I LOOOVE that Kid Icarus art and I have a perfect place to frame it. The other 2 posters I don't really care for.

I'm not really sure what to go for. I don't really play normal card games. I like deck-building games, like the Resident Evil card game, but not really poker.

The posters seem cool. Though Luigi's Mansion and Kid Icarus posters look like they're not like standard posters. It would be cool if they were embossed or something to make them really special. Or maybe already framed. lol.

-sigh- Decisions...

EktorPR

When the site is up, log in, go to Account & Coins, then Coin History or whatever, and look for the section backlot posted an image of that says Elite Status History. I'm guessing you have less than 300 coins for 2012.

Here's what's probably happening to you:

There has been a bug with the site for a while now, where every time your current coins reach 300 or 600 you will get the congratulatory screen for hitting Gold/Platinum. This screen should only be displayed when your yearly coins reach those numbers, but it has yet to be fixed.

So if you had, say, 200 coins leftover from 2011, then registered products in 2012 and hit 300 coins on your coin balance, it would congratulate you for making Gold, even though you would only have 100 coins for 2012 and would not, in fact, have Gold status for the year.

I see. Well, I think that's what happened. I had a bunch of coins (about 150) left from the previous year and with this year's, I reached 300. So it was a bug, then. :(

olimpia84

This argument is just annoying, you realize we're giving them marketing information in exchange for goods right? The only reason the Club Nintendo system works is because it helps Nintendo track customer buying habits and opinions. Whenever someone registers a game and fills out a survey we're doing work for Nintendo.

Instead of paying out cash Nintendo leverages their IPs to create (cheap) goods for users who do work for them to keep costs down. They also use Platinum/Gold rewards as goals to encourage people to buy items, register them, and fill out marketing data in exchange for a mystery gift box of Nintendo swag. If that swag is underwhelming it is perfectly acceptable to call NoA out on that.

Nobody is forcing you to complete the surveys and register the products.

Alchemy

Nobody is forcing you to complete the surveys and register the products.

And your point is? It is voluntary work for a random reward (which in the past has been actually worth it), so we're not supposed to be disappointed in it regardless of what the reward is?

Quoting for a new page... am curious about this too

I don't think EU has elite status, and Japan got this Mario pillow.

fcZqS.jpg

ysOGh.jpg

iphys

It was a choice between the pillow or choosing 2 of 5 soundtracks (with the option to buy the other 3 soundtracks with the 400 quatloos it takes to reach platinum in Japan). Europe got nothing, as per usual, lol.

Drago

I don't think EU has elite status, and Japan got this Mario pillow.
This was last year, no? That was why everyone thought it was coming here... I think.

Does Japan have different new year dates?
It was a choice between the pillow or choosing 2 of 5 soundtracks (with the option to buy the other 3 soundtracks with the 400 quatloos it takes to reach platinum in Japan). Europe got nothing, as per usual, lol.
WOW

Now I'm angry at NoA, lol. Surely we could have gotten these, no? Damn...

Hero

Since this "discussion" invariably happens every single year, I am going to bow out at this juncture. Enjoy being mad, guys!

sorry? you should complain directly to Nintendo, I bet Reggie will send you a personalized apology, and you can frame it.
the secret Diamond tier reward

No more "useless" than the 2010 pvc or 2009 hat, to be fair.

Like those, they're meant to be display pieces, not worn.

So much bitterness

I thought you were going to bow out but instead all you're doing is continuing to stir the pot. At least follow through with something you say you're going to do.

iphys

This was last year, no? That was why everyone thought it was coming here... I think.

Does Japan have different new year dates?

WOW

Now I'm angry at NoA, lol. Surely we could have gotten these, no? Damn...

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure the games and everything are a bit cheaper here, so the Japanese are probably paying more to get platinum status than we are.

olimpia84

And your point is? It is voluntary work for a random reward (which in the past has been actually worth it), so we're not supposed to be disappointed in it regardless of what the reward is?

I'm a bit disappointed as well but I'll gladly take the free stuff they are offering now.

isny

napkin dispenser
Japan also gets new Club Nintendo promotions all the time, like with the upcoming Kirby compilation. (Club Nintendo members who purchased one of the other Wii Kirby titles get the compilation for 3000 yen as opposed to the retail of 4500-5000 yen)

Also the recent contest both Japan AND Europe had to win exclusive limited edition 3DS systems.

For those saying we don't have anything to complain about in regards to the North American Club Nintendo, that may be your opinion, but compared to other countries our program sucks and is such an afterthought to Nintendo.

randomkid

Haha Europe really doesn't get anything at all?

Thank god I didn't waste 2 hours of my life filling out surveys to get to Platinum.

How did it take you 2 hours? I breezed through 11 games in 15 minutes, were you like, responding for real for some reason?

olimpia84

Japan also gets new Club Nintendo promotions all the time, like with the upcoming Kirby compilation. (Club Nintendo members who purchased one of the other Wii Kirby titles get the compilation for 3000 yen as opposed to the retail of 4500-5000 yen)

Also the recent contest both Japan AND Europe had to win exclusive limited edition 3DS systems.

For those saying we don't have anything to complain about in regards to the North American Club Nintendo, that may be your opinion, but compared to other countries our program sucks and is such an afterthought to Nintendo.

Still better than nothing. Most countries (and even big regions like Latin America) don't even have a Club Nintendo award system

Alchemy

I'm a bit disappointed as well but I'll gladly take the free stuff they are offering now.

Well my original point is that it isn't entirely free, it is part of the service. We fill out marketing surveys for Nintendo and receive rewards. That is why it is completely fine to complain about the quality of the rewards. Could they be worse? Certainly, but that isn't the point. Especially when the Japanese version of the service provides awesome rewards.

Still better than nothing. Most countries (and even big regions like Latin America) don't even have a Club Nintendo award system

Debatable, I imagine if people had known they were code farming for cards or posters they probably would have not invested time in filling out surveys. Part of the problem is the mystery aspect of the Platinum/Gold rewards. It seems less of a way for Nintendo to reward dedicated fans and more of a way to act like they do without actually doing it.

zroid

Banned
I thought you were going to bow out but instead all you're doing is continuing to stir the pot. At least follow through with something you say you're going to do.

K. Those three posts were not involved in this "discussion". The first two were just replying to people, and the last one was a general comment (I frankly thought it was pretty benign, but apparently two people feel otherwise, so I guess it was a bad move).

Sorry if I've offended you. None of those posts were intended to "stir the pot" in any way.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier: I was a little surprised to see that there wasn't anything Zelda-centric. There is the Skyward Sword poster along with the other two, but Mario has been the focus of the "main" platinum prize for three years running, INCLUDING the Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary year. Seems like a bit of an oversight.
You mean a site where this is the main logo?

hFXEK.png

And you earn these for prizes?

a01RW.jpg

Doesn't seem like an oversight to me.

backlot

I really want soundtracks. If they offered soundtracks every year, I would be ecstatic.

Yes! I'm kinda hoping that after the maintenance they'll have some soundtracks as new non-Elite Status prizes we can buy with coins. I bet it'll never happen though.

Javier

Site is down for maintenance. Wonder if anything will change.

Nah.

EDIT: Heh. Came back right as I typed.

Fuzzy

Yay!

Thank you!

Your reward order has been placed.

Reward: Platinum Mario Playing Cards

Order #:

Your Elite Status Reward will be distributed before the end of December, 2012. You will receive a confirmation email when it has shipped. Click Reward Order Inquiry on your Club Nintendo home page to view your order status. Please allow 30 minutes for the order to appear in your Club Nintendo account.

Hero

I really want soundtracks. If they offered soundtracks every year, I would be ecstatic.

Oh, you mean soundtracks like Nintendo offers Japanese Club Nintendo members? Can't have that shit over here, what are you thinking? You should be fucking happy with what NoA gives us and be grateful about it. Can't complain about free shit on GAF!

isny

napkin dispenser
Keep redeeming for those playing cards!
It will make the posters worth that much more when I ebay em! =p

zroid

Banned
Come to me, shiny plastic cards

In Europe we just have a catalogue where we can straight up buy things from using points you get from registering codes from games. A lot of the things that we can buy have been platinum and gold rewards for the US Club Nintendo and aside from items going out of stock or game codes expiring, we don't have to abide by any time limits like registering so many things a year.
In my opinion it's a better system than the one America uses.

The whole Elite status thing really is rather misguided. It just encourages people to try and outmanouevre the system by hoarding codes and saving surveys. It'd be nice if Nintendo would unilaterally decrease the value of general prizes and make their Elite stuff obtainable normally.

I guess it *might* decrease the real-world value of some prizes, but I'm sure most of us won't mind.

Drago

Man I just don't know.

Cards that look incredible but will never be used or a poster I'll hang up and admire for a looong time (don't care for the Zelda or LM art, which makes the reward one poster for me)...

WHY CAN'T I GET BOTH D:

isny

napkin dispenser
Man I just don't know.

Cards that look incredible but will never be used or a poster I'll hang up and admire for a looong time (don't care for the Zelda or LM art, which makes the reward one poster for me)...

WHY CAN'T I GET BOTH D:

OR

Get the posters, sell em, buy Hyrule Historia, profit???

Clipper

Just successfully ordered the playing cards. I found it hard to choose as I really want the posters too, so I ended up picking the cards as they should be a lot easier for my buddy to reship them to me in Australia.

Fuzzy

Man I just don't know.

WHY CAN'T I GET BOTH D:
Ask isny how much he wants for the poster set then order the cards that way you get both.

I want a 10% cut for putting you two together for this deal.

jbueno

Redeemed the posters, those seemed pretty nice. Free is free I guess, but I would have loved one of those Mario Galaxy OSTs that were included in some Wii models.

zroid

Banned
Just successfully ordered the playing cards. I found it hard to choose as I really want the posters too, so I ended up picking the cards as they should be a lot easier for my buddy to reship them to me in Australia.

I was definitely on the fence until I found out the cards were plastic. That pushed me clean over.

I'd love to add that Skyward Sword poster to my three Zelda anniversary ones, though. Maybe the opportunity will arise someday.

isny

napkin dispenser
Ask isny how much he wants for the poster set then order the cards that way you get both.

I want a 10% cut for putting you two together for this deal.

What if I sell them to him for a reacharound and a salad toss?

Drago

Alright, I think I'm gonna go for the cards. Posters can't cost too much on eBay... right?

Now I need to ebay the poster and that Mario pillow :(

Top Bottom