• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So I registered a bunch of games that I picked up over the last couple of months today and the end result was I hit Gold and I'm 120 coins away from going Platinum for 2015, haha. I've got SSB pre-ordered for the Wii U and the 3DS and I've got Super Mario 3D World coming in tomorrow. I think it's safe to say I'll get those last few coins.

Now hopefully Nintendo of America doesn't hose us over again when rewards time rolls around...

donny2112

Now hopefully Nintendo of America doesn't hose us over again when rewards time rolls around...

They're closing CN in Japan, so if NOA CN continues, no more leftovers from Japan. Probably 100% digital from here on out for Gold/Platinum rewards + occasional big physical rewards.

I happened to be browsing through Gamestop's Power Up rewards thing, since I've built up some points over the years. They have a 3D World poster, a Mario themed backpack, a Mario themed beat buckle, a retro Zelda shirt, a Zelda hoodie, and two Zelda themed keychains. It makes so little sense to me that Gamestop has all of this for their rewards system and yet Nintendo has none for the one they personally run.

Still not enough to get me to buy games at GameStop, but yeah, that does indeed make NOA and CN look inexcusably pathetic.

AniHawk

They're closing CN in Japan, so if NOA CN continues, no more leftovers from Japan. Probably 100% digital from here on out for Gold/Platinum rewards + occasional big physical rewards.

i'd be cool with a new system:

-account-based (tied to your nnid) program
-get $5 back for every $50 you spend digitally
-earn points from surveys filled out, which can also be spent on the eShop (no more physical rewards, but far greater selection of digital games)
-platinum reward people get some sort of physical item at the end of the year, and gold members get a free game of their choosing

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Tying NNIDs and Club Nintendo accounts together is really something that should happen. Not really any reason for them to be separate, but linked.

Club Nintendo should also be integrated with the consoles, instead of having to use the site to put in codes and do surveys you should be able to do that from the console. And I don't just mean the web browser, but something more streamlined. That would make it a lot more convenient to use.

I'd like to see a rewards catalog with about 10-15 virtual console games selectable or $5 codes available for X amount of club Nintendo points.

Oh, and when offering VC games, make it available for all systems applicable and make it not occupy one of the rewards slots. And price your games consistently. 100/150/200/250 should the price tiers, for Gameboy/NES/SNES/N64 respectively.

maxcriden

-earn points from surveys filled out, which can also be spent on the eShop (no more physical rewards, but far greater selection of digital games)
-platinum reward people get some sort of physical item at the end of the year, and gold members get a free game of their choosing

Love this idea. I'm down for it for sure.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd be down if I could use my coins for eShop currency. I know the EU one has done it in the past for Wii Points where ### "Stars" = 500 Wii Points, 1,000 Wii Points, etc.

This is what should happen. Personally I think this is a way better idea than anything that came out of NOA's CN. ( well maybe not that mario statue, but sure beats everything else)

I'd be cool with this, I only wish they could do what Disney does where registering a physical copy automatically gives you a digital copy as well.

AniHawk

also if they make it a worldwide program, they could just make one item and have it shipped to all their regions with a rewards program instead of making several with every region spending money from their own budget, thus cutting down on cost of goods and improving the quality of the physical item that gets made.

maxcriden

I'd be cool with this, I only wish they could do what Disney does where registering a physical copy automatically gives you a digital copy as well.

As neat as that would be, with the trade-in and resell market being much stronger for gaming than for DVDs, I suspect it won't happen for a very long time, if ever. It would be way too easy for everyone to just buy their physical game, get the free digital copy, and sell the physical edition.

donny2112

It would be way too easy for everyone to just buy their physical game, get the free digital copy, and sell the physical edition.

Hello, Mario Kart 8 redemption nightmare revisited (with many people buying the game to get the free download, and then returning the physical game)!

krae_man

Free Club Nintendo codes!

Don't know what they are for, but I've already registered the games and don't feel like starting a 6th club Nintendo account...yet.

Enjoy

Man their physical prize pool has dwindled to just a handful of items. I think club nintendo is moving towards all digital prizes.

Also, what happened to the Smash 3DS + 3DS = free digital game deal? I haven't seen NOA promoting the deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Man their physical prize pool has dwindled to just a handful of items. I think club nintendo is moving towards all digital prizes.

Also, what happened to the Smash 3DS + 3DS = free digital game deal? I haven't seen NOA promoting the deal.

I think it may be a Europe only deal. It wasn't to amazing to be honest, it was a free game if you bought a new 3DS and a copy of Smash.

L Thammy

suaveric

When did Nintendo start putting the codes on the inside of the cover? Is Smash 3DS the first game to do that? I found that really weird.

bumpkin

Phoenix vs Layton. I guess for people to stop going into stores and taking the codes out of boxes
Good I say. That was such a dirty, a-hole practice; especially in this day and age where LameStop is putting unwrapped cases for new games out on the shelves.

Platy

The Soundtrack part of the questionary for smash is ... weird.

I bought my 3ds and wiiu as soon as I could BECAUSE smash bros was being made for those platforms ... but I don't want to say that I didn't influenced my purchase because I want more of those promos =x

zroid

Banned

I bought my 3ds and wiiu as soon as I could BECAUSE smash bros was being made for those platforms ... but I don't want to say that I didn't influenced my purchase because I want more of those promos =x

the Nintendo fan's dilemma :p

I made it absolutely clear on my survey that I bought the 3DS version for the soundtrack promo. I want to support as many physical Club Nintendo rewards as possible.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Phoenix vs Layton. I guess for people to stop going into stores and taking the codes out of boxes
Yeah, it's not like everyone doesn't have a camera on their phone with which to take a picture of the codes instead of taking the physical code itself. [/smartass]

It's not to stop people from stealing codes, it's to save a couple of cents per game in printing costs.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

It's... kind of easier for it to happen at Gamestop though. Pull it out of the display model, take photo/write it down, and go. At least some GSs would put the code IN the gutted envelope.

-Horizon-

When did Nintendo start putting the codes on the inside of the cover? Is Smash 3DS the first game to do that? I found that really weird.
It was so weird when I tried looking for my code and then saw the lettering through the holes in the inside of the case.
Stop being so sneaky nintendo.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I was honest, I would have liked skipped the 3DS release if not for the Soundtrack. I really like OST CDs.

zroid

Banned
Just hit platinum. Didn't even pull from my stash of codes at all. I need to start thinking about when some of my codes are expiring because a few are getting pretty old...

Got there quickly largely because of Mario Kart 8 (needed to reg for the free game), Wii Party U (free eShop game), Game & Wario (free eShop game), Hyrule Warriors (Ganondorf DLC), and Smash 3DS (soundtrack). Nintendo's doing well to give us all these promotions for registering games early.

I put on my Smash 3DS survey that I would not have bought the game (at least not for a long time) if I hadn't received the Platinum demo (which really warmed me up to the idea of owning both versions of the game) and if they hadn't been doing the soundtrack CD. Before the demo and the soundtrack CD promo I was set on just waiting for Smash U.

donny2112

I answered the truth. The OST made no difference to me for Smash. Prefer portable versions of all my games (e.g. 3DS, Off-TV play for Wii U), so was ready and raring for a 3DS Smash. Had to get Wii U Smash for another GameCube controller (with the sticks on those getting loose over time, doesn't hurt to have extras now for 20 years from now!) and the GCN controller Wii U adapter (looking forward to seeing what else will work with it) and the fact it's Smash Bros. (though didn't put a whole lot of time into Brawl).

Top Bottom