• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US/CAN Club Nintendo Thread: New and improved. Read the OP.

donny2112

Question: I have multiple Ds/3ds systems. If I use my coins to purchase a downloadable game, can I choose which one to download it on?

Yes, as they just send you a download code (only works on 3DS systems, not DSi). Use the download code on any 3DS system you have.

Reclaimer

Yes, as they just send you a download code (only works on 3DS systems, not DSi). Use the download code on any 3DS system you have.

Thanks!

That's really too bad if the codes don't work on the DsiXL. I much prefer my pixel art DsiWare games on the old XL instead of the 3ds.

Anustart

Donkey Kong posters came in, and I must say, I like them a lot more than I thought I would. And to top it off, I thought I was going to like the dk/diddy one the most, but I'm actually more impressed with the other two more.

The quality on these things is very nice and exceeded expectations. Would order again, 10/10.

Downhome

I'm totally new to this. I started an account a while back, but never added all my points and everything. Since I got double points by buying NSMB2 on the shop, I decided to take care of it all. I just added a ton of stuff and I hit gold pretty quick, and then hit platinum and I'm still adding points as I sit here. I'm confused, do I get free stuff for reaching gold and platinum or am I just able to exchange points for items like that now? Not sure what to do now, thanks!

Thoraxes

I'm totally new to this. I started an account a while back, but never added all my points and everything. Since I got double points by buying NSMB2 on the shop, I decided to take care of it all. I just added a ton of stuff and I hit gold pretty quick, and then hit platinum and I'm still adding points as I sit here. I'm confused, do I get free stuff for reaching gold and platinum or am I just able to exchange points for items like that now? Not sure what to do now, thanks!

Both.

Coins earned during a period count towards Gold/Platinum.

Coins in possession are used to purchase normal goods.

donny2112

What is Club Nintendo?
bg-header-how-it-works.png

Club Nintendo is a free service provided by Nintendo allowing you to earn rewards for buying games on Nintendo platforms. There are several versions of this service in different regions (Japan, US, Europe and Australia being the main ones). Each region only accepts games purchased within the region, so codes are generally not exchangeable (although some selected European codes will work for the Australian service and vice versa). Both retail games as well as games available on the various console-based stores on Nintendo consoles qualify for rewards.

The benefits you receive from Club Nintendo come in several forms. The currency of Club Nintendo is coins. You receive coins for filling in the surveys you are given when registering the purchase of eligible games (see Earning Coins). These coins can be used to buy Nintendo-themed prizes (see Rewards). If you earn a certain quota of coins in any Club Nintendo year (which runs from July 1-June 30), you will also receive a special free bonus prize (see Elite Status). Being a member also qualifies you for certain benefits from time to time, such as discounts on Nintendo concert tickets and warranty extensions on registered hardware.

I'm joining for the first time and I have a lot of past codes to enter. What's the best approach?
Read this post first and learn all the mechanics. You may want to stop registering games after you have earned enough coins to reach Platinum Elite Status for the year (keep post play survey values in mind if doing this). You can leave the extra codes to make it easier to reach Platinum in future years too.

Downhome

Fantastic. Thanks for the quick response. Do I get a notification email or something for my picks, or is that somewhere in my account? I'll have around 1000 points if not more by the time I'm done putting everything in here.

Ah, so maybe I should just stop right now since I just reached platinum, hmmmmmmm...

Oh, one more question. It's fine to go ahead and register everything at once, and just not do all the surveys to get the points, correct?

rpmurphy

Fantastic. Thanks for the quick response. Do I get a notification email or something for my picks, or is that somewhere in my account? I'll have around 1000 points if not more by the time I'm done putting everything in here.

Ah, so maybe I should just stop right now since I just reached platinum, hmmmmmmm...
If you mean Gold/Platinum prizes, if you're earning coins now, they will go to reach Elite status for this Club Nintendo year, which goes until the end of June next year. The past year's reward deadlines have all passed, which only counted coins earned before July 1st, 2012. We will find out what the 2013 Gold/Platinum prizes are next year.

donny2112

Oh, one more question. It's fine to go ahead and register everything at once, and just not do all the surveys to get the points, correct?

Think the survey deadlline is 7 days now. Used to work that way, I think, but they cut that off.

Edit:
Talking about registration surveys here.

Downhome

Ah, ok. Eh screw it, I think I'll just add them all now anyway. I'll likely buy enough random games to do it again anyway, lol.

How many points do you get for registering the 3DS XL?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Ah, ok. Eh screw it, I think I'll just add them all now anyway. I'll likely buy enough random games to do it again anyway, lol.

How many points do you get for registering the 3DS XL?
160 coins. Other questions are all answered in the OP.

The OP and spreadsheet should both be updated for the 3DS XL.

Javier

Not sure if this was mentioned, but when you register the 3DSXL, one question in the CN survey says "Which of these games do you want to play" and one of the options is "Fire Emblem: Awakening". To my knowledge, this is the first time Nintendo publicly mentions the full title to the Fire Emblem 3DS game outside of Japan (not counting the fireemblemawakening.com domain purchase, since that was more of a stealth reveal).

donny2112

Not sure if this was mentioned, but when you register the 3DSXL, one question in the CN survey says "Which of these games do you want to play" and one of the options is "Fire Emblem: Awakening".

For a moment, this made me want to register my 3DSXL now instead of waiting years to do so. Fire Emblem. For a moment.

IrishNinja

saw taht too...i was gonna hold off registering coins, but honestly? i went plat and didnt register half of what im sitting on. between the WU, launch shit and 2013 3DS games, ill easily have next year on lock too. im just gonna register stuff when i see shit i want now.

donny2112

saw taht too...i was gonna hold off registering coins, but honestly? i went plat and didnt register half of what im sitting on. between the WU, launch ... and 2013 3DS games, ill easily have next year on lock too.

I'm not holding onto surveys expiring in 2015 because I'm concerned with making Platinum next year. ;P

Edit:
Realistically, there probably wouldn't be a problem getting to Platinum for many years at the current threshold and game release pace, if registering new games/hardware as they were bought. However, there's also no point in registering stuff now, when you don't need to.

This is probably a long shot but oh well: I've got one of those giant AR cards and I don't really want or have use for it. Anyone interested in doing an exchange for one of the 250-coin tier prizes?

IrishNinja

okay, so i finally finished off my DS library, i think. and what sucks is, im using this 3DS case for the 9 of those games i have, and the other page is just top-choice DS titles, right? but ive got enough of the latter for a whole other case, so i was thinking of grabbing the standard one...but half of it is an assortment of styluses. why would i want that many of them?! if i could just take that half out and replace it with slots for 9 more carts, id be all over it.

So I see the gold nunchuck is sold out. That was quick.

Where did you procure this information?

I need to ready some new coins if that's the case, I meant to grab those months ago.
The Hanafuda cards are now pictured and listed as "currently unavailable," whereas before they were just...gone. They wouldn't still show them if they weren't coming back.

donny2112

Was it already well known that the registration codes for games expire four years after the release of the games?

It was mentioned in the "Do you register you Nintendo stuff" thread, and my code sheets say they expire at least as far back as Fall 2010 (to expire in Fall 2014). Didn't check earlier, but was surprised it had it, at all. That would be before the ITB survey expires even! *mind boggles*

Clipper

It's 5 years, and it appears they only just stopped the practice of auto-renewing the 5 year expiry cycles to 10 years very recently.

Edit: And while adding an entry for this to make it clearer in the OP, I just hit the first post's character limit... First time I've ever had that happen on a post. Next time I update it, I guess I'll move some stuff to the reserved posts...

It's 5 years, and it appears they only just stopped the practice of auto-renewing the 5 year expiry cycles to 10 years very recently.
It's 4 years as far as I can tell. NSMB2 says it must be registered by 8/19/2016. Rhythm Heaven Fever, Pokemon Black/White, they all say they expire 4 years from their release dates. Every game I've checked going back to at least 2009 follows this guideline. It's the same story on all platforms, Wii and DS/3DS.

iphys

It's 4 years as far as I can tell. NSMB2 says it must be registered by 8/19/2016. Rhythm Heaven Fever, Pokemon Black/White, they all say they expire 4 years from their release dates. Every game I've checked going back to at least 2009 follows this guideline. It's the same story on all platforms, Wii and DS/3DS.

Where do you see this? Based on how many years my to-dos cycle through, NSMB2 is 08/19/2017.

donny2112

Where do you see this? Based on how many years my to-dos cycle through, NSMB2 is 08/19/2017.

That's the Intend To Buy survey. The expiration date on the registration code itself says 8/19/2016 (i.e. release + 4 years). So if you register on 8/20/2016, you get the 10 point ITB bonus but no coins for the game itself, apparently. Good job, Nintendo! :lol

iphys

Wow, they sure put that in tiny print for how important it is. I've never noticed a date on these inserts before once.

Clipper

OK, so after looking at a few random inserts, it looks like they started putting dates on the inserts sometime in late 2009 or so. Was always 5 years then, I'm pretty sure, as we never noticed the dates straying from the 5 year cycle when we could see them on the site. It also seems they reduced to 4 years on some titles probably when they went and remodeled the site so that we couldn't see the years. I don't have time to do an in-depth search through all my past code inserts and tying those to game release dates, but we'll probably get more information soon.

Wait, are -registration codes- expiring now? If so, for what games?
There were some reports earlier in the thread and I believed them this time. It was before the whole gold nunchuck thing, so it's a bit hard to find, unfortunately. They were games that would have hit their 5 year birthday within the last few months. I suspect they may have stopped the practice on the turn of the Club Nintendo year, but nobody else provided any other evidence to confirm or deny.

Top Bottom