• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Heretic said:
Fuck this ref. I fucking hate him. We played like shit but we still should have won. Bullshit penalty rewarded to them and a non call to us. Guadalupe better get ripped to fucking shreds by us.

they deserved it. tell Ream to not foul people running AWAY from the goal

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic you must not watch soccer because that was a clear penalty by Ream. He was an idiot making that tackle.

I almost have a clear complaint about everyone on the team. Boca, Bedoya, and Jozy all took stupid yellows. I hate Ream the most right now.

Slizz

sazabirules said:
Heretic you must not watch soccer because that was a clear penalty by Ream. He was an idiot making that tackle.

The way I saw it, Ream was trying to clear, then he tapped the ball with his plant foot, whiffed. Then proceeded takedown the Panama player.

NoRéN

Heres the Quarterfinal breakdown.
Quarterfinals
Group A runner-up v Group B runner-up
Group A winner v Group B/C third-place
Group B winner v Group C runner-up
Group C winner v Group A/B third place

Stuck

Man, really thought the US was going to get the equalizer there in the final minutes. Got to regroup for the rest of the tournament.

Heretic

sazabirules said:

I almost have a clear complaint about everyone on the team. Boca, Bedoya, and Jozy all took stupid yellows. I hate Ream the most right now.
Been playing soccer my whole life. He was pushed as he was kicking, in turn he fell back. It wasn't a penalty.

man, I definitely feel this loss. ugh.

I know the coach is not to blame as there was plenty of stupid on the field tonight but I'd still like to see what a foreign coach could do for us.

That said, I hope this opens our eyes to the fact that we can't sleep walk to the finals.

but seriously...Wondo...put that crap away man!

The build up that led to the Bradley miss near the end was actually quite nice. We neeeeeed much more of that type passing.

Heretic

Gamecocks625 said:
man, I definitely feel this loss. ugh.

I know the coach is not to blame as there was plenty of stupid on the field tonight but I'd still like to see what a foreign coach could do for us.

That said, I hope this opens our eyes to the fact that we can't sleep walk to the finals.

but seriously...Wondo...put that crap away man!

The build up that led to the Bradley miss near the end was actually quite nice. We neeeeeed much more of that type passing.
We had plenty of chances at winning this game. Bradley made the right changes. We just don't seem to hustle until there's little time left on the clock. I'm not saying to kick the ball up every chance we get but we played the ball in the back field for a good 5 minutes when we clearly should be making a push.

xbhaskarx

Well that was embarrassing, our first loss ever in the Gold Cup group stage and it's to freaking Panama at home.

I will punch the next person who praises Tim Ream for his ball distribution. We were just fine back in the days of Gooch and DeMerit, give me defenders who actually know how to defend any day.

methodman

Banned
Does the blame go on Bob Bradley? I think it has to. The guy just continually gets chances, and the team keeps performing exactly the same (look like they aren't even trying for the first half of the game, and trying to play catchup later). Same story different year. Fuck you bob.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
methodman said:
Does the blame go on Bob Bradley? I think it has to. The guy just continually gets chances, and the team keeps performing exactly the same (look like they aren't even trying for the first half of the game, and trying to play catchup later). Same story different year. Fuck you bob.

He deserves a lot of the blame but we also have to blame the players for last night. Their performance was abysmal.

Mindlog

I checked the tape. The Panamanian goal wasn't regulation. They shortened the width by 40 feet or so. Final score should have been 3-2~

The first BS yellow seemed like it scared the D a bit. They gave up way too much space on the charge that led to one of the goals. Then again the D hasn't exactly been reliable even without some outside motivation. That PK foul was awful.

I don't want to swing too hard after just a game or two or three, but there has not been a lot of positive takeaway.

Even when he makes a mistake I find it hard to hate on Howard. It's nice seeing someone get so pissed off on the field. goalies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Mindlog said:
I checked the tape. The Panamanian goal wasn't regulation. They shortened the width by 40 feet or so. Final score should have been 3-2~

The first BS yellow seemed like it scared the D a bit. They gave up way too much space on the charge that led to one of the goals. Then again the D hasn't exactly been reliable even without some outside motivation. That PK foul was awful.

I don't want to swing too hard after just a game or two or three, but there has not been a lot of positive takeaway.

Even when he makes a mistake I find it hard to hate on Howard. It's nice seeing someone get so pissed off on the field. goalies.

What did Howard do wrong? I couldn't expect much better from Howard on the first goal. His team left him out to dry and left that guy unmarked. Altidore put his arm in the air claiming an offside and let the guy head it in. His and Boca's fault.

So many missed chances at the end. Wondo, Bradley, Donovan... There are probably more I'm forgetting. We honestly deserved to lose. No one looked like they wanted to win or even play in the 1st half. Donovan is supposed to be a game changer and he was invisible for most of the match. The only game changers we had were our defensive lapses.

I can see several changes being made for Guadeloupe. Kljestan seemed to be the most efficient sub and I could see him starting on Tuesday. I'm praying Bradley at least uses Boca as a CB and Lichaj as a LB for this game.

xbhaskarx

sazabirules said:
What did Howard do wrong? I couldn't expect much better from Howard on the first goal. His team left him out to dry and left that guy unmarked. Altidore put his arm in the air claiming an offside and let the guy head it in. His and Boca's fault.

Well if there is no rebound there is no
Goodson own-
goal, but I agree it's primarily on Altidore and Bocanegra.

xbhaskarx

PCarrESPN: "El Salvador's win by 'only' 5 goals means that USA will advance with merely a tie vs Guadaloupe."

Too humiliating to even contemplate...

Meadows

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
PCarrESPN: "El Salvador's win by 'only' 5 goals means that USA will advance with merely a tie vs Guadaloupe."

Too humiliating to even contemplate...

*Sigh*

I wish the England team could play in the Americas! It'd make it a lot easier to get through/win competitions! Plus playing the Faeroe Islands or Andorra is ultra boring.

It always ends up as a boring 2-0 against crap teams because they play 10 in defence and play like they've never played before against a load of players that can't be arsed because the pitch is some hillbilly farm or some bullshit

Mindlog

sazabirules said:
Yeah some people were a little hard on him for the rebound. I don't really blame him for that one. Like you said we had so many near open chances we didn't capitalize on.

Slizz

DominoKid said:
Mexico is making CONCACAF look free.

like we should be doing ARRRRRRRRRGH!

It's pretty frustrating watching Mexico ball all over and us just looking like hot steamy turds.

Clydefrog said:
Mexico is going to destroy us :( (if we meet them in the tourney)

2009 was just a delicious sample.

Also, the mexican national team played a game yesterday (against Venezuela) and a game today. Which other national team is so badass that they do that? No one!

jamesinclair said:
2009 was just a delicious sample.

Also, the mexican national team played a game yesterday (against Venezuela) and a game today. Which other national team is so badass that they do that? No one!

Ok now. We all know 2007 was the one that really counted. I'm glad you guys were able to get a consolation prize with the 2009 final. It meant nothing. No Confed Cup to look forward to.

Speaking of which, Gold Cup really should be on a 4 year cycle.

Now if you guys take us down this year? You deserve all the recognition for that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My only disappointment is that we will probably face you in the semis.

Prove me wrong, USA. Let's take this to the final.

jamesinclair said:

Please don't bring the Copa América team up. You are not doing our cause any favours.

Heretic

Got my tickets to the Gold Cup. Here's hoping USA makes it! I'm partially rooting for mexico just so I can have some emotional involvement in the match. USA vs Mexico would be epic though! What are the conditions for us meeting? Do we have to beat Guadalupe and continue winning? If we come in third do we meet them in the semis? Come on, USA!

Slizz

SATURDAY, JUNE 18TH
QUARTERFINALS DOUBLEHEADER
NEW YORK - New Meadowlands Stadium
A2 vs. B2
A1 vs. B3 or C3

SUNDAY, JUNE 19TH
WASHINGTON DC - RFK Stadium
B1 vs. C2
C1 vs. A3 or B3

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22ND
SEMIFINALS DOUBLEHEADER
HOUSTON - Reliant Stadium
GAME 1
GAME 2

SATURDAY, JUNE 25TH
FINAL
PASADENA - Rose Bowl
FINAL

Heretic

Slizz said:
SATURDAY, JUNE 18TH
NEW YORK - New Meadowlands Stadium
A2 vs. B2
A1 vs. B3 or C3

SUNDAY, JUNE 19TH
WASHINGTON DC - RFK Stadium
B1 vs. C2
C1 vs. A3 or B3

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 22ND
SEMIFINALS DOUBLEHEADER
HOUSTON - Reliant Stadium
GAME 1
GAME 2

SATURDAY, JUNE 25TH
FINAL
PASADENA - Rose Bowl
FINAL
Thanks. So we can get Mexico in the first round... dammit! I want that as my final!

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Slizz said:
A possibility we could get them in the semi's instead.

There's no way that is going to happen. We either face them in quarters or the final.

Mexico play a 3rd place team. Whoever wins that match faces CR or the 2nd placed Group B team in the semi finals.

Slizz

sazabirules said:
There's no way that is going to happen. We either face them in quarters or the final.

They play the 3rd place team. Whoever wins that match faces CR or the 2nd placed Group B team in the semi finals.

Oh, damn. Lets just win tomorrow first, then I'll care about when we play Mexico.

Heretic

Slizz said:
A possibility we could get them in the semi's instead.
I got 10 tickets to the final. My nephew, lady friend, and myself are USA fans. The others are Mexico fans. They're banking on Mexico making it to the final and it's looking really promising for them. Hell it's almost a guarantee they'll take it if the US doesn't step their game up.

So we'd have to hope Panama loses and we win in order to see Mexico in the final? That bracket is not my friend today...

Heretic

sazabirules said:
I hope we are the first to score tomorrow :p We'd be the first team to score in Livestrong Park.
We can't lose. We shouldn't have lost to Panama. The only satisfaction from that game was that we had the possibility to win. Had they controlled the pitch then I'd be worried. Howard should have dove on that first goal... it looked like he half-assed it.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic said:
We can't lose. We shouldn't have lost to Panama. The only satisfaction from that game was that we had the possibility to win. Had they controlled the pitch then I'd be worried. Howard should have dove on that first goal... it looked like he half-assed it.

He did a poor job but like a page back I still blame Altidore and Bocanegra more for letting the guy go into the box unmarked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom